Road & Track 11/20/08 Road Test: 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Will have to take a closer look at it but I think the RPM drop with the 6MT on most if not all the gears is less then 1K so its pretty easy to stay in the power band.

The reason this thread interesting to me is all during the build up to the '09 release all you read on this site was how the 300+HP TL was going to kick every bodies butt big time.

Now that its here & so far it doesn't seem to be able do that the guys have changed to well what do you expect its a luxury car or its not a sports sedan or its the published times are all wrong.
I personally never said it was going to be a sport sedan nor did I expect it to. Maybe that's where we are getting crossed. But having one, I do feel it's quicker than initial times. I could be wrong. But I feel like 0-60 is quicker than 6.3.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Will have to take a closer look at it but I think the RPM drop with the 6MT on most if not all the gears is less then 1K so its pretty easy to stay in the power band.

The reason this thread interesting to me is all during the build up to the '09 release all you read on this site was how the 300+HP TL was going to kick every bodies butt big time.

Now that its here & so far it doesn't seem to be able do that the guys have changed to well what do you expect its a luxury car or its not a sports sedan or its the published times are all wrong.
Show me where and who have said that the 4G would "kick everybodies butt big time." See now you're making stuff up. The problem with you and all the other "haters" on this board is that just because Acura decided to take the TL into a different direction than what you expected it to, as a result it's become a "lesser" and bad car. Fine....go buy yourselves another car...nobody's forcing you to stay with Acura. BTW, the SH-AWD will handle/corner as well or even better than anything out there in its class. Acceleration times are only one aspect of a car's performance. (If that's all you care about, go buy a Corvette). It's also a one heck of a bargain compared to similar German rivals.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PetesTL
Show me where and who have said that the 4G would "kick everybodies butt big time." See now you're making stuff up. The problem with you and all the other "haters" on this board is that just because Acura decided to take the TL into a different direction than what you expected it to, as a result it's become a "lesser" and bad car. Fine....go buy yourselves another car...nobody's forcing you to stay with Acura. BTW, the SH-AWD will handle/corner as well or even better than anything out there in its class. Acceleration times are only one aspect of a car's performance. (If that's all you care about, go buy a Corvette). It's also a one heck of a bargain compared to similar German rivals.
I hate the word haters. it sounders so highschoolish. Anyway if people have disappiontments with the new car let them. You don't have to get worked up about it. Alot of acura fans where waiting on a big change for the tl and many feel it did not come. i don't think thats grounds for calling someone a hater. Acura could have easily put 320hp on this car but they did not. They could have easily had an 6at but they did not. They could have made this car much better but they did'nt. So if people are upset they have every right. 43k for a car you are not all there in the heart is alot of money to throw out the window. knowing honda they will make a beast out of the type s and is waiting to squeeze money out of people now before the release somthing better. it's the american way
Old 11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by kobi2002
I hate the word haters. it sounders so highschoolish. ....Alot of acura fans where waiting on a big change for the tl and many feel it did not come. i don't think thats grounds for calling someone a hater. Acura could have easily put 320hp on this car but they did not. They could have easily had an 6at but they did not. They could have made this car much better but they did'nt.
Oh come now! "haters" isn't even a word and to call it highschoolish' is giving it to too much respect. I don't think any of the things you stated would have been 'easy' to do. Not without some other sacrifice. The question at hand is 'how do they please everybody?' For example, you said people wanted a 'big change' What leads you to expect this? When have the ever made a radical change to the bread and butter sedan?

To argue the other side of the coin. Isn't the addition of AWD a big change? Isn't the 'hated' Power Plenum a 'big change'? Isn't the addition of 6" a big change?

