I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
May Sales Numbers...TL Continues Its Dominance Over The G

May sales show:

Total Sales '08-'09 Change
TL 3375 -18.4%
G 2885 -30.1%
A4 3448 -29.1%
Maxima 6,082 +86.0% (holy crap, who wouldda thunk)
Old 06-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Actually I like the new Maxima, just not the price tag, a loaded Maxima price is in G37 and TL territory. The only bad news for the TL is with these sales numbers it looks like the beak is here to stay!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Actually I like the new Maxima, just not the price tag, a loaded Maxima price is in G37 and TL territory. The only bad news for the TL is with these sales numbers it looks like the beak is here to stay!
Surely you jest!

Even if the interior wasn't cheaper than crap (it is), and the engine wasn't deafening when accelerating (it is), there would still be the deal breaker of all deal breakers with the Maxima...the awful beyond words CVT tranny. It feels like the engine is linked to the wheels with a loose rubber band.

UGHHHHHHHHH
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm kind of confused as to why the Maxima sold so well. Actually, I don't see why anyone would buy the Maxima over the G37, especially considering that the price gap is not large when the two are equipped similarly.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by JD23
I'm kind of confused as to why the Maxima sold so well. Actually, I don't see why anyone would buy the Maxima over the G37, especially considering that the price gap is not large when the two are equipped similarly.
I would imagine that the Maxima is significantly roomier than a G. For the majority of buyers, this is important since in the US, the majority still equate size with value. Also, it is a competitor to the Camry and Accord and (arguably) has a bit more 'personality' so this might help it's numbers. What were Accord and Camry sales for comparison?

Edit: Found the Accord numbers: 22,597. Maxima doesn't look so good now..... LOL
Old 06-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
May sales show:

TL 3375 -18.4%
G 2885 -30.1%
A4 3448 -29.1%

how does this compare to last months #s?
Old 06-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Colin
I would imagine that the Maxima is significantly roomier than a G. For the majority of buyers, this is important since in the US, the majority still equate size with value. Also, it is a competitor to the Camry and Accord and (arguably) has a bit more 'personality' so this might help it's numbers. What were Accord and Camry sales for comparison?

Edit: Found the Accord numbers: 22,597. Maxima doesn't look so good now..... LOL
I was thinking that the Altima was considered the true competitor with the Accord and Camry. I was particularly surprised that the Maxima had an 86% increase over May of 08. I know it's a new model, but no other new models have had a similar sales increase.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Suzuka Master

I was thinking that the Altima was considered the true competitor with the Accord and Camry. I was particularly surprised that the Maxima had an 86% increase over May of 08. I know it's a new model, but no other new models have had a similar sales increase.
True, I guess that makes the Maxima an odd bird. Maybe it's like an expensive VW or a Toyota Avalon?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

The Maxima with its FWD provides more cabin space than a G. Also Maxima buyers tend to be loyal fanatics.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Surely you jest!

Even if the interior wasn't cheaper than crap (it is), and the engine wasn't deafening when accelerating (it is), there would still be the deal breaker of all deal breakers with the Maxima...the awful beyond words CVT tranny. It feels like the engine is linked to the wheels with a loose rubber band.

UGHHHHHHHHH
To each their own, Nissan is in front with CVT, they really have got it nailed.
And while I love my 4G TL AWD, the throttle lag due to getting this beast moving and the lack of more than 5 gears is nothing to brag about either. Nissan V7 loves to rev and get up and go.
Have you driven the new Maxima? It is no TL but it is a decent ride. I actually am do not think the Maxima and G interiors are as cheap as they are more simple. Clearly over 6K people liked the car
Old 06-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Clearly over 6K people liked the car
Probably pent up demand since they ARE a loyal bunch and the last one was pretty damn ugly
Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The new maxima looks good in white. I've been seeing many of them on the road recently, but didn't expect such high sales numbers.
I think maxima is an odd ball, sort of in a class of its own. If you had to compare, I think it fits in with the likes of toyota avalon and hyundai azera? They're totally different cars aimed at different people, but pricewise and positionswise. They are higher than regular sedans but not in a premium brand lineup. Just my thought.
Anyway does G sales include the coupe also? or just the sedan?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Probably pent up demand since they ARE a loyal bunch and the last one was pretty damn ugly
Probably like when the 5G TL comes out.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:21 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
To each their own, Nissan is in front with CVT, they really have got it nailed.
And while I love my 4G TL AWD, the throttle lag due to getting this beast moving and the lack of more than 5 gears is nothing to brag about either. Nissan V7 loves to rev and get up and go.
Have you driven the new Maxima? It is no TL but it is a decent ride. I actually am do not think the Maxima and G interiors are as cheap as they are more simple. Clearly over 6K people liked the car
You mean V6??
Old 06-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Incentives

Maximas currently have $1,250 Cash-to-Customer incentive in addition to a $1,000 incentive to people coming off of a current Nissan lease.

Perhaps w/ the economy the way it is, people are gravitating towards more inexpensive premium cars like this & the TSX. It is interesting that the Maxima far outsold the Genesis.

