View Poll Results: Are Extended Warranties A Good Investment?
Absolutely, I'd Never Think Of Being Without It
35.48%
Never...You're Lucky To Get Back $0.50 On The Dollar
41.94%
Damn, This Is Confusing
22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Extended Warranties -- Are They Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:19 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Poll: Extended Warranties -- Are They Worth It?

What do you think?

The car is basically covered bumper to bumper for the first 4 years/50k miles. So by spending an additional ~$1200 you can extend this another three years and/or 50k miles to 7yrs/100k.

Worth the investment?
Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it depends upon your driving habits. I plan on keeping my car for at least 4-5 years and I put roughly 1500-2000 a month on it. At that rate, I'd be through the basic warranty by 2 1/2 years or so. I bought the 5 yr/100K plan for 700 through one of the internet dealers.

With the number of electronics on the car if one of them fails it will pay for itself. If two of them fail, it will have been a positive moneymaker.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danimal1968
I think it depends upon your driving habits. I plan on keeping my car for at least 4-5 years and I put roughly 1500-2000 a month on it. At that rate, I'd be through the basic warranty by 2 1/2 years or so. I bought the 5 yr/100K plan for 700 through one of the internet dealers.

With the number of electronics on the car if one of them fails it will pay for itself. If two of them fail, it will have been a positive moneymaker.
Couldn't have said it any better. The more gadgets a car has, the odds go up on having something go too.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by danimal1968

The amount of driving your doing you will be at 100k miles in 4 years. It is throughly depreciated towards $10k price. so not worth it to make investments in repairs for electronics. just trade it to new one or another low mileage second hand for price difference.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
Couldn't have said it any better. The more gadgets a car has, the odds go up on having something go too.
CriagmacDTA - in the interest of full transparency, don't you work as an acura sales rep and therefore have a vested interest in promoting these warranties as an added source of income for you?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
My philosiphy is you are buying aHonda, if need a extended warranty then you shoudl be buying a Chyrsler! Cars today if properly maintained shoudl require minimal unforeseen costs. My buddy has a 1989 Toyota pickup with 190K miles on it and other than basic maintenance it has been flawless. My gf has a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage, 126K miles and other than planned routine maintenance not a problem. Guy I work with is driving a 11 year old Accord close to 200K miles and again nothing that woudl have been covered by an extended warranty. Take the $1K+ and put it in a 5 year CD and you will do far better. Remember these guys are in business to make money they know the stats are well in their favor, especially on something as reliable as a Honda. Sure you may find someone that made out on an extended warranty, but I bet that is extremely rare!
Old 07-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KeithL
Remember these guys are in business to make money they know the stats are well in their favor, especially on something as reliable as a Honda. Sure you may find someone that made out on an extended warranty, but I bet that is extremely rare!
Good point. Companies selling extended warranties and insurance policies have teams of actuarials that predict the expected cost of the policies to the company. The warranties are priced so that the price of the warranty for the consumer is substantially higher than the expected cost to the company.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:05 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Though not an Acura, my Honda Accord blew a transmission and my Navi computer fried. Both around 70K miles. Basically for $100 I saved $5000. I will never buy a car again without an extended warranty. For the little extra you have peice of mind until 100K, plus you have it when you sell it as a benefit. My .
Old 07-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BigKat103
Though not an Acura, my Honda Accord blew a transmission and my Navi computer fried. Both around 70K miles. Basically for $100 I saved $5000. I will never buy a car again without an extended warranty. For the little extra you have peice of mind until 100K, plus you have it when you sell it as a benefit. My .
True, I guess thats why I never keep a car past the factory warranty as well, it is still a selling point to say car still has factory warranty
Old 07-11-2009, 06:43 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
True, I guess thats why I never keep a car past the factory warranty as well, it is still a selling point to say car still has factory warranty
As others have posted, it is also about the miles you drive. You obviously unload before the factory expires. I am a 6 year 80K to 90K miles person on my cars. Based on my Accord experience, I am convinced no car is impervious to problems. Entering the Acura world, with more bells and whistles, your car has a lot more functions that can go wrong (as was also pointed out). I guess if I was spending $15K on a car I would think about it, but $35K to $45K I don't think it is worth the risk if you plan to drive the car past the factory warranty. Good discussion, many opinions on this topic. I like the piece of mind. Funny thing is when I first bought the warranty on that Accord, I didn't want it, my wife forced me. then the problems arose and I haven't given it a second thought on future purchases. I just hate negotiating it with the dealers. The always put it on the back end with the finance guys. My advise, never, ever wait until that point. Always negotiate it when you negotiate the price of the car and know your price points. Just my advise, in my recent experience so many dealers would give me a great price on the car and then think they could back end me, my answer was always, A. do you think I am stupid?, and B. Here is my price or bye-bye. Worked everytime.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You never know what will break. When I bought my new 2003 4Runner my wife and I bickered about the extended warranty in the showroom for a good 15 minutes. Her claim was with the 4WD and electronic gadgets it might come in handy. We extended from 3/36 to 5/100. At about 65k, Low and behold, my daughter borrowed the SUV to move stuff to college. She came home petrified that the sunroof jammed in the open position. To make a long story short it would have been at least 2K for the repair. Since I had the "gold" package, there was no deductible and I also had some misc stuff replaced such as knobs that the paint had worn off, the serpentine belt tensioner and a front brake caliper. In my case it paid for itself on the sunroof alone.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Advanced

