Test Drove a New TL SH-6MT Today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drove a New TL SH-6MT Today!

I drove a brand new 2010 TL SH-6Mt yesterday. Nice long drive, car was white/dove gray leather with 20 miles on it. Great car, I liked it more than my current 2008 Honda EX-L 6-6Mt. First off, it is a great looking car in person! It does not photograph well for some reason. It is a Honda platform that is upgraded to the max though. No mistaking that. It looks and drives like a super, super nice Honda. Sorry if that hurts, but the lineage is there. The dash is so similar and the body lines are there too. It is quick! It think the TL would edge out my Honda coupe in the quarter, the Honda was tested at 0-60 of 5.8 and quarter mile of 13.8 by Motor Week. Lots of wheelspin on the Honda, the TL just digs in and pins you to the seat!
The seat is very nice and the controls are all fine too. The engine sounds better than the Honda, very refined and nice. The tires are noticibly loud. Same tires as my 2008 EX coupe and wife's 2008 EX sedan so the tires would sound the same. But if you close the windows it is much quieter than any Honda. Still not serene like a Lexus though. Handling is stellar! You can just throw the car around it will do anything you want it too! But the ride is a touch on the firm side to achieve this handling, so if you want Buick, this isn't for you. It is a little softer riding and smoother and quieter than my Hondas for sure.
It's a great car! The clutch is so easy to master, the engine is like a turbine, the tranny is snick, snick smooth. Very tight body, I aimed at the roughest spots, I could not make it rattle or become unsettled. I really like it! But not for $43,000 or even $39,000 invoice. Not that it's not worth it, just that I will not pay that much! I'll wait a year or so and look for a low mile, divorce sale or something like that, for about $30,000. Then keep it for 5 or 6 years to get full value. This is fun car to drive, and looks great. But it is not a BMW in over all quality. So don't think that! But the cost to own and reliability trade off makes it a winner.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Thanks for the review!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CJS10
Then keep it for 5 or 6 years to get full value.
Say again?

Last edited by paulff3; 12-04-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I drove a brand new 2010 TL SH-6Mt yesterday. Nice long drive, car was white/dove gray leather with 20 miles on it. Great car, I liked it more than my current 2008 Honda EX-L 6-6Mt. First off, it is a great looking car in person! It does not photograph well for some reason. It is a Honda platform that is upgraded to the max though. No mistaking that. It looks and drives like a super, super nice Honda. Sorry if that hurts, but the lineage is there. The dash is so similar and the body lines are there too. It is quick! It think the TL would edge out my Honda coupe in the quarter, the Honda was tested at 0-60 of 5.8 and quarter mile of 13.8 by Motor Week. Lots of wheelspin on the Honda, the TL just digs in and pins you to the seat!
The seat is very nice and the controls are all fine too. The engine sounds better than the Honda, very refined and nice. The tires are noticibly loud. Same tires as my 2008 EX coupe and wife's 2008 EX sedan so the tires would sound the same. But if you close the windows it is much quieter than any Honda. Still not serene like a Lexus though. Handling is stellar! You can just throw the car around it will do anything you want it too! But the ride is a touch on the firm side to achieve this handling, so if you want Buick, this isn't for you. It is a little softer riding and smoother and quieter than my Hondas for sure.
It's a great car! The clutch is so easy to master, the engine is like a turbine, the tranny is snick, snick smooth. Very tight body, I aimed at the roughest spots, I could not make it rattle or become unsettled. I really like it! But not for $43,000 or even $39,000 invoice. Not that it's not worth it, just that I will not pay that much! I'll wait a year or so and look for a low mile, divorce sale or something like that, for about $30,000. Then keep it for 5 or 6 years to get full value. This is fun car to drive, and looks great. But it is not a BMW in over all quality. So don't think that! But the cost to own and reliability trade off makes it a winner.
Yea it doesn't because it is better. BMW quality sucks with all their problems. The interiors are also very plain with lots of hard plastic everywhere.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by paulff3
Say again?
I think he meant get your money's worth.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Yea it doesn't because it is better. BMW quality sucks with all their problems. The interiors are also very plain with lots of hard plastic everywhere.
When was the last time you sat in a BMW? I have to respectfully disagree. As much as I hate the plain flat ugly wood dashboard of the BMW, the material quality of the interior as well as the leather seats both are leaps and bounds better than the 4G TL.

