Removed rear reflectors without removing bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 AM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Removed rear reflectors without removing bumper

So I finally got around to removing the reflectors from the rear bumper. I really did not want to remove the bumper and wanted to see what was involved in getting these reflectors off so that I can have them smoked like my tail lights.

If your forearms are any bigger than mine (14") then you are going to have a much more dificult time than I did.

I removed the two clips under the center part of the bumper to help gets some room to slip my hand behind the bumper. There are 3 screws on each one and 2 clips that need to be squeezed so the reflectors can pop out. The most outer screw can be reached by slipping your hand behind the bumper outside of the exhaust (you'll see a hole). I used a racthet and phillips bit to remove that screw.

The other two can be removed from the center opening just inside of the exhaust. You have to slip your arm behind the bumper reinforcement then slide your hand over to feel the screw. These can be removed with a stubby screwdriver.

by the way, you have to do all this by feel as you won't be able to see any of the screws or the clips.

Once the screws are removed there is an outer clip and an inner clip. The outer clip can be reached from the outer hole just outside the exhaust and the inner clips from the center holes just inside of the exhaust. Squeeze the top and bottom of the clips and push out as best as you can and the reflector will pop out.

My forearm was pretty messed up, it probably would have been easier to remove the bumper, but my way was less time consuming and can be done with one person.

Here are some pics of the reflectors removed:
Name:  68c3ec4e.jpg
Views: 2312
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  0c74dbb4.jpg
Views: 2299
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  4bcff700.jpg
Views: 2237
Size:  36.0 KB

Crappy pictures, I know, but you get the idea.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the info.

What's the plan?
Old 07-02-2010, 08:49 AM
COTM Coordinator

Smoked like my tail lights. I planned on doing this the same day I had the tails smoked and I didnt know how to remove them without pulling the bumper.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would love to see what they look like smoked!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:58 PM
COTM Coordinator

Will post pics soon. im picking up the reflectors today....finally.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Instructor

I assume and i use that lightly, that the two taller tower like parts are where the clips were correct? Thanks for the tutorial. I looked into this myself and said the hell with it. I think I will be painting mine black today. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:07 AM
COTM Coordinator

The two tower looking posts are the clips.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:17 PM
COTM Coordinator

Name:  104.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  103.jpg
Views: 2259
Size:  89.0 KB

Name:  100.jpg
Views: 2290
Size:  86.8 KB

Name:  101.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  70.7 KB
Old 07-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great. Well worth the scratches.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Instructor

I am still trying to figure out how you got the middle screws out. I started with the driver side and could just touch the middle screw going in from the license plate side. I don't have big forearms and could barely get my finger on the middle screw. Any suggestions?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:45 AM
COTM Coordinator

thats pretty much all i coukd reach too. if you have a stubby screwdriver and can touch the screw with a fingertip you shoukd be able to get the tiip of the screwdriver in the screw. the screw will be angled toward you a little bit because of the shape of the bumper. You have to turn the screwdriver with your fingertips but the screw really arent that tight to begin with.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Alright, I couldn't get it with the bumper still on. So I took 6 additional screws out. 3 on each side and popped the bumper corners out and could get right at all three reflector screws. two coats of black and a clear to follow. Done..

Old 07-11-2010, 01:54 PM
COTM Coordinator

Very nice, at least you didnt have to take the whole bumper off. Is there any reflective lighting still visible on the reflectors?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Instructor

No, None.. I wanted it that way
Old 07-11-2010, 03:55 PM
COTM Coordinator

Lol, cool. I wanted to keep mine semi-legal. You can still see the reflective light on mine. When I had the shop paint the reflectors to match they had to do a double coat because of how bright red the reflectors are.

Glad I was able to give some direction on this lol.

Oh and Ive been an Aircraft Mechanic (career) and automotive mechanic (hobby) for 9 years. Ive learned to get into tight spaces and turn screwdrivers wit fingertips lol. Its not fun but its do-able.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
Lol, cool. I wanted to keep mine semi-legal. You can still see the reflective light on mine.

Oh and Ive been an Aircraft Mechanic (career) and automotive mechanic (hobby) for 9 years. Ive learned to get into tight spaces and turn screwdrivers wit fingertips lol. Its not fun but its do-able.
This gives the car a totally different look at night. I love the new look.

As for tight spaces. I have maybe 10 inch forearms and could fit my arm in the space but I don't think it was long enough to get the stubby screwdriver to the middle of the reflector. Hence the workaround.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:46 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
very nice! i like the smoked reflector look
Old 09-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Lol, cool. I wanted to keep mine semi-legal. You can still see the reflective light on mine. When I had the shop paint the reflectors to match they had to do a double coat because of how bright red the reflectors are.

Glad I was able to give some direction on this lol.

its not like the reflectors need to be there by law, you could if you wanted to, take them off completely and fill the holes in and sand it and paint it like they were never there....

i dont know why acura felt like they needed them there in the first place!!
Old 09-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnier6
its not like the reflectors need to be there by law, you could if you wanted to, take them off completely and fill the holes in and sand it and paint it like they were never there....

i dont know why acura felt like they needed them there in the first place!!

Vinnier6, you should not make that kind of generalized statement as it may not be valid in all states....for example California:

V C Section 24607 Reflectors on Rear
Reflectors on Rear

24607. Every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as follows:

(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with at least one reflector so maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the lawful upper headlamp beams.

