An outrageous comparison?? For sure...well, maybe...maybe not...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I think some of you guys are missing the context and a few of the details from earlier on in the post. Yes the pricing is worlds apart but that doesn't mean the car and it's content is as far away as the price suggests. No one is categorically comparing these cars but the price should not necessarily dictate that.

A BASE Panamera is likely being bought by someone who should be buying something cheaper but just has to have the badge. Anyone who really can afford it would get at least the V8 and mostly loaded as mentioned earlier. What is being said here is that many would rather keep their TL's than purchase that particular model Panamera for that price and with nothing added based on how it compares.

I don't know why this is being made into a generlized comparison and of other Panamera variants, that's not what's being discussed. It seems some can't focus on specifics of the discussion yet when we do there is probably not a person here who disagrees whether you agree with the comparison or not, take Aman for example in post #71. So I am not sure what the opposing arguments really are about.

I agree that no one is making the comparison to the Porsche and the 5 series but the TL has been mentioned alongside the 5 series in plenty of genuine automotive publications and reviews, besides Acura aiming it at the base mid levels, much like the CTS which shares in the same concept and is not very different. So while it isn't a true competitor, that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't at all.

I don't know if that means it should or shouldn't be done for the Panamera as well because it's farther way in price, position, and EPA size category but I do not need an automotive publication to tell me how the TL SH compares to a Base Panamera.
Let's say that my comparison between a fully loaded TL SH-AWD and the Panamera 3.6 4 is an extreme example bringing one car with a particular high level of value for the money with another that it is particularly expensive for what it offers...
Old 12-14-2010, 12:48 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Let's say that my comparison between a fully loaded TL SH-AWD and the Panamera 3.6 4 is an extreme example bringing one car with a particular high level of value for the money with another that it is particularly expensive for what it offers...
I don't know if it's that extreme unless you focus on price alone. The Panamera is said to be a competitor to the full sized flagship sedans like the 7 series, S class, etc and is priced that way but IMO it seems more like a glorified mid level in comparison that for a few reasons could be mixed in with those cars as well.

I don't find the Panamera to be as luxurious or to offer the same type of high end features as those cars it is supposed to compete with. Even some of the new generation mid levels are surpassing it in that regard. Let's even remove the TL from the comparison for those who would not dare to consider a TL in the same breath (and/or for the 4G haters), the Panamera doesn't warrant anymore money than something like a 5 series sedan or the GT variant (which might be more in line).

I know that is mostly my opinion and does have many subjectives attached to it but I cannot find objective or subjective reasons that a comparably equipped Panamera 4 is worth $20k more than the 535ix GT. Maybe I am wrong but I wouldn't mind to hear from anyone who thinks otherwise as I might be missing something.

It's for those reasons I can related to the thread, as the TL can be viewed as a low end mid level and the Panamera as high end mid level regardless of what pricing or perception would have us believe but there are some other factors that contribute to how the cars are viewed and eveybody can interpret them differently but there does not necessarily have to be a right or wrong.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 12-14-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
did i ever said that the tl was a better car?? Better value fo rth emoney is different than "better" can you point where i said that??

Facts are facts by definition and cannot be manipulated
I never said you did.

I said it "SEEMS" like you are and as many others have said, in many of your answers you are dangerously close to insinuating that the 4G is better.

Its also true that facts are facts but there is also manipulating facts in order to try and prove a theory and this is what your doing in this comparo.

what is "classified" here is not relevant...the tl and the panamera are identical in size (length and width) almost up to the inch...unfortunately porsche did not relase detailed interior measurements, it would be interesting to compare.
The panamera has a 5 inches longer wheelbase but it has a longitudinal arranged engine.

Your comment about the tl being "barely a midsize sedan" is either disingenuous or ill-informed since many publications said that the tl is almost a full size car...just look at one...it barely made it into midsize because it is too large not because it is too small...

