Lots of water under the doors

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Lots of water under the doors

Hi,

I've had a 2014 TL for almost 3 months. When I wash the car, I get a lot of water under the doors (I'm not sure if this also happens when it rains). The water is not just on the lower part of the frame (closer to the outside), but also up a level, closer to the door sill (where the long silver Acura sill plate is). At least it does not get all the way into the interior of the car.

There are two gaskets -- a higher one on the body of the car and a lower one on the door. I guess neither would keep water from the lower part of the frame, but the one on the door should keep water from the sill plate. I did not see anything obviously wrong with the gaskets, and it would be pretty strange if they were faulty on all 4 doors.

There was more water than I expected on the lower part of the frame, but I guess this does not cause any problem (though water does not accumulate there in our 2013 RDX). But it does seem like it could be a problem on the door sill, where there is that silver Acura name plate and a plastic border around it. I have a lot of water under that plastic border, which is not easy to get out. It does not seem like a good idea to have water sitting there, under a plastic piece. Couldn't this lead to problems with rust at some point, or at least mildew?

Do others have this same water problem?

Thanks,

Gregg
Old 08-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
I see this too when I wash mine. I've owned it over 4 years with no issue (other than having to run the microfiber over it when drying the car). Don't sweat it.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Racer

OK, thanks for letting me know that it's not just my TL. It seems odd that this does not happen on our RDX. I know the two must differ in many ways, though I would think some of the designs are similar. On the RDX, however, not only is there no water on the upper level where the Acura sill plate is, but there's not even much of any water on the lower level. In contrast, the upper level on the TL has a little water and the lower level has a lot of water.

Oh well, as you say, I shouldn't sweat it. I just wanted to check and see whether my TL was the same as others.

Thanks,

Gregg
Old 08-24-2014, 09:34 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I have the same thing with my 3G. I notice the rubber seals on my car don't protect the door sill so it's perfectly understandable having a little water accumulate there. I have never studied the 4g in this regard but would be shocked if there is a rubber seal on the outer seal or lower door edge.

What I do is use the paper towels used in cleaning the windows to wipe off the door seals and clean the gunk that accumulates there.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
The water down there could be from the sunroof. There are two holes, each one either side of the sun roof that drain the water out to the front mud guards. Similar at the rear end of the headliner, but not easy to get to them. If these pipes are blocked or broken then that its trouble. To test, open sun roof, slowly empty a bottle of water and see if water comes out from the bottom of the front mud guards. If not, use some air pressure down the holes at the edge of the sun roof (gas station maybe tyre pressure thing) to unblock and repeat the water test. If you still see no water coming out that means its disconnected or broken somewhere resulting in water spilling all over the place.

Just a thought based on past experiences with other cars.

Water in these areas is kinda dangerous. First because of all the electronics hidden behind the panels (i.e. multiplex, fuses, etc) and second because of some side air bag triggers sitting right behind that door sill.

Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
liquidneon (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Tonyware
The water down there could be from the sunroof. There are two holes, each one either side of the sun roof that drain the water out to the front mud guards. Similar at the rear end of the headliner, but not easy to get to them. If these pipes are blocked or broken then that its trouble. To test, open sun roof, slowly empty a bottle of water and see if water comes out from the bottom of the front mud guards. If not, use some air pressure down the holes at the edge of the sun roof (gas station maybe tyre pressure thing) to unblock and repeat the water test. If you still see no water coming out that means its disconnected or broken somewhere resulting in water spilling all over the place.

Just a thought based on past experiences with other cars.

Water in these areas is kinda dangerous. First because of all the electronics hidden behind the panels (i.e. multiplex, fuses, etc) and second because of some side air bag triggers sitting right behind that door sill.

Hope that helps.
great advice - I had a similar experience/issue with my 03 Accord... water accumulated INSIDE... and I did have various electrical damage.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tonyware
Thanks for your response. Let me make sure I understand what you are saying.

I have NOT noticed any water on the interior of the car, by which I mean inside the car after the door is closed. The place I found water was on what I'm calling the door sill, which can only be seen after the door is opened. The water was under the colored plastic border that surrounds the long silver Acura plate.

Are you saying that there are electronics beneath this plate and/or plastic? Or are you talking about other panels?

Thanks,

Gregg
Old 08-25-2014, 04:19 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

^ not far from that shill, closer to the right-most edge of the door frame you have the trigger for the side air bag behind the plastic. If water was on or under that plastic border that surrounds the long silver "Acura" plate then maybe it has spilled under it.

Maybe the water from a clogged or broken sun roof drain finds its way under the door and on that shill, or maybe the water comes directly from the door drain itself or the rubber around the door is out of position etc etc.

Water leaks are almost impossible to diagnose unless there is a history of the same thing happening in all model/makes.

Hope that helps.

PS. It may be a good idea to lift the edge of the carpets and feel if there is any water underneath them too. Also if you can get under the car check those rubber shield they have under the car on the frame itself.

Last edited by Tonyware; 08-25-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:28 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Originally Posted by liquidneon
great advice - I had a similar experience/issue with my 03 Accord... water accumulated INSIDE... and I did have various electrical damage.
Same story here with an 03 v6 coupe... after 8 years the front carpet was soaked in water one spring. Turns out the entire sun roof drain system was clogged after years of dirt slowly accumulating inside. So all winter water was frozen in there causing the plastic pipe to crack. Also, some rubber shield on the drain holes at the bottom of the frame were damaged from road salt...

(not using automated car washes at below -0 oC any more!

PS. A lady I know who owns an older 5-series BMW was asked to pay at the dealership over $2k to have her sun roof replaced ... but all she had to do is to clean those water drain pipes! So, don't forget that water damage inside the car is also a good way for stealerships to take you to the cleaners.

Last edited by Tonyware; 08-25-2014 at 04:31 PM.