New headlight bulb

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
New headlight bulb

So I have a 2012 TL and I recently changed to the bicolor switchbacks. I noticed that the switchbacks have a true white color while the headlights have more of an beige or off white color (typical stock HIDs). My question is has anyone changed the bulbs of their headlights to make them more white?

I assume that I wouldn't have to change anything other than the bulb since it has HIDs stock, right?
Old 07-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Stock HID bulbs are 4300K. I recently changed out both of mine for the 6000K bulbs offered at iJDMToy (specifically, these ones). I wasn't going for a colour change, as I didn't see the stock bulbs as "yellow" as some suggested. That is, until I swapped them out. My mechanic swapped out one, but apparently the driver's side was "too hard", and although he claimed it was the same colour, they clearly weren't. So for a week or so, I drove around with 4300 on the left, and 6000 on the right. There is a significant difference.

I like the new bulbs. I went with the iJDMToy bulbs because I've had good luck with their stuff in the past, and they were a relatively cheap alternative.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Stock HID bulbs are 4300K. I recently changed out both of mine for the 6000K bulbs offered at iJDMToy (specifically, these ones). I wasn't going for a colour change, as I didn't see the stock bulbs as "yellow" as some suggested. That is, until I swapped them out. My mechanic swapped out one, but apparently the driver's side was "too hard", and although he claimed it was the same colour, they clearly weren't. So for a week or so, I drove around with 4300 on the left, and 6000 on the right. There is a significant difference.

I like the new bulbs. I went with the iJDMToy bulbs because I've had good luck with their stuff in the past, and they were a relatively cheap alternative.

So you didn't do it for a color but did you notice a color change while looking at the lights? IE were they more yellow? I assume you can just change the bulbs to a 6K plug and play too right? No need for relays or ballast?
Old 07-17-2014, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Also what do you mean "too hard"?
Old 07-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SlyAccord
So you didn't do it for a color but did you notice a color change while looking at the lights? IE were they more yellow? I assume you can just change the bulbs to a 6K plug and play too right? No need for relays or ballast?
Yes, the stocks are more "yellow" compared to the 6000's, as one would expect. That said, I had no problem with the stock bulbs, and, until seeing them side-by-side, did not feel they were yellow at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with 4300's myself, and from what I understand, they will throw more light than the 6000k's. Haven't experienced any diminished road lighting, but I haven't had much opportunity to drive late at night for the past little while.

Originally Posted by SlyAccord
Also what do you mean "too hard"?
My (former) mechanic's words, not mine. That said, I did swap out the driver's side bulb myself, and it is a PITA. Might be more pleasant if you have small hands. There's a good walkthrough (with pics) on one of the threads that I found even more useful than the service manual.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:33 PM
12 BWP TL w/Tech

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, the stocks are more "yellow" compared to the 6000's, as one would expect. That said, I had no problem with the stock bulbs, and, until seeing them side-by-side, did not feel they were yellow at all. I don't think there's anything wrong with 4300's myself, and from what I understand, they will throw more light than the 6000k's. Haven't experienced any diminished road lighting, but I haven't had much opportunity to drive late at night for the past little while.

My (former) mechanic's words, not mine. That said, I did swap out the driver's side bulb myself, and it is a PITA. Might be more pleasant if you have small hands. There's a good walkthrough (with pics) on one of the threads that I found even more useful than the service manual.
can you post pics of your light output? i want to see how blue that tint is, i was actually looking to swap my stocks to 6k from ijdm
Old 07-17-2014, 06:46 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
bulb swaping is easy. jack up the front of the car, turn your wheel pointing inward so you have space, take tabs of fender liner and start taking it apart from there..

i believe its there is a cap you have to take off, then turn counter clockwise to take off the igniter, then press clips, squeeze and it should release the bulb.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
i always drop my front bumper, INSTEAD of squeezing my hands into tight spaces.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kwong819
can you post pics of your light output? i want to see how blue that tint is, i was actually looking to swap my stocks to 6k from ijdm
Not sure if pics will really show you much, as they are bound to be influenced by ambient lighting, camera quality, etc. But...here are some quick ones with my phone. Unfortunately, I didn't take any when I had one of each bulb in.

Originally Posted by potmilkz
bulb swaping is easy. jack up the front of the car, turn your wheel pointing inward so you have space, take tabs of fender liner and start taking it apart from there..

i believe its there is a cap you have to take off, then turn counter clockwise to take off the igniter, then press clips, squeeze and it should release the bulb.
I took the wheel right off, and the liner right off...and it was still a PITA (though taking the wheel and liner off was a big chunk of the work).

Originally Posted by justnspace
i always drop my front bumper, INSTEAD of squeezing my hands into tight spaces.
I've heard of others doing it that way...sounds like it might be a better way to go.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:35 AM
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
Sock, how would you say the light output is compared to the stock bulbs? I had 6k bulbs swapped in before, and light output seemed brighter up close. But in the distance, it was a noticeable drop compared to the stocks.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:48 AM
Burning Brakes

As I said in post 5 above, I haven't really had an opportunity to try it out in the dark. This time of year, this far north, the sun is up at 5:30, and doesn't go down until after 10 (meaning later than that for actual "darkness"). I only swapped 3 weeks ago, and just got back from vacation (without the car).
Old 07-18-2014, 05:46 PM
12 BWP TL w/Tech

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure if pics will really show you much, as they are bound to be influenced by ambient lighting, camera quality, etc. But...here are some quick ones with my phone. Unfortunately, I didn't take any when I had one of each bulb in.

I took the wheel right off, and the liner right off...and it was still a PITA (though taking the wheel and liner off was a big chunk of the work).

I've heard of others doing it that way...sounds like it might be a better way to go.

hmmm looks a little bluer then i expected... looks like i may need to look for 5k bulbs and 5k looking switchbacks... wanted to get 6k headlights since its easier to find switchbacks that match 6k
Old 07-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Just go with 5500K Osram CBI and call a day. I went with Osram CBI and I never look back.