New TL owner, kind of frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:16 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TL owner, kind of frustrated

Hello everyone, first post here. I have a 2010 TL sh-awd 5at with 53k miles. Sorry this might be a bit of a long post.

The car was fantastic in the beginning, but lately I've been having some issues with it. Rather, they are more like annoyances that will most likely turn into issues. First off, I love this car. It is comfortable, fast (fast enough for me) and a blast to drive. Best car I've owned in those respects.

For the past month or so, I've noticed that it has been consuming quite a bit of engine oil. Not really too big of a deal, even my mom's pilot consumed oil. In the 2300 miles I've put on it I've had to add almost a quart and a half of oil. The past 2 weeks or so I noticed it was shifting very hard and overall just riding rough. Checked the transmission fluid and it was low, a good amount below the bottom dot. That's the main thing I'm concerned with right now. I added a bit and its a little better now.

Also, I have been experiencing the low speed "rumble"/vibration/grinding at around 20-30mph, which from reading other posts, is pointing to the torque converter. Another issue is I'm hearing a slight "whistling" noise at higher speeds which may or may not be the propeller shaft? On top of that, when I got home earlier today there was white smoke coming from the exhaust that smelled pretty bad. popped the hood and could smell something in there as well. No leaks from what I can tell, its not overheating.

I am by no means an expert but I know when somethings up. I feel like there are too many issues popping up that will end up costing me a good chunk of change, as the car is no longer under warranty. If these issues continue I will seriously consider trading the car in for something else, as much as I would hate to do that, like I said I love this thing. I just don't want to have to crawl underneath the damn thing every other week.

There were other options that I considered before buying this car including a first gen RDX and fifth gen Subaru Legacy 3.6. AWD is a must for me. I know the legacy isnt as sporty, but has decent power for how I drive. Have there been similar issues with the first gen RDX?

TL;DR: Having a bunch of issues with 2010 tl sh-awd. If issues continue on, how do other cars like the RDX and Legacy 3.6 stack up? I appreciate any input, thanks.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I wonder why the car is no longer under warranty? The powertrain warranty is 6yr/70K miles, so you might want to double check on that.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:45 AM
7th Gear

I bought it used with only 3 month/3k warranty. I figured its acura, its supposed to be bulletproof. I remember my mom's 09 pilot (granted 3.5 motor) had absolutely zero issues other than a little bit of oil consumption. It's just kind of disappointing.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Regardless of where you bought the car in the US, your Acura is still covered under Acura powertrain warranty for 6yrs/70K miles. Unless there is more to the story that we don't know.

The SHAWD is prone to oil consumption. If you do a search on the forum, you'll find good information on the issue. Dealers will reluctantly replace the engine under warranty but you'll have to fight for it.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:53 AM
7th Gear

I understand. I guess what I'm really debating is, is it worth the hassle/headache of trying get these things dealt with, or am I better off trading it in for something else before the issues become more serious.

I don't drive long distances often, I don't drive very fast, rarely above 80. I like a car I can throw a mod or two on as well and I know the TL has a few, as well as the legacy. I am curious about the RDX as well. I'd opt for that if it doesn't have the same issues as this one. I don't mind paying a little bit more per month than I am now if it means fewer problems.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
the previous owner most likely ditched the car when these issues arose. If you enjoy the car, get it fixed. You shouldn't have to pay a dime for powertrain issues. If it went around 50K miles before the problems showed up you shouldn't have much to worry about. My '12 TL is going in tomorrow to get a new torque converter at 37K miles.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frathora
I understand. I guess what I'm really debating is, is it worth the hassle/headache of trying get these things dealt with, or am I better off trading it in for something else before the issues become more serious.

I don't drive long distances often, I don't drive very fast, rarely above 80. I like a car I can throw a mod or two on as well and I know the TL has a few, as well as the legacy. I am curious about the RDX as well. I'd opt for that if it doesn't have the same issues as this one. I don't mind paying a little bit more per month than I am now if it means fewer problems.
If I were you, I'd give an Acura dealer a chance to fix the problem. If they can't or won't fix, I'll get rid of the car for sure.

The 1st gen RDX seems solid from what I've read. But it has pretty stiff ride and average gas mileage.

