My 4G TL Verdict....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To Crucifer and his original comment.

We faithful Acura TL owners choose the path less travelled! Why do what everyone else is doing? I'm proud to be the only one driving around in a 4G black on black baby! At least for now... I remember being the first 1G TL owner back in 04', and that was sweet too, but not as sweet as this now!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
You also have to remember 3G price went down so a lot people are buying them...If you look at 3G section you will see new people joining more than eve...
Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wavehogger
I'm sorry Sammie but after driving my TL for 300 miles I find no evidence that the body isn't 'solid or vault-like'. In fact I will say it's just the opposite. And what parts were 'giggly'? Mine feels like its a German car, and yes I'll admit it I have owned a BMW and this TL feels just as solid.

And he was being manipulative, Acura has confirmed in print there is a 6MT coming for 2010. He wants you to buy it from him, Mr. Nieve..
Well, thanks. That's reassuring to read the interior remains tight after 300 mls. Wait, according to some yahoo in another post, you don't even own the car. What's going on? (LOL) And, yeah, sales people don't have to lie, mislead, manipulate, or just generally be morally corrupt. Come on! Oh, and to add injury to insult, he came along for the test drive.

Thanks for the reassurance about the 10' MT TL. I will wait!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:23 PM
FPR pimpin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes wait for sure, if you love manual that car is gonna be heaven on wheels if i had the flow i would definitely jump on it.. but since i dont.. hopefully I'll have when the Type-S comes out.. i get wet dreams just thinking about it
Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sammietime
Well, thanks. That's reassuring to read the interior remains tight after 300 mls. Wait, according to some yahoo in another post, you don't even own the car. What's going on? (LOL) And, yeah, sales people don't have to lie, mislead, manipulate, or just generally be morally corrupt. Come on! Oh, and to add injury to insult, he came along for the test drive.

Thanks for the reassurance about the 10' MT TL. I will wait!
Yes, wait for the 2010 if you want a manual. Acura corporate has confirmed this and your dealer is just trying to get you to buy NOW by lying to you. If you'd like, I will link a copy of the Acura press release so you can show it to your sales person.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Advanced

E90 lci ftw!

Originally Posted by sammietime
Then I see a gorgeous 3 series go by, which doesn't help. .
That's just about the most sensible sentence I've read posted to AZ since the 2G TSX/4G TL debacle! Perhaps it was the new LCI in Space Grey, which provides a nice change of pace in comparison to the original.

I wish all of the next gen Acura buyers the best with their cars, but regardless of where your loyalties may lie, based on the boards and press there is no doubt the trinity of recent introductions (RL/TL/TSX) combined with the RDX fiasco represents a setback for the brand, not to mention dealers now that the MDX is tanking as well due to the fact that SUVs are persona non grata.

If the economy does not improve and we find ourselves in a depression, it will most likely mean a death knell for Acura. The weak never survive when times get tough.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by cg2006TSX
I wish all of the next gen Acura buyers the best with their cars, but regardless of where your loyalties may lie, based on the boards and press there is no doubt the trinity of recent introductions (RL/TL/TSX) combined with the RDX fiasco represents a setback for the brand, not to mention dealers now that the MDX is tanking as well due to the fact that SUVs are persona non grata.

If the economy does not improve and we find ourselves in a depression, it will most likely mean a death knell for Acura. The weak never survive when times get tough.
Relax. It is WAY to early to discount the TL and TSX. The RL, sure, but to say that the TL and TSX is a fiasco is just plain stupid. The RDX has not met sales goals, but it is still outselling the Infiniti EX. The MDX sales have dropped, but lately, what SUV hasn't? Keep in mind that the MDX still outsells the X5, ML, FX and Q7. The RX outsells the MDX but many consider the RX below the MDX now, including the magazines that have hardly compared the two and instead choose to pit the MDX against the GX.

The TL and TSX will not fail. They may not meet sales goals, but then again who will in this economy unless you are Lexus and you set your sales goal at 5 cars and then boast about how your sales expectations have exceeded the prediction by 900%. Yet somehow they magically had enough supply to meet that demand . The economy will play the biggest role in the success of Acura's latest cars, as it will with the rest of the luxury industry.

If you want to talk about the weak not surviving when the times get tough and making a death knell, then talk about, Audi, Infiniti, Jaguar, Volvo, Saab, Lincoln, and Buick who all sell less units than Acura.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 AM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
I also live in NJ (north jersey) and i take 4 hwys to work and never seen a 4g TL yet on the road. The Market is VERY bad and all car dealerships are selling 1/2 of what they normally do so that might be a reason why..
Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

yea the 4g sucks
Old 11-22-2008, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1fsthatch
yea the 4g sucks
...you are such a clever rat.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 73 Posts
I'm retired and work part time as a school crossing guard in Suffolk Co., Long Island. This past week I have seen 5 new TL's past. So they are selling them, at least here they are.

