Questions about window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Questions about window tinting

I haven't had a car's windows tinted in a long time. I have an '09 GMM SH-AWD. I haven't made many mods, but am hoping to add the body kit and have the grill color-matched at some point.

I am tinting my headlights and tails as soon as I receive the tint from Lamin-X.

I am wondering what I should look for in a good window tint service and what questions to ask. Also, what are the best types, brands, etc.? I had hear some kinds of tint cause issues with XM interference, etc.

I would like to go as dark as legally allowed in Ohio, but want consistency from front to back, so don't want to go lighter on the front windows.

Thoughts?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
To avoid any XM interference you want to stay away from metallic tint films. I went with a ceramic film (Formula One Pinnacle). Also you want to avoid dyed films which can fade with time. Other than that, it will boil down to your taste and the legal limits in your area as you decide on shade and light transmission levels.

As far as Lamin-X'ing your headlights, there is a poster who says he ran into some issues of lens cracking when he tinted his headlights. You may want to search out his comments.

Last edited by Treblig; 07-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hogan9166 (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 12:59 PM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
GMM? is that the Grigio metallic? http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/...os/colors.html

i have a PMM, which is slightly darker than the Grigio Metallic, and i was going to go with 35% tint all around. i believe we have a 80% tint on the windows already, so with the 80% factory tint and 35% tint on top of that (.80 x .35 = .28) your looking at around a 28% tint. correct my math if its wrong.

avoid the lamin-x headlight tint, as Treblig said, people are having issues with cracked headlights. https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/lamin-x-my-tailights-rear-reflectors-859623/
post#3

and check out the Regional forum for ohio (took 2 seconds to search for it)
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=ohio+tint

ohio state tint law
http://bit.ly/MtROxX

50% tint is allowed in the front so (.5/.8 = .625) so you would be looking at applying around a 60% tint to your car. not sure if installers offer that.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MoAbbas
GMM? is that the Grigio metallic? http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/...os/colors.html

i have a PMM, which is slightly darker than the Grigio Metallic, and i was going to go with 35% tint all around. i believe we have a 80% tint on the windows already, so with the 80% factory tint and 35% tint on top of that (.80 x .35 = .28) your looking at around a 28% tint. correct my math if its wrong.

avoid the lamin-x headlight tint, as Treblig said, people are having issues with cracked headlights. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=859623
post#3

and check out the Regional forum for ohio (took 2 seconds to search for it)

ohio state tint law
http://bit.ly/MtROxX

50% tint is allowed in the front so (.5/.8 = .625) so you would be looking at applying around a 60% tint to your car. not sure if installers offer that.
Yes...Grigio...fat-fingered another "M".

Frankly, I'm not terribly concerned about the laws at this point, so I was leaning toward a 35-50%. I have been told by LEOs that as long as you can see a driver's license through the window when it is pressed up against it, they won't have a problem.

Also, regarding the Lamin-X, I posted a response to those issues from the Lamin-X rep (several years old, however). Basically, it is said that the issue is with people stretching the tint to fit, rather than simply laying it over the area. Additionally, Lamin-x also has said that using a soapy water solution to apply the tint has caused problems and once they changed their directions, they haven't had problems.

I plan on calling them directly to ask the pointed question and see what they say. I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

By the way, thanks for the lesson on searching. LOL. I think I'm capable, but I'm glad you're here to police my posts.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:13 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
so many threads on tint...

factory tint (this has been measured) is around 72-75%.

OP- check around with reputable local tint installers on what products they use as well as pricing. ceramic will be the most expensive. you in OH...so jeat rejection is not a huge priority. i fyour'e worried about tint tix....you need to find out how anal your local PD is going to be about enforcing the tint laws. once you get alist of brands and whatever, you can research the brands not only on this forum but elsewhere as well.

ultimately it comes down to the the installer. make sure they hand cut for the best fit. there are many other factors...but here are the basics.
Hogan9166 (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
so many threads on tint...

factory tint (this has been measured) is around 72-75%.

