Phoenix Business Journal: Acura Revs Up Styling, Performance In TL Redesign

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phoenix Business Journal: Acura Revs Up Styling, Performance In TL Redesign

Friday, February 20, 2009 | Modified: Thursday, March 5, 2009
by Cathy Luebke

Some years ago, a fellow motor head and I were talking cars -- of course. Specifically, achieving a blend of luxury, performance and affordability. “Acura TL,” we both blurted out.

And that assessment holds as Honda’s luxury division debuts the latest generation TL for the 2009 model year. Our tester also impressed the heck out of my carpool buddy.

The TL is a midsize with lots of room, larger than entry-level luxury rides such as Mercedes-Benz C-Class and Lexus ES350. The base car, which retails just short of 36 large, also comes packed with features.

If there is a downside, it’s the lure of the beefed-up TL SH-AWD model, adding $3,500 to the tab. Or, perhaps given current economic conditions, a nagging notion that a decked-out Honda Accord might be the best buy.

Still, even the top-line TL SH with technology and special wheel packages at $43,995 is less than the more comparably sized Mercedes E-Class and Lexus GS350.

It is easy to pick out the new TLs as Acura stylists were given the latitude to chisel a dashing profile. Inside, the TL benefits from Honda’s always strong attention to fit and finish.

The look is more high-tech than warm like most luxury cars that swath the interior in shiny wood trim. Then there’s a busy center console with a plethora of controls that look more complicated than they are.

The standard leather buckets are right on -- blending support and comfort, aided by 10-way power adjustments including moving lumbar on the driver’s seat. The basic package also includes a power moonroof, dual climate control, heated mirrors, and eight-speaker audio system with CD player, MP3 interface, USB port and Bluetooth connectivity.

Legroom, headroom and elbow room are generous front and back thanks to the sedan’s gain of a few inches all around.

The front-wheel drive TL gets a 3.5-liter V-6 engine rated at 280 horsepower, not the fastest pony in the race, but well ahead of last year’s 258-hp plant and certainly competent around town and on the highway.

The TL SH (for Super Handling) brings an all-wheel drive option to the Acura and takes a leap in performance and handling. You won’t notice it, but the SH system distributes additional torque to outside rear wheels to help the TL turn more quickly and precisely in addition to compensating for slick surfaces. A 3.7-liter engine also takes horsepower to 305 and injects a strong fun factor in what otherwise might be considered a family hauler or daily commuter. Plus you get larger 18-inch wheels, beefier brakes and sportier seats.

The new Acura also scores high on safety with a top crash ratings and standards such as side airbags and curtains, antilock brakes with assist features, traction and stability control, and tire-pressure monitor.

One of the few add-ons available for TL models is a $3,700 technology package. A tempting upgrade, the tech package includes voice-activated navigation with real-time traffic and weather mapping, push-button starter, a super 10-speaker surround-sound system, backup camera, 12.7 gigabytes of media storage, and upgraded leather.

Acura led the wave of Japanese luxury vehicles in the mid-1980s with well-built attractive vehicles, but as the competition hit failed to become a status symbol equivalent to Lexus. Entry-level luxury cars such as TL are tough to compare with performance leaders such as the BMW, cushy rides such as Lincoln MKS and traditional favorites such as Lexus and Mercedes.

For the most part, I think Acura was unfairly cast in a lesser role. The TL has captured more attention in the past few years and the snazzy-looking 2009 is turning heads of all ages.

Acura TL

Luxury sedan
Base price: $35,715
Mpg range: 18/26, front-drive; 17/25, all-wheel
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: 5 of 5 stars for front impact; 5 for rollover resistance; www.safercar.gov
Web site: www.acura.com
Competitors: Audi A4, BMW 3-Series, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti G37, Lexus ES350, Lincoln MKZ, Mercedes-Benz C-Class, Saab 9-5, Volvo S80
Bottom line: Stands out as an entry-level luxury ride chock full of features

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/s...200%5E1781960#

© 2009 American City Business Journals, Inc. and its licensors.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A nice, concise review. Not much mention about the styling.

Is there any other newspaper in the country that hasn't reviewed the new TL yet?
Old 03-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PetesTL

Is there any other newspaper in the country that hasn't reviewed the new TL yet?
You'll know they all have when I stop posting their reviews here!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
That was a pretty fair review. These types of reviews in major news papers are what will eventually bring in buyers. Most average car buyers will not be depending on Car & Driver or other enthusiast mags for their reviews.

----------------
Listening to: Neotropic - Magpies
via FoxyTunes
Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL

I know right? I got a feeling they'll be coming in for a long time, and S2000 is dedicated to his work!
Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Fit, finish, and function are Honda/Acura's strongest points. Every person I have talked to, from dealers to drivers, all say that the one thing we need to do is just sit in this car and drive it.

I'll keep that in mind when I get a chance to actually check one of these cars out.

I will say this, the exterior design is indeed bold. Its controversial. It is also attention grabbing and does get folks into the dealer to look at the car and drive it. The level of discussion on forums like this about the new TL is just what is needed to make people curious. That curiosity is what brings them into the dealers. Hence, from a marketing standpoint in the current economy, controversial exterior designs aren't such a bad thing.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BeaverTL
Fit, finish, and function are Honda/Acura's strongest points. Every person I have talked to, from dealers to drivers, all say that the one thing we need to do is just sit in this car and drive it.

I'll keep that in mind when I get a chance to actually check one of these cars out.

I will say this, the exterior design is indeed bold. Its controversial. It is also attention grabbing and does get folks into the dealer to look at the car and drive it. The level of discussion on forums like this about the new TL is just what is needed to make people curious. That curiosity is what brings them into the dealers. Hence, from a marketing standpoint in the current economy, controversial exterior designs aren't such a bad thing.
BeaverTL, you said it well. When I first saw pictures of the TL's styling and read the preliminary reviews about the beak, I passed over this car in favor of others. An acquaintance of mine bought one and told me about it during a Christmas party but didn't have it with her that night. About a month later, I finally decided to get rid of my unreliables (X5 and Z4) I gave the TL the once-over. The interiour was the first thing to impress me. I wasn't fond of the exterior.

I bought this car for the interior fit, finish and content. The exterior has since grown on me. This car gets compliments all the time.

I strongly sugest you give yourself some seat time in the TL. I thought I'd miss my Beemers but alas, I don't.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Most people are just overly judgemental. The new TL design does not have to work for everybody, but attention is attention good or bad, so ultimately it will help sales. In business you cant please everyone, so Acura aimed to please better those who they knew they already sold, and put less attention on trying to sell outside the brand. Not many are looking to buy cars right now so people dont really understand the value this car represents. The 4G is a true 5 and E competitor, for near $20k less. Like others have said, just drive it.