(b) Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a low-speed vehicle , manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1965, shall be equipped with at least two reflectors meeting the visibility requirements of subdivision (a), except that trailers and semitrailers manufactured after July 23, 1973, that are less than 30 inches wide, may be equipped with one reflector which shall be mounted at or near the vertical centerline of the trailer. If the vehicle is equipped with two reflectors, they shall be mounted as specified in subdivision (d).

(c) Every motortruck having an unladen weight of more than 5,000 pounds, every trailer coach, every camp trailer, every vehicle, or vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles, subject to subdivision (a) of Section 22406, and every vehicle 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be equipped with at least two reflectors maintained so as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper headlamp beams.

(d) When more than one reflector is required, at least one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side, respectively, at the same level. Required reflectors shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 60 inches, except that a tow truck, in addition to being equipped with the required reflectors, may also be equipped with two reflectors which may be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than the maximum allowable vehicle height and as far forward as the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in the rearmost position. Additional reflectors of a type meeting requirements established by the department may be mounted at any height.

(e) Reflectors on truck tractors may be mounted on the rear of the cab. Any reflector installed on a vehicle as part of its original equipment prior to January 1, 1941, need not meet the requirements of the department provided it meets the visibility requirements of subdivision (a).

(f) Area reflectorizing material may be used in lieu of the reflectors required or permitted in subdivisions (a), (b), (c), (d), and (e), provided each installation is of sufficient size to meet the photometric requirement for those reflectors.
Amended Ch. 216, Stats. 1990. Effective January 1, 1991.
Amended Sec. 36, Ch. 766, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996.
Amended Sec. 7, Ch. 140, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000
Old 09-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by scv76
Vinnier6, you should not make that kind of generalized statement as it may not be valid in all states....for example California:

V C Section 24607 Reflectors on Rear
Reflectors on Rear

24607. Every vehicle subject to registration under this code shall at all times be equipped with red reflectors mounted on the rear as follows:

(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with at least one reflector so maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the lawful upper headlamp beams.

(b) Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a low-speed vehicle , manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1965, shall be equipped with at least two reflectors meeting the visibility requirements of subdivision (a), except that trailers and semitrailers manufactured after July 23, 1973, that are less than 30 inches wide, may be equipped with one reflector which shall be mounted at or near the vertical centerline of the trailer. If the vehicle is equipped with two reflectors, they shall be mounted as specified in subdivision (d).

(c) Every motortruck having an unladen weight of more than 5,000 pounds, every trailer coach, every camp trailer, every vehicle, or vehicle at the end of a combination of vehicles, subject to subdivision (a) of Section 22406, and every vehicle 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be equipped with at least two reflectors maintained so as to be plainly visible at night from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper headlamp beams.

(d) When more than one reflector is required, at least one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side, respectively, at the same level. Required reflectors shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 60 inches, except that a tow truck, in addition to being equipped with the required reflectors, may also be equipped with two reflectors which may be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than the maximum allowable vehicle height and as far forward as the rearmost portion of the driver's seat in the rearmost position. Additional reflectors of a type meeting requirements established by the department may be mounted at any height.

(e) Reflectors on truck tractors may be mounted on the rear of the cab. Any reflector installed on a vehicle as part of its original equipment prior to January 1, 1941, need not meet the requirements of the department provided it meets the visibility requirements of subdivision (a).

(f) Area reflectorizing material may be used in lieu of the reflectors required or permitted in subdivisions (a), (b), (c), (d), and (e), provided each installation is of sufficient size to meet the photometric requirement for those reflectors.
Amended Ch. 216, Stats. 1990. Effective January 1, 1991.
Amended Sec. 36, Ch. 766, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996.
Amended Sec. 7, Ch. 140, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000
so your saying every california 3g tl had some reflectors on the rear bumber...as well as every other car on the market in california...dont remember any car i bought in california having reflectors on the rear bumber...
Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious on that one shot of your car with the rear tint, is it hard for the tinter to tint under the high mounted stoplight? I do not like it if they go around it.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
so your saying every california 3g tl had some reflectors on the rear bumber...as well as every other car on the market in california...dont remember any car i bought in california having reflectors on the rear bumber...
On the 3G TL the rear reflectors are in the tail light housing.
Most likely true with other cars as well.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 AM
COTM Coordinator

Yes every car has rear reflectors, either in the tail light or on the bumper. Also there are reflectors that are required on the side of the car which is included in most head lights and tail lights, but are sometimes on the bumper such as the 6th gen Honda Accord Coupe.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Safety Car

Yes every car has rear reflectors, either in the tail light or on the bumper. Also there are reflectors that are required on the side of the car which is included in most head lights and tail lights, but are sometimes on the bumper such as the 6th gen Honda Accord Coupe.
so your saying the 3g had the reflectors integrated in the tail lights?? that would have been a better way for the 4g...
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM
COTM Coordinator

Yes. I believe they put them lower on the 4g because the tail lights are so high. If you look at the law that someone had posted above, the reflectors need to be visible by normal headlights, which the 3g is because of the height of the tail lights, but the 4g is not.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CapoTL
Just curious on that one shot of your car with the rear tint, is it hard for the tinter to tint under the high mounted stoplight? I do not like it if they go around it.
the cover over the 3rd brake light just pops off and the tinter can easily tint the whole window...dont let them cut around it, that looks bad...in my opinon...
Old 08-27-2022, 07:36 PM
toferdisobey

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
so your saying the 3g had the reflectors integrated in the tail lights?? that would have been a better way for the 4g...
Well, if you look at other car models, you'll notice the more luxury or higher end vehicles have the reflectors seperate. The cheaper cars have them integrated into the tail lights.