The car has a very strong look to it compare to other cars on the road. I like the look of the new 4G. Have not seen the SH-AWD yet.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by frainc
I'm retired and work part time as a school crossing guard in Suffolk Co., Long Island. This past week I have seen 5 new TL's past. So they are selling them, at least here they are.

The car has a very strong look to it compare to other cars on the road. I like the look of the new 4G. Have not seen the SH-AWD yet.
North Shore of Long Island is affluent -- almost as much so as Fairfield County, CT.

Good sign that the 4G TL is being accepted by its target market.

Unfortunately, I have still only seen 1 on the road in these parts but this is the land of Range Rovers and other upscale 4W/AWD vehicles: Can't let bad weather prevent Skip and Muffy from getting to prep school on time!

Wonder if more TLs will appear as the SH-AWD model becomes more readily available...
Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
Wonder if more TLs will appear as the SH-AWD model becomes more readily available...
I think so. FWIW, we have not received a AWD car yet, Our first ones probably won't get here till December at the earliest. It puts a huge damper on current TL sales because I believe that there are many 'holding back' on a 2WD purchase till they can try the AWD.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:09 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
my neighbor has one
Yes, but have you seen it on the road?

I thought not.... therefore, it does not exist.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:28 AM
10th Gear

The AWD is only supposed to be a small fraction of all TLs produced. It's not like they'll be all over the place once the AWDs get delivered to dealers, so it's not possible for that to be a "huge" damper on sales.

Originally Posted by Colin
I think so. FWIW, we have not received a AWD car yet, Our first ones probably won't get here till December at the earliest. It puts a huge damper on current TL sales because I believe that there are many 'holding back' on a 2WD purchase till they can try the AWD.

Last edited by ownaccord; 11-23-2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by ownaccord
The AWD is only supposed to be a small fraction of all TLs produced. It's not like they'll be all over the place once the AWDs get delivered to dealers, so it's not possible for that to be a "huge" damper on sales.
You didn't read my post. My point was that until all the 'cards are on the table' buyers are reluctant to make a decision, even if the decision is to buy the 2WD car.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:10 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Colin
You didn't read my post. My point was that until all the 'cards are on the table' buyers are reluctant to make a decision, even if the decision is to buy the 2WD car.
What I read in your post was your usual saleperson-speak about why you're not selling more cars. As usual, none of it has to do with the car itself...
Old 11-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Honda Fanboy

Originally Posted by ownaccord
What I read in your post was your usual saleperson-speak about why you're not selling more cars. As usual, none of it has to do with the car itself...
It's hard to make sense of logic when you are an idiot.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
i think the 4g isnt that bad the only problem i have with the car is the ugly arc or creased on top of the front wheels if it wasnt for that i might have traded in for it.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
! deadmau5 !

I was going through old threads today and thought I'd revive this one.

We took delivery on our 4G Tech (Royal Blue / taupe) a couple weeks ago. Between the active time of this thread (Nov 08) and now, May 09, the combination of dealer prices, trade-in, and federal sales tax credit moved the numbers $8-10K in our favor.

Meanwhile ... Chrysler's in bankruptcy and has cut 800 dealers; GM is headed there and has already cut 1100 dealers. All those dealers are desperate to sell inventory. But you know what? Even at half price, we still wouldn't want one of them.

Acura's not getting Washington bailout money because IT DOESN'T HAVE TO. The TL is a great car (and the 4G is a much better highway ride than the 3G, though we loved the 3G once we got RE960AS on the rims.)

At 34K out-the-door for tech, you're not going to get a better deal, especially when the inventories get depleted. Right now is the sweet time for dealmaking.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jginnane
I was going through old threads today and thought I'd revive this one.

We took delivery on our 4G Tech (Royal Blue / taupe) a couple weeks ago. Between the active time of this thread (Nov 08) and now, May 09, the combination of dealer prices, trade-in, and federal sales tax credit moved the numbers $8-10K in our favor.

Meanwhile ... Chrysler's in bankruptcy and has cut 800 dealers; GM is headed there and has already cut 1100 dealers. All those dealers are desperate to sell inventory. But you know what? Even at half price, we still wouldn't want one of them.

Acura's not getting Washington bailout money because IT DOESN'T HAVE TO. The TL is a great car (and the 4G is a much better highway ride than the 3G, though we loved the 3G once we got RE960AS on the rims.)

At 34K out-the-door for tech, you're not going to get a better deal, especially when the inventories get depleted. Right now is the sweet time for dealmaking.

