Lost 2012 Acura TL Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:49 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost 2012 Acura TL Key

After coming back from a Hockey game one night I noticed the next morning my key to my 2012 Acura TL was gone and no where to be found. I had Acura roadside open the door to my car after searching my apartment and did not find it in the car or in the apartment. This raised several questions:

1) Can you drive the car without the key If I dropped it at the game and drove away from the key?

2) When the Roadside assistant opened the door and the alarm was going off the dash said press break and ignition to start much like it does when I am in the car with the key. Does this mean the key is in the car or nearby or does it say this regardless?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
1. Yes
2. Wow, no key needed? That's BS

Have you looked between the driver's seat and center console? Or (in the dreaded Black Hole) under the passenger seat?
The following users liked this post:
NCMD (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 09:09 AM
8th Gear

Thanks for replying. Would the car beep If I drove away without the Key? Also it said press break and push button but when I did nothing happened. So Im wondering if it says this always or if the key is nearby. And if it is nearby why didnt the doors just open when I tired them?
Old 10-15-2013, 09:22 AM
8th Gear

I also looked around, but the dealer I just called said you cannot lock the wireless key in the car. So I guess that means it is not in the car?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NCMD
After coming back from a Hockey game one night I noticed the next morning my key to my 2012 Acura TL was gone and no where to be found. I had Acura roadside open the door to my car after searching my apartment and did not find it in the car or in the apartment. This raised several questions:

1) Can you drive the car without the key If I dropped it at the game and drove away from the key?

2) When the Roadside assistant opened the door and the alarm was going off the dash said press break and ignition to start much like it does when I am in the car with the key. Does this mean the key is in the car or nearby or does it say this regardless?
2) I've tested this before (however I have a 6MT) and it only tells me I can start the car *when* I have the key with me. Perhaps somebody with an auto can confirm? If it's the same with the auto, that means your key is nearby.

Maybe check your trunk?
NCMD (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 10:28 AM
8th Gear

I called a dealer near me (I am trying all avenues before I just give in and spend 250 to reprogram the car) and he said he went to a car to test out what I asked him and the autos all said the same thing when you open the door. It must just be a programmed response when the door opens.

I have come to the conclusion I dropped it at my apt and someone now has it. You can drive it without the key but he said it will beep which it did not. I also must have locked it when I got home since the doors where locked which further supports me having the key at that time. Since it is not in my apt as far as my one day through search has gone it must be lost in the grass for good or someone has it.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
stop looking!
it'll show up when you're not looking for it.
truth.
Blaze9 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 10:31 AM
8th Gear

Also in regards to the trunk/inside car location of the key. The dealers said that the car will not lock if the key is in the car since it is the wireless start key (2012 Acura TL Technology Package). The trunk will also not lock if the key is inside according to them. Not sure if this is the case since I have had many responses from many people but it makes sense.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
stop looking!
it'll show up when you're not looking for it.
truth.
I know it will but I have to go to work and cannot keep riding with co-workers. They keep different hours then I do so it is inconvenient.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:36 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
The car will warn you that the key is not in proximity. I was dropping my wife off and drove off for about 10 meters and a warning shows up in MID screen. Also, I have tested locking the car using switch on door, drop the key in car somewhere and close the door, and it will not lock. My son loves demoing the key in truck trick. You need to have Tech Package (keyless) start option on you TL.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I know it will but I have to go to work and cannot keep riding with co-workers. They keep different hours then I do so it is inconvenient.
so, the 4th gen only comes with one key!?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:42 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
so, the 4th gen only comes with one key!?
I believe it came with two, but I lost Driver 1 (this thread) and Driver 2 was misplaced by my family so currently I have no keys.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by echodigital
The car will warn you that the key is not in proximity. I was dropping my wife off and drove off for about 10 meters and a warning shows up in MID screen. Also, I have tested locking the car using switch on door, drop the key in car somewhere and close the door, and it will not lock. My son loves demoing the key in truck trick. You need to have Tech Package (keyless) start option on you TL.
I have the Tech package and that is exactly what the dealer said as well. So if the key was near the door would open (which it does not). And the trunk would not close? So the key is not near the car then.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry for your loss. Seems like you have trouble keeping your keys. Looks like you're gonna have to shell out the bread for new keys and reprogram the car. Sucks. Expensive lesson.......Be more mindful of your keys!! This happened to me. Now I developed the habit of NEVER taking the key out of my pocket until I get home. I then put it on the hook near the door. My spare key is in a box in a safe and unforgettable place.
The following 2 users liked this post by QB175:
a35tl (10-22-2013), goodhugh (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

May be a little late of a response but. By the sounds of what you typed up. Looks like you may have lost your key after you exited the car after you got home. Here are some insights that may help you.

1:The car can not be started if the keys/remote were not in the car when you attempt to start it. Not to mention not being able to open the door if the keys/remