Painting the calipers and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting the calipers and rotors

Has anyone painted their calipers or rotors because of the rust? If so, what type spray paint did you use?

Mine are all rusty looking and look bad when the wheels are clean.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:09 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
any high heat temp paint will work
The following users liked this post:
octoher12 (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
just dont use bright colors..
Old 05-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
usually, high heat temp. paint comes in black.
thats what I used anyway...like a paint that's used for an outdoor grill.

be sure to either take off the calipers and bracket or mask off everything.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I've painted my 09' and 12' calipers/rotors many times. A few times by just spraying everything without taping off anything (don't do that), once by taping off everything I didn't want to get painted (should do that) and lastly once I removed the calipers and taped off everything.

Here are the results after painting calipers, rotors, hubs when I removed the calipers and taped off everything. I used duplicolor caliper paint:

Tools/supplies you'll need to get those results are wire brushes (different lengths/widths), lots of brake cleaner, crappy towels you don't mind tossing out, the spray paint and PLENTY of elbow grease. If you don't take off you'll probably be fine anyway because the pad will clean it off the rotor. On palladium 09' I painted brake parts black for the contrast. The next time I paint them I'm going to use G2 caliper paint kit.
echodigital (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
I painted my calipers red with duplicolor red caliper paint.
I am actually disappointed in the color... sorry for the lack of better words but it was too red. When my wife saw it, she said, "wow... you gave the car a pedicure!"
Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 AM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by C8N
I am actually disappointed in the color... sorry for the lack of better words but it was too red. When my wife saw it, she said, "wow... you gave the car a pedicure!"
Thanks for the morning laugh haha

Did you guys do a powder coat layer after a few coats of paint on the calipers? I've read around that it leaves a nice finish. I'm thinking of tackling mine this weekend....
Old 05-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
I painted mine with the Black caliper paint, didn't tape anything off although I did use a bit of card board to keep some of the over spray away. I painted the caliper, the hub and the edge of the rotors. Definitely much better than the rusty look. I went out for a quick drive afterwards and any paint on the rotor came right off. Its been a few thousand miles and haven't notice any bad effects from not taping off.

Also the caliper paint provides a little bit of gloss.
justnspace (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Maybe I will do that this weekend. It shouldnt take long for the paint to dry right...
Old 05-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by C8N
Pics or it didn't happen! You seem wayyyy to mellow to paint anything red .

Originally Posted by DrewQ35
Maybe I will do that this weekend. It shouldnt take long for the paint to dry right...
About 15-30 minutes is the recommended time to wait between coats Drew, I put 3 coats on everything. Lift3d I was going to, but ultimately chose not to do a clear coat layer because I couldn't find a high heat clear.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:18 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

^ Ok... ill take a pic of my lipstick red calipers tonight... or should I say big toe red?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:20 AM
Drifting

But but but red? That's so not you. Post'em up when you can.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:25 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

I was looking for some contrast so black and silver was out... thought about yellow but there is a white X6 in my neighborhood with yellow calipers and I wasn't feeling it.

In hind sight... should have just gone with the clean look of silver.
Anyways, I'll post the pic on this thread tonight or tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:59 PM
ABP CL-S 6 NAV

probably going to paint the caliper and rotor hub in the next few weeks. any other tips on performing the job correctly? did everyone spend alot of time brushing or sanding off the baked on rust? any procedures to remove the calipers? how long did it take from start to dry time?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by C8N
In hind sight... should have just gone with the clean look of black.
FIFY...since you have CBP and I'm biased
Old 05-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
My 2012 started developing a bit of caliper/hub rust around 12k miles... now that I have a brand new '14 do you guys think a triple coat of caliper pain/powder coating would be a nice preventative measure on top of good looks?
Old 05-21-2014, 04:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dalostpinoy
probably going to paint the caliper and rotor hub in the next few weeks. any other tips on performing the job correctly? did everyone spend alot of time brushing or sanding off the baked on rust? any procedures to remove the calipers? how long did it take from start to dry time?

When I did a really legit, tape everything, removes calipers job it took me 2.5hrs from lifting the car onto jack stands to setting her down again. I experimented with sanding down the resisting paint to create a better adhesive base for the new coat but found that going at it with wire brushes and brake cleaner was enough.

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
FIFY...since you have CBP and I'm biased
I prefer silver on black to create contrast. On my silver 4G I painted them black for the same effect.

