My Review: WeatherTech FloorLiner Mats

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Review: WeatherTech FloorLiner Mats

Hello folks! Here is my review of the WeatherTech FloorLiner floor mats for the AWD TL (following on from my trunk tray review in separate post). As I ranted in my trunk tray review, I finally received these FloorLiners about 4 weeks after ordering them, despite the manufacturer (MacNeil Automotive) telling me that they would ship sooner and charging my credit card weeks earlier (I've never run across a retailer lately that charges BEFORE they ship). I don't know why it takes a month to get these...just beware that you too could be waiting quite a while if you order these.

Putting aside the poor customer service, let me get on with the technical review. Overall, I am pleased with the product, which does (for the most part) cover all floor surfaces and a little of the upward sides of the footwells. Here is a pic of the driver side liner (you can see the liners have already seen some action from winter sand/salt covered shoes). I like how the liner covers underneath the pedals and over the lower half of the dead pedal:

For the passenger side liner, I'm a little disappointed because it does not cover the entire hump on the left side, where someone could easily rest their filthy shoes - I wonder why they weren't able to continue the high lip from the forward part all the way back to cover that hump (saw the same problem with their trunk tray, which didn't cover the side humps of the trunk):

Finally, the rear seat liner is nice since it is all one piece, covering both sides of the compartment and the center hump on my AWD:

The liner material is nice, with a good thickness/rigidity and surface texture with ribs and channels. Overall, I am pleased with the product and feel it will provide good protection. Happy winter everyone!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
thanks!!!!....how much did these cost?

Last edited by djtanveer; 01-26-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Advanced

I got them as a complete package, including the trunk tray, for something like $250 if I recall correctly. You can check exact price at weathertech.com
Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They look pretty close to the Acura versions with a s bit more coverage on the driver's side. I like the extra coverage under the pedals.

Do they have the lock down mechanism like the Acura mats to keep them in place? Price wise they seem to be a bit more than what I paid for the Acura version ($95 shipped from Curry Acura)
Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Advanced

They don't have the lock down mechanism - just a little bump/indent so that they fit over the factory lockdown tab. I haven't noticed any issue with them sliding, probably because they are molded upwards on the key sides. Do the Acura versions have the rear mats also that fit over and cover the rear hump? My impression was that they did not, which is the key reason why I ended up trying these instead.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have the floormats. I also wasn't please that my Credit card was charged before it shipped and took a month to arrive. Their excuse was we had to have the factory produce it. If this was the case then put the lead time into description of the product. From the standpoint I was disjointed. Overall the mats do what they are supposed just wish the material was a little more rubbery. What I mean by that is that the plastic they used feels slick sometimes and your foot could slip if you have the wrong chemicals on the heel of your shoe. But nowadays the don't make mats like they used to.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have an AWD and weathertech floor liners all around. I am pleaed with the quality and function of the product and have been recommending them to everyone that I know. A great buy and worth the extra bucks and wait time in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the rear with the hump covered but the only negative I can see is on the rear mat on the outside edge. It looks like there is no lip to contain liquids. With kids going in and out during rain and snow it looks like there would be some runoff.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have these as well. I used to have the rubber ones with the deep channels but these have better coverage. A little pricey but quality and fit is second to none.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Racer

I just got same mats for my 05 TL. It also took a couple weeks to get them and charged my card when I ordered them. Maker kept telling me they only make them to order and need a couple on order before they will run the mach to make them. I'm also disappointed on the coverage on the passenger side. I now won't be able to test them for a couple weeks cause I will not be using it for a couple weeks. So far I have to wonder since these mats don't have deep ribs like the other mats they make and I have/had in other cars if water will pool in them and make a mess on my shoes and paint leg bottoms. Anyone with these notice that?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In my experience with the floor liners, the liquid tends to pool in the front portion of the front floor mats. However, I make it a point to not bring much mud/snow/whatever into the car anyway, so I never have too much fluids in the vehicle. I'm a bit ocd about my interior lol. No food, smoke, anything other than ppl inside
Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Racer

LOL I use to be labeled ocd about my car also...Till a what kinda wore me down or was the start of me not being so picky....many years ago my best friends HOT girl friend decided she had to much to drink on the way home from the bar we all just left and couldn't figure out how to open the window fast enough Well a couple day...z later she when she was normal cleaned it up...with empty promises she never kept after months of promising me after that to hook me up with one of her girl hot friends. LOL Looking back I can understand why, I was really OCD about my car/stuff and was or some may say I still am a geek and not to hansom to boot. So if a hot girl wants to let lunch go in my car now ....she has to pay the price.....up front.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Connoisseur of Aesthetics

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Takehold66
I like the rear with the hump covered but the only negative I can see is on the rear mat on the outside edge. It looks like there is no lip to contain liquids. With kids going in and out during rain and snow it looks like there would be some runoff.
You know judging by the picture in the website...there should be a lip to catch the water:

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...tChoiceIds=710

I wonder if WeatherTech floor liners are made inconsistently...

Also for the secure tabs..you can probably just make a slit..though since it's made to be hunch over..that might not work. I wanted to get a set for my rear..I like the OEM ones except for the fact that they don't cover the rear middle hump.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Advanced

I double-checked the rear mats last night and confirmed that there is a lip all the way around the mat. You should be able to see it in my photo - that 3D dark shadow around the edge is due to the lip curving upward. I can see no way for liquids to roll off the mat unless of course the entire mat fills with enough liquid to spill over the lip...or if the hot girl from a couple posts up lets her lunch go

Also, regarding the comments about the lack of interface with the lock down mechanism, I have seen no need for it so far - the mats don't slide around at all due to the tight fit and upward sloping lips against the edges of the the footwells. Also, I think if it did interface with the lock down mechanisms, there might be danger of liquids draining through that opening.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Racer

My mats use the lock tabs. I even have them installed of the OEM carpet mats with lock tabs used on both.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Nice! Love the extended coverage under the pedals. I hadn't seen any real-life pictures of these.

I tried to get a set for my GX470 but had no luck. The part they specified for the GX with DVD player (passenger footwell shape is different) did not fit - it wasn't even close. Their customer service left a lot to be desired; they were very nice, but there was no follow-through whatsoever - mind-boggling, particularly since they are advertising a product that simply does not fit right.

I do have two of their cargo trays, and they are awesome.