New Owner - Interior Lighting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
New Owner - Interior Lighting Questions

Hi all,

I am a new owner of 2013 TL with TECH. Loving the car so far. I have a quick question on the interior lighting.

I was reading the spec sheet and came across a few things that I dont understand or see in my car. Could you please help!

1) LED backlit gauges with progressive illumination - Does the progressive illumination mean that you can increase / decrease the gauge brightness?

2) Ambient cabin lighting - Does that refer to the color of map lights etc?

3) Driver and front passenger’s footwell lighting - Where are these? I cant find them and I see no light while driving at night. Is there a way to turn these on? DO you have a picture of their location/ effect?

4) Driver’s and passenger illuminated door handle recesses. This shows up on the Exterior features. I haven't seen this either. Any pictures?

I appreciate your help!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
1) LED backlit gauges with progressive illumination - Does the progressive illumination mean that you can increase / decrease the gauge brightness?

yes, there is a button on the left side of your steering wheel on the dash

2) Ambient cabin lighting - Does that refer to the color of map lights etc?

yes it does..

3) Driver and front passenger’s footwell lighting - Where are these? I cant find them and I see no light while driving at night. Is there a way to turn these on? DO you have a picture of their location/ effect?

it turns on when the headlights are on.. its very dim.. you can take it apart and drill a hole to make it ricer bright.

4) Driver’s and passenger illuminated door handle recesses. This shows up on the Exterior features. I haven't seen this either. Any pictures?

not sure about illuminated door handle.. never heard about that.
The following users liked this post:
aks1972 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
You can replace the courtesy lights and trunk light with LED bulbs... just don't do what I did:

I tried to fit a bulb in that was too big in the trunk and courtesy light sockets and ended up shorting both of them out. There was a fuse in the gauge cluster that had to be replaced that the dealer had to do for me.

Also, I replaced the reverse light bulbs with LEDs and one of them was a bad bulb... and shorted out the entire gauge cluster, which then prevented my car from staying running (it would start, but then shut off) and it had to be towed to the dealer.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks Potmilkz!

Kahta - I am not looking to modify anything. Just seeking some answers!

Thanks anyway!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by aks1972
Hi all,

I am a newbie

I appreciate your help!
Foot fetish? Why would you need to see your toes when driving at night?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Ambient lighting refers to the footwell lights. They are quite dim and hard to see. If you place something white on the floor you should see it. Some members have modified the bulb housing to increase the light input.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
Ambient lighting refers to the footwell lights. They are quite dim and hard to see. If you place something white on the floor you should see it. Some members have modified the bulb housing to increase the light input.
Very dim, blue lights. Same as the ones that you can just barely see shining on your hand while it's on the shifter (assuming you have the MT, I don't know if the AT has them or not).
Old 08-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sluzynsk
Very dim, blue lights. Same as the ones that you can just barely see shining on your hand while it's on the shifter (assuming you have the MT, I don't know if the AT has them or not).
Yes, we do. The lights are located in the overhead console.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
The blue lights (overhead and points down at cup holders) are really cool. I didn't really notice it until months after I had the car because I was driving. I am going to have to check out the foot wells in the car at night now.