Saw a new 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Saw a new 2012

I was at my Acura dealership yesterday and they had a black/umber unit, SH-AWD loaded, whatever model that is now. My observations are that the back of the car looks pretty much the same, that is the changes are not stark, however I do wonder why they got rid of the quad exhaust, the front is much plainer, but I like it better, particularly the black light lenses that look stunning with the black paint. One thing that is confusing is that the tires are Good Year, the mags are great. It has been a long time since I have seen Acura with anything but Michelin, which is a shame because I think they have amongst the best tires.

The Intrerior seems very similar, but I am not a fan of the Umber at all, as I like black interiors (sorry umber fans). The things I really noticed was that there is an extra button to the bottom left of the steering wheel where we have a blank, for the lane warning option, or whatever it is called, the aluminum trim seems like a plastic piece (mine has more of an aluminum material with real holes, which I prefer), and some minor changes to the contols in the center stack. The thing I was not aware of is that the seat heater controls are variable, rather than just high and low.

I wonder who would ever consider the RL, when this vehicle is so good, looks a lot more like an RL now, for the dollar difference.

After seeing the 2012, in some ways it's an improvement, and others it is not. If I was buying another car, if the 2011's were a lot cheaper, I would get this. If the price was close to the same I would get the 2012.

Mt 2 cents worth.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself.

And the RL is kind of a joke at this point. Hopefully Acura will redo it soon.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
Couldn't have said it better myself.

And the RL is kind of a joke at this point. Hopefully Acura will redo it soon.
Ouch! The RL is still a really nice car, but you're right, they haven't done very much to move it along, that's why I've traded mine for a 2012 TL.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Ouch! The RL is still a really nice car, but you're right, they haven't done very much to move it along, that's why I've traded mine for a 2012 TL.
Oh don't get me wrong, the RL is a great car! Acura just needs to redo it though, its been milked along by them since 2005. The price just doesn't make sense anymore. I'm curious to see what they'll do.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
Oh don't get me wrong, the RL is a great car! Acura just needs to redo it though, its been milked along by them since 2005. The price just doesn't make sense anymore. I'm curious to see what they'll do.
You and me both. But not sure when that will be and I suspect it will be taken more up market. That being the case, it will be bigger and more expensive which will be more than I would be looking for in a car. So, the 2012 TL serves my purposes. It is about the size of my RL right now and trumps it a bit in technology and ride/drive dynamics. I have really enjoyed my RL, but after 5 years, I just had that new car itch.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
After seeing the 2012, in some ways it's an improvement, and others it is not. If I was buying another car, if the 2011's were a lot cheaper, I would get this. If the price was close to the same I would get the 2012..
Well, you're not alone in this thinking. The 11s are already sold out in some areas up here and my dealership said they tried to order an additional 80 new '11s from Acura but Acura cancelled that order and changed it to 2012s. Hence, if you want a remaining '11 at good discounts still better get it now while you can if they are still around in your area.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Your one of the few that like the stock Michelins. On the 3G, they were really crappy. Not sure how the 4G owners are liking them.

Personally, I'm glad Acura is using Goodyear.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ggesq
Your one of the few that like the stock Michelins. On the 3G, they were really crappy. Not sure how the 4G owners are liking them.

No problems with the stock 4G tires....
Old 03-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Count me in the camp that hated the OEM tires on the 2010 SH-AWD tech (18s). More hydroplaning (even after break-in) than pretty much any other tire I've ever had (and I've had some cheapies too). Tire-rack seems to back up that the Pillot HX MXM4 is a poor "grand touring all-season" tire, and thats after 48 million+ miles reported (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS). I swapped them for winters after 2700 miles and am shopping for new all-seasons/summers + new rims as we speak.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
..... One thing that is confusing is that the tires are Good Year, the mags are great. It has been a long time since I have seen Acura with anything but Michelin, which is a shame because I think they have amongst the best tires.

Can't agree with that, at least not with regard to the TL.

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 - some of the worst rated tires on tire rack, but also one of the most expensive in it's category. $244 each -

Bridgestone Turanza EL42 & EL400-02 - ditto on survey results.

GY Eagle RS-A aren't doing so well either (17th of 22): http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS

And the GY are only OE on the 19" option according to this: http://www.hondanews.com/channels/ac...specifications

Tire Rack lists them (19" GY RS-A) at $244 each.