I've never kept a car longer then 2 years, so for me extended warranty is a waste of money. If I were to keep a car for longer than the regular warranty period, I would invest in the extended warranty.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always invest on ext. warranty with cars. They are relatively cheap and they can help in keeping your investment as «cost free» as possible.

Extended Warranty: No for cheap electronic gadget but yes for expensive piece of luxurious machinery.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,432 Posts
you can get acura-care ones that can be almost 9 years, 100+K as long as you are under 30K. I bought one for my TL and it's been working very well for me.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:45 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger and took the 7 yr/100k mile $0 deductible warranty extension for $1195. As it's transferrable to a new owner (if I decide to sell the car in let's say 5 years) I figure that's a significant selling point that helps increase the relative value of the car as well as the worth of this investment.

Any buyer of a 5 year old car with, let's say 60k miles which would normally be out of warranty will probably pay substantially more knowing that the car is fully covered by a $0 deductible waranty directly thru American Honda (AcuraCare) for the next two years or up until 100k miles.

Anyway, with the amount of electronic gizmos in this car, I feel better knowing I have this protection.

For those of you who aren't aware of what's covered, here's a cut and paste:

ENGINE
- Cylinder Block
- Crankshaft
- Main Caps
- Main Bearings
- Pistons and Pins
- Piston Rings
- Connecting Rods and Caps
- Rod Bearings
- Cam Shaft(s)
- Cam Bearings
- Timing/Balance Shaft Belts (for failure only)
- Timing Gears
- Timing Belt Tensioners and Bearings
- Timing Belt Cover
- Water Pump and Pulley
- Oil Pump Oil Pan
- Cylinder Head(s)
- Valve Covers
- Rocker Arms and Adjusting Screws
- Rocker Shafts
- Rocker Bushings
- Intake and Exhaust Valves
- Valve Springs
- Valve Retainers
- Valve Guides and Seals
- Pushrods
- Lifters
- Followers
- Engine Mounts
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifolds
- Oil Pressure Switch
- Serpentine Belt Tensioner
- Seals/Gaskets for the above stated parts

AIR CONDITIONING/ HEATING
- Compressor
- Compressor Clutch & Pulley
- Field Coil
- Condenser
- Condenser Fan
- Evaporator Core
- Receiver Drier
- Accumulator
- Metal Refrigerant Lines
- 0-Ring Seals
- Idler Pulley and Bearing
- Temperature Control Unit
- Heater Control Cables
- NC Blower Motor
- Blower Motor Resistor Heater Core

FUEL DELIVERY
- Carburetor
- Throttle Body
- Throttle Cable
- Fuel Delivery Pump Relay
- Fuel Injectors
- Fuel Distributor
- Fuel-Injection Pump
- Anti-Detonation Sensors
- Computerized Mixture Control Unit and Sensors
- Fuel Tank and Sending Unit
- Metal Fuel Delivery Lines