As far as the Legacy, I only test drive the latest generation. It's extremely nice and solid for the price. The CVT takes time to get used to but I think it's well under-rated in the class where people only talk about Camry, Accord, Altima, and Fusion.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:01 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for your input. I think for now I will see if my dealership can/wants to fix the TL. If not, I will most likely be looking into a 5th gen Legacy 3.6r limited.

Also, just came back in from checking the oil/transmission fluid again. Oil was a bit low again and it is still giving off a strange smell on startup. like burney gassy smell. Don't see any dripping or any puddles on my garage floor.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Thanks for your input. I think for now I will see if my dealership can/wants to fix the TL. If not, I will most likely be looking into a 5th gen Legacy 3.6r limited.

Also, just came back in from checking the oil/transmission fluid again. Oil was a bit low again and it is still giving off a strange smell on startup. like burney gassy smell. Don't see any dripping or any puddles on my garage floor.
Looks like you got a car someone dumped. The 3.7L SH-AWD engines come lined with slicon liners that apparently prematurely wear or wear the piston rings thus causing oil consumption. You can try a thicker oil like 5W-40 and see if it helps at all. Also go to your acura dealership and get it checked out!
Old 09-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
Propellor shaft need replacing...that's the whistling nose that sound like it in the front passenger area. I had that fixed before my warranty expired. The torque converter got extended for 7 years via TSB.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:26 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by csmeance
Looks like you got a car someone dumped. The 3.7L SH-AWD engines come lined with slicon liners that apparently prematurely wear or wear the piston rings thus causing oil consumption. You can try a thicker oil like 5W-40 and see if it helps at all. Also go to your acura dealership and get it checked out!
Yeah feels like I got one that someone dumped. Going to call the dealership in the morning and see if we can figure something out. Hopefully something can get worked out and the issues resolved. I'd hate to let this car go. My dad mentioned when he switched to conventional on the pilot it stopped consuming, anyone try that?
Old 09-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
That sucks about your car. This is why when buying a used car out of warranty (or even in warranty) you should definitely have a mechanic check it out for 120.00 or so. Worth every penny. I had a 1st Gen RDX for awhile. Its a great car, I would give it a look.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:33 PM
7th Gear

Update: I called the dealership this morning. I explained everything that I mentioned on here. They told me the "whistling" sound at higher speeds is "normal." They told me the low speed/rpm vibration/rumbling is "most likely something with the transmission." I told them I've been reading dozens of posts online about that being a torque converter issue and would have to be replaced. They said they have never had to replace a torque converter for any of their cars, but should get checked out. Also, I can bring my car in, but they can't guarantee they'll get to it anytime soon because they have a high volume of cars needing service/repairs/etc. at the moment.

So, at this point I am pretty disappointed. As much as I would hate to get rid of this car, it seems like these issues won't get resolved without constant hounding and headaches. It is really unfortunate, but I think I'm going to start shopping around again.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:42 PM
Drifting

Update: I called the dealership this morning. I explained everything that I mentioned on here. They told me the "whistling" sound at higher speeds is "normal." They told me the low speed/rpm vibration/rumbling is "most likely something with the transmission." I told them I've been reading dozens of posts online about that being a torque converter issue and would have to be replaced. They said they have never had to replace a torque converter for any of their cars, but should get checked out. Also, I can bring my car in, but they can't guarantee they'll get to it anytime soon because they have a high volume of cars needing service/repairs/etc. at the moment.

So, at this point I am pretty disappointed. As much as I would hate to get rid of this car, it seems like these issues won't get resolved without constant hounding and headaches. It is really unfortunate, but I think I'm going to start shopping around again.
Ugh. That's bullshit. That whistling sound is NOT normal. Try a different dealership that has a good rep in your area. Do some research or toss some names out here and we can try and share our experiences. Which dealership is this ?
Old 09-16-2015, 04:21 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by SilverJ
Ugh. That's bullshit. That whistling sound is NOT normal. Try a different dealership that has a good rep in your area. Do some research or toss some names out here and we can try and share our experiences. Which dealership is this ?
Yeah, I mean they weren't dicks about it but he was just like "ehhh yeah it's probably not the TC we've never had to replace those"
Old 09-16-2015, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