Originally Posted by big10purdue
My 2012 started developing a bit of caliper/hub rust around 12k miles... now that I have a brand new '14 do you guys think a triple coat of caliper pain/powder coating would be a nice preventative measure on top of good looks?
Couldn't hurt but don't you have other mods planned that you could take care of 1st? What color are you considering if you powder coat?

Last edited by HeartTLs; 05-21-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Hi Heart...
I like the look you show there in post #5. Great work.
What wheels are they? Are they stock - I see you have the Acura center cap?
I did a partial paint on my calipers just to see how it would work.
I used regular flat black high temp paint and it worked well so now I have to complete the job this summer. (My car is also black.)
I cleaned almost all the rust off the rotor hubs and they looked good but I did not paint them. The rust has returned so I guess I have to do that again also. The rust really detracts from the look unfortunately.
Thanks.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:15 PM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
But but but red? That's so not you. Post'em up when you can.

Sorry for the bad qty pics but here they are

Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Couldn't hurt but don't you have other mods planned that you could take care of 1st? What color are you considering if you powder coat?[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the hijack... I was thinking of getting my advance wheels powdercoated in dark gunmetal and calipers/hub in black. There are plenty of things I can do first... but the shop who powdercoats the wheels allow you to drop off the car and leave it with them... they'll remount the tires, align, etc and there wouldn't be a better time than while they they have my car on a lift for 2 days...
Old 05-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by C8N
"wow... you gave the car a pedicure!"
Haha, she hit it right on the head with that one.

Originally Posted by jim_c
Hi Heart...
I like the look you show there in post #5. Great work. Thank you.
What wheels are they? They're the "HPT" tire package that was available 09-11' or the standard 19" wheels on AWD/ADV models. for Are they stock - I see you have the Acura center cap? That's not the standard center cap for those wheels though.
I did a partial paint on my calipers just to see how it would work.
I used regular flat black high temp paint and it worked well so now I have to complete the job this summer. (My car is also black.)
I cleaned almost all the rust off the rotor hubs and they looked good but I did not paint them. The rust has returned so I guess I have to do that again also. The rust really detracts from the look unfortunately.
Thanks.
Yea, unfortunately I've come to realize that no matter how thorough a job you do, high temperature caliper paint won't hold up against NE climate changes/salt for more than one year, before the rust begins to reappear.

Originally Posted by big10purdue
Couldn't hurt but don't you have other mods planned that you could take care of 1st? What color are you considering if you powder coat?
Sorry for the hijack... I was thinking of getting my advance wheels powdercoated in dark gunmetal and calipers/hub in black. There are plenty of things I can do first... but the shop who powdercoats the wheels allow you to drop off the car and leave it with them... they'll remount the tires, align, etc and there wouldn't be a better time than while they they have my car on a lift for 2 days...[/QUOTE]

Can't go wrong with the dark grey finish from the 09-11' AWD 18" wheels on CBP, looks really sharp. I think it'll be boring (blend in too much) getting black hubs/calipers on a black car and prefer the contrast of silver but I'm sure others will argue, "it's not like he has a BBK" and to them I say, way to miss the point.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:44 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Haha, she hit it right on the head with that one.
Some sense that woman
Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I prefer silver on black to create contrast. On my silver 4G I painted them black for the same effect.
I get what you're saying but IMO it's more about the contrast in the wheel / brake area than compared to the color of the car.

I prefer the black to break up all the silver from the wheels / rotors / brake pads.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I painted my rotors and calipers with aluminum color Rust-oleum and I highly recommend it. Bought a can at Home Dept for like $15. I painted mine last October and it still looks like they were painted yesterday. The good thing about this paint is that you just paint right over the rust. No need to really even clean it beforehand.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by caseyjones
I painted my rotors and calipers with aluminum color Rust-oleum and I highly recommend it. Bought a can at Home Dept for like $15. I painted mine last October and it still looks like they were painted yesterday. The good thing about this paint is that you just paint right over the rust. No need to really even clean it beforehand.

Pictures please.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by lift3d_
Thanks for the morning laugh haha

Did you guys do a powder coat layer after a few coats of paint on the calipers? I've read around that it leaves a nice finish. I'm thinking of tackling mine this weekend....
Powder coat? As in, bake it in an oven powder coat? How/why would you put this over paint?
Old 06-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
looks cheap

Originally Posted by C8N

Looks cheap I do not mean that in a bad way I just dont believe in painting your calipers but the calipers do make the rims look ugly im looking at mine and I was thinking about getting caliper covers mpg caliper covers there like $200 they keep the brake dust off and they also looked pretty cool I see a vid on You Tube tell me what you guys think.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ron3.7
Looks cheap I do not mean that in a bad way I just dont believe in painting your calipers but the calipers do make the rims look ugly im looking at mine and I was thinking about getting caliper covers mpg caliper covers there like $200 they keep the brake dust off and they also looked pretty cool I see a vid on You Tube tell me what you guys think.
Nothing cheap looking about my paint job. C8N just made a poor color choice, I've done this in black and silver and the results were excellent each time.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:59 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts

These look great, very nicely done.....