OP--The reason why I choose the TL is because it gives me the balance of both luxury and performance with a price point that I could afford. Best bang for your buck like Acura always have done.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chaiwala
When was the last time you sat in a BMW? I have to respectfully disagree. As much as I hate the plain flat ugly wood dashboard of the BMW, the material quality of the interior as well as the leather seats both are leaps and bounds better than the 4G TL.

OP--The reason why I choose the TL is because it gives me the balance of both luxury and performance with a price point that I could afford. Best bang for your buck like Acura always have done.
If you consider rock hard BMW seats comfortable...please. Been in plenty of BMWs.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I think the TL interior quality is at the very least equal to that of the 3 series maybe with exception to it's wood grain material. I prefer the softer Acura leather seating and surfaces even if it is a cheaper quality and creases easier.

The 5 series is a little better off but barely noticable even to the touch. The BMW leather really feels as if it's ment for transporting your pets around, mainly dogs. It's too hard and durable, not nearly comfortable enough for a luxury car IMO. Quality and comfort don't always go hand in hand.

BMW and most German brands have very bland interior styling making their expensive interiors look cheap while Acura does a really good job of making theirs look better then what they really are.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Cruisin'

If you consider rock hard BMW seats comfortable...please. Been in plenty of BMWs.
Yeah, minus the "please" in there, I have to agree. A buddy of mine at work just got a 2009 335xi coupe (which is sick and fast, btw), but he even commented on the interior of my car and how he loved the white stitching on the black leather and how the seat "holds you in". Though, I will say the interior on his 335xi is sick, and he was able to get what I call the "football" interior, which in these parts we refer to as Umber. The interior on that car is nice, but he paid a lot more than I did for that ride, and he was impressed with mine.

I must also digress in that it's not worth the $39,000 invoice. The invoice price is more than that, and I have to say it's worth every penny. It's the combo of performance, techonology, and value that allow the Acura to win out with me. But then again, it always has...
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, I agree, BMW "quality of reliability" is not good, that is why I gave up looking at them! But my perception of the two cars, driving and sitting in them and touching them, the sounds, the materials, the fit and finish, to me the 5-series BMW's have higher quality overall that Acura. Your view may be different. But if TL quality was universally viewed as better, it would sell for $60,000, not $40,000.
I have driven about 10 BMWs over the last 2 months, all had great seats except, I did drive a 3 series with sport package. It had rock hard seats and ride. I could not get out of it quick enough, very uncomfortable. Now, the 5-series with "comfort seats" are a different story.
About getting "full value". I keep my cars 5 or 6 years. That way the cost of depreciation keeps going lower every year. The first year in a New TL will cost you $10,000 per Edmunds. The 5th year will only cost you $3,000 or so.
Like I said before, when cost to own is factored in, the TL is a winner and a very fun car to drive.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I prefer the softer Acura leather seating and surfaces even if it is a cheaper quality and creases easier.
...The BMW leather really feels as if it's ment for transporting your pets around, mainly dogs. It's too hard and durable, not nearly comfortable enough for a luxury car IMO. Quality and comfort don't always go hand in hand.

BMW and most German brands have very bland interior styling making their expensive interiors look cheap while Acura does a really good job of making theirs look better then what they really are.
I smiled at this, because your words could almost be a Buick purchaser complaining about an Acura.