try another dealer. I dropped my '12 off just this morning for torque converter and propellor - it already had the propellor replaced a year ago. Whistle is back. The tech went on a drive with me and noticed the whistle and the tach hunting, as well as a drone especially after braking from 55 to about 20, then re-accelerating. I was told they do some kind of electrical study on the lift and send it to Acura - sounds like corporate has to approve the TC replacement. I got a '16 MDX SH-AWD w/tech as a loaner. Already miss my TL
Old 09-17-2015, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
try another dealer. I dropped my '12 off just this morning for torque converter and propellor - it already had the propellor replaced a year ago. Whistle is back. The tech went on a drive with me and noticed the whistle and the tach hunting, as well as a drone especially after braking from 55 to about 20, then re-accelerating. I was told they do some kind of electrical study on the lift and send it to Acura - sounds like corporate has to approve the TC replacement. I got a '16 MDX SH-AWD w/tech as a loaner. Already miss my TL
2016 MDX eh ? I love the 2015 MDX, did they ruin the 2016 MDX ?
I had planned on getting one at some point down the road, but soon as I read it has a lot of the same stuff that I hate about the TLX I changed my mind. (the transmission, no shifter for the trans, just buttons)
Old 09-17-2015, 08:31 AM
Burning Brakes

^^

IMO yes, they ruined the MDX. The push button trans is just stupid. The dealer is over an hour away from home and I spent the majority of the trip trying to find a place for my right hand. Its jerky, and hunts for the right gear incessantly. The car only has 300 miles on it, so maybe it gets better after break-in, but I was not digging it. I owned a 2010 MDX that was fabulous except for MPG. Had a 2014 MDX loaner a couple years ago and had no issues with it either. If I were in the market I would not have anything to do with this new transmission
Old 09-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
^^

IMO yes, they ruined the MDX. The push button trans is just stupid. The dealer is over an hour away from home and I spent the majority of the trip trying to find a place for my right hand. Its jerky, and hunts for the right gear incessantly. The car only has 300 miles on it, so maybe it gets better after break-in, but I was not digging it. I owned a 2010 MDX that was fabulous except for MPG. Had a 2014 MDX loaner a couple years ago and had no issues with it either. If I were in the market I would not have anything to do with this new transmission
Damn that's too bad. First they ruined the TL, now they ruined the MDX with that crappy 9 speed transmission and push buttons.
I currently have a 2011 MDX that we love but the gas mileage is pretty bad. The 2014 MDX gets REALLY good mileage in comparison. I will trade in for that in a couple of years and avoid the 2016 like the plague.
Switching to that Trans and that stupid push button scheme is going to go down as one of the worst decisions Acura engineering ever made.
The only people I know who like that HAVE to like it because they shelled out 40K for the TLX already and have no choice. Theres definitely other things to like about the TLX and I'm sure the new MDX, but I just can't get past the trans.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Prop shaft

Thats Bs. Ive had 2TL's and had both drive shafts replaced. Dealer swore i was the only 2 drive shafts they have done.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
Prop shaft on my 2009 TL symptom:

Whistling noise, front passenger area, over 60 km/h, for sure, you can hear it on highway with no music on. It was replaced in 2013.

Torque Convertor symptom:

Must be at around 1000-1200 rpm and under slight load going uphill. You just hold the pedal steady at that rpm. Mine is not too bad so I am going to wait until just before warranty expires to fix it. They call it a rumble and it happens when the clutch plate is just about to hold for next gear. I sat with a lead mechanic to confirm it happens.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:47 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by echodigital
Prop shaft on my 2009 TL symptom:

Whistling noise, front passenger area, over 60 km/h, for sure, you can hear it on highway with no music on. It was replaced in 2013.

Torque Convertor symptom:

Must be at around 1000-1200 rpm and under slight load going uphill. You just hold the pedal steady at that rpm. Mine is not too bad so I am going to wait until just before warranty expires to fix it. They call it a rumble and it happens when the clutch plate is just about to hold for next gear. I sat with a lead mechanic to confirm it happens.
My whistling is coming from under the hood around my side but from about 20to60 km/h, could this be the same problem ?
Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura detailing
My whistling is coming from under the hood around my side but from about 20to60 km/h, could this be the same problem ?
The speed at which my whistling noise presented itself seemed to vary with the temperature as well. Had it replaced and there has been no issue since.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
can the dealer void your warranty and refuse to replace the TC if you installed coilovers and new wheels?