OP- check around with reputable local tint installers on what products they use as well as pricing. ceramic will be the most expensive. you in OH...so jeat rejection is not a huge priority. i fyour'e worried about tint tix....you need to find out how anal your local PD is going to be about enforcing the tint laws. once you get alist of brands and whatever, you can research the brands not only on this forum but elsewhere as well.

ultimately it comes down to the the installer. make sure they hand cut for the best fit. there are many other factors...but here are the basics.
Thanks. I'm looking for the "many other factors". Do some offer a lifetime warranty?

Heat rejection is a priority since I live in southern Ohio and have a black interior.

Thanks for the advice on the starting with the installer, but I would guess it would make better sense to find the best installer of the best product, right? I don't want to cut corners.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by Hogan9166
Thanks. I'm looking for the "many other factors". Do some offer a lifetime warranty?

Heat rejection is a priority since I live in southern Ohio and have a black interior.

Thanks for the advice on the starting with the installer, but I would guess it would make better sense to find the best installer of the best product, right? I don't want to cut corners.
quality tint companies will offer lifetime warranty on the product. the installer...a good one will stand behind their work no matter what. if you're picky and there is a tiny bubble that bugs you...then the installer should happily redo it.

ceramic= most expensive, greatest heat rejection wil lnot intefere with electronics
hybrid= mid level tint, moderate heat rejection, will not interfere with electronics
metallic=lower grade, potentially interferes with electronics
dyed= least expensive, can fade/purple

i have madico char cool tint (hybrid type tint) on my cars and i have black interiors. my tint guy is a perfectionist and hand cuts. many tint installers in my area won't even push for ceramic unless you really want it. they push their mid level tint which usually is the most popular. all them said that the ceramic tint isn't that dark even at 35%. so...it's really up to what your budget is and then what you want out of the tint. 35% will look a bit darker with a black interior but you can still see shadows through it. 20% is pretty dark and difficult to see through.
The following 2 users liked this post by TLtrigirl:
Hogan9166 (07-14-2012), itsryanftw (08-08-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Pro

quality tint companies will offer lifetime warranty on the product. the installer...a good one will stand behind their work no matter what. if you're picky and there is a tiny bubble that bugs you...then the installer should happily redo it.

ceramic= most expensive, greatest heat rejection wil lnot intefere with electronics
hybrid= mid level tint, moderate heat rejection, will not interfere with electronics

i have madico char cool tint (hybrid type tint) on my cars and i have black interiors. my tint guy is a perfectionist and hand cuts. many tint installers in my area won't even push for ceramic unless you really want it. they push their mid level tint which usually is the most popular. all them said that the ceramic tint isn't that dark even at 35%. so...it's really up to what your budget is and then what you want out of the tint. 35% will look a bit darker with a black interior but you can still see shadows through it. 20% is pretty dark and difficult to see through.
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:54 PM
moabizzi

Yes...Grigio...fat-fingered another "M".

Frankly, I'm not terribly concerned about the laws at this point, so I was leaning toward a 35-50%. I have been told by LEOs that as long as you can see a driver's license through the window when it is pressed up against it, they won't have a problem.

Also, regarding the Lamin-X, I posted a response to those issues from the Lamin-X rep (several years old, however). Basically, it is said that the issue is with people stretching the tint to fit, rather than simply laying it over the area. Additionally, Lamin-x also has said that using a soapy water solution to apply the tint has caused problems and once they changed their directions, they haven't had problems.

I plan on calling them directly to ask the pointed question and see what they say. I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

By the way, thanks for the lesson on searching. LOL. I think I'm capable, but I'm glad you're here to police my posts.
hahahaha, np, wasnt trying to be condescending at all thou, even if it may have come off.

post pics once you get your tints and paint match the grille.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:44 PM
Pro

No worries. My comment was tongue in cheek.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suntek carbonXP seems to be popular in SoCal. I just did my new TL with 35% on all 5 windows. I didn't want to go darker since front window tint is a no-no here. Almost all tint sold at this price level will not interfere with electronics. It's real important to find a good installer...my guy shaved the tint right to the window edge.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^I too have SunTek’s Carbon line on both cars. They have a superior, high quality product.