:-)
Old 12-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Safety Car

Yeah, I agree, BMW "quality of reliability" is not good, that is why I gave up looking at them! But my perception of the two cars, driving and sitting in them and touching them, the sounds, the materials, the fit and finish, to me the 5-series BMW's have higher quality overall that Acura. Your view may be different. But if TL quality was universally viewed as better, it would sell for $60,000, not $40,000.
I have driven about 10 BMWs over the last 2 months, all had great seats except, I did drive a 3 series with sport package. It had rock hard seats and ride. I could not get out of it quick enough, very uncomfortable. Now, the 5-series with "comfort seats" are a different story.
About getting "full value". I keep my cars 5 or 6 years. That way the cost of depreciation keeps going lower every year. The first year in a New TL will cost you $10,000 per Edmunds. The 5th year will only cost you $3,000 or so.
Like I said before, when cost to own is factored in, the TL is a winner and a very fun car to drive.
You really sound like a BMW troll.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^ relax. The OP is giving his opinion (just like you are entitled to give re: BMW) - both positive and negatives about both brands. No need to start calling names.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Safety Car

I apologize. Just we have been having these type of people lately on here. I am sure you will find the car you will like. All are great cars.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by ggesq
^ relax. The OP is giving his opinion (just like you are entitled to give re: BMW) - both positive and negatives about both brands. No need to start calling names.
I apologize. Just we have been having these type of people lately on here. I am sure you will find the car you will like. All are great cars.
Until you've seen enough of somebody online to trust his posts, it is all cum grano salis.

It's just the way things are on message boards of all kinds.

Not that I know much about this stuff.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
And this is exactly why I like to [try to] look for and buy 1-2 year old, gently used vehicles. Let someone else be the one to get bored with the car quickly and take the big depreciation hit!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Racer

LoL.....Leather is leather, it comes from cows. BMW prides itself in performance so uses materials to harden the leather. Its their niche and always has been. Difference between Acura and BMW leather is not hard or soft but durability. If you own an Acura for over 5 years, you will understand what I am talking about.

I think this thread has strayed away from the OP's intentions so I will just leave it at this.

I enjoy driving the TL because it fits MY needs very well.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I smiled at this, because your words could almost be a Buick purchaser complaining about an Acura.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining each vehicle does what it does very well in it's own right, it comes down to preference. All BMW's are fine machines and the TL does not go complaint free.

I just think that it puts Acura dead smack in the middle of two extremes and really makes for a very effective luxury/sport balanced vehicle. That is why most of us are sold on them not to mention everything else they bring to the table.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
At least BMW gives you real leather. Virtually no one who buys a MB gets leather (except in the S-class). They get their euphemistically named "MB Tex" (vinyl). Now don't get me wrong, it's nice vinyl as vinyl goes but at the end of the day, you're paying premium $$$ for vinyl.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
"MB Tex" (vinyl)..
They've been doing that since the 60's.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
At least BMW gives you real leather. Virtually no one who buys a MB gets leather (except in the S-class). They get their euphemistically named "MB Tex" (vinyl). Now don't get me wrong, it's nice vinyl as vinyl goes but at the end of the day, you're paying premium $$$ for vinyl.
They give you Leatherette as a standard option, not real leather. You can get real leather for a much higher price.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Burning Brakes

WOW! I didn't know that about the MB! Learn something new every day!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingmeow
WOW! I didn't know that about the MB! Learn something new every day!
Audi and Lexus are the only tier 1 brands i believe that offer leather seating surfaces as standard equiptment. They all can then upgrade to full leather seats, door panels, console etc etc, for a price.

Acura only offers leather on the seating surfaces (Not even on the bolsters, headrest etc) and unfortunately no leather upgrade. The RL and ZDX may be changing this though but i havent really researched it lately.

