My 4G TL Verdict....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 4G TL Verdict....

Ladies and Gentleman,

I felt like writing a little verdict on the 4G TL...I live in NJ one of the most populated and highly driven states on the East Coast.

Since the Nissan GT-R was released approx around the same time as the 4G TL I can say I have seen a GT-R before I have seen a 4G.

I have seen 3 ferrari 430's since the release of the 4G TL.

I have seen 1 Lambo and 1 Lambo Kit car since the 4G TL release.

I have even seen 2 toyota supras since the 4G TL release.

The one car I haven't seen driving around from Freehold NJ -> Metuchen NJ daily on major highways.....

The 4G TL.

Verdict: Acura killed the TL.

There's days I can't not pass 50-60 3G TL's on the road but its been months now...and still not 1 4G TL has passed me. I've seen a freaking GT-R....and I can prove it:

This is a sad day. I have to take my 3G TL into service at my dealer and I'm going to ask them how bad sales have plummited I feel really bad...it can't be good...

hell you know it can't be good when dealers are trying their best to alter the appearance of the vehicle with custom paint jobs to get rid of the fake chrome look.

=/
Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 AM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dealerships by me can't keep a stock of the SHAWD TLs
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Racer

Well you Chicago guys have water issues :P

1. it blurs your vision on cars
2. it makes your woman extremely hot.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:13 PM
zaino'd

Are you talking smack about my TL too??
Old 11-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Racer

Is it a 4G if so yes.

If its a 3G then that just means you don't drink the water :P
Old 11-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Sǝxy Timǝ in my

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I only drive on the weekends about 20-30 miles and I have seen 4G TL twice...I couldn't believe how beautiful it looked from the back...stood out from other cars...
Old 11-18-2008, 12:29 PM
zaino'd

I haven't seen a 4G by me yet... but thats probably because I live in the suburbs of Chicago.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Maybe you just have bad timing. I saw one not far from you, on route 1, in Edison. I was on my way to the new Walmart Saturday. It was my third on the road spotting. I must say that I hate the rear more than the front. That chrome piece really ruins it for me.

I still want one though. I'm just waiting for them to make some sort of deal on them. Be sure and post what your dealer says. My 04 is getting a bit old, but I can wait.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
It took me a few months to see a 3g when they first came out also and live in Southern California. That doesn't mean anything.

It doesn't matter how good the TL is. In this economy, it is impossible to sell a car.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:00 PM
zaino'd

Appearance wise I'm still not a fan but from all the feedback from the SHAWD model, I'm tempted to test drive
Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM
Racer

Why buy another TL that will have no after market support when you could buy an Evo X or STi for the same price with a much funner aftermarket.

Better yet get a last year model BMW 3series or Infinite.

Theres no way for the cost of the 09 TL I'd choose it over the cars its put itself in the price range of.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crucifer
Ladies and Gentleman,

I felt like writing a little verdict on the 4G TL...I live in NJ one of the most populated and highly driven states on the East Coast.

Since the Nissan GT-R was released approx around the same time as the 4G TL I can say I have seen a GT-R before I have seen a 4G.

The one car I haven't seen driving around from Freehold NJ -> Metuchen NJ daily on major highways.....

The 4G TL.

There's days I can't not pass 50-60 3G TL's on the road but its been months now...and still not 1 4G TL has passed me. I've seen a freaking GT-R....and I can prove it:

This is a sad day. I have to take my 3G TL into service at my dealer and I'm going to ask them how bad sales have plummited I feel really bad...it can't be good...

hell you know it can't be good when dealers are trying their best to alter the appearance of the vehicle with custom paint jobs to get rid of the fake chrome look.

=/

Your "verdict?!" Please, get a life and stay off the 4G boards...we have enough troll garbage around here for you to start adding more. ......and I don't want to hear anymore, "I rather have a G......or a BMW.....or _______(fill in the blank)"........we know you hate the 4G, so go buy whatever tickles your fancy and leave us 4G owners alone.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Racer

Whoa Pete...lol you realize I was like the first person to provide pictures/reviews of the 4G right. I'm an acura fan i'm just not surprised by the lack of anyone buying them.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda Fanboy

Whoa Pete...lol you realize I was like the first person to provide pictures/reviews of the 4G right. I'm an acura fan i'm just not surprised by the lack of anyone buying them.
Just because you have not seen any doesn't mean that nobody is buying them. The SH-AWD model has only been on sale for less than two weeks and the FWD model for less than two months. I'm not even sure if all dealers have a full stock of the SH-AWD model yet. Your dismissing a car that has not even had production fully ramped up yet that has been on sale for less than two months simply because you have not seen one on the road yet. Thats about as scientific of a test as it gets.