IMO, OEM style calipers look best either painted or powder coated silver or gray as you have done.. I prefer leaving the other colors to the aftermarket type (Brembo etc.. ) calipers..

I see you have the Gorilla Guard locks on them, good choice..

Last edited by JT4; 06-04-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:09 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

I did make a bad choice in paint.... or most likely the case, I didn't do it the right way and the color came out wrong. When it was wet, it was the right color but after it dried, it turned lipstick red.

Only thing I don't like about the MPG caliper covers are the fake bolt markings. Just tacky in my opinion. But then again... I have lipstick red calipers.... who am I to judge?
See if you can get those without those fake bolt markings and should look good IMO.

There was the RDX caliper covers I have seen on the TL and those look good too. Don't know if they are a straight fit or if you need to modify it to fit on the TL tho....

One thing about painted calipers I want to add is that I am starting to see rock chips on mine.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by C8N

ohh.. its like were 16 again..
Old 06-04-2014, 11:07 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by potmilkz
ohh.. its like were 16 again..
Hey... for a guy who is about hit 40 soon, I will take that as a compliment
Old 06-05-2014, 05:14 AM
Instructor

Caliper Covers

Originally Posted by C8N
I did make a bad choice in paint.... or most likely the case, I didn't do it the right way and the color came out wrong. When it was wet, it was the right color but after it dried, it turned lipstick red.

Only thing I don't like about the MPG caliper covers are the fake bolt markings. Just tacky in my opinion. But then again... I have lipstick red calipers.... who am I to judge?
See if you can get those without those fake bolt markings and should look good IMO.

There was the RDX caliper covers I have seen on the TL and those look good too. Don't know if they are a straight fit or if you need to modify it to fit on the TL tho....

One thing about painted calipers I want to add is that I am starting to see rock chips on mine.
Dont get me wrong I wish my calipers were a different color instead of rust yours actually dont look that bad to me I would have went with a different color but there ok.Those MPG caliper covers are aluminum not plastic and are easy to put on from the video on You Tube I watched.Does anybody on this website have caliper covers on there car and what do you think of them???
Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Dont get me wrong I wish my calipers were a different color instead of rust yours actually dont look that bad to me I would have went with a different color but there ok.Those MPG caliper covers are aluminum not plastic and are easy to put on from the video on You Tube I watched.Does anybody on this website have caliper covers on there car and what do you think of them???
Check this thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=caliper
Old 06-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Cool

Originally Posted by C8N
Thanks man I was lookin for a pic of these on the car and they look killer
Old 06-06-2014, 12:35 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Untitled by jbond2099, on Flickr

here is mine
Old 06-06-2014, 06:16 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
^^Very nice Jbond, love the rotors..
Old 06-26-2014, 11:45 PM
10th Gear

Yes! I painted mine red caliper paint before on my 2002 Acura MDX. I noticed in the long run it started to chip.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:25 PM
Instructor

I've painted my 09' and 12' calipers/rotors many times. A few times by just spraying everything without taping off anything (don't do that), once by taping off everything I didn't want to get painted (should do that) and lastly once I removed the calipers and taped off everything.

Here are the results after painting calipers, rotors, hubs when I removed the calipers and taped off everything. I used duplicolor caliper paint:

Tools/supplies you'll need to get those results are wire brushes (different lengths/widths), lots of brake cleaner, crappy towels you don't mind tossing out, the spray paint and PLENTY of elbow grease. If you don't take off you'll probably be fine anyway because the pad will clean it off the rotor. On palladium 09' I painted brake parts black for the contrast. The next time I paint them I'm going to use G2 caliper paint kit.

Did mine the same color used a spray can of Duplicolor accept for one thing I used 3 small paint brushes and painted it on instead. Lets just say it looks awsome was really debating weather or not to do it but im glad I did 3 coats on the hubs and the calipers should last a few.One thing I should of did that I didn't do was clean the inside of the rims when I had them off the car but knowing me im going to clean them all with alloy cleaner shortly because its going to bug me.