When you purchase the leather upgrade package their is really no comparison IMO.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:42 PM
5th Gear

Look, I am not a troll. I have 4000 posts on corvetteformun.com. I have 1000's of post on trifive.com. I have some posts on bimmerfest.com. I want to purchase a resonably priced 6 cyl. stick shift car like the Toyota Solaras 6cyl-sticks, that I have purchased for the last 10 years. That car suited me fine! Now, no one makes something similar except BMW and Acura and Audi. BMW is the best car overall, not every detail! But it is so expensive, so unreliable and the depreciation is so much I don't want one! Ok! I bought a Honda Accord 6 cyl. 6Mt because it was so much better for the money than the BMW.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Grandpa

Look, I am not a troll.
Don't let people get to you.

BMW is the best car overall.... But it is so expensive, so unreliable and the depreciation is so much....

Ok! I bought a Honda Accord 6 cyl. 6Mt because it was so much better for the money than the BMW.
I used to have a G7 6-6 HFP Coupe. I understand. They're a hell of a lot of car for the money, in a way that most people will never understand.

But...the same thing with the G4 TL, I think. Just a slightly different league.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cp3117

Acura only offers leather on the seating surfaces (Not even on the bolsters, headrest etc) and unfortunately no leather upgrade. The RL and ZDX may be changing this though but i havent really researched it lately.
Wait, so my TL has leather on the seating surface ONLY??? Not even the side bolsters? The rest is "pleather"? Man, TWO days in a row I'm learning something!!!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Wait, so my TL has leather on the seating surface ONLY??? Not even the side bolsters? The rest is "pleather"? Man, TWO days in a row I'm learning something!!!!!
I'm not too sure. If you listen to Matt, the engineer who was the up front guy for a while, it was a part of their mission to minimise the use of plastics in the vehicle.

I'm not even sure how to check if it's plastic or leather, it's so good.

But Matt (his last name starts with H and is a short name, but I can't remember it right now) they wanted leather and metal, and as little plastic as possible.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Look, I am not a troll. I have 4000 posts on corvetteformun.com. I have 1000's of post on trifive.com. I have some posts on bimmerfest.com. I want to purchase a resonably priced 6 cyl. stick shift car like the Toyota Solaras 6cyl-sticks, that I have purchased for the last 10 years. That car suited me fine! Now, no one makes something similar except BMW and Acura and Audi. BMW is the best car overall, not every detail! But it is so expensive, so unreliable and the depreciation is so much I don't want one! Ok! I bought a Honda Accord 6 cyl. 6Mt because it was so much better for the money than the BMW.
Don't feel bad. They called me a troll here a few months ago even though I've been a member for over five years and actually owned a 2004 TL (my third acura and about my 15th Honda product total). They really get annoyed here if they think you are an outsider and you bitch about the ugly beak! BTW, I have about 20,000 posts on the Corvette forum.

BTW, I've driven two TLs this week myself. I found myself liking the cars a lot and actually pulling for them. But right now I'm dissapointed in the lease deals and am probably about to pull the trigger on a Lexus GS 350 lease.

I don't want to get into comparisons of the cars or the lease deals because my decision is based on a number of factors - just suffice to say that I think the Lexus is the better decision for me. But like I said, I was kind of pulling for the TL.

A quick sum of my complaints on the TL (other than the beak) are that the 5 speed automatic leaves some "dead spots" in the performance - at certain speeds when I nailed it the rpms were too low and out of the power band and the car felt lethargic until the revs picked up. It needs a 6th gear badly to get the ratios closer.

Also, I really am spoiled by ventilated seats. I would have considered the car without them - but the difference in lease deals just didn't justify getting the Acura.

BTW, the upside to the Acura is that I loved the seats and the stereo (tech).

Last edited by jjsC5; 12-06-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by jjsC5
...the 5 speed automatic leaves some "dead spots" in the performance
I've driven an automatic TL. The new six speed automatic will help the SH-AWD automatic a lot. I hope they start using it soon.

BTW, the upside to the Acura is that I loved the seats and the stereo (tech).
Isn't the ELS just phenomenal?

