Should I be smelling diesel fumes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I be smelling diesel fumes?

I thought, really I was hoping, that the TL's cabin air filter would do a better job of filtering out exhaust smells from the cars and trucks around me. But I find that any time I'm close to a diesel pickup I need to switch to recirculating inside air, or the diesel fumes stink up the inside of the cabin. I find myself leaving the climate control system on "recirculate", only switching to outside air if the windows start to frost.

I've been disappointed in the TL's ability to filter exhaust smells, but was I expecting too much? Would a better/replacement filter do a better job? Or is there really no filtering of outside air like I am expecting?

Thanks all.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by davelien
I thought, really I was hoping, that the TL's cabin air filter would do a better job of filtering out exhaust smells from the cars and trucks around me. But I find that any time I'm close to a diesel pickup I need to switch to recirculating inside air, or the diesel fumes stink up the inside of the cabin. I find myself leaving the climate control system on "recirculate", only switching to outside air if the windows start to frost.

I've been disappointed in the TL's ability to filter exhaust smells, but was I expecting too much? Would a better/replacement filter do a better job? Or is there really no filtering of outside air like I am expecting?

Thanks all.
It just a paper filter for dust. Its not a carbon air filter.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're expecting too much. I know of no car filter that will filter out fumes. The molecules are too small and they go right through the filter. You will need some carbon chemical combo that actually latches on to the molecules and don't let them pass. If you really want to see what they are go to Home Depot or Lowes and look at the filter packs that filter out hydrocarbons and the like. In order for those to work, the seal has to be perfectly tight around your face

I doubt they will be able to do a perfect vent fit w/o leakage in the car without adding to the cost of the car.

All these filters are particulate filters.

The best solution that I've found is to hit the Recirc as soon as I smell something or don't drive behind trucks or really old cars (which tend to have faulty catalytics).

Last edited by Kingmeow; 12-26-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the information. Now that I know the limitations of the filter I'll just keep recirculating air to avoid the fumes. For what its worth, the main driving I do is in town on my 5 minute commute to and from work - so I spend most of my driving time close to other exhaust pipes. ;-)
Old 12-26-2009, 04:32 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think it is too much to ask for..

Infinti offers a ACCS in some of there cars including the "G"
•New available Advanced Climate Control System (ACCS) – automatically shuts outside air vents when exhaust fumes are detected, while its Grape Polyphenol Filter removes airborne allergens from the cabin and the Plasmacluster™ air purifier uses charged ions to help reduce or neutralize airborne germs
Old 12-26-2009, 04:33 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
[QUOTE=Kingmeow;11599117]You're expecting too much. I know of no car filter that will filter out fumes. The molecules are too small and they go right through the filter. You will need some carbon chemical combo that actually latches on to the molecules and don't let them pass. QUOTE]

Infiniti offers ACCS..
•New available Advanced Climate Control System (ACCS) – automatically shuts outside air vents when exhaust fumes are detected, while its Grape Polyphenol Filter removes airborne allergens from the cabin and the Plasmacluster™ air purifier uses charged ions to help reduce or neutralize airborne germs
Old 12-26-2009, 06:45 PM
Racer

[quote=StonedCL;11599559]
Originally Posted by Kingmeow
You're expecting too much. I know of no car filter that will filter out fumes. The molecules are too small and they go right through the filter. You will need some carbon chemical combo that actually latches on to the molecules and don't let them pass. QUOTE]

Infiniti offers ACCS..
My friend has this in his M and its a gimmick. By the time it starts to recirc its too late. Like many things on many car nowadays its there for the sake of looking good on paper.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedCL
Infinti offers a ACCS in some of there cars including the "G"
Damn! I'm selling my TL and going for a G. Ramsey Infiniti is only two miles from my house.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Damn! I'm selling my TL and going for a G. Ramsey Infiniti is only two miles from my house.
I'll hook u up!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
10th Gear

Yeah I think that was a gimmick for auto sales as well. The recirc should do the trick, but a car can only do so much. The driver has to be sure of his/her surroundings and make adjustments from there.