New owner: '12 TL SH-AWD Tech..finally!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking New owner: '12 TL SH-AWD Tech..finally!

Long term forum member...signed up way back in 2006!! So I guess I am an OG here even though I don't post much.

Anyways..since '06 I have had a string of BMWs including '03 325i, '05 M3 and most recently an '09 335i. All fantastic cars with excellent ride/handling balance. Only (major) issue has been reliability and cost of upkeep. My wallet felt a lot lighter every time I walked out of the BMW dealer

So...I read all the reviews, did my research, asked friends/family..and I ended buying a new KIA Optima SX premium touring with pano sunroof/cooled seats/etc. Oh my God...what was I thinking! The car looks great but everything else is so subpar..handling, wind/road noise, craftmanship, etc. I could not live with it for the next 5+ years

I knew I had to get out...so I made a contact from a great member here on Acurazine who gave me the name of his salesman/dealership.

Few phone calls/emails later....I traded in the Kia with only 3K miles for a brand spanking new 2012 TL SH-AWD Tech black/umber combo! Picked her up last night. What a beautiful interior...way more luxurious than a 3 series BMW.

Think I got a fantastic deal on the trade and the new car.
Could you believe the selling price before taxes/title was $36500 +$399(processing) = $36899 for car with MSRP of $43770. Yes, my price does include destination before anyone asks. Also, did not lose much at all on the Kia which was a big relief given the history of the brand.

I must say..the TL drives like a RWD BMW 335i sport package which I still have but will be returning at lease end this month. The road noise on the TL is bit more than expected..we'll see how she hold up for years to come!

My family has had multiple Honda/Acura products all of which have run >100K miles without issues including my father's '01 CRV with 250K miles!

Glad to be part of the TL family, my first Acura. I promise pics when I get home.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Two points we would seem to immediately agree upon; BMW's are wonderfully engineered to be attractive, powerful, unreliable machines - and The Kia/Hyundai family is overwhelmingly all curb appeal and otherwise sub-par disposable crap.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Great color combo. As you have already discovered, the TL is a great car. As far as road noise is concerned, a tire swap may help a bit. As is customary, share a pic or two
Old 04-05-2012, 05:49 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Good choice for your TL. You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Enjoy, its a great car!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
Congratulations. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on all of the differences in the cars. Since I have been purchasing vehicles I have only owned Honda/Acuras, so I don't have much frame of reference and enjoying hearing other thoughts.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I enjoyed your review! How does the straightlne acceleration compare to your bmw's? Welcome hope you post more often.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Congrats Mihink! I hope you'll post more now.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Enjoy your new ride!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
WOW! You got a great deal!!! Congrats!

Yes, the umber interior is quite something, isn't it!? So beautiful and lux....

Enjoy your 2012 TL SH-AWD w/ Tech - one year later, I am enjoying it more and more! I am sure that you will too :-)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Instructor

Photos..sorry for the crappy Iphone pics. Everyone at the office loves it and i like it even more
Attached Thumbnails New owner: '12 TL SH-AWD Tech..finally!-photo-1.jpg   New owner: '12 TL SH-AWD Tech..finally!-photo-2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Instructor

More pics
Attached Thumbnails New owner: '12 TL SH-AWD Tech..finally!-photo-3.jpg   New owner: '12 TL SH-AWD Tech..finally!-photo-4.jpg   New owner: '12 TL SH-AWD Tech..finally!-photo-5.jpg   New owner: '12 TL SH-AWD Tech..finally!-photo-6.jpg   New owner: '12 TL SH-AWD Tech..finally!-photo-7.jpg  

Old 04-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Sweet! I know you have plans for her. It's unavoidable!
Old 04-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Treblig
Sweet! I know you have plans for her. It's unavoidable!
You are correct!

1. Ordered LED license plate/trunk/door coutesy lights
2. Ordered all season floor mats/cargo net/emergency kit
3. Going to do the 'brighter under dash light' mod tonight
4. Going to eliminate DRL by pulling fuse
5. Looking for '09-'11 "dual" sh-awd exhaust tips...which I really like
6. Plan on tinting next week (35% or 50% - not decided it)

I think that's all for now...this forum is addictive with all the mods!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Congrats! The black is sharp. Id say go with 35% tint, 50% wont do much.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mihink
You are correct!

1. Ordered LED license plate/trunk/door coutesy lights
2. Ordered all season floor mats/cargo net/emergency kit
3. Going to do the 'brighter under dash light' mod tonight
4. Going to eliminate DRL by pulling fuse
5. Looking for '09-'11 "dual" sh-awd exhaust tips...which I really like
6. Plan on tinting next week (35% or 50% - not decided it)

I think that's all for now...this forum is addictive with all the mods!
I salute you for number 4 but watch out, there are those here who will berate you for "defeating a safety feature"
Old 04-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
By the way, how the heck did you get $7K off sticker??
Old 04-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I salute you for number 4 but watch out, there are those here who will berate you for "defeating a safety feature"
I have driven many cars without DRLs and had no issues with people not seeing me. You have to be an idiot for not turning your lights on when it gets dark and relying on DRLs for lighting. Plus..the DRL's make the car look cross-eyed and narrow rather than wide and purposeful. My

By the way, how the heck did you get $7K off sticker??
I called all the dealers in the DC/MD/Northern VA area (we have about 7) and 3 of them had this exact combo. I told them I want the best price and I would 'buy today' and was willing to put a deposit over the phone..which I ultimately didn't have to do.

Pohanka really is very competitive on prices, I think their goal is volume rather than profit per unit. But I don't know anybody there or their business model..so I have no way of verifying that.

Who knows...maybe I got lucky and they needed a sale!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have driven many cars without DRLs and had no issues with people not seeing me. You have to be an idiot for not turning your lights on when it gets dark and relying on DRLs for lighting. Plus..the DRL's make the car look cross-eyed and narrow rather than wide and purposeful. My

I called all the dealers in the DC/MD/Northern VA area (we have about 7) and 3 of them had this exact combo. I told them I want the best price and I would 'buy today' and was willing to put a deposit over the phone..which I ultimately didn't have to do.

Pohanka really is very competitive on prices, I think their goal is volume rather than profit per unit. But I don't know anybody there or their business model..so I have no way of verifying that.

PM sent
Old 04-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Here's a little perspective. When I was in college, I got pulled into a trial in which a guy made a legal left turn but hit a motorcycle. The lawsuit wasn't contesting fault, but rather the damages award because the driver was claiming the biker was partially negligent since he disabled the DLRL, therefore the damages award should be far less than claimed.

It was an interesting case. I personally could care less whether it truly is a useful safety feature. It simply gives forgetful people an opportunity to create a bigger hazard for themselves when they don't turn on the lights at night.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Welcome. Beautiful car with one of the best color combinations. That's an awesome price you got there, I'm jealous!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Totally agreed on the tire recommendation, if the noise isn't wind noise (and I suspect it isn't).

It's always a fact that performance tires are noisier than "grand touring" tires.

Overkill, but I had some Pirelli P-Zero Neros (normally reserved for far more expensive cars! <g>) on my ancient Prelude, and the car drove like a young panther with 'em. A few years in, one of the tires suffered tread separation (fortunately not complete, I limped into the repair shop safely), and replaced 'em with what they had on hand, Bridgestone Turanzas (nice touring tire, btw, and great in the rain).

One word: ugh. They're certainly functional and will last awhile and amazingly quiet, by contrast, but the car now drives comparably like a pig.

So, if you're getting a performance car, put up with a little noise. I found over the years I listened to the nice sound system in my Prelude SH (bought new, in '97), simply because I preferred the sound the car made instead. Plus, of course, I prefer all senses to be focused on the driving when I'm driving, rare breed that I am.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great choice, got the same color/combo.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Originally Posted by FanaticFan
Totally agreed on the tire recommendation, if the noise isn't wind noise (and I suspect it isn't).

It's always a fact that performance tires are noisier than "grand touring" tires.

Overkill, but I had some Pirelli P-Zero Neros (normally reserved for far more expensive cars! <g>) on my ancient Prelude, and the car drove like a young panther with 'em. A few years in, one of the tires suffered tread separation (fortunately not complete, I limped into the repair shop safely), and replaced 'em with what they had on hand, Bridgestone Turanzas (nice touring tire, btw, and great in the rain).

One word: ugh. They're certainly functional and will last awhile and amazingly quiet, by contrast, but the car now drives comparably like a pig.

So, if you're getting a performance car, put up with a little noise. I found over the years I listened to the nice sound system in my Prelude SH (bought new, in '97), simply because I preferred the sound the car made instead. Plus, of course, I prefer all senses to be focused on the driving when I'm driving, rare breed that I am.
Tire choice is one thing we should never skimp on.

No matter how good the TL chassis, how advance the AWD system, and how innovative the torque-vectoring; it all comes down to the four small patches of rubber that come in contact with the roads.

It is better to overkill with the best high performance tires, than to underperform on cheap tires.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Mihink, you paid exactly what I did when I bought mine new in Nov 2010... congrats on your new car... how are the upgrades coming along?

Last edited by lji; 04-18-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Instructor

thx for all the comments..the car is really driving nice. Have 750 miles in only 2 weeks! Only weird problem was the trunk light stopped working..the dealer replaced the fuse box. Searched the forums...never seen a similar problem.

There is a 'whirring' or 'whistling' sound at 40 mph and around 75 mph..was thinking it was the dreaded propeller shaft failure on my new car, but the dealer said it was a 'normal' gear whine from the trans. Time will tell if they are correct. At least i have the complaint documented.

So far have been averaging 25 mpg (75% hwy/25% city). Impressed with the mileage (hand calcluated btw), the MID was giving me 23.8 mpg avg.

As for mods: tint (45%), brighter light under dash mod, LED license plate and door courtesy lights, all weather mats, cargo net and emergency kit have been done.

Looking for a set of 19 inch advance/HPT wheels which would look great on my black car to give it some contrast. All the high end BMW/MB models and the 3G TL had silver/whitish wheels which makes the wheels look bigger and fill in the wheel wells nicely. I don't understand why Acura chose the 'greyish/dark' color for the SH-AWD 18 inch wheels...looks too ricey/aftermarket to me and makes the wheels look small especially on a big car like the TL

Last edited by mihink; 04-18-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Beautiful! Glad you traded your Kia in - this choice is much better.

I am very jealous of your interior colour - this is what I had initially wanted, but my dealer only had black on black.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts

you are correct. they are the "largest acura dealership in the world" (based on sales volume the last what? 8 yrs.

the sales dept is very straight fwd and don't really pressure you to buy right there and then. much different approach than say the OTHER NoVA dealer.

the service dept is great as well. i've never really had any issues with the serivce dept (they know me well, NO WASH please!!!!). again they don't pressure you into service items, they just tell you as it is and iif you want to take care of it, then fine...if not...no big deal. they'll note it for next time. they also have a large loaner fleet as well.

congrats on your purchase! welcome to the TL family and the money pit!
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the club. I am enjoying the CPO '10 Black on Black SHAWD 6MT I got last month with 18K miles on it. Now I have abot 20100 on her.

Gregg