In the end, the car is changed, and some will see it as a 'big change' and others won't. Some will say the car is good looking and some won't. BUT there is no one answer. Maybe we should talk about Religion and Politics instead! I'm sure we'll all agree on that.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Racer

I hate the word haters. it sounders so highschoolish. Anyway if people have disappiontments with the new car let them. You don't have to get worked up about it. Alot of acura fans where waiting on a big change for the tl and many feel it did not come. i don't think thats grounds for calling someone a hater. Acura could have easily put 320hp on this car but they did not. They could have easily had an 6at but they did not. They could have made this car much better but they did'nt. So if people are upset they have every right. 43k for a car you are not all there in the heart is alot of money to throw out the window. knowing honda they will make a beast out of the type s and is waiting to squeeze money out of people now before the release somthing better. it's the american way
damn long day i have some typo's
Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
Oh come now! "haters" isn't even a word and to call it highschoolish' is giving it to too much respect. I don't think any of the things you stated would have been 'easy' to do. Not without some other sacrifice. The question at hand is 'how do they please everybody?' For example, you said people wanted a 'big change' What leads you to expect this? When have the ever made a radical change to the bread and butter sedan?

To argue the other side of the coin. Isn't the addition of AWD a big change? Isn't the 'hated' Power Plenum a 'big change'? Isn't the addition of 6" a big change?

In the end, the car is changed, and some will see it as a 'big change' and others won't. Some will say the car is good looking and some won't. BUT there is no one answer. Maybe we should talk about Religion and Politics instead! I'm sure we'll all agree on that.
You got me on the last one
Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

You got me on the last one
Old 11-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Show me where and who have said that the 4G would "kick everybodies butt big time." ...... Acceleration times are only one aspect of a car's performance......(If that's all you care about, go buy a Corvette).......It's also a one heck of a bargain compared to similar German rivals.
You must have missed all the calls for 330HP, V8 motors, 6speeds etc to best the G37's & 335's on these boards.

I already have a Corvette, have owned 5 of them, & they also turn quite well, but you did seem quite interested in the SH-AWD TL's 0-60 performance compared to other cars yesterday.

You said

"I can't wait for Motor Trend and Car & Driver to come out with their reviews and comparisons. These guys really know how to squeeze the best #'s out of the cars. If Car & Driver was able to somehow obtain a 5.7 sec 0-60 out of a '09 A4 (which Edmunds only was able to get a 6.9!), I can't wait to see what they can do with a 4G TL/SH-AWD."

Now that Road & Track has come out & said its a bit slower then the base '09, much slower the its competition0-60 is it not so important to you anymore?

Its hard to equate a bargain car with a luxury car. Its a nice car for the money at the 3G pricing but starts to look less like a deal when its so close to the '09 Accord in all its various physical aspects but has a much greater price ratio spread then the 3G to the old Accord.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

No matter how you look at it, the initial release of the 4G is faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the initial release of the 3G. I'm talking in terms of automatics since we don't have a manual to compare yet. So... Acura is making a better performing car. I don't think anyone realistically expected it to be this super sports sedan. That's just what a lot of people seem to want. Acura is improving and advancing their cars... what exactly is the issue? If people want super performance they should know full well Acura has never been in that game.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
You must have missed all the calls for 330HP, V8 motors, 6speeds etc to best the G37's & 335's on these boards.
[PetesTL] said

"I can't wait for Motor Trend and Car & Driver to come out with their reviews and comparisons. These guys really know how to squeeze the best #'s out of the cars. If Car & Driver was able to somehow obtain a 5.7 sec 0-60 out of a '09 A4 (which Edmunds only was able to get a 6.9!), I can't wait to see what they can do with a 4G TL/SH-AWD."

Now that Road & Track has come out & said its a bit slower then the base '09, much slower the its competition0-60 is it not so important to you anymore?

Its hard to equate a bargain car with a luxury car. Its a nice car for the money at the 3G pricing but starts to look less like a deal when its so close to the '09 Accord in all its various physical aspects but has a much greater price ratio spread then the 3G to the old Accord.

The 3G TL was superior in acceleration to most cars in its class (and its predecessors) in '04 as well as a nice handler with a nice interior and lots of features. One reason I thought Acura hit the mark with the 3G was that it was shorter than the 2G.
The 4G TL is not only slower than its class/price contemporaries, but also bigger and slower than its 3G predecessor. The 4G TL is turning into a CTS- overweight, bigger, slow for its engine power and with controversial styling- less sport and more luxury.

