New to me 2014 with a few questions…

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 05:54 PM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New to me 2014 with a few questions…

I just picked up a nice 1-owner 2014 Advance package TL with 97,000kms on it and I have a few questions regarding a couple of known issues with it.

First off, in the service records I received with the car, I noticed that the sunroof has been looked at 3-4 times throughout the first owner’s time with the car, and that it is still exhibiting the same issue today despite the car having been “fixed” by the dealership after every visit with the same issue. The sunroof will open/tilt fine but when I go to close it, it retracts to the point where it starts compressing the air deflector in the roof and then jumps backwards (some sort of anti-crush/ pinch safety switch I assume). The track and deflector hinge looks well-lubricated and *sometimes* the sunroof will close on its own, but that is very rare.

In the service records, they mention performing a “sunroof reset/relearn” and I’m wondering if someone can explain how this is done. In order to close the sunroof currently, I must hold down the air deflector until the sunroof is almost closed and then quickly move my hand to not get pinched as it closes.

Secondly, there is a trim piece that is worn, and I’m wondering if it can be replaced easily or if I need to replace the whole door panel (probably not something I’d do). See attached photo

Old 08-07-2023, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Can't help you with the sunroof. Don't use mine. Best way to keep it from breaking.

The molding on the handle comes off. it is a small piece that is removable to get to a screw that needs to be removed to get the door interior panel off. Look up on google or YouTube on how to remove Acura TL door panel and watch a video on how to get it off. You need to open the door and start pulling it off from the top front. There is a small slot to insert a screwdriver to start the pry off. Held on by clips.

Once you get that off, you can paint the one you have (metallic flat black) or replace it with a new one. Part number

83592-TK4-A01ZA

Old 08-07-2023, 10:22 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by dvd2012tl
Can't help you with the sunroof. Don't use mine. Best way to keep it from breaking.

The molding on the handle comes off. it is a small piece that is removable to get to a screw that needs to be removed to get the door interior panel off. Look up on google or YouTube on how to remove Acura TL door panel and watch a video on how to get it off. You need to open the door and start pulling it off from the top front. There is a small slot to insert a screwdriver to start the pry off. Held on by clips.

Once you get that off, you can paint the one you have (metallic flat black) or replace it with a new one. Part number

83592-TK4-A01ZA

Hey thanks so much for that info. I am going to try to re-grease the sunroof to see if it fixes my issue…
Old 08-08-2023, 03:40 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the sunroof, I have the same issue. There is a TSB for this, you can probably access it somewhere on this website. I believe the problem involves springs that control the wind deflector ---- they are too strong and need to be replaced. A couple of years ago, I brought the TSB to my dealership's attention (I have a 2013 Tech); they said they would fix the issue but would charge me around $300 because my car was out of warranty ---- I decided not to proceed with the repair as the annoyance level is not that high. The repair also requires the complete removal of the sunroof glass which also gave me pause.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:45 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
Go for the easy fix firstt!! :o) For the sun roof, I would re-lubricate it with white lithium grease. It has happened to me a couple of times in my 12 years of ownership. Make sure to get the springs (close to front of sunroof) as well.
Old 08-11-2023, 10:28 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by echodigital
Go for the easy fix firstt!! :o) For the sun roof, I would re-lubricate it with white lithium grease. It has happened to me a couple of times in my 12 years of ownership. Make sure to get the springs (close to front of sunroof) as well.
That is my intention, I picked up some Super Lube grease and am going to see if I can get it working.

I also ordered the interior part that was worn…the dealership charges $178 for that! Absolute rip off but I didn’t want to bother repainting the old one