I have seen a couple of new Maximas on the road & I like the tail lights ... front ones, not so much.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

Maxima vs Acura TL,
Acura TL hands down is better.

Maxima is for sure a nice car, but not in the same league as an Acura TL.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Maxima starts at $31K and ends up at $38K. Nissan called it sport sedan. and it is actually smaller than Altima.
It is faster,, more refined and handles better than FWD TL which it is competing against.

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/maxima...testdrive.html
Old 06-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I didn't see the number for ES so here it is 4,125

G and ES were out many years ago. TL new design just out and I would expect its sale higher.
What do you think how many TL will be sold 3 years later? I would say far less than G and ES now in last May.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
SSFTSX, you are forgetting about the V6 TSX that is only days away. The price ranges are just about the same on both the TSX and the Maxima and dimensions are very similar, near identical. The FWD TL is officially a base mid sized now and in fact is more refined than the Maxima and is just as capable of a sports sedan, as is the TSX now.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Intermediate

The Altima is more an Accord competitor...the Maxima falls in a different tier...

I think you can probably bunch up all the FWD platform cars in that <35K range together...
  • Audi A4 (FWD)
  • Acura TSX
  • Nissan Maxima
  • VW Passat
  • VW CC
  • Saab 9-3
  • Volvo S60
  • Lincoln MKZ
  • Ford Taurus (2010)

On a totally different note, more so than the Maxima's number, it's the Mercedes totals which have really been surprising...

C-Class: 5008
E-Class: 1978

Even the newly introduced GLK sold 2598, which is kinda surprising given how overpriced it is...

Last edited by Baapo; 06-04-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
SSFTSX, you are forgetting about the V6 TSX that is only days away. The price ranges are just about the same on both the TSX and the Maxima and dimensions are very similar, near identical. The FWD TL is officially a base mid sized now and in fact is more refined than the Maxima and is just as capable of a sports sedan, as is the TSX now.
I havent looked at 2010 TSX electronics but Maxima offers HDD navigation, Smart key, Rear vented brakes, Rear vents for A/C, Rear doors window one touch, 19inch rims, Led tail lights, rear spoiler, dual panel moon roof (One of the best), UV reducing solar glass, rear window shade, memory for outside mirrors & Steering (TSX is only seating). cooled driver seat, curb weight of only 3550 lbs due to extensive aluminium use. More interior room and more extensive leather.
(Euro Accord has some of the features)
When you add all those features to TSX. its price will be much more than Maxima and its weight already exceed Maxima.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
The Maxima is a nice ride. I really like what Nissan has done with it but at 38k, between a similarly equipped Maxima and a G, I'm buying a G; better warranty, more power, RWD and better looks (subjective), and an available 6MT.

Moreover, at 38k, I would buy a TL over a similarly equipped Maxima as well.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:35 PM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i recently test drove the Maxima before i bought my TL SH-AWD. It was my second favorite car. But i didn't like the transmission. Can't get over the CVT. Loved the cooled seat. But even though it is 400 lbs lighter than the TL it felt bigger and heavier. It also didn't feel nearly as quick. Also living up in the northeast, i wanted something with AWD. But it was a very nice car. Much bigger than the G, the G is too small for a family.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

May sales show:

TL 3375 -18.4%
G 2885 -30.1%
A4 3448 -29.1%
G 37 combined coupe & sedan 3865
Old 06-04-2009, 11:44 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
I havent looked at 2010 TSX electronics but Maxima offers HDD navigation, Smart key, Rear vented brakes, Rear vents for A/C, Rear doors window one touch, 19inch rims, Led tail lights, rear spoiler, dual panel moon roof (One of the best), UV reducing solar glass, rear window shade, memory for outside mirrors & Steering (TSX is only seating). cooled driver seat, curb weight of only 3550 lbs due to extensive aluminium use. More interior room and more extensive leather.
(Euro Accord has some of the features)
When you add all those features to TSX. its price will be much more than Maxima and its weight already exceed Maxima.
Looking at that Edmunds article you posted earlier, the tested Maxima is at $37xxx. TSX V6 Tech is also at $37xxx, and with PDI and freight, it's at $38xxx. TSX V6 Tech is the top of the line TSX, you can't go above it unless you buy some accessories like body kit. With that said, I don't think a $1k premium is much more...my definition of much more is like 20% difference. Other than that, not too sure what else the TSX will offer though.

ALso, the curb weight of the Maxima as shown in your link is 3579, with a as-tested weight (I'd imagine that's after including the packages) is over 3600lb. Currently, the TSX 5AT 4-cyl with tech package is 3486lb. Looking at honda.com, the weight difference between an Accord EXL AT and an Accord EXL V6 AT is 167lb (3433lb vs 3600lb). Keep in mind though, the V6 model more features. Thus in reality, the weight difference between the V6 and I4 is less than 167lb. Perhaps the TSX V6 tech will be 150lb heavier than the TSX I4 V6? If that's the case, that would make it a slightly more than 3600lb, which is really in the same ball park as the maxima. It's the difference between a bigger driver and a smaller driver - not a big difference.