From the shop:
•A proprietary construction that utilizes unique and innovative Carbon technology
•Non-reflective, “black” finish that will not fade
•Great solar performance with advanced UV protection
•No metal layers that can cause interference with cell phone, radio, or navigation system signals on high-end vehicles
•Lifetime Manufacturer’s Warranty, that includes fading…
Old 07-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I haven't had a car's windows tinted in a long time. I have an '09 GMM SH-AWD. I haven't made many mods, but am hoping to add the body kit and have the grill color-matched at some point.

I am tinting my headlights and tails as soon as I receive the tint from Lamin-X.

I am wondering what I should look for in a good window tint service and what questions to ask. Also, what are the best types, brands, etc.? I had hear some kinds of tint cause issues with XM interference, etc.

I would like to go as dark as legally allowed in Ohio, but want consistency from front to back, so don't want to go lighter on the front windows.

Thoughts?
Just got mine done and my TL GM as well.

20% all around using XPCeramic.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:26 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

There is a new type of tint called 'nano' tint. Not exactly sure what that means but like ceramic it won't interfere with electronics. It can also be made clearer with similar heat rejection.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ts/Automotive/

I've had HO ceramic on my TSX for over 6 years now in the Houston TX sun and heat. It has held up very well, like new. No scratches, no bubbles, no fading. And excellent heat rejection. At the time HO was the only ceramic tint and only one shop had it and a paid a ton but it was worth it. Lots of ceramic out there now.

I recently got one of these nano tints on my windshield. It is a Llumar product called Air Blue 80. It transmits 80% and you can't really tell it is on there unless I point it out. It does a good job of reducing heat on the dash and I'm glad I got it installed. Texas actually allows a clear tint on the windshield, this is pretty close to clear so I'm not worried about law enforcement. I will get it on my next car too.

Last edited by Rocket_man; 07-15-2012 at 02:31 AM.
Hogan9166 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

i have heard of nano tech. tint. don't know much about it.

the suntek carbon tint is essentially a middle line tint as a hybrid type like tint.

OP- there are many brands:
3M, huber optik, suntek, madico, solargard...

some will be priced more some will be priced less depending on installer. spending more $$$ is not always better, but neither is spending $ b/c is sounds like a deal. research your installers and products, then decide which your gut tells you to go with. i did this when i got my tint installed. i had contacted several insallers that many have used here then contacted them about product and pricing. some of the pricing turned me off. the one that won me over was the guy that essentially remembered me from my original inquiry and from his most excellent yelp reviews as well as the fact he also worked on a number of high profile individiuals exotic cars.
Hogan9166 (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Cruisin'

FWIW, the SunTek Carbon XP is considered a "Nano-Hybrid" per the SunTek web site. My installer used a sun lamp to show the performance of the various tints. As expected, the higher-priced tints significantly reduced more heat than the cheaper tints.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraw
Suntek carbonXP seems to be popular in SoCal. I just did my new TL with 35% on all 5 windows. I didn't want to go darker since front window tint is a no-no here. Almost all tint sold at this price level will not interfere with electronics. It's real important to find a good installer...my guy shaved the tint right to the window edge.
I live in socal too. How much did u pay for your tint?
Do u hab any pics of ur car?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sojue
I live in socal too. How much did u pay for your tint?
Do u hab any pics of ur car?
$329 for 5 windows. No pics yet...sorry.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I went with 40% 3M tint on my old TL and I'm going to do the same with the Maxima next week.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by acuraw
$329 for 5 windows. No pics yet...sorry.
Just made an appointment for next week. I was quoted $169 for Suntek Carbon and $199 for Suntek CXP, which is the nano hybrid. The guy said the CXP has higher heat rejection, so I'm leaning that way.

I'm going with 35% all the way around.

I had asked him if he removed the third taillight and he said they normally don't because they can cut it in so well, but he would be willing to do so. Any thoughts on what is the right thing to do?

I can't wait and will post pics when I get them.