OE replacement tires are a scam, imho. Honda (or any OE really) gets 'em dirt cheap, but for replacement you pay out the nose for a sub-standard tire.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not impressed with the Pilot HX MXM4s on my '09 either... can't wait till they get low, but unfortunately, there's still lots of tread left after 25k miles
Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Advanced

the aluminum trim seems like a plastic piece (mine has more of an aluminum material with real holes, which I prefer.
I noticed this too. It feels cheap.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I had imagined myself moving from the 3.2 CL I had to a TL then an RL, I even thought that when I was shopping I might skip the TL and go straight to an RL, but the RL seems stuck in automotive limbo while the TL moved forward.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I actually already saw a 2012 on the road today, damn I wish I could get out of my M37s. Was also at the ATL Car show yesterday and stopped at Acura, they have the Forged Silve TL and TSX as well and the dark grey, the silver looks to darn blue in those lights. The dark grey looks sweet. What was expecially surprising is that they have an RL with in Pomegranate Pearl, WOW what a colro, much nicer than Basque Red Peral, much more metallic flake and a deeper richer red, that color shoudl be on the TL. I don't know what it was but almost every manufactuerer I looked at had far better colors, either richer shades and/or much better metallic flake to them.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I had a 2nd Gen TL and that stuff they call leather is a real joke.
Its low grade split leather {bottom hide} sprayed w a poly plastic coat.

How good or bad is the 12 ? Any Full Grain Options ??
Compare to '11 MDX Advance because
that won me back to purchasing my 3rd Acura.
The first was a Legend and it had good leather.
The '11 MDX Advance appears to be a real
quality Full Grain product w no top coat.

Also whats the ground clearence ???
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
The stock Michelin MXM4 and even the Goodyear RS-A that comes with the 2012 Advance package 19" wheels are all crappy tires.

The top Michelin's are Pilot Sport A/S Plus (all-season), the Pilot Sport PS2 (summer), the Pilot Super Sport (summer, coming out April 2011), and the Pilot Alpin PA3 (high performance winter) tires.

But Michelin tires tend to cost more than the other brands.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by KeithL
I actually already saw a 2012 on the road today, damn I wish I could get out of my M37s. Was also at the ATL Car show yesterday and stopped at Acura, they have the Forged Silve TL and TSX as well and the dark grey, the silver looks to darn blue in those lights. The dark grey looks sweet. What was expecially surprising is that they have an RL with in Pomegranate Pearl, WOW what a colro, much nicer than Basque Red Peral, much more metallic flake and a deeper richer red, that color shoudl be on the TL. I don't know what it was but almost every manufactuerer I looked at had far better colors, either richer shades and/or much better metallic flake to them.
How do you like that "forged silver" color ? Acura has discontinued the "palladium metallic" silver color for the 2012 TL's.

The dealership I went to doesn't even order this color in for the 2012 TL's, because they said it was an unpopular color choice on the TSX. Honda Canada will only start the production run of the real silver color (alasbaster silver) in June.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 2004 TL 6MT came with Bridgestones as OEM, and they were hands down the worst tires I've ever experienced. After 15,000 miserable performance miles I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport, and never looked back.

I've had no problem with the Michelins on my 4G.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
How do you like that "forged silver" color ? Acura has discontinued the "palladium metallic" silver color for the 2012 TL's.

The dealership I went to doesn't even order this color in for the 2012 TL's, because they said it was an unpopular color choice on the TSX. Honda Canada will only start the production run of the real silver color (alasbaster silver) in June.
I don't mind the Forged Silver in the bright sun, but in any other light it look Blue. For the 5G Acura needs to really get not only styling down, but colors! As much as I want back in a AWD 4G it is frustrating to see such poor colors from Acura. I am also dissapointed in them switching to Goodyear for the tires on the 19" tires. Even the stock Michelins are better than RSAs. I understand some of this is a cost decision, but honestly a $46K car and they put crappy tires on it!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I saw my first 2012 at the dealership today myself. It's looking good...

2011 National AcuraZine Meet-Kansas City-June 12, 2011-Details Here!

Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by halls120
The 2004 TL 6MT came with Bridgestones as OEM, and they were hands down the worst tires I've ever experienced. After 15,000 miserable performance miles I switched to Michelin Pilot Sport, and never looked back.

agree the bridgestones on the 3G were dangerous in the wet

love the Mich Pilot Sports
Old 03-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by EL_PIC
I had a 2nd Gen TL and that stuff they call leather is a real joke.
Its low grade split leather {bottom hide} sprayed w a poly plastic coat.