You can also get a Mustang GT for the price of a TL, so what? There are a lot of cars for the price of the TL that you can get. You could have gotten a EVO or Sti also for the price you paid for your FWD 3g TL. Not everyone, including you, cares about flat-out balls-to-the-wall performance when you get to the TL's price range. If they do, then they can wait for the 2010 TL which smoked two 335's and a G35 on a track.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry, Crucifer....didn't mean to go off on you like that (havin a bad day at work). You're entitled to your opinion and comments just like eveyone else.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
Just because you have not seen any doesn't mean that nobody is buying them. The SH-AWD model has only been on sale for less than two weeks and the FWD model for less than two months. I'm not even sure if all dealers have a full stock of the SH-AWD model yet. Your dismissing a car that has not even had production fully ramped up yet that has been on sale for less than two months simply because you have not seen one on the road yet. Thats about as scientific of a test as it gets.

You can also get a Mustang GT for the price of a TL, so what? There are a lot of cars for the price of the TL that you can get. You could have gotten a EVO or Sti also for the price you paid for your FWD 3g TL. Not everyone, including you, cares about flat-out balls-to-the-wall performance when you get to the TL's price range. If they do, then they can wait for the 2010 TL which smoked two 335's and a G35 on a track.

Thus I put the GT-R in the thread above which has been out about the same ammount of time costs tons more...and in this economy is a shocker he was able to get it.

The point is you are talking about TL's theres absolutely a bazillion people driving a 3G TL and I can't tell you how many i see a day because i lose track counting...to not see one of those 3G's convert to a 4G just shows that something is wrong...you are supposed to want to upgrade to a new year....it seems like no one wants to around here...and being as big of a state that NJ is thats not good.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i think the new 4G stands out; me like! plus, a little custom work from our fellow aziners and she'll be hotter than the 3G! haha
Old 11-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Honda Fanboy

Thus I put the GT-R in the thread above which has been out about the same ammount of time costs tons more...and in this economy is a shocker he was able to get it.

The point is you are talking about TL's theres absolutely a bazillion people driving a 3G TL and I can't tell you how many i see a day because i lose track counting...to not see one of those 3G's convert to a 4G just shows that something is wrong...you are supposed to want to upgrade to a new year....it seems like no one wants to around here...and being as big of a state that NJ is thats not good.
GT-R's are in stock at So Cal dealerships. Whats so shocking about someone being able to get one?

The 3G TL has been on sale for over FIIIIIIVEEE years. How can you realistically compare the number of 3G's you see on the road with the 4G which has not even been on sale for two months?

Of course everyone WANTS to upgrade to the latest and greatest thing. However, not everyone CAN. The economy sucks and the middle-class (the group of people that buy cars in the TL's class) are getting hammered. Your missing the fact that nobody is buying cars right now even if they want to.

Lets say I want to replace my 2008 Ferrari for a 2009 Ferrari but I can't afford it. Just because you see me still driving my 2008 Ferrari, does that mean I don't want the 2009?

Answer this for me honestly. Do you seriously believe that just because you have not seen a car on the road that has only been in production for about 1.5 months (not even full production at that) which to most people would be considered a luxury car (and therefore an unnecessary expenditure) in an economy that is constantly being compared to the Great Depression, it is a failure? Seriously, really think about this one. Think loooong and haaaard.

P.S.
Look down, you can get your EVO for 0% financing.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Needs wheels

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't seen a 4G on the street in ATL yet either...
Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Racer

GT-R's are in stock at So Cal dealerships. Whats so shocking about someone being able to get one?

The 3G TL has been on sale for over FIIIIIIVEEE years. How can you realistically compare the number of 3G's you see on the road with the 4G which has not even been on sale for two months?

Of course everyone WANTS to upgrade to the latest and greatest thing. However, not everyone CAN. The economy sucks and the middle-class (the group of people that buy cars in the TL's class) are getting hammered. Your missing the fact that nobody is buying cars right now even if they want to.

Lets say I want to replace my 2008 Ferrari for a 2009 Ferrari but I can't afford it. Just because you see me still driving my 2008 Ferrari, does that mean I don't want the 2009?

Answer this for me honestly. Do you seriously believe that just because you have not seen a car on the road that has only been in production for about 1.5 months (not even full production at that) which to most people would be considered a luxury car (and therefore an unnecessary expenditure) in an economy that is constantly being compared to the Great Depression, it is a failure? Seriously, really think about this one. Think loooong and haaaard.