On a side note, I spoke with a Lamin-X representative today about the issue with the micro fractures in the headlights. He indicated that they have seen this issue on some Hondas, the TL and Ford F-150s. He said they had done some research and found that these cars had these issues regardless of whether they were tinted, or not. Does anyone who has not tinted your headlights have any experience with micro fractures in them?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

tint the area where the thrid brake light would be. it looks kind a funny when it's cut around the light. at least it does on the 3rd gen. good price there though...location location location. tint in my area is crazy $$$ just like everything else.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 PM
The Sicilian

Yes you definitely want him to take the 3rd brake light out if he can. Some of those lights are getting pretty complicated to remove at times.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jspagna1
Yes you definitely want him to take the 3rd brake light out if he can. Some of those lights are getting pretty complicated to remove at times.
Thanks for the advice. What is the issue with not removing it.

I suppose I should dig up a How To thread to take it with me, so things don't get screwed up. I'm most concerned about headliner issues.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just got Llumar Air Blue 80s in the driver/passenger windows (CA has tight laws on tint for those) and 15% 3M high performance in the back on my 2012 BRP TL. I'm still waiting for it to dry but the installers (Tint Master City in Canoga Park, CA) did an amazing job installing it with no visible bubbles. They warned me that I may see a few and it will resolve in time but I looked at all five windows (ok technically seven if you count the rear passengers as having two per side) and I couldn't find one! The Air Blues did a great job in heat reduction on my drive home from Tint Master City yesterday, I took the Malibu Canyon road and when the sun would come in through the front windshield it was definitely hotter on my skin than when it would come in through the driver's side window.

I rarely have people in the back seat but from what I read 3M HP tint is a hybrid tint and may interfere with cell reception. Wiil suck for any passengers I have (though I hate when people talk on their phones in my car), but the 3M HP looks great and was relatively inexpensive - got the complete job for just over two bills. I have to give a shout to Matt and Robert @ TMC for a job well done!

I'll post pics when I'm allowed to by the forum software.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:52 AM
The Sicilian

Thanks for the advice. What is the issue with not removing it.

I suppose I should dig up a How To thread to take it with me, so things don't get screwed up. I'm most concerned about headliner issues.
I had my tint guys leave the 3rd light in my TL because it is a pia to take it out and I didn't want them messing with it. Had the 3rd light taken out of the Maxima completely when they added the rear spoiler for me. So it wasn't an issue on the Max.
What I noticed though is that the 3rd brake light on the TL is a red led so it doesn't look that bad if they tint around it. Some cars though have the 3rd bake light in white and when you apply the brakes the led's are red. So it looks crappy if you don't take those type out and tint the entire window.
Hope this all makes sense to you.
Hogan9166 (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM
The Sicilian

Actually getting the Max tinted as we speak. So I'll try to post some pictures after I pick it up later today.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Pro

I had my tint guys leave the 3rd light in my TL because it is a pia to take it out and I didn't want them messing with it. Had the 3rd light taken out of the Maxima completely when they added the rear spoiler for me. So it wasn't an issue on the Max.
What I noticed though is that the 3rd brake light on the TL is a red led so it doesn't look that bad if they tint around it. Some cars though have the 3rd bake light in white and when you apply the brakes the led's are red. So it looks crappy if you don't take those type out and tint the entire window.
Hope this all makes sense to you.
Could you kindly post some pics of your TL? I would like to avoid having them remove the 3rd brake light if at all possible. I would love to see a pic with the brakes applied as well.

TIA!
Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by FirstTL12
Just got Llumar Air Blue 80s in the driver/passenger windows (CA has tight laws on tint for those) and 15% 3M high performance in the back on my 2012 BRP TL. I'm still waiting for it to dry but the installers (Tint Master City in Canoga Park, CA) did an amazing job installing it with no visible bubbles. They warned me that I may see a few and it will resolve in time but I looked at all five windows (ok technically seven if you count the rear passengers as having two per side) and I couldn't find one! The Air Blues did a great job in heat reduction on my drive home from Tint Master City yesterday, I took the Malibu Canyon road and when the sun would come in through the front windshield it was definitely hotter on my skin than when it would come in through the driver's side window.

