Taking delivery today... Need a little advice on a couple of mods.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking delivery today... Need a little advice on a couple of mods.

I'm taking delivery today of my '10 Polished Metal Metallic TL-AWD with Ebony Interior. Eventually, I plan on doing the Splash-guards (should be done today or tomorrow... dealer had to order them), RJ Grille, Halo's (JnC mods likely), amber fog lights, some interior LED mods. WHo knows other than that... I'm not typically the type to do other than cosmetic changes so likely no intake or exhaust mods for example.

FIRST UP however, is:

A: Tinting.
I've already decided I'm getting Huper Optics ceramic film. Got it narrowed down to 2 shops that come highly recommended and I've been to one to look at workmanship and the shop.
Recommendations on Tint values for front/back/rear???

I want to stay legal and not attract cops... and I don't want TOO dark. Anyone have suggestions and/or pics that you can point me to?
B: Clear bra
Same two shops as tinting... One of them seems to carry them in stock for the TL's where the other would likely have to order... I have to call and get a bid. both use same material. The one that has it in stock does bra, bumper, fenders, outside mirrors, and under the door pulls. The other (as I recall) only does bra, bumpers and mirrors.
Is this really worth the money? Any issues with the visible edges? What about Car washes (at a good place...) Detailing and waxing etc? I'm going to poke around the forums and net a bit too, but would appreciate specifics.
C: Paint Protection.
The dealer offers this as an $800 option like most do. Offers the paint sealer/protectant, the leather treatment, and unlimited removal of dents an dings. My car wash (that has a detail shop as well) offers their "new car" package at substantially less ($400 with a 5 year warranty)... they clay the car, apply poly sealer, leather sealer, but no dent or ding "insurance".
Frankly I've never known if this is worth it our not, be it from the dealer or from the detailer. Thoughts and comments?
D: Finally, the dealer offers a Windshield Protection
At $500 list, this is a "chemical treatment" that's applied to the windshield to protect against chips and cracks. Reduces glare and repels rain, ice, and snow. Provides a 5 year warranty to fix or replace any chip or crack in the glass.
Only reason I'm considering this one is that my '06 TL's windshield seemed to be a rock-magnet. My best friend's '05 TL was the same. He and I both had more than our share of chips and cracks in our windshield. Funny thing though... NEITHER of us has/had a single chip in the nose paint. It's like the aerodynamics would deflect a rock away from the nose and right into the windshield.
Any opinions at all would be greatfully appreciated on any of the above topics!!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Slight update... on the Paint Protection, one shop uses Clearshield and covers the Bumper, Fenders, Bra, Headlights, Mirrors, and Door pulls. The other shop uses Xpel and covers the Bra, Bumper, and Mirrors. Clearshop shop has it in stock, and I also have the option of paying about half and getting the bra, bumper, and mirrors only. The Xpel shop is more expensive than the full Clearshield package, and would have to be ordered from Mfg.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I added both tint and clear bra.

My tint is 35% which is the legal limit in CO. You should check your state laws to make sure you don't go over their limit. I wanted the Huper Optik, but no dealers around here. I don't think you can beat the performance of the HO tint. Maybe around 50% if you don't want it too dark. You can search some of the other threads to see pics of different %'s and how dark they look.

I've had good experience with 3M clear bras. They've managed to protect the front end form some nasty stone chips and the "sanding" effect from the gravel they use on the roads here in the winter. For a few hundred dollars I think it's a good way to protect the paint.

As far as C & D go, I think they are just a waste of money, "snake oil" if you will. I was offered the Paint treatment for about $1000. It's nothing you couldn't do yourself or have a detail shop for considerably less. The windshield treatment is not any better IMO. Sounds like a Rain-X style treatment, and the chip repair you have done almost anywhere for between $25-50. My auto insurance has full glass coverage, so if I need a replacement, they foot the bill.

Just my 2 cents, but if you think those other items are worth it to you, then go for it. Congrats on the new car and make sure to enjoy it!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
^I agree with C & D. Paint sealer, paint protection, rust proof, leather protection/sealer, VIN etching, etc... are just waste of money and pure profits for the dealer. They have little to no resale value, and is not a coincidence dealerships spend time to get you to buy them.

Welcome to AZ btw!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Advanced

Thanks guys....
As for the clear bra... any thoughts Clearshield vs. Xpel?