How good or bad is the 12 ? Any Full Grain Options ??
Compare to '11 MDX Advance because
that won me back to purchasing my 3rd Acura.
The first was a Legend and it had good leather.
The '11 MDX Advance appears to be a real
quality Full Grain product w no top coat.

Also whats the ground clearence ???
All I can say is I saw a fully loaded MDX at the dealer yesterday and that vehicle has a drop dead gorgeous interior, that kills the 04 and 06 MDX's I had in the past. That said, I think Acura has gone too costly for my budget and I don't want a large SUV anymore, which I needed previously due to my kids sporting activities. I no longer need this much vehicle thus theTL.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by halls120

I have had nothing but good luck and long wear with my Michelins, especially the Cross Terrains on my MDX and the MXV-4s on my prevous TL.I don't have many K's on my tires yet but they have been good so far and I have the x-ice2's for snows and they have been good.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 365 Posts
^^Same here. I was sold on Michelins by having them on Acuras and Hondas we've purchased. My friends are ecstatic reporting 45,000 miles out of a set of performance A/S tires - we've gotten as high as 80K+ out of previous Michelins.

I suspect the Pilot A/Ss are better than the OEM tires on my car, but the stockers are pretty good in the rain, pretty good in the dry, and I expect they'll last awhile. Will probably go to the Pilot A/Ss (or their successor) when the stockers wear out.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Rich and Famous

All I can say is I saw a fully loaded MDX at the dealer yesterday and that vehicle has a drop dead gorgeous interior, that kills the 04 and 06 MDX's I had in the past. That said, I think Acura has gone too costly for my budget and I don't want a large SUV anymore, which I needed previously due to my kids sporting activities. I no longer need this much vehicle thus theTL.
Yep ... drop dead goreous is a good description.
Also optimistic it will wear better than previous TL leather.
But would like to see a better interior in the TL too.
The cheaper grades they use is why I did not go TL again
for the second car in 2009{Wife}.

As for Michelin tires they also work well for me.
I have had 6 types on 3 cars {Legend, TL, and now MDX}.
I think some people bad mouth Michelins cause its one of the more expensive and there are a lot of cheap is better people.
For all you cheapo's ...
Continetals are good, cheaper w good waranty & includes hazard.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Intermediate

I think some people bad mouth Michelins cause its one of the more expensive and there are a lot of cheap is better people.
For all you cheapo's ...
Sure, Michelin makes some good tires, ones that are worth the price they charge for them. However, they also make some stinkers too, and they generally charge the same amount for these bad ones.

Bottom line, do your research. You stand to do yourself a long-term disservice just by assuming "Oh, I've had brand X tires before, they were good so this new model must be good too."

Just my .
Old 03-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
A few guys where I work are getting new sneaks for their rides, Hankook was the choice of for a Lexus, 2 Fords, and a Dodge. They are loving them.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 PM
6G TLX-S

For all you cheapo's ...
Let's be fair.

Michelin does make very good tires, in particular the Pilot Sport series which are regarded as among the best in the high performance category. But Honda never uses these very good Michelin tires as OEM tires on Acura cars.

Honda tends to use the economy Michelin touring all-season tires, in particular the MXM4, in Acura cars. The only good things for these touring tires are extremely quiet and comfortable ride, good fuel economy, and long tread life. They are no good at any spirited driving. They will squeal like crazy if pushed. Touring tires have no place in the sport sedan market, especially for the TL, unless grand-dads and grand-moms are driving the cars.

Even for the OEM high performance wheel/tire upgrades, Honda uses only Bridgestone and Goodyear as tire suppliers, never Michelin.

I guess cost is the major factor.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Rich and Famous

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I guess cost is the major factor.
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak
Just my .
Like I said above ... the world is full of cheap people.
Save your 2 cents and buy Continentals.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Rich and Famous

http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/ha...ractive/44737/

Harris ratings for ...
1 Autos {note where Ford is}
2 Luxury Autos
3 Motorbikes
4 Oil
5 Gas
6 Service
7 Tires {note HanKOOK}

But only if you belive ...

Last edited by EL_PIC; 03-27-2011 at 07:41 PM.