I rarely have people in the back seat but from what I read 3M HP tint is a hybrid tint and may interfere with cell reception. Wiil suck for any passengers I have (though I hate when people talk on their phones in my car), but the 3M HP looks great and was relatively inexpensive - got the complete job for just over two bills. I have to give a shout to Matt and Robert @ TMC for a job well done!

I'll post pics when I'm allowed to by the forum software.
The Air Blue 80 is a pretty nice product considering you can hardly tell it is on the glass. Mine was a little fuzzy until it dried out and now it is crystal clear. Only took a day to dry.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 PM
The Sicilian

These are the only pics I have of the TL with tints.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/384870...ra-tl#14382436

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/384870...ra-tl#14382437

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/384870...ra-tl#14382438

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/384870...ra-tl#14382439
Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Pro

Thanks for posting. Looks great. I will go with what the guy is most comfortable with doing.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the 3M Crystalline? I have done a bunch of research, and have talked to a local installer who said it's amazing the amount of heat rejection you get with the Crystalline.

I'm likely going with 40% all around, and 90% in the front. My car is black/black, and sits in the sun all day long, so why not do all I can to keep the heat out.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:37 PM
The Sicilian

Here's the Maxima with tints done with 3M 40%. Came out nice.

http://carphotos4.cardomain.com/imag...7983_large.jpg

http://carphotos4.cardomain.com/imag...7985_large.jpg
Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Pro

Looks great. Sharp car.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM
moabizzi

just tinted my car today. 35% all around, i think i shouldve went darker, but this way i wont get pulled over..... as much
gonna wash the car on friday hopefully, and see if i can take better pics. have to take it back on friday to get it "finished".

PS, its the first time im uploading pics to a forum of any sort, so idk if this will work.

Last edited by MoAbbas; 07-24-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,477 Likes on 934 Posts
I think the 35% looks great. That's what I'm going to go with to be within the limit here in IL.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Pro

I like the 35%, too. That's what I'm going with also all the way around. The limit on front windows in Ohio is 50%, but I can get away with it. All other windows have no limit in Ohio, but I want to maintain consistency all the way around.

Thanks for posting the pics. I can't wait to have mine done on Thursday.

Is your car GM or PMM?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
moabizzi

I like the 35%, too. That's what I'm going with also all the way around. The limit on front windows in Ohio is 50%, but I can get away with it. All other windows have no limit in Ohio, but I want to maintain consistency all the way around.

Thanks for posting the pics. I can't wait to have mine done on Thursday.

Is your car GM or PMM?
No problem sir, its a PMM.

the tints on the front windows in NJ are illegal, but from what i know/hear they let ppl with 35% tint slide by. the back you can go limo.

i had a 3G tl with 20% all around, got pulled over 3 times in 10 days.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Pro

No problem sir, its a PMM.

the tints on the front windows in NJ are illegal, but from what i know/hear they let ppl with 35% tint slide by. the back you can go limo.

i had a 3G tl with 20% all around, got pulled over 3 times in 10 days.
Did they just issue a ticket, or require you to pull them off and show proof?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:55 PM
moabizzi

Did they just issue a ticket, or require you to pull them off and show proof?
the first ticket, i was picking up my girlfriend (now fiancee) up for lunch around Rutgers and i was given a ticket.

the second ticket, 8 days after the first ticket, i was driving down the highway and got pulled over for "speeding" but was only issued a ticket for tints and was told that i should be happy im not getting the ticket for 20 over.

the third ticket, about 13 hours after the second ticket, i was leaving my house to take my Biochemistry, Genetics and Calc 2 finals, and the cop did a U turn to pull me over, and after i presented him the 2 other tickets for tints, and said im a college student whose going crazy because of finals and would take em off as soon as i finish them, the cop wrote the 3rd ticket, threw it at me and said heres another reminder.

after that i just took em off the front and paid the tickets. personally ive never heard of anyone getting a fix it ticket other than on these forums.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Cruisin'

just tinted my car today. 35% all around, i think i shouldve went darker, but this way i wont get pulled over..... as much
gonna wash the car on friday hopefully, and see if i can take better pics. have to take it back on friday to get it "finished".
Looks great! I went 35% all around as well.

Quick Reply: Questions about window tinting