That the panamera competes with the s class, a 7 series or an a8 is your opinion...they definitely compete from a price and prestige price point but the panamera is really a 4 door coupe (seating for 4) a far cry for the cavernous interiors of the cars you mentioned.....it competes better with the maserati quattroporte and aston rapide...i suspect you are not familiar with the roomy back seat of an s class or a 7 series....
What is "Classified" is actually more accurate (Although not perfect) than what your using by looking at exterior dimentions. Eg: The VW CC has a smaller exterior and is a 4 seater, yet it has more rear leg room and cargo capacity than the 4G.

When you look at the TL over the last 10 years its interior dimentions havent changed that dramatically, but the exterior dimentions with the 4G have and gives many the perception that its a larger car. Here is also a clip from one of many publications

"Size it Up
While all of the cars in this class qualify as midsize, some are bigger than others. Cadillac, for instance, has two entries in this class, the smaller CTS and the larger STS. Other cars, such as the Audi A6, BMW 5-Series, Infiniti M, Jaguar S-Type, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class are at the larger end of the spectrum. Meanwhile, the Acura TL, Lincoln Zephyr, Saab 9-5, and Volvo S60 are at the smaller end.
"

Where the Panamera competes is my opinion, but also an informed opinion that appears to be shared with the majority of the industry. The quickest and first place to look is at your own source and link in your original post. Go click on your links and tell us what Car & Driver posts as the top competitors for the Panamera and the TL .

now you are cooking and (almost) got my point.

The problem though is that your point is really a moot point being that your comparison is unrealistic.

I understand what your saying about the "Laws of diminishing returns" but i proved to you by showing with your own logic and source that anyone can do an outrageous comparison and once manipulating the facts try to show one is a better value than another (Taurus SHO vs Quattroportte).

you tell me why reliability should not be taken in consideration when someone buy a car?? Do you get your money for free or you work for a living??

Reliability is a measure of quality...maybe one of the most important one....lack of reliability is what destroyed jaguar (and other brands as well)
I never said reliability shouldnt be taken into consideration. As you stated before though how the luxury factor over the last 20 years has become closer between brands, the same is very true for reliability, safety etc and almost to the point where its becoming a lesser issue for some.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
I remember when some of the "bashers" said almost categorically that the TL was not a 5 Series competitor and was never intended to be so...then I posted the Acura Press document where the company states very well that the TL was intended as competitor for both the 3 Series and the 6 cylinder 5 Series......silence after that....

Many magazines do not draw the comparison only based on price....for example, C&D uses all the time to make this kind of comparo...."What car can I buy with, let's say, 40k"??
I think most of us here know where Acura has intended to market the TL (And it sure wasnt the Panamera). That marketing information has been posted and mentioned many times before and if you go back to that thread you'll notice It was mentioned before you did in that thread your referring too.

You have to realise Saturno that most of us here are Automotive Enthusiasts and not just TL Enthusiasts. Just because we dont agree with you on such an outrageous comparison, doesnt mean we are "Bashers" of the 4G. Most including myself appreciate the 4G for what it is, a nice driving, performance oriented, entry/near level luxury sedan. When you start comparing it to vehicles that are way out of its category, its obviously going to be comical (which you stated it wasnt) or else it was meant to try and justify something and people here are probably going to comment on it.

Either way, to each his own and obviously (like others have said) we agree to disagree.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
I said it "SEEMS" like you are and as many others have said, in many of your answers you are dangerously close to insinuating that the 4G is better.
Again...I think the TL is a much better car for the money than what the Panamera 3.6 4 (I put an emphasis in that particular trim level..the S and the Turbo are another matter) in their respective price range.

Do I "recognize" the "right" to the Panamera to cost more?? Of course I do, there is the brand, the finishing, some technical aspects.....40K more?? That's, again, it's a different story.

