Negotiating price on TL?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:06 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Spearsoft;10349389]
On to another point, holdback really isn't that high. Not even on an RL. If I remember the number correctly, it doesn't exceed $750."

Spearsoft - I invite you to look at www.consumerreports.com to verify the dealer hold back on the TL. My number is correct. My dealership first played shocked and denied then admitted to the holdback being $1237. They even asked where I got my information.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:53 AM
Advanced

I do believe my source is a little more reliable (an invoice from Acura).
Old 01-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Racer

From what I understand, holdback at my dealership is 2%. I guess it's just not as bad a situation up here in Canada right now, but I can't even imagine a dealer even speaking with someone if they mentioned dealer holdback. If you are going to ask them to tap into holdback, be ready for fireworks. This is the DEALERSHIP'S money, hence the term DEALER HOLDBACK. Managers get offended about this, some dude asked me once to sell him an MDX for invoice plus 1% of the dealer holdback. Let's just say that this customer didn't buy an MDX that day.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spearsoft
I do believe my source is a little more reliable (an invoice from Acura).
Then post a scan of your invoice...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrEvil777
Then post a scan of your invoice...
Because anyone can log onto Consumer Reports.com and see for themselves. And I really doubt Consumer Reports.com would ever purposely mislead consumers. Keep in mind the holdback % might be different here in Southern California.

And anyone with half a brain would never believe the word of a car dealer. I'm not calling you a liar but I invite you to show some proof as you openly doubt my easily confirmed facts. I look forward to seeing your scan of the invoice document.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Racer

I'm pretty sure it's 2% of the MSRP boys and girls...at least that's what we have in Canada. Either way, pay the invoice, give the dealer their 2 points and move on.

Dr. Evil...do you actually think Spearsoft is going to get c''onfidential information from his dealer principle so he can "post" it on the internet for you? Come to think of it, as far as I know, it's an agreement between the dealer and manufacturer so we wouldn't even have actual access to this. The invoice we get doesn't include holdbacks, trading dollars, incentives, etc. It's just 8% below MSRP.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
I'm pretty sure it's 2% of the MSRP boys and girls...at least that's what we have in Canada. Either way, pay the invoice, give the dealer their 2 points and move on.

Dr. Evil...do you actually think Spearsoft is going to get c''onfidential information from his dealer principle so he can "post" it on the internet for you? Come to think of it, as far as I know, it's an agreement between the dealer and manufacturer so we wouldn't even have actual access to this. The invoice we get doesn't include holdbacks, trading dollars, incentives, etc. It's just 8% below MSRP.
I don't care what Spearsoft does, I know that the Acura dealer holdback is 3% here in Southern California for this car. But if he wants to call me out, he needs to be prepared to show his "invoice." And like you said, you don't have access to it, so Spearsoft doesn't know what he is talking about.

So, for anyone looking to negotiate on a new TL, do your homework and be prepared and never believe a car dealer. Their job is to sell you a car and get you to pay the most so they make more profit. Use every resource available like AAA, Edmunds.com, Consumer Reports.com, etc. I did my homework & I love my car, I'm happy with the deal I got and the price I paid.

So...I'm more interested in how to hack the "ok" button on the Navi like we did on the 3G.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:11 PM
5th Gear

I now in Ohio they are knocking down 1500 under MSRP to get them moving...I traded my 07 TYPE S (factory ground effects) in for a 2009 Silver SH AWD with factory ground effects, door edge guards and cargo hooks with trunk insert. After a couple days of dealing, they gave me $30500 for my car against $44,760 on new one. Since
I had 36,000 mi on my TL I did not think I made out real bad. The dealer had 8 of the regular TL's and 2 AWD on lot with TEch Pkg and had NOT sold any to that point, this was on Nov 10th.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Advanced

I'm sorry but I'm not going to post my invoice on the internet, I plan on keeping this job. You believing me or not won't keep me up at night, don't worry. You can continute to be WRONG if you so choose, I'm just trying to help you not sound so ignorant.
I don't appreciate being called a liar, I don't insult other people based on their occupation.
You live in so cal, feel free to come see me and I'll show you the invoice in person. It's about 2% based on invoice (not MSRP) which is about 750-760.
Contrary to your misinformed comments, It makes no difference to me what the dealer makes in holdback, anything below $500+invoice is a flat fee for me.