ABS BRAKES
- ABS Electronic Control Unit
- ABS Pump

SRS SYSTEM
- SRS Control Unit
- SRS Cable Reel ELECTRICAL
- Starter
- Alternator
- Voltage Regulator
- Insight Nickel-Metal Hydride Battery
- Front or Rear Windshield Wiper Motor
- Front or Rear Windshield Wiper Washer Unit
- Power Window Motor and Regulator
- Starter Motor
- Starter Solenoid
- Mileage Computer
- Wiring Harnesses
- Manually Operated Switches
- Electrically Operated Switches
- Distributor
- Igniter
- Ignition Coil
- Electronic Combination Entry System
- Computerized Timing
- Control Unit and Sensors
- Sunroof Motor
- Power Seat Motor(s)
- Antenna Motor and Mast
- Power Door
- Lock Actuators
- Rear Window Defogger
- Factory-Installed Anti-Theft System
- Horns
- Digital or Analog Instrument Cluster
- Electrical Motors and Control Units

MANUAL COMPONENTS
- Window Regulators
- Window Run Channels
- Seat Tracks
- Door Latch Assembly
- Lock Cylinders

BRAKES
- ABS Switch
- ABS Wheel Sensors
- Master Cylinder
- Vacuum Assist Booster
- Check Valve
- Disc Brake Calipers
- Wheel Cylinders
- Compensating Valve
- Hydraulic Brake Hard
- Lines and Fittings
- Parking Brake
- Lever Assembly
- Parking Brake
- Linkage and Cables
- Self Adjusters
- Springs
- ABS Modulator
- Brake Accumulator
- Dust Shields
- Backing Plates

COOLING SYSTEM
- Radiator
- Thermostat and Housing
- Coolant Temperature Switch
- Radiator Cooling Fan Motor
- Cooling Fan Blade
- Cooling Fan Shroud
- Cooling Fan Switch
- Cooling Fan Relay
- Cooling Fan Timer
- Cooling Fan Clutch
- Coolant Recovery Tank
- Seals/Gaskets for above stated parts AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
- Transmission Control Module
- Lockup Control
- Solenoid
- Shift Control Solenoid
- Shift Interlock System
- Shift Cable
- Throttle Pressure Control Cables
- Vacuum Modulator
- Transmission Case and all internally lubricated parts
- Torque Converter
- Flexplate
- Transmission Mount(s)
- Oil Pan
- Seals/Gaskets for above stated parts

MANUAL TRANSMISSION
- Shift Cables
- Transmission Case and all internally lubricated parts
- Flywheel
- Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders
- Pilot Bearing
- Transmission Mount(s)

SUSPENSION SYSTEM
(FRONT AND REAR)
- Upper and Lower Control Arms
- Control Arm Shafts and Bushings
- Upper and Lower Ball Joints
- Stabilizer Bar, Links and Bushings
- Coil Springs
- Spindles
- Wheel Bearings
- MacPherson Strut Assembly
- Shock Absorbers

STEERING
- Steering Column
- Steering Gear Box
- Rack & Pinion Housing and all internally lubricated parts
- Power Steering Pump & Pulley
- Inner and Outer Tie-Rod Ends
- Tie-Rod Adjusting Sleeves

DRIVE AXLE SYSTEM
(FRONT OR REAR)
- Drive Lines
- Constant Velocity Joints and Boots
- Hub Bearings
- Axle Bearings

ACCESSORIES
- Genuine Honda Electronic/Audio Accessories
- Factory-Installed Navigational and Security Systems

REAR DIFFERENTIAL
- Differential Housing and all internally lubricated parts
- Axle Shafts
- Axle Bearings

WHAT IS NOT COVERED
Exclusions include but are not limited to body parts, tires, maintenance items, glass, upholstery, trim, carpeting and ornamentation. While every effort has been made to provide a complete listing of covered and non-covered parts, this information is intended to provide an overview of coverages. Actual contract coverages, limitations and exclusions may vary. See the sample contract for full details. © 2005 American Honda Finance Corporation
Old 07-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Advanced

I agree with most of you. If you plan to keep it beyond the mfg warranty then I think it's worth it. Cars these days are more complicated and just one "little" thing can cost as much as the extended warranty. The last car I owned was a Neon and the tranny went on it. Was glad I had the extended warranty.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Instructor

I've had 5 new Hondas and on 4 of them I bought the extended warranty. I kept each car no longer than a year, lost that money. The last Honda I owned was '99 Accord V6, I kept it for 7 years, including 31/2 years in Germany doing 100MPH+ autobahn speed. I had no extended warranty. Only thing besides oil, brakes, tires ever changed was an alternator which was covered with the manufacturer warranty. I have had 4 Acuras and kept each about a year. No more extended warranty.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Instructor