We have a 2009 TSX and picking up a 2009 Tl this week.
I agree, but I also think the design is starting to grow on people. It took me a while to like it.

I wonder if I can deducted the sales tax on a lease?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Crucifer
You clearly do not understand the issues of the economy or the point of this thread.
The banks are not writing loans 1. if your credit isn't perfect. 2. their not writing big loans atm.

Thus the issues were having.

But again I'm not going to explain the world around you.
Wow, that's one of the stupidest comments I've heard in quite a long time lol. I'm not even gonna humor it with a correction lol.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM
! deadmau5 !

Originally Posted by hydr0
Wow, that's one of the stupidest comments I've heard in quite a long time lol. ...
It's interesting. Only partly because the majority of comments in this thread were written in November, and back then the dealers weren't discounting at all.

Now, they ARE discounting, in fact the car we just got was sitting on their lot in November, already 60+ days old. (I understand dealers start to pay interest on "floorplan" inventory when the cars go 45+ days old.)

If you have any recognizable credit score, now is the best time to get the best deal, probably for the rest of your life. You still have to do homework -- use overstock.com, get competitive model prices at one of the American domestic companies, etc. Be prepared to shop Acura dealers against each other, or yo pick your new car up 50 miles away.

One other legacy aspect from this earlier thread is that we paid so much attention to ... "the Beak". Seriously, that's a small thing at this point. But if you assume Honda-America is going to change the front as soon as possible, that may be MORE reason to buy an 09 TL. Why? Because it says to the world -- "I Survived the Second Bush Depression!"
Old 05-22-2009, 11:31 AM
User-approved

Originally Posted by jginnane

One other legacy aspect from this earlier thread is that we paid so much attention to ... "the Beak". Seriously, that's a small thing at this point. But if you assume Honda-America is going to change the front as soon as possible, that may be MORE reason to buy an 09 TL. Why? Because it says to the world -- "I Survived the Second Bush Depression!"
Thank you, President Bush, for keeping us safe after 9/11, saving the US economy after a devastating atrocity, keeping the foaming mad-dog libs in check, out-foxing people who were supposed to be smarter and more sophisticated than you,...

... AND for the wonderful price I was able to get on my TL! And here I thought I'd have to give props to B.O. I feel much better now!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Racer

I'm glad we stay on topic around here. lol
Old 05-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Instructor

in NYC theres plenty of TL 4g, no idea what you mean
Old 05-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1fsthatch
yea the 4g sucks

You have a dizzying intellect and an obvious way with words.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:30 PM
Racer

TL Sales

Acura Announces April 2009 Sales Results
Total Acura sales for April 2009 were 8,813, down 32.3 percent compared to April 2008, with Acura year-to-date* sales totaling 33,333 units, down 33.4 percent. The all-new TL performance luxury sedan remained as Acura’s top selling model in April, a three month sales trend, with TL sales reaching 3,105 units, down 27.6 percent as compared to last year.

Maybe its the economy or maybe not.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
Crusifer...have you driven the TL yet? Better yet, have you driven the SH-AWD yet? Keep in mind, the SH-AWD just came to dealerships about 9 days ago and most dealers recieved anywhere from 3-10 units at most. In my experience, most people wanted to wait until this model came out to make their decision.

We had our "ride-and-drive" event today in Toronto. We drove the BMW 335xi and Infiniti G35x to compare against(I asked why it wasn't the G37 and they couldn't get one for the event). After absolutely kicking the snot out off these 2 cars in dynamic driving situations - hard cornering, braking, acceleration, etc, I find it pretty funny that people can even mention a 3 series or Infiniti in the same sentence. It's a joke how much better the TL SH-AWD Tech package is over it's competition, especially when comparing the cars' interior quality and comfort.

So my question is...have you driven the car yet?
Maybe the reason you didn't have a G37 there is this - from a recent back to back comparison:

Ultimately, though, the 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD couldn't claw its way back from the drubbing given to it by the sheer speed of the 2009 Infiniti G37. It doesn't hurt that the G37 really shrinks around its driver when you want it to and expands when you don't. In this respect, the G37 is the four-door sports car you always wanted, the car that lets you change and grow up without forgetting where you came from.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peters
Acura Announces April 2009 Sales Results
Total Acura sales for April 2009 were 8,813, down 32.3 percent compared to April 2008, with Acura year-to-date* sales totaling 33,333 units, down 33.4 percent. The all-new TL performance luxury sedan remained as Acura’s top selling model in April, a three month sales trend, with TL sales reaching 3,105 units, down 27.6 percent as compared to last year.