ELS had nothing to do with why I bought my car. But I have to admit that it has surprised me a couple of times...it's really quite good.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Drifting

but the difference in lease deals just didn't justify getting the Acura.
Why not? Are you sure it's the lease deal and not just the deal itself?

The only GS model that comes close in pricing and leasing is the base. They probably lease out nearly the same due to similar pricing and then it depends on the individual deal from there. Now I don't want to make it into a lease comparison either but to be fair one car comes loaded the other is rather basic but still a great car nontheless, I am not suggesting that. I don't know, it's probably not intentional but your post just sounds as if you are making the TL out to be expensive and not really worth it in comparison.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Why not? Are you sure it's the lease deal and not just the deal itself?

The only GS model that comes close in pricing and leasing is the base. They probably lease out nearly the same due to similar pricing and then it depends on the individual deal from there. Now I don't want to make it into a lease comparison either but to be fair one car comes loaded the other is rather basic but still a great car nontheless, I am not suggesting that. I don't know, it's probably not intentional but your post just sounds as if you are making the TL out to be expensive and not really worth it in comparison.
Well, I said my decision is based upon quite a few factors. Yes, the TL lease is significantly less than the GS - as it should be. The Lexus is a lot nicer car. You are welcome to dissagree with that - but I know a tremendous amount about cars and that's how I feel about it.

I don't mind giving more info though. The Lexus three year lease and the Acura two year lease are very close - like within dollars. That is comparing a loaded Mark Levinson GS to a TL Front drive tech with 18" wheels. No, I know what you are thinking - why am I comparing a two year lease to a three year lease?

The simple answer is that every one who knows me - including myself, know that I would not be happy with the Acura for three years, but probably will be happy with the Lexus for three years. I'm 57 years old and I have never kept a daily driver for more than around 24 months. And I've had a several cars that I've only kept a year or so because I just wasn't happy with them. I have kept a couple of weekend cars for more than two years, and one of my wifes cars, so I know it can be done!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Drifting

That makes sense and I can't really disagree. You have to admit that those statements were a little misleading to those unaware before being clarified. You may want to give the SH some more thought. I know you know a lot about cars and will probably agree that the dollar factor of the SH and what it offers is unrivaled.

Seems we have some things in common, my TLS has been the only car I have owned for over 2.5 years, mostly because the 6MT SH took an extra year to arrive. Like myself, it sounds like it really doesn't matter what you get you want a new car in two years time anyway. That's primarily why I buy Acura's, for their level of affordability, strong resale and the short term flexibility that provides.

Honestly, I really think that Acura gives you the best opportunities of getting out of it in 2 years time, if you really are dissatisfied or just want something else to that point, lease or buy. Anytime I have financed an Acura I have always received a return as early as the 2 year mark and I never put more than taxes and fees down and have usually got out of previous leases clean between the 2 to 2.5 year mark and at that time I was driving around 15k miles a year.

You are probably better off with current rates and financing even up to 72 months on a TL model vs a 2 year lease. I have weighed that option in the past and the long term finance is usually the way to go vs. the 2 year lease for a short turnover. That most likely makes it cheaper than a GS monthly and you should be able to easily get rid of it in 2 years time with a return. I have shopped that entire class and know that a TL SH can be financed for what most of those other cars lease for when equally equipped and for the same out of pocket but the Acura is the only one I have full confidence in that will allow me to get something else at two years while putting money in my pocket. What is even better is the car almost makes you keep it for 3 years time as that is when it hits it resale sweet spot and will net you good money even on lease trade in.

Ultimately if you do decide against the TL and there is nothing wrong with that, keep in mind the GS is near the end of it's cycle. The new E class, upcoming 5 and Infiniti M are looking very promising and since your are going to spend that kind of money anyway they might be a bit more tolerable for a 3 year lease. There should be a new A6 somewhere in there too.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

That makes sense and I can't really disagree. You have to admit that those statements were a little misleading to those unaware before being clarified. You may want to give the SH some more thought. I know you know a lot about cars and will probably agree that the dollar factor of the SH and what it offers is unrivaled.