P.S.
You sir answered your own question.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Honda Fanboy

You sir answered your own question.
I already know the answer, it is you that I am worried about. Clearly, your lack of a response actually answered the question for you well enough though.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Racer

The point is its amazing to see someone able to afford and drive a GT-R before anyone is able to afford/want to drive/and driving the #2 most driven luxury sport in the nation.

You don't seem to be getting the point of this topic =/
Old 11-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Honda Fanboy

The point is its amazing to see someone able to afford and drive a GT-R before anyone is able to afford/want to drive/and driving the #2 most driven luxury sport in the nation.

You don't seem to be getting the point of this topic =/
Since when is an $80,000+ car something that is easily available to the middle-class? Everyone with the slightest amount of knowledge knows that the upper-class is usually the least affected by economic downturns.

That aside, feel free to answer my question when your up to it. Your just digging your self a deeper and deeper hole.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Racer

You clearly do not understand the issues of the economy or the point of this thread.

The banks are not writing loans 1. if your credit isn't perfect. 2. their not writing big loans atm.

Thus the issues were having.

But again I'm not going to explain the world around you.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by muadib
Maybe you just have bad timing. I saw one not far from you, on route 1, in Edison. I was on my way to the new Walmart Saturday. It was my third on the road spotting. I must say that I hate the rear more than the front. That chrome piece really ruins it for me.

I still want one though. I'm just waiting for them to make some sort of deal on them. Be sure and post what your dealer says. My 04 is getting a bit old, but I can wait.
wait a bit... i'm tinkering with the rear of mine and it's looking real nice without spending much money. and that silver strip is still there in tact (btw, not chrome at all in person). i'll post some pictures soon.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda Fanboy

You clearly do not understand the issues of the economy or the point of this thread.

The banks are not writing loans 1. if your credit isn't perfect. 2. their not writing big loans atm.

Thus the issues were having.

But again I'm not going to explain the world around you.
Riiiiight... I don't understand the economy yet you are the one lumping TL buyers in the same class as GT-R buyers.

So what you are saying is that banks are not giving loans and thats an issue were having when it comes to car buying? Is that what you are saying? Because if so, that goes along with the ECONOMY having an affect on consumer purchasing. Not to mention that consumer confidence is at a record low.

I don't want you to explain YOUR view of the world around me because according to you that world involves you not seeing any 4G TL's 1.5 months after the release, thus leaving us with a failed TL.

Your clear avoidance of my question says a lot.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Attention***Attention***Attention

All who haven't seen the 4G TL please fill out the information below and I will be there to ensure you see one on the road and PROVE to you that they are selling...:0).

state/country
local hwy/interstate
date time you will be on hwy

LOL
Old 11-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
There are plenty of ugly cars out there on the road. The fact that there aren't many 4G TLs out there as of yet is probably not entirely because of esthetics. Come to think of it, the 4G doesn't look that bad.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm here in the SF bay area and I still have not seen a 4G yet. I really do want to see it though because I want to make a judgement in person and not through pictures. I am actually making an effort to spot one while I drive but no luck. I've mistaken a new TSX one time and also a few Lexus GS. LOL. OOOH snap! It's the new TL ----- awwww sh1t it's the Lexus GS again!!! arghh!!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:54 PM
zaino'd

Damn SebringSilver, nice stable!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Ladies and Gentleman,

The 4G TL.

=/
I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions that Acura killed the TL. Your argument is causal, ie because you don't see any 4G TL then it must be because TL sales are in the tank.

I recently was posted (Army) to middle of nowhere Missouri. I have seen one 3G TL and since I've been here in July. The place is filled with ugly pick up trucks and large SUVs. I recently saw a 4G TL. Based on that, my conclusions are that pick-ups and SUVs are having a banner year. In addition the 3G TL and 4G TL are terrible selling vehicles and are equally unpopular
Old 11-18-2008, 06:34 PM
! deadmau5 !

Just because you have not seen any doesn't mean that nobody is buying them. ...

You can also get a Mustang GT for the price of a TL, so what? There are a lot of cars for the price of the TL that you can get. ...
After giving a 4G a day-long test drive last week (Exit 98 down to Atlantic City and back) we're sold on this car. However ... we're still going to test drive the Infiniti first.

