OEM Oil and Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
OEM Oil and Filter

Does anyone run strictly OEM products? I have been running Mobil 1 but am considering making the switch. Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2015, 02:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,671 Likes on 6,690 Posts
Why bother with factory oil? oil is oil. I stick with OEM filter though.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Read that they use a specific blend.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Meh not worth it. I use Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 5w 20 and Honda oil filter and follow the MID (which is already quite conservative..)
Old 05-06-2015, 09:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Meh not worth it. I use Mobile 1 Full Synthetic 5w 20 and Honda oil filter and follow the MID (which is already quite conservative..)
Well you shouldn't be...Acura specifically states not to use synthetic oil because the cars engine was engineered to run with a non synthetic blend of oil.

Acura does not recommend the use of synthetic oils in models that do not require them as your Acura was designed and engineered based on the oil recommended in your owner's manual. The Acura Maintenance Minder calculates your vehicle's needs based on the oil recommended by the Acura engineers that designed your engine. The use of synthetic oil will not extend the oil change interval
Old 05-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Originally Posted by SirCarroll
Does anyone run strictly OEM products? I have been running Mobil 1 but am considering making the switch. Thoughts?
I use the OEM honda filter or the Mobil M1 filter (if I get them for free with my oil) and use Mobil 1 High Mileage Extended Performance 5W-20 that is rated to 15K miles. I still switch it out when the MID gets to 0 usually by 9K miles.

Just as long as you don't put a crappy filter and crappy oil in, you'll be fine!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
M1-104 (S2000) filter + Penzoil Platinum

Buying OEM motor oil doesn't seem necessary at all to me. I am putting in OEM ATF and DPSF fluids though.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by wreak
Well you shouldn't be...Acura specifically states not to use synthetic oil because the cars engine was engineered to run with a non synthetic blend of oil.
Evidence to substantiate said claim?
Old 05-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Evidence to substantiate said claim?
I don't think any evidence is necessary when the company that engineered and built the engine is telling you specifically not to run synthetic oil. You could ask Acura directly, I'm sure they'd give you an answer. My guess is when they engineered and built the engine they optimized it to run on their specific blend of oil, not the oil of some random company. They also engineer some of their cars to run on synthetic, so I'd probably listen to what they're saying.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Instructor

^ I concur so that is the reason for my question. I have been running Mobil 1 syn since I got the car. There a some consumption but I don't think it is abnormal. I have read in many threads that consumption ramps up around 50k and I am about 1200 miles away from that. I would like to do whatever I can if anything to prevent having the same issue.

As you have stated it is a "Blend" so it's probably best to use their branded oil.

Last edited by SirCarroll; 05-07-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Yeah, I'm guessing their business model is to have the car last so long you'll never have to buy another.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't think any evidence is necessary when the company that engineered and built the engine is telling you specifically not to run synthetic oil. You could ask Acura directly, I'm sure they'd give you an answer. My guess is when they engineered and built the engine they optimized it to run on their specific blend of oil, not the oil of some random company. They also engineer some of their cars to run on synthetic, so I'd probably listen to what they're saying.
Eh, the only real difference is going to be on some 'high mileage' oils where they have additives that will swell up rubber in effort to prevent leaks.

I think this one of those situations where you're taking them a little too literally.

5w20 is 5w20 as long as it is held to the same minimum standards. I think the true test would be to send samples of your oil to BlackStone Labs and have them take a peek at the actual condition of your oil after XXXX miles to see how it's holding up.

Given that AZ users have clearly had mixed experiences with different oil brands in burning oil off I don't think anyone can make a blanketed statement of "OEM or bust".
Old 05-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLer trash
Yeah, I'm guessing their business model is to have the car last so long you'll never have to buy another.
I'd say Honda has pretty well proven that IS their model by being one of the most reliable brands on the market. Just because a product lasts a long time doesn't mean your sales will slump, people are materialistic enough to always want the newest tech so they'll keep buying new cars even if they don't need them. Why do you think leasing is so popular.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Eh, the only real difference is going to be on some 'high mileage' oils where they have additives that will swell up rubber in effort to prevent leaks.

I think this one of those situations where you're taking them a little too literally.

5w20 is 5w20 as long as it is held to the same minimum standards. I think the true test would be to send samples of your oil to BlackStone Labs and have them take a peek at the actual condition of your oil after XXXX miles to see how it's holding up.

Given that AZ users have clearly had mixed experiences with different oil brands in burning oil off I don't think anyone can make a blanketed statement of "OEM or bust".
I'm not saying the engine is going to implode by using non OEM oil, I'm saying they engineered the engine to run with their blend, I don't care what you run for oil. I switched my last Acura to Mobil 1 for a single oil change and the car did nothing but consume oil from that point forward, so I'll personally never do it again.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not saying the engine is going to implode by using non OEM oil, I'm saying they engineered the engine to run with their blend, I don't care what you run for oil. I switched my last Acura to Mobil 1 for a single oil change and the car did nothing but consume oil from that point forward, so I'll personally never do it again.
Does switching oil matters specifically OEM synthetic to OEM regular ?
Old 05-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Royal Purple 10-2867 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic. Since the 1st oil change to 18k.
(Used the same products on my old 2001 CL type-S until I traded it in at 180k miles)
(No problems with oil consumption -always on full however I change it ever 6 months or 6K)
(other solid oil filters Amsoil EA15K13 or Mobil M1-110)
(Dw-1 Trans Fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear® 75W-90Transfer Case, DPSF Rear Diff)
One day Ill try Redline or Amsoil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