Maybe its the economy or maybe not.
It's a little of both I guess. The economy+overbite grill=fail, fail and fail. It's a good thing for 4G TL owners though. I took my car for a spin and I couldn't believe how many people checked out my ride. Usually where I live, people don't give a damn about cars, so I was surprised. But at the same time Acura dropped the ball on this one. You know some things are wrong when sales are down 32% to an OUTGOING model. Most people don't buy outgoing models because when the new model comes out they really take a extra hit on the depreciation. Bummer!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by dshahs420
But at the same time Acura dropped the ball on this one. You know some things are wrong when sales are down 32% to an OUTGOING model. Most people don't buy outgoing models because when the new model comes out they really take a extra hit on the depreciation. Bummer!
Everyone is down that much, hell Infiinti G is down almost 50%. I agree I don;t love the styling, but in the end it is not turining awy that many sales since the numbers are not off by more than anyone else in this economy. The real winner here is Hyundai. Their sales are flat or only off a few points. People are switiching to cars that give them a better value.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:05 AM
6th Gear

Ok, this is my first post, so please take it easy on me. The vehicle is also rare down here in Louisiana. It also took me a while to get used to the new look, now I smoke more cigarettes to go outside to look at it. My car slows down traffic, had a guy get out at a red light to check it out (no lie). I've seen a steady increase (maybe 1 a day) of seeing it on the road. I have WDP, and started seeing more WDP then any other color. I am the only one that I've seen so far with the aero kit (down here). Now that I'm seeing them more, I hope Ron will hurry up and ship my wheels out. As of now, the only thing I complain about is the small stock wheels (which helped me convince my wife that I needed new wheels). I'm spoiled.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
Crusifer...have you driven the TL yet? Better yet, have you driven the SH-AWD yet? Keep in mind, the SH-AWD just came to dealerships about 9 days ago and most dealers recieved anywhere from 3-10 units at most. In my experience, most people wanted to wait until this model came out to make their decision.

We had our "ride-and-drive" event today in Toronto. We drove the BMW 335xi and Infiniti G35x to compare against(I asked why it wasn't the G37 and they couldn't get one for the event). After absolutely kicking the snot out off these 2 cars in dynamic driving situations - hard cornering, braking, acceleration, etc, I find it pretty funny that people can even mention a 3 series or Infiniti in the same sentence. It's a joke how much better the TL SH-AWD Tech package is over it's competition, especially when comparing the cars' interior quality and comfort.

So my question is...have you driven the car yet?
So the drivers of the TL, "kicked th snot out of the BMW 335xi"? That might be a little exaggerated no?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by misterbiggz
now I smoke more cigarettes to go outside to look at it.
I guess its safe to say that the 2009 TL can be hazardous to your health.

Originally Posted by KeithL
Everyone is down that much, hell Infiinti G is down almost 50%. I agree I don;t love the styling, but in the end it is not turining awy that many sales since the numbers are not off by more than anyone else in this economy. The real winner here is Hyundai. Their sales are flat or only off a few points. People are switiching to cars that give them a better value.
Keith, yeah I agree. Heck Toyota known for its bullet proof reliability had to borrow money too but my point is that when people know that a certain make and model is going to be redesigned for the following year, they usually wait and buy the year after when the new model comes out. This is the small part but the economy no doubt has a lot more to do with it. If the economy was booming, I still think they would be behind in sales seeing how popular the 3G is. Lot of people now do their research online before going to the dealership. For some reason the TL does not look great in pictures because the grill sticks out like a black eye. I was all set to buy another Lexus until I decided to just stop at an Acura dealer and one look and drive, I was hooked like a crack whore to a crack pipe.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:40 PM
My beer fridge is in

Talking

The first rock is free. Then you pay!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 PM
RJ1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen 3 in Ottawa so far..
Old 05-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Racer

Saw a white one today in Toronto

That is one butt ugly car. Never going to buy one. Never.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

What are you doing in the 4G forum, get lost! So easy to hate, and so hard to congratulate, what a pity.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by dshahs420
For some reason the TL does not look great in pictures because the grill sticks out like a black eye. I was all set to buy another Lexus until I decided to just stop at an Acura dealer and one look and drive, I was hooked like a crack whore to a crack pipe.
To me it still doesn't look much better in person, but it grew on me, still don't love the styling, still prefer my 3G styling or evena G37 look, but the AWD TL ride is addictive as you said..
Old 05-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bmode
What are you doing in the 4G forum, get lost! So easy to hate, and so hard to congratulate, what a pity.
I've been a long time Acura owner and I looked forward to this car like many other 3G TL owners. It has nothing to do with "hate" per se, its just my view, like others expressed here, that a great car company missed the mark with its styling.