Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

S mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S mode

I have 2012 TL SH-AWD and I use the Sport mode quite a bit. I only the paddle shifters in full manual mode when in Sport. Once in a while i would like to drive it in S auto mode, but in Sport auto mode (ie without using the paddle shifters) it up shifts aggressively which is good but the gear doesn't shift beyond the 4th gear. This makes it quite annoying when I get on the interstate. 70+ mph in 4th gear is in fact impressive that the car does it with relative ease, but it's just too high revving to be pretty much in that gear all the time. I expect the gear to shift up if I let go of gas and coast but it never shifts up beyond 4. This makes the auto S mode unusable for me. Is this normal, I would have expected/liked it to allow the engine to rev longer for each gear but up shift all the way to 6th gear. Does anyone of you use S auto mode extensively?
Old 03-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 10mdxer
I have 2012 TL SH-AWD and I use the Sport mode quite a bit. I only the paddle shifters in full manual mode when in Sport. Once in a while i would like to drive it in S auto mode, but in Sport auto mode (ie without using the paddle shifters) it up shifts aggressively which is good but the gear doesn't shift beyond the 4th gear. This makes it quite annoying when I get on the interstate. 70+ mph in 4th gear is in fact impressive that the car does it with relative ease, but it's just too high revving to be pretty much in that gear all the time. I expect the gear to shift up if I let go of gas and coast but it never shifts up beyond 4. This makes the auto S mode unusable for me. Is this normal, I would have expected/liked it to allow the engine to rev longer for each gear but up shift all the way to 6th gear. Does anyone of you use S auto mode extensively?
I'm certain that you need to upshift with the paddle shifters, as in "S" mode is won't shift past 4th gear, at least that has been my experience.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by 10mdxer
I drive S mode all day, every day using paddles. I can't stand the way the computer shifts by itself. Your car is working as designed by what you describe. You'll have to get used to the paddles to get the rpm more to your liking. Giving your description, the only advice I can give is to switch back to D once your at desired speed, then swap back to S for any aggressive passive - that should automatically drop you back to 3rd gear right between 3-4K rpm (the power band imo). I think that's about the only way you could keep your rpm low without using the paddles and still give you the more aggressive feeling while gaining speed. My recommendation is to practice using the paddles on a daily basis. Before you know it you'll be shifting perfectly and still get decent mileage. Best part of the '12 (not sure if the earlier 4G's have the capability) is you can double down. I hardly ever shift to M6, usually M5 cruising anything under 80, so 2 taps on the left and back to 3rd for fun mode
Old 03-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
You don't have to use the S mode to paddle shift. Keep it in D, short shift gears with the paddles, and you'll get better MPG than leaving it in the RPM happier S mode.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
You don't have to use the S mode to paddle shift. Keep it in D, short shift gears with the paddles, and you'll get better MPG than leaving it in the RPM happier S mode.
Exactly!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Yep!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2012 TL SH-AWD base and your experience has been consistent with mine. I use S mode (and paddle shifters) regularly, but generally more in mountainous/curvy areas where I feel the ability to shift up and down manually is most necessary.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
It's all up to personal preference AMIGO!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But, when I hit the paddle in D it goes to manual mode and then fairly quickly back to normal D mode.