If one likes the 4G, great. If not, there are other non-Acura choices.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CleanCL
No matter how you look at it, the initial release of the 4G is faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile than the initial release of the 3G. I'm talking in terms of automatics since we don't have a manual to compare yet. So... Acura is making a better performing car. I don't think anyone realistically expected it to be this super sports sedan. That's just what a lot of people seem to want. Acura is improving and advancing their cars... what exactly is the issue? If people want super performance they should know full well Acura has never been in that game.
I don't think being on par with the others in your class equals a "super sports car". handling has been improved yes, but it would have been nice to have more balls as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

I already have a Corvette, have owned 5 of them, & they also turn quite well, but you did seem quite interested in the SH-AWD TL's 0-60 performance compared to other cars yesterday.

You said

Like I said previously, acceleration is just one aspect of performance. I already knew going in it wasn't going to be a speed demon....what sold me on the car was the phenominal handling and traction with the SH-AWD, along with a few other cosmetic enhancements on this particular model as well as all the other bells and whistles. When did 6.3 sec become "slow"? The BMW 3 series and the Infiniti G are not the only competition to the TL....you have the Cadillac CTS (V6), Audi A4, Mercedes C-class, Lincoln MKS, Saab 9-3x, and the Hyundai Genesis.....among these models, the TL is VERY competitive. And we still haven't seen Motor Trend or Car & Driver's test results on a production 4G TL. Look, just come out and say it.....you hate the TL.....your continual ramblings are becoming more and more meaningless.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think being on par with the others in your class equals a "super sports car". handling has been improved yes, but it would have been nice to have more balls as well.
Sure, why not?.....It would've been great if Acura added another 30-40 more hp or torque to the 3.7.........was it absolutely necessary? No.....maybe it does to some of you gearheads here who can't seem to differentiate the real world from a 'Fast and Furious' movie. The truth of the matter is that the VAST majority of TL buyers, and esp. the 4G buyers, care more about quality, comfort, features, reliability, and performance in the REAL world. If you need to drive very fast and reckless, go buy a PS3.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Suzuka Master

No.....maybe it does to some of you gearheads here who can't seem to differentiate the real world from a 'Fast and Furious' movie. ....If you need to drive very fast and reckless, go buy a PS3.
I don't know if this method of making your point is the best way....
Old 11-20-2008, 09:27 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think pointing out facts is "hating". Thing is, owners will be offended. The last TL was a very beloved car not just by Acura owners but by nearly EVERYONE. It was a universally loved car. The new TL is here and well, there is simply not much love for it. The performance figures for this car are simply not impressive, these are figures the 2003 CL-S and TL Type S made, let alone the last gen TL. This is the new 2009 model? The "most powerful Acura ever"?

What is the point of debuting a car if it doesn't even meet or beat the competition?

I am seeing excuses, b/c now 0-60 isn't important. Well its not like these cars will be at the track? So what is important?

This is an ALL-NEW car with an old 5 speed, an old engine enlarged to 3.7 liters that is simply surpassed by the competition which is older, yet has NEWER technology.

I won't even touch the styling as that has been covered in spades. Its just plain bad.

The new TL seems to be aimed at a totally different buyer this go round looking at what the owners in this thread are stating. Performance takes a backseat to features and space and comfort. More Lincoln than Infiniti.

What is of concern is will sales goals be met?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Racer

Sure, why not?.....It would've been great if Acura added another 30-40 more hp or torque to the 3.7.........was it absolutely necessary? No.....maybe it does to some of you gearheads here who can't seem to differentiate the real world from a 'Fast and Furious' movie. The truth of the matter is that the VAST majority of TL buyers, and esp. the 4G buyers, care more about quality, comfort, features, reliability, and performance in the REAL world. If you need to drive very fast and reckless, go buy a PS3.
Well in that case why have the shawd. Are you trying to autocross in the streets? I mean pulling a .93g is not needed in the realworld so then your point makes no sense. I will see you in the next trailer of fast and the furious.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Racer

When did 6.3 sec become "slow"? :
my 95 integra gsr did that and it was a 1.8 4 banger.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LessisBestmakingendsmeet
I don't think pointing out facts is "hating". Thing is, owners will be offended. The last TL was a very beloved car not just by Acura owners but by nearly EVERYONE. It was a universally loved car. The new TL is here and well, there is simply not much love for it. The performance figures for this car are simply not impressive, these are figures the 2003 CL-S and TL Type S made, let alone the last gen TL. This is the new 2009 model? The "most powerful Acura ever"?