Basically the same as TheMuffinman
I live in the cold so I always run synthetic and massive Interstate megatron plus battery. Same formula I have used in every car since 84. I have high respect for Amsoil since it was the only manual transmission gear oil that would eliminate the 'scratchy' and tough to shift into 2nd gear when cold on my old 85 RX-7 GSLSE (I tried everything)

Last edited by Anicra; 05-07-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
What the 2013 TL SHAWD's owners manual says on

Synthetic Oil
You may use a synthetic motor oil if
it meets the same requirements
given for a conventional motor oil: it
displays the API Certification Seal
and it is the proper weight. You must
follow the oil and filter change
intervals shown on the multiinformation
display.

Basically 5w-20 and look for the starburst (for gasoline engines)

My personal view is that I have had more engine issues in the past using regular oil vs synthetic (Not talking about my Acuras). So I am sold on synthetic for like 30 years so I am very bias toward synthetics. I have used Royal Purple HPS, Amsoil, Mobil 1 (almost all formula), Castrol, Pennzoil and Valvoline. My least favorite was Valvoline. I have been very impressed by the newer Pennzoil so much I changed from Mobil-1 I used for 12 years in the old CL.

Ultimately I believe it boils down to proper maintenance and intervals. For example, I cannot personally imagine doing oil change and leaving the old filter in and I lean towards slightly lower intervals than recommended.

Last edited by Anicra; 05-08-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Acura now also recommends 0W-20 for most models. Does that mean I would put 0W-20 and run that through the summer months? Hell no. Maybe in the winter...but just maybe.

Engine oil is one of those subjects that always gets people excited. The truth is, under normal day-to-day use, you could put in any oil and as long as you change it frequently (before it becomes too acidic) then you will be fine. I put in synthetic oil because I like the fact that it retains its properties better under heavy load/high temp conditions. It also has a slightly longer life but I still change it every 5k.

I would say, the oil filter is a lot more important than the oil itself. Don't buy Honda filters - they are made by honeywell...the same company that used to make the shitty Frams. Honda also had some nice Filtech filters but they are now gone except for the one for the S2000.

My recommendation is...use any oil with viscosity of 5W-20 and a Mobil 1 filter.

Last edited by acupower; 05-08-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just can't bring myself to ever use anything with Mobil 1 on it ever again. I had a 2005 TSX, the car ran amazing and never burnt a drop of oil between changes at Acura. I got the oil changed once using Mobil 1 oil and filter and the car burnt oil like crazy after that single change even after switching back to OEM gear. Who knows, maybe it was a complete coincidence, but it was still enough to make me never deviate from OEM Acura stuff again.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

I just can't bring myself to ever use anything with Mobil 1 on it ever again. I had a 2005 TSX, the car ran amazing and never burnt a drop of oil between changes at Acura. I got the oil changed once using Mobil 1 oil and filter and the car burnt oil like crazy after that single change even after switching back to OEM gear. Who knows, maybe it was a complete coincidence, but it was still enough to make me never deviate from OEM Acura stuff again.
Ok, so how about:

Penzoil
Amsoil
Royal Purple
Castrol
Valvoline
Quaker State
RedLine
Havoline
etc

You're going to discredit all of Mobil1 (and an oil but OEM Acura) because of one experience you had in a vehicle you no longer own?

Have you read through BITOG at all? Or bothered sending your oil to Blackstone Labs for analysis to see how your oil is actually performing?

You've got a very narrow mindset for such a small experience.

In my S2000, Mobil1 and Amsoil burned off quicker than Castrol Syntec. So I use Syntec. In my Mazda3 I had, I used Penzoil Platinum due to how well it performed in BITOG tests and from other users' experience with it. I'm going to use PP in the TL unless I see an issue and then will shuffle/change oils accordingly.

It's going to blow your mind to know that Acura doesn't make their own oil, it's outsourced/rebranded stuff from Exxon-Mobil. And their filters are Filtech or Toyo-Roki.

Last edited by TheMuffinMan; 05-11-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Correlation =/= Causation.

But hey, more power to you man, you're supporting your local dealership so that's great (for them).
Old 05-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Ok, so how about:
And their filters are Filtech or Toyo-Roki.
Did they switch over to Toyo-Roki recently? Last time I bought a Honda filter from the dealer it was branded as Honeywell.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acupower
Did they switch over to Toyo-Roki recently? Last time I bought a Honda filter from the dealer it was branded as Honeywell.
Looks like I left them out!

Found the Honeywell applications here - looks like it replaced the Filtechs/Toyo!

Here's the one I know is Filtech/Toyo 15400-PLM-A01

That one lists the 2015 Accord, Civic, CRV, CRZ, Crosstour, and Insight as applications.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

A02 is the Honeywell's that have replaced Filtech