Seems we have some things in common, my TLS has been the only car I have owned for over 2.5 years, mostly because the 6MT SH took an extra year to arrive. Like myself, it sounds like it really doesn't matter what you get you want a new car in two years time anyway. That's primarily why I buy Acura's, for their level of affordability, strong resale and the short term flexibility that provides.

Honestly, I really think that Acura gives you the best opportunities of getting out of it in 2 years time, if you really are dissatisfied or just want something else to that point, lease or buy. Anytime I have financed an Acura I have always received a return as early as the 2 year mark and I never put more than taxes and fees down and have usually got out of previous leases clean between the 2 to 2.5 year mark and at that time I was driving around 15k miles a year.

You are probably better off with current rates and financing even up to 72 months on a TL model vs a 2 year lease. I have weighed that option in the past and the long term finance is usually the way to go vs. the 2 year lease for a short turnover. That most likely makes it cheaper than a GS monthly and you should be able to easily get rid of it in 2 years time with a return. I have shopped that entire class and know that a TL SH can be financed for what most of those other cars lease for when equally equipped and for the same out of pocket but the Acura is the only one I have full confidence in that will allow me to get something else at two years while putting money in my pocket. What is even better is the car almost makes you keep it for 3 years time as that is when it hits it resale sweet spot and will net you good money even on lease trade in.

Ultimately if you do decide against the TL and there is nothing wrong with that, keep in mind the GS is near the end of it's cycle. The new E class, upcoming 5 and Infiniti M are looking very promising and since your are going to spend that kind of money anyway they might be a bit more tolerable for a 3 year lease. There should be a new A6 somewhere in there too.
I agree with a lot of your comments. I'm not interested in a Mercedes for a variety of reasons - no need to go into. The new BMW and Infiniti won't be available in time for me to get them. My lease is about up and I have no interest in extending it. I won't want to spend the money on those cars when they first come out because their won't be much movement on the pricing at first.

The reason for the immediate interest in the GS350 is that it has been a favorite of mine since it came out, and right now through this month there are tax incentives on leases in Texas. That is a huge issue on leasing a car in Texas. The savings on the lease I'm looking at is about $70 a month for 36 months. I should also repeat that ventilated seats are a big thing for me. In and out of a car in Houston during six months of the year ventilated seats are really nice.

Even though it is in it's fifth year, from an equipment and performance standpoint they have kept it up to date. With the 303 hp direct injection engine and 6 speed auto - it is noticably faster than the TL, and they updated the Nav system for '10.

BTW, I did drive a AWD TL yesterday. I did like it. But for what I use the car for, I have a hard time justifying the price difference. The difference is about $80 a month on the leases. This car is the one I just drive around the Houston area for work and running errands. I have a Z06 for the fun stuff.

BTW, 72 month financing is not the way to go - you're upside down in them for about three years at least - unless you put a lot down. Even then, the math just doesn't work. I've found that for trading every two years I'd prefer to not take any money out of my pocket for a down payment and just find good lease deals when the mfr is trying to move metal.

have not made my decision yet - still giving it a lot of thought. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. It sounds like you and I DO have a lot in common.

Last edited by jjsC5; 12-06-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Racer

The GS350 has also been my favorite ever since it came out too but I have read horror stories about it being a rattler. Its the one thing that drives me nuts about cars so I stayed away from it. I keep in touch with a bunch of people on Club Lexus and they all own a GS350/450h and all told me not to buy it.

You do realize that the next year model is going to be a complete new redesign right? I ask because you mentioned about the BMW and Infiniti being redesigned too.