What is the point of debuting a car if it doesn't even meet or beat the competition?

I am seeing excuses, b/c now 0-60 isn't important. Well its not like these cars will be at the track? So what is important?

This is an ALL-NEW car with an old 5 speed, an old engine enlarged to 3.7 liters that is simply surpassed by the competition which is older, yet has NEWER technology.

I won't even touch the styling as that has been covered in spades. Its just plain bad.

The new TL seems to be aimed at a totally different buyer this go round looking at what the owners in this thread are stating. Performance takes a backseat to features and space and comfort. More Lincoln than Infiniti.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well in that case why have the shawd. Are you trying to autocross in the streets? I mean pulling a .93g is not needed in the realworld so then your point makes no sense. I will see you in the next trailer of fast and the furious.
The SH-AWD gives you better traction and handling capability in slick weather as well as more precise steering and cornering capability on dry pavement. This is more important in day-to-day real world driving than seeing how fast your car can go all-out from 0-60. But then again, living in Florida, you probably don't know anything I'm talking about.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

my 95 integra gsr did that and it was a 1.8 4 banger.
....and it was 3900+ lbs and 195 inches long, right?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

....and this matters to you because?....
Old 11-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Pete you seem to have an awful lot of yourself personally invested in this thing. You might lighten up a bit......after all its only a car.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Pete you seem to have an awful lot of yourself personally invested in this thing. You might lighten up a bit......after all its only a car.

What do you mean, "personally invested?"......I bought the car (actually leasing it), love driving it, and love talking about it on Acurazine. Am I missing something?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

What do you mean, "personally invested?"......I bought the car (actually leasing it), love driving it, and love talking about it on Acurazine. Am I missing something?
You obviously should have leased an Infiniti or BMW, far superior vehicles to Acura in every way.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CleanCL
You obviously should have leased an Infiniti or BMW, far superior vehicles to Acura in every way.
...of course, how foolish of me to choose a car based on what I like instead of what others say and what the magazines say.....
Old 11-20-2008, 11:39 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bicker bicker... I think its easier to criticize than to appreciate. Even Kia Spectras are prized by some, so to each their own.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:01 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 836 Likes on 520 Posts

Performance numbers or acceleration numbers? What's the definition of performance? Does it including handling? At least we know how great the new TL is on the track. But then some will say, "oh big deal, who cares about track performance."

Btw BMEP for the TL is 11.9 bar, that's higher than 11.3 bar of the G37. From an engineering point of view BMEP is a better indicator of engine technology than simple hp/L. Besides, I find it funny that even with 200lb less and 2 extra gear ratios, The G37 is still getting poorer REAL world fuel economy as shown by Edmunds.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

You said

+1
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 AM
Racer

The SH-AWD gives you better traction and handling capability in slick weather as well as more precise steering and cornering capability on dry pavement. This is more important in day-to-day real world driving than seeing how fast your car can go all-out from 0-60. But then again, living in Florida, you probably don't know anything I'm talking about.
Actually i use to live in evanston Ill and also Ny. So I had my fair share of snow. A regular awd could have been just as good as it is now. The sh part of that awd swstem is for pure performace and driving in the snow won't make that much diffrence since your not driving fast in it anyway. So in real world like you said speed should not matter neither should sh-awd by your thinking. We should forget about the whole thing.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Racer

Does it.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Actually i use to live in evanston Ill and also Ny. So I had my fair share of snow. A regular awd could have been just as good as it is now. The sh part of that awd swstem is for pure performace and driving in the snow won't make that much diffrence since your not driving fast in it anyway. So in real world like you said speed should not matter neither should sh-awd by your thinking. We should forget about the whole thing.
Hey, if Acura offered just AWD for less money instead of SH-AWD, it would have been fine by me......but I'm not complaining. There was some light snow yesterday here in Chicago and my car was able to negotiate turns as if it was bone dry.