I've had 5 new Hondas and on 4 of them I bought the extended warranty. I kept each car no longer than a year, lost that money. The last Honda I owned was '99 Accord V6, I kept it for 7 years, including 31/2 years in Germany doing 100MPH+ autobahn speed. I had no extended warranty. Only thing besides oil, brakes, tires ever changed was an alternator which was covered with the manufacturer warranty. I have had 4 Acuras and kept each about a year. No more extended warranty.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmaikamon
If you're only keeping a car for a year, it's a no-brainer not to buy the extended warranty. For me, I feel like I've barely gotten to know my car after a year.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:41 PM
10th Gear

I'm a firm a believer in an extended warranty, but when the dealer refuses to sell one below $2000, I can do without it.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would never get one with a Honda, as long as you do diligence with upkeep. My past cars have been solid.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by canddmeyer
I'm a firm a believer in an extended warranty, but when the dealer refuses to sell one below $2000, I can do without it.
Go here: http://www.curryacuracare.com/

Here's the price list: $0 Deductible Plans Available For Your TL 5 years
100k miles 6 years
70k miles 6 years
100k miles 6 years
120k miles 7 years
70k miles 7 years
100k miles 7 years
120k miles 8 years
100k miles 8 years
120k miles $1,080.00

Plan code D50 $960.00

Plan code D67 $1,240.00

Plan code D60 $1,445.00

Plan code D62 $1,080.00

Plan code D77 $1,290.00

Plan code D70 $1,550.00

Plan code D72 $1,500.00

Plan code D80 $1,755.00

Plan code D82
$100 Deductible Plans Available For Your TL 5 years
100k miles 6 years
100k miles 6 years
120k miles 7 years
70k miles 7 years
100k miles 7 years
120k miles 8 years
100k miles 8 years
120k miles $980.00

Plan code C50 $1,140.00

Plan code C60 $1,345.00

Plan code C62 $980.00

Plan code C77 $1,190.00

Plan code C70 $1,450.00

Plan code C72 $1,400.00

Plan code C80 $1,655.00

Plan code C82

Plan coverage begins with the vehicle's original in-service date and 0 miles.

Acura Care™ is a registered trademark of American Honda
Site administered by Curry Automotive, 765 Memorial Drive, Chicopee, MA 01020
Need Help? Click here to contact us!
Old 07-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmode
I would never get one with a Honda, as long as you do diligence with upkeep. My past cars have been solid.
You can't do diligence with electrical components especially with Navi's. Acura went the cheap way when they changed manufacturer's for Navi's which are known to be problematic. If you were a bit of a car enthusiast and visit various other automotive forums like I do you would have known this.

Let me make this clear, if you are going to keep this car for more than 5 years, GET the warranty, you won't be dissapointed. I on the other hand will probably only keep the car for a couple of years. I like to change cars like I change my women.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
The amount of driving your doing you will be at 100k miles in 4 years. It is throughly depreciated towards $10k price. so not worth it to make investments in repairs for electronics. just trade it to new one or another low mileage second hand for price difference.

What happens if he has a major problem at 65k miles?
Then your statement does not hold water or should he buy a new car every two years and loose a fortune in deprecation?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Advanced

I am a FIRM believer in NO EXTENDED warranties for ANYTHING, except for my 09 TL. I had a 99TL for 10 years and never had a repair that wasn't covered under warranty. However, with the amount of gizmos on the tech cars, even one repair could be very expensive. I plan on keeping this car for 8 - 10 years. As much as I'm a believer in great Honda engineering, if some gizmo like the internal HD doesn't die in 8 years I would be surprised. I don't have doubts about the mechanical parts. Plus this is the first year of the 4G, so there are bound to be some bugs/issues that turn up a few years down the road.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Doc,

I went with a similar extended warranty as yours there is a 100 dollar deductable if I go to a dealer other than the one I bought the car from. Based on what others are stating they were quoted I might say I was ripped off I paid 1600 which was rolled into my sale price of 38.5K, my fiancee does not agree with extended warraties but with all the tech in this car I felt it was a good idea and I plan on keeping this for more than 5 years eventhough no one believes me based on past experience. Final reason I went with the warranty is, it's refundable if I do not use it in 7 years I have a signed disclaimer which I have to keep in safe place, however I trust Acura's quality.