Enjoy the GS350, its an awesome looking car and Mark Levinson is the only way to go. The premium sound system that the offer sounds like crap.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

The GS350 has also been my favorite ever since it came out too but I have read horror stories about it being a rattler. Its the one thing that drives me nuts about cars so I stayed away from it. I keep in touch with a bunch of people on Club Lexus and they all own a GS350/450h and all told me not to buy it.

You do realize that the next year model is going to be a complete new redesign right? I ask because you mentioned about the BMW and Infiniti being redesigned too.

Enjoy the GS350, its an awesome looking car and Mark Levinson is the only way to go. The premium sound system that the offer sounds like crap.
The latest I have read is that the GS gets a redesign for 2012, due out sometime in '11. I admit that I don't know how valid that info is, but it was reported in Motor Trend this month.

I also hear about quality issues when the current generation came out. Again, I can't say I know for sure, but think they have addressed those issues.

Like I said, it's not a done deal yet. The next couple of days are going to drive me nuts trying to figure out what to do.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Drifting

BTW, 72 month financing is not the way to go - you're upside down in them for about three years at least - unless you put a lot down. Even then, the math just doesn't work. I've found that for trading every two years I'd prefer to not take any money out of my pocket for a down payment and just find good lease deals when the mfr is trying to move metal.
Normally this is correct, it is very rare that it works in ones favor long or short term vs a 2 year lease but I mentioned it only because I had success in doing so with it on my 04 and just wanted to throw it out as an option to consider with these cars "usually" having a strong resale. I can't say how either option compares for this car right now or just what the resale will be in the future. At that time either choice was only a few dollars apart on a monthly basis, same out of pocket and I also bought the 04 late in the model year and I could have possibly done even better had I got the 05 instead. The car went in at it's 3 year mark with me having made a little over 2 years of payments. Just something to consider but I don't think you can go wrong with either car or how you choose to aquire it.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 12-07-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Racer

The latest I have read is that the GS gets a redesign for 2012, due out sometime in '11. I admit that I don't know how valid that info is, but it was reported in Motor Trend this month.

I also hear about quality issues when the current generation came out. Again, I can't say I know for sure, but think they have addressed those issues.

Like I said, it's not a done deal yet. The next couple of days are going to drive me nuts trying to figure out what to do.
I just talked to my cousin who is an engineer with Lexus and he confirmed that the 2011 Lexus GS line will be a complete refresh and will look nothing like the current GS. So you want to stay away from it too.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

I just talked to my cousin who is an engineer with Lexus and he confirmed that the 2011 Lexus GS line will be a complete refresh and will look nothing like the current GS. So you want to stay away from it too.
Thanks for the info. My decision has not gotten any easier today. I'm thinking very hard about a TL AWD - which to hell it had ventilated seats.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info. My decision has not gotten any easier today. I'm thinking very hard about a TL AWD - which to hell it had ventilated seats.
Purchasing a new vehicle is always a big decison especially with so many options out there. I was in your shoes some months ago. I came from a Lexus before getting my TL SH-AWD and had the ventilated seats in my vehicle. While the ventilated seats was a nice feature in my car, it was not really a purchasing consideration for my next vehicle. One reason is that the Lexus ventilated seats are really just "ventilated seats" and nothing like the "cooled seats" offered in some Lincoln vehicles - which is really a big difference. However, I can understand it is a big consideration for you due to the hot temperatures in Houston. I did look at a 2009 GS 350 AWD with Nav as a replacement vehicle but decided against it for a few other reasons. My dealer also had a brand new left over 2008 GS 460 which was really the more exciting one of the duo. I was very close to getting the GS 460 but concluded that it would be a challenge to drive in the snow with so much power and rear wheel drive. Good luck with finding a new car!

Last edited by GrigioTL; 12-07-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Racer

Ventilated seats has me miffed too. The RL has it so why can't they have it in the TL? Maybe they want to justify the higher price for the RL

Quick Reply: Test Drove a New TL SH-6MT Today!