As far as performance goes, we will need to wait for more test results. If you want to, I'd imagine you can use the numbers for a 3G TL-S 5AT, since it's similar in size, power, and weight to the TSX V6. In the racing & competition forum, you will find timeslips of the 3G TL-S 5AT doing 14.3s@97mph (the driver is one of the moderators here and it was his first time drag racing, meaning it could have been faster if he had more experience), that's real track number, not magazine number, and that's slightly faster than a Maxima.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:36 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
Looking at that Edmunds article you posted earlier, the tested Maxima is at $37xxx. TSX V6 Tech is also at $37xxx, and with PDI and freight, it's at $38xxx. TSX V6 Tech is the top of the line TSX, you can't go above it unless you buy some accessories like body kit. With that said, I don't think a $1k premium is much more...my definition of much more is like 20% difference. Other than that, not too sure what else the TSX will offer though.

ALso, the curb weight of the Maxima as shown in your link is 3579, with a as-tested weight (I'd imagine that's after including the packages) is over 3600lb. Currently, the TSX 5AT 4-cyl with tech package is 3486lb. Looking at honda.com, the weight difference between an Accord EXL AT and an Accord EXL V6 AT is 167lb (3433lb vs 3600lb). Keep in mind though, the V6 model more features. Thus in reality, the weight difference between the V6 and I4 is less than 167lb. Perhaps the TSX V6 tech will be 150lb heavier than the TSX I4 V6? If that's the case, that would make it a slightly more than 3600lb, which is really in the same ball park as the maxima. It's the difference between a bigger driver and a smaller driver - not a big difference.

As far as performance goes, we will need to wait for more test results. If you want to, I'd imagine you can use the numbers for a 3G TL-S 5AT, since it's similar in size, power, and weight to the TSX V6. In the racing & competition forum, you will find timeslips of the 3G TL-S 5AT doing 14.3s@97mph (the driver is one of the moderators here and it was his first time drag racing, meaning it could have been faster if he had more experience), that's real track number, not magazine number, and that's slightly faster than a Maxima.
How dare you introduce sense and logic!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by iforyou
Tested price does not mean maximum configure price with all options. Maxima offers more options. There is already EuroAccord Type S. That is the top of the line car. Acura should just bring that copy cat just like Acura RL/Honda legend..
Surely it is not difference. u have taken into account Bigger Wheels/tires/brakes/revised suspension of V6 TSX. why do u think EuroAccord Type S is heaver than Euro GT despite being the same engine. Maxima is 190 inch car with longer wheel base and is still very light weight for the amount of electronics.
TSX would likely be faster from 100 to 130 mile dash but any thing under 100mph it will be practical tie. Magazines are more consistent.
under six seconds will be very difficult with auto transmission for TSX.

http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...a_sv_road_test
This is a peppy performer, sprinting to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds, continuing on to finish the quarter in 14.5 seconds at 98 mph
Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Ditto!! Last Maxima was one fugly car, make my 09 TL look way better!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ditto!! Last Maxima was one fugly car, make my 09 TL look way better!
Every time I see one of those prev. gen. Maximas with those infamous "Mohawk" sunroofs, I almost have to hurl.......that has to be, hands-down, one of the worst ideas ever applied to an automobile!
Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Every time I see one of those prev. gen. Maximas with those infamous "Mohawk" sunroofs,
Funny, I think of a "landing strip"
Old 06-06-2009, 03:18 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Tested price does not mean maximum configure price with all options. Maxima offers more options. There is already EuroAccord Type S. That is the top of the line car. Acura should just bring that copy cat just like Acura RL/Honda legend..

Surely it is not difference. u have taken into account Bigger Wheels/tires/brakes/revised suspension of V6 TSX. why do u think EuroAccord Type S is heaver than Euro GT despite being the same engine. Maxima is 190 inch car with longer wheel base and is still very light weight for the amount of electronics.

TSX would likely be faster from 100 to 130 mile dash but any thing under 100mph it will be practical tie. Magazines are more consistent.
under six seconds will be very difficult with auto transmission for TSX.

http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...a_sv_road_test
This is a peppy performer, sprinting to 60 mph in 5.8 seconds, continuing on to finish the quarter in 14.5 seconds at 98 mph
The weight of the TSX V6 is out, 3650lb, that's within 50lb of the maxima, like I said, that's the difference between a big guy and a small guy. The TSX has lots of electronics too, I mean, you should know better than me, you have one yourself! Why did you get TSX and not Maxima anyways? By the way, the TL with even more electronics, and an even bigger size, is around 50lb heavier than the TSX. The TL uses more lightweight parts compared to the TSX.

If there's no time slip, I'd go with mag numbers too. But for the TL-S 5AT, I have yet to seen it being tested in any mag, so I would just go with the timeslip. Heck, it isn't even the best time since the driver was new. So, from a new driver, without correcting times/mph like most mags do, the TL-S 5AT pulled a 14.3@97mph. I won't be surprised to see better times if the driver was more experienced.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:19 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
How dare you introduce sense and logic!
oppppppppppps