The key matrix for us is road liveability: how would the car do on a trip to Maine or Montreal? Along the Garden State Parkway here, everyone normally drives 85 mph (except when the radar detector says drop to 74 thru the trap . Most Parkway cruisers are heavier cars: Mercedes and Bimmers are designed for all-day cruising auf der Autobahn, for example. I might be real happy with a Honda Fit for mostly local driving, but don't need to feel like it's me 'n' my skateboard alone against Big Bear Mountain.

What prompted my urge to reply is today's headlines about the auto bailout. So I clicked on the Chrysler, Ford, and GMC websites. Wow ... they don't have ANYTHING I've wanted in a long time -- and yes, I still have a Yukon in my driveway. (Detroit still thinks it's the 1950's.)
Old 11-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Haven't seen one on the street either. The hump over the wheel well in the front KILLS the car.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

Acura wants the "hey look at me I don't blend in " look. This ugly grill thing will go the way of Chris Bangle's styling on BMWs.....away to a toned down version, just wait and see.
The rear or the car is very nice so it is an easy fix...or where is the aftermarket??

No matter what, it looks better than that bland looking Infiniti G35.

QR
Old 11-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jmkiang
Appearance wise I'm still not a fan but from all the feedback from the SHAWD model, I'm tempted to test drive
I test drove an AWD version today. I'm holding out for the 10' MT car if it gets built...my dealer reported Acura most likely will not green light it. Although he also said Acura would need to develop a specialized manual to handle the new 3.7l engine. Sorry buddy, they've already done that. He was probably being manipulative like so many are. Anyway, the TL felt very fast, but a little disconnected. I think the MT would help in this regard. Ride was firmer than I expected and the body did not feel solid or vault-like: some giggly parts on the inside. Although ride was firm, it wasn't too rough. It felt sporty and confidence inspiring. Steering was very good. Interior was nice. Seats were very comfortable. Tons of room.

Oh, and dealer had a car with painted grill. He also provided different options for painting: whole grill, inside portion, outside portion, etc.

I can't make up my mind about the look. Some days I hate it, other days I think it can live with it. Then I see a gorgeous 3 series go by, which doesn't help. .
Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Cruisin'

Oh, and brakes were excellent.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sammietime
I test drove an AWD version today. I'm holding out for the 10' MT car if it gets built...my dealer reported Acura most likely will not green light it. Although he also said Acura would need to develop a specialized manual to handle the new 3.7l engine. Sorry buddy, they've already done that. He was probably being manipulative like so many are. Anyway, the TL felt very fast, but a little disconnected. I think the MT would help in this regard. Ride was firmer than I expected and the body did not feel solid or vault-like: some giggly parts on the inside. Although ride was firm, it wasn't too rough. It felt sporty and confidence inspiring. Steering was very good. Interior was nice. Seats were very comfortable. Tons of room.

Oh, and dealer had a car with painted grill. He also provided different options for painting: whole grill, inside portion, outside portion, etc.

I can't make up my mind about the look. Some days I hate it, other days I think it can live with it. Then I see a gorgeous 3 series go by, which doesn't help. .
I'm sorry Sammie but after driving my TL for 300 miles I find no evidence that the body isn't 'solid or vault-like'. In fact I will say it's just the opposite. And what parts were 'giggly'? Mine feels like its a German car, and yes I'll admit it I have owned a BMW and this TL feels just as solid.

And he was being manipulative, Acura has confirmed in print there is a 6MT coming for 2010. He wants you to buy it from him, Mr. Nieve..
Old 11-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.S.
Have not seen a 4g on the road either. The 3g when it cameout I saw a ton of them the first month. Don't know if that means anything but i've seen 8 gtr's in south florida so far. I see the same one almost everyday. but the economy has some say in this as well as some people are turned off by it too.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
my neighbor has one
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 PM
Racer

Crusifer...have you driven the TL yet? Better yet, have you driven the SH-AWD yet? Keep in mind, the SH-AWD just came to dealerships about 9 days ago and most dealers recieved anywhere from 3-10 units at most. In my experience, most people wanted to wait until this model came out to make their decision.

We had our "ride-and-drive" event today in Toronto. We drove the BMW 335xi and Infiniti G35x to compare against(I asked why it wasn't the G37 and they couldn't get one for the event). After absolutely kicking the snot out off these 2 cars in dynamic driving situations - hard cornering, braking, acceleration, etc, I find it pretty funny that people can even mention a 3 series or Infiniti in the same sentence. It's a joke how much better the TL SH-AWD Tech package is over it's competition, especially when comparing the cars' interior quality and comfort.

So my question is...have you driven the car yet?