Switched from 4G FWD to 4G SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wildchild_8635
man pete, omg! man you know you just bought your way out of the ridicule pile that all of us 4g owners have been sitting in. congradulations. i wanna be just like you when i grow up. i know you will keep us posted. the 0-60 is only a tenth of a second faster. are you feeling that much of an increase in acceleration? what kind of brakes are on the awd? details please!
Am I detecting a bit of sarcasm there wildchild_8635? ....Anyways, I haven't had a chance to really gun the engine since I'm waiting for it to break-in a little more. However, I did a few "quick" take-offs and I do feel an increase in thrust over the FWD car. The biggest difference, of course, is that there is absolutely no torque steer, wheel spin/hop, or hesitation in the AWD car....esp. if the pavement is anything but bone-dry. I don't think the AWD car is only a tenth faster than the FWD car, esp. given the superior traction capability and quicker final drive......more like 0.3-0.4 sec (according to Motor Trend's early estimates). But as far as handling....there is absolutely no comparison....the AWD car is on another level (according to Edmunds, lateral grip is 0.93!)....this aspect is what mostly sold me on this car......SH-AWD actually makes the 4G a really fun-to-drive car.....I just didn't get that same feeling with the FWD car. As far as the brakes, there is no difference....the rotors are the same size on both cars. If you upgrade to 19" wheels/tires, braking will improve somewhat due to the bigger amount of rubber.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Pete, congrats on the car. I too am looking to lease a TL SH-AWD because I own my own business. My question is what kind of residule did they quote you and what was the money factor?
Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pete--you're an effing maniac! Congratulations on the trade. It sounds like you made the right choice. Personally I'm going to stay out from behind the wheel of the SH 'cause I don't want to have to come up with another 3-grand if I love the SH as much as you do. I'm definitely avoiding temptation and telling myself the FWD is just fine. Now, stop grinning and making me second-guess myself!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04WDPinSC
Pete--you're an effing maniac! Congratulations on the trade. It sounds like you made the right choice. Personally I'm going to stay out from behind the wheel of the SH 'cause I don't want to have to come up with another 3-grand if I love the SH as much as you do. I'm definitely avoiding temptation and telling myself the FWD is just fine. Now, stop grinning and making me second-guess myself!

I know how you feel. When I got my FWD car last month, I thought for sure the AWD car would not have been worth the wait. When the guys at the dealership who test-drove the AWD model all said it was a "huge" upgrade over the base car, I didn't believe them and thought it was just sales hype. But when my sales rep called me up last weekend and told me that they just got the SH-AWD car in, my curiosity perked up....so I went ahead and test-drove it.....and lo and behold, after the test-drive, I immediately wanted the car...I told myself, THIS is what the 4G should really feel and drive like! Now, don't get me wrong..... I'm not saying you should just dump the FWD car and bleed more money to get the AWD one......the deal that was offered to me worked for me.....it may not be worth it to you. I'm just pissed at Acura for not releasing the AWD car at the same time as the FWD.........I think given the relatively small price difference between the two, more people would choose the AWD car had they been able to see it and test-drive it.

Last edited by PetesTL; 11-13-2008 at 09:40 PM.