C is off my list. D is for the insurance part... My auto insurance has chip repair for free, and only a $50 deduct for a complete windshield. Heh... I had to replace the windshield twice on my '06 TL and I have a local shop that uses original Honda glass and does a superb job and each cost me only a couple of hundred.

Only reason I'd still think of D (and I'll have to check if it's little more than a RainX coat that I can get at my detailer for really cheap) is that it supposedly helps prevent chips and cracks.

I'm also poking around AZ looking at photos for tints.

(And thanks for the welcome Docboy... even though I've been here for almost 4 years!)

D.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by brassai
Thanks guys....
As for the clear bra... any thoughts Clearshield vs. Xpel?

C is off my list. D is for the insurance part... My auto insurance has chip repair for free, and only a $50 deduct for a complete windshield. Heh... I had to replace the windshield twice on my '06 TL and I have a local shop that uses original Honda glass and does a superb job and each cost me only a couple of hundred.

Only reason I'd still think of D (and I'll have to check if it's little more than a RainX coat that I can get at my detailer for really cheap) is that it supposedly helps prevent chips and cracks.

I'm also poking around AZ looking at photos for tints.

(And thanks for the welcome Docboy... even though I've been here for almost 4 years!)

D.
brassai....I side with the others here regarding paint sealant and interior "guard" products.

I've yet to see any of the paint sealants they sell to be anywhere near as good as a couple of good Zaino applications. And, every one I've ever spoken to who bought paint sealant from their dealer has said the warranty is so restrictive (like having to have the sealant reapplied every year for another charge), that it wasn't worth it.

As far as interior protection packages, I don't know how stains can penetrate leather. Not saying there aren't ways to do it. But, it would have to be something pretty caustic to do so. Some good leather cleaner usually takes care of those. Get a can of ScotchGuard to put on your carpets for $5-$10 and you're in business.

Depending on where you go, a tint plus clear bra application is going to run in the $800-$1,000 neighborhood. In my neck of the woods, 50% tint is the legal limit. So, from a cosmetic standpoint, not much of a difference between what the TL comes with, and aftermarket. Plus, now that I have a white car, I don't know whether tinting would make much of a difference in the summer.

Clearbra? I don't think the brand matters. The quality of the installation does, however. I've seen some good installs. I've seen some bad installs. There's really no way of knowing which is which until after the fact.

Lastly, windshield protection. I've had a few chips before. Those places that charge $50 to fill in chips do a great job. Cracks? That's only happened once. A rock flew off a construction truck and hit my windshield. I had the good sense to get his license number. The company which owned the truck verified the truck was in the vicinity when that happened and had their insurance company pay for the replacement. I vote "no" on that, too.

Last edited by graphicguy; 04-16-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Boy that dealer has all the guns out on this one. Just do the mods you want and forget the rest and enjoy the car. It will be fine without all the extra protection packages.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would do the tint and clearbra (esp. if you do a lot of highway driving). The rest are worthless and just adds $$ to the dealer's pockets.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Advanced

Yeah... don't even know why I was considering the dealer options (C and D). I know better than that. I guess I was tired when I read through these AFTER I'd already made my deal (a whole day later).

The tinting I consider a must... even though I'm in Northern Ca. We do plan on doing some traveling, and more importantly I have a skin issue that makes me rather sensitive to the sun... I burn easily and when I do, well... let's just say that when the burn is gone it's not pretty. I gotta have that UV protection.

I saw a BMW 3-series coupe over at the tinter's today, and while it's illegal in Ca. he'd tinted the front windows and the windshield with a 70% film where the rear was at like 30%. Looked really good... and he had them use Huper Optics film. I can't see me doing the windshield, but I will be doing the front side windows (while not exactly legal, most police will ignore it at 70%)

The other Tinter I was referred to uses a ceramic film from Global. Anyone heard of that film? I haven't really found much of anything, although I haven't done a detailed search yet. The advantage to him is that he's a lot cheaper (although again... highly recommended) and he actually removes the door windows to get an edge-edge coverage and bakes them in an IR oven so that you don't have the usual 2 day wait for rolling down the windows.

I'm definitely using the first guy for the clear bra, assuming I'm going to get it... he's cheaper than the other place, and covers more. Bumper, headlights, fenders, hood (fenders and hood to 30% from the front), trunk access, door handle pockets, and review mirrors. My only two concerns there are the line across the hood,and if they do the headlights, what do I do when I do a JnC mod??

Thanks again for the help. AZ was invaluable when I got my '06 and is coming through again!