So anyone looking to get a new TL...
Come see me I know what I'm talking about, and I got the cars.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Cruisin'

I paid $1500 over invoice for my new TL. The dealer was shocked that I had all my information concerning pricing, invoice etc. I told him what I would pay and pulled out my checkbook. Fast and simple. I know that as soon as they start talking, they start lying and trying to swindle me.
As a woman I am very accustomed to car dealers trying to treat me as a dumb blonde. That's why I do my homework!

And if you don't like being called a liar Spearsoft, I suggest you change your profession to something a little more honorable. Car dealers are not known to be trustworthy.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Advanced

And Becky, just what do you do for a living? There is nothing dishonorable about selling cars. I'm sorry that you've encountered people that have tried to "swindle" you, but maybe, just maybe its just your perception, because it seems to me you already decided before you even set foot in a dealership that those people were just mean, money-hungry, thieves.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Instructor

hi get multiple quotes from here http://www.edmunds.com/new/2009/acur...l?setzip=10987
you need to enter your zip code
now relax and wait for phone call
tell them you are getting quotes from 3 or 4 dealers because you want to compare to get the best deal
do not forget don't let them intimidate you
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Advanced

Yep, I'm a stubby 5 foot 8 mexican... I can be real intimidating over the phone ;-)
Old 01-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Cruisin'

And Becky, just what do you do for a living? There is nothing dishonorable about selling cars. I'm sorry that you've encountered people that have tried to "swindle" you, but maybe, just maybe its just your perception, because it seems to me you already decided before you even set foot in a dealership that those people were just mean, money-hungry, thieves.
I'm a national district manager in pharmaceutical sales for Pfizer. I graduated from an Ivy league university with an degree in marketing and I make a very, very good living. So excuse me...my perception is rather clear and well defined that car salesmen are slime.

And after reading your multiple posts on the forum, you show a distinct lack of maturity and tact. You argue with just about everyone here, consistently showing your arrogance and your youth.

So accept the fact that you sell cars. You are a car salesman and that no one respects or trusts a car salesman. People trust politicians more than car salesmen. And that is not saying much... You may be the one honest car salesman, and if that is the fact, I apologize. But I recommend you grow up and be a little nicer to people, especially the faceless strangers on the internet. The way you treat people on the forum mirrors reality.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Racer

Hey BeckyBoo...are ALL car sales reps liars? If you know this as fact, then I commend you as you would then know many people.

"I graduated from an Ivy league university with an degree in marketing"
Wow...I guess all pharmaceutical sales reps have bad spelling/grammer.

Be real, to say ALL car salesman are "slime" is pretty ridiculous. What you don't even realize is that it's actually "USED car salesman" that have a bad rap in consumer job title surveys, not a "car salesman".

Just because you "make a very, very good living" do you think you have a greater perspective of what a car salesman is over someone who isn't making a "very, very good living"? What is this? You went to an Ivy League school...big freakin' deal, LOL.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Are you in NE Ohio?

Originally Posted by insurman424
I now in Ohio they are knocking down 1500 under MSRP to get them moving...I traded my 07 TYPE S (factory ground effects) in for a 2009 Silver SH AWD with factory ground effects, door edge guards and cargo hooks with trunk insert. After a couple days of dealing, they gave me $30500 for my car against $44,760 on new one. Since
I had 36,000 mi on my TL I did not think I made out real bad. The dealer had 8 of the regular TL's and 2 AWD on lot with TEch Pkg and had NOT sold any to that point, this was on Nov 10th.
Insurman, are you in NE Ohio by any chance?

While I do not think that $1500 below MSRP is that great of a deal esp since they are trying to sell you a loaded vehicle with lots of options, and since they are having a tough time selling the new Acuras; but I do think that $30500 for your high mileage 07 TL-S is a good offer!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I think that all spearsoft is saying is 'treat me as an individual' and I think that's all anyone can ask. For example, I don't judge (pre-judge really) you based on your occupation. Maybe Pfizer is mis-representing the safety of Bextra and Celebrex as Merek did with Vioxx? That is pretty 'slimy' behavior and literally "life or death". Still, I don't hold that against you. This is a wacky analogy but I think you get the drift. There are good and bad in all industries.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Advanced

I can't really feel all that insulted based on your response. You basically paraphrased everything I said, and added a little condescending flavor to it, which is fine by me. I don't really hold pharmaceutical companies in high regard anyway, so to avoid being a hypocrite, I'll leave it at that.

I'm not sure where you find immaturity in defending my craft, or simply pointing out facts to other people. What is immature (and to be quite frank, annoying) is thinking that you are better than other people based on your degree or income, it simply shows that those two things, in your eyes come before character. Which is fine if it helps you sleep at night, assuming Pfizer's products don't already do that for you.

I'm quite aware that I'm a car salesman, there's nothing to accept there, I actually quite happy with it. I have tons of friends, family, and clients who trust and respect me, I don't need either of those from you or any "faceless stranger" on a forum. I would expect that someone of your... social status would understand basic things like these. I've never met you, and that's ok, I won't pretend I do, so don't pretend you know me. You don't.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Pro

Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
Advanced

And by that I am defending the case for any line of work. I make as much as some very highly educated people (or did when times where better), but I don't treat people that maybe aren't as "fortunate" any differently. I also don't treat people that are MORE "fortuante" any differently.
By the way, how long have you been working for that company, Becky? I tend to find that people who have had lots of money for a long time (and earned it) tend to be more respectful of others, as oppsed to those that have always had it. I'm not saying you're either, but I'm curious. You don't have to answer, I'm just curious, really.

The vice Mayor of the city next to us bought a car from me, and he was one of the nicest people. So politicians aren't ALL bad either.

Last edited by Spearsoft; 01-05-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by S2000 Driver

Why can't we go back to the days when every girl (and blonde too) on the forum was assailed with "heh.... post a pic.....heh heh"
Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colin
Why can't we go back to the days when every girl (and blonde too) on the forum was assailed with "heh.... post a pic.....heh heh"
+1. Nice to see how you guys treat women! But it looks like BeckyBoo can take care of herself.

So...back on topic folks
Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car salesmen are salesmen, plain and simple. I'm a salesman, though I sell investments rather than cars. I'm not slime, and I'm not a scumbag. However, if you're not comfortable with a particular investment (the one which, in my professional opinion, suits you portfolio, whether you know it or not), it's my job to MAKE you comfortable. If I don't, then I didn't do my job. I'm pretty certain that a car salesman aims to do the same thing, except he tries to make you comfortable paying what is perhaps an above average price for a car. How is that any different than me trying to sell you shares in a mutual fund with below average earnings? It's not. It's the same difference between someone in a fast food place (often viewed very negatively) vs. a waitress in a restraunt. Both of em are serving you food, aren't they? We're all the same, in that we're all different, and need to be viewed as individuals, without generalizations.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DrEvil777
+1. Nice to see how you guys treat women! But it looks like BeckyBoo can take care of herself.

So...back on topic folks
Ha! Did my "heh's heh's" sound lecherous enough to be convincing?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Colin - Very convincing!

This thread seems to have run it's course.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
Hey BeckyBoo...are ALL car sales reps liars? If you know this as fact, then I commend you as you would then know many people.

"I graduated from an Ivy league university with an degree in marketing"
Wow...I guess all pharmaceutical sales reps have bad spelling/grammer.

Be real, to say ALL car salesman are "slime" is pretty ridiculous. What you don't even realize is that it's actually "USED car salesman" that have a bad rap in consumer job title surveys, not a "car salesman".

Just because you "make a very, very good living" do you think you have a greater perspective of what a car salesman is over someone who isn't making a "very, very good living"? What is this? You went to an Ivy League school...big freakin' deal, LOL.
We all make the occasional typo, like you have made before on this forum so that's a mute point.

As to my net worth, I do very, very well and I have a degree from a very well-respected university.

I came on the forum to learn more about my car, and I learned of this forum from the service manager at the dealership where I get my Acura serviced.
I did not expect to meet some angry "trolls" who try to extoll the virtue of being a car salesman.

No offense but take your anger out on someone else and go deal with the fact that you get to sell people like me cars for a living.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BeckyBoo
No offense but take your anger out on someone else and go deal with the fact that you get to sell people like me cars for a living.
Wow, I think I'll pass on that pic now...
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BeckyBoo
We all make the occasional typo, like you have made before on this forum so that's a mute point.

As to my net worth, I do very, very well and I have a degree from a very well-respected university.
Anyone see the irony?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by hydr0
Car salesmen are salesmen, plain and simple. I'm a salesman, though I sell investments rather than cars. I'm not slime, and I'm not a scumbag. However, if you're not comfortable with a particular investment (the one which, in my professional opinion, suits you portfolio, whether you know it or not), it's my job to MAKE you comfortable. If I don't, then I didn't do my job. I'm pretty certain that a car salesman aims to do the same thing, except he tries to make you comfortable paying what is perhaps an above average price for a car. How is that any different than me trying to sell you shares in a mutual fund with below average earnings? It's not. It's the same difference between someone in a fast food place (often viewed very negatively) vs. a waitress in a restraunt. Both of em are serving you food, aren't they? We're all the same, in that we're all different, and need to be viewed as individuals, without generalizations.
Hydro Bro,

You don't work for a guy named Madoff do you? That was some pretty slimy ish. LOL...Sorry bud, I couldn't resist

Bottom line is everyone's gotta make a living; don't hate the player, hate the game!

Peace.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JD23
Anyone see the irony?
Sorry, at this stage it's a mute, I mean moot, point.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Beckyboo,
Don't take the abuse too personally, it's just the rule of the Internet.

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics...Even if you win, you're still retarded."

Welcome to the forum and may you find what you are looking for. And just "mute" out those trolls you don't want to deal with!

Me...I want navi OK button hacks.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Ok- here's the warning for the entire thread. Stop the name calling, insulting, confrontational and out of line posts. Either this thread gets back on topic really quick or people are going to get banned. There will be no further warnings.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:50 PM
7th Gear

I went to the Acura dealer in late December and the finance manager showed me the numbers used by the internet sales guy. They were offering a 2.5K discount off MSRP for the FWD and $1K for the SHAWD. He suggested another $500 could be garnered by referencing other dealerships in So Cal that were offering slightly more off.

The real key isn't so much the discount off MSRP, though that is nice... it's the availability of financing. Many of the Acura models were at 0.9% financing for the "winter event." I believe this pricing lasts until 2/2/09 and includes every acura model, except the 09' TL. The sales manager indicated he thought one vehicle would be dropped from that list - the TSX, but that it was highly unlikely the '09 TL would be put on.

If Acura could manage 2.9% APR for 3 years and $3K off MSRP for the '09 TL FWD, I think people would start to get over the design and start to empty Acura dealership lots.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
no more boost in

In NC I was able to get 4k off sticker and 2.9% (translated) money factor lease for 36 mo. on a Base SH-AWD in silver. I was happy with that and their initial offer of 3k off the price caused me to stay and really consider this car. I wasn't shopping for an Acura but had read about it and knew of its caliber. If the dealer hadn't motivated me though, I would not have bought the car.

On the right coast anyway I think you should hold out for a nice chunk off msrp and very favorable financing.

My two cents.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jadefire5457
I went to the Acura dealer in late December and the finance manager showed me the numbers used by the internet sales guy. They were offering a 2.5K discount off MSRP for the FWD and $1K for the SHAWD. He suggested another $500 could be garnered by referencing other dealerships in So Cal that were offering slightly more off.

The real key isn't so much the discount off MSRP, though that is nice... it's the availability of financing. Many of the Acura models were at 0.9% financing for the "winter event." I believe this pricing lasts until 2/2/09 and includes every acura model, except the 09' TL. The sales manager indicated he thought one vehicle would be dropped from that list - the TSX, but that it was highly unlikely the '09 TL would be put on.

If Acura could manage 2.9% APR for 3 years and $3K off MSRP for the '09 TL FWD, I think people would start to get over the design and start to empty Acura dealership lots.
I know I am waiting on the financing. I could pay cash, but I feel that a reduced rate is just around the corner and I can wait. I thought the December numbers would encourage them to start to move TL's because the dealerships around here aren't selling any.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Advanced

tlisnc that's some deal there. It's not a typo, is it? Grats on the new TL.

As to earlier posts on this thread: I'm not here to make enemies, I just respond negatively to insults. Call me crazy.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by tlinsc
In NC I was able to get 4k off sticker and 2.9% (translated) money factor lease for 36 mo. on a Base SH-AWD in silver. I was happy with that and their initial offer of 3k off the price caused me to stay and really consider this car. I wasn't shopping for an Acura but had read about it and knew of its caliber. If the dealer hadn't motivated me though, I would not have bought the car.

On the right coast anyway I think you should hold out for a nice chunk off msrp and very favorable financing.

My two cents.
What dealership in NC?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Stash
What dealership in NC?
Yeah, at that price, I might be willing to fly over and drive her home!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:09 PM
no more boost in

Originally Posted by Stash
What dealership in NC?
Stevenson Acura_Honda in Wilmington. Great folks to deal with too.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:22 AM
no more boost in

tlisnc that's some deal there. It's not a typo, is it? Grats on the new TL.
No not a typo and thanks for the grats spearsoft. Very happy with her so far.

Quick Reply: Negotiating price on TL?