The VW CC has a smaller exterior and is a 4 seater, yet it has more rear leg room and cargo capacity than the 4G.
Again either a disingenuous or an ill-informed comment....the CC has the same cargo volume as the TL (unless you are taking in consideration the rear seat folded in the CC, tbut that is comparing apples with oranges), less headroom front and back (not much but less nevertheless) less legroom in the front...just a touch more legroom in the back (source: yahoo auto)

Size it Up
While all of the cars in this class qualify as midsize, some are bigger than others. Cadillac, for instance, has two entries in this class, the smaller CTS and the larger STS. Other cars, such as the Audi A6, BMW 5-Series, Infiniti M, Jaguar S-Type, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class are at the larger end of the spectrum. Meanwhile, the Acura TL, Lincoln Zephyr, Saab 9-5, and Volvo S60 are at the smaller end.
"
I don't know at what TL generation that statement refers to....the TL external dimension (195.5 x 74.0) are a touch bigger than the 5 Series (193.1 x 73.2) Infiniti M (194.7 x 71.1) and Audi A6 (193.5 x 73) with comparable interior dimensions. (source Yahoo Auto)

Where the Panamera competes is my opinion, but also an informed opinion that appears to be shared with the majority of the industry. The quickest and first place to look is at your own source and link in your original post. Go click on your links and tell us what Car & Driver posts as the top competitors for the Panamera and the TL .
Again, where the Panamera surely competes with the top sedans you mentioned is prestige and price, I do not see much competitition in "functional" segment...I do not see a typical S Class or 7 Series user (often with chauffeur in tow) cross shopping the Panamera.

And you assumed I was comparing the market segment of the Panamera with the TL...I do not obviously.....it is interesting to notice that no other Panamera market competitor offer 6 cylinder engines as base models at least in the Northamerican market.

However there are not published numbers about interior dimensions of the Panamera so it is all speculation...however given the almost perfect match in exterior dimensions with the TL and the fact that the Panamera has a longitudinally mounted engine I can reasonably assume that there should not be big differences....

The problem though is that your point is really a moot point being that your comparison is unrealistic.
Unrealistic from a market segment point of view, very realistic from a functional and performance point of view.

but i proved to you by showing with your own logic and source that anyone can do an outrageous comparison and once manipulating the facts try to show one is a better value than another (Taurus SHO vs Quattroportte).
Maybe you proved my point instead, demonstrating in effect that the Taurus SHO may be indeed a better value for the money than the Quattroporte is...however, let's remember, the Taurus SHO has a 6 cylinder engine of smaller displacement and power (where the TL Sh-AWD and the Panamera 3.6 match perfectly) vs, the V-8 of the Maserati, a more utilitarian suspension scheme (MacPherson struts in the front vs. double wishbone) and I suspect that the SHO even fully loaded has less accessories than a base Quattroporte.....however, again I suspect you proven my point indeed...

As you stated before though how the luxury factor over the last 20 years has become closer between brands, the same is very true for reliability, safety etc and almost to the point where its becoming a lesser issue for some.
If you read the statistics and the "words on the street" (user's experience, mechanics, etc..) actually realibility for some brands have deteriorated and there is more diversity in the marketplace...

I think most of us here know where Acura has intended to market the TL (And it sure wasnt the Panamera). That marketing information has been posted and mentioned many times before and if you go back to that thread you'll notice It was mentioned before you did in that thread your referring too.
Evidently someone did not get the message if I did need to post that link......

You have to realise Saturno that most of us here are Automotive Enthusiasts and not just TL Enthusiasts
What about being Automotive informed and knowledgeable enthusiasts? It would not hurt....

Just because we dont agree with you on such an outrageous comparison
When you start comparing it to vehicles that are way out of its category, its obviously going to be comical (which you stated it wasnt) or else it was meant to try and justify something and people here are probably going to comment on it.
You seem to be one of the few that do not "get" the sense of my comparison...too bad....but I'm glad that the vast majority of others did....
Old 12-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by MyT6MT
You really don't get the point of the comparison?

It's simple! Price to performance ratio!
25,000 miles on my 2010 TL 6-6 now. Haven't regretted it for a second, and it continues to surprise me how very well it compares with cars that cost thousands more.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Again...I think the TL is a much better car for the money than what the Panamera 3.6 4 ....
Don't get roped into wasting too much time arguing. It is a complete waste of time, and people frequently respond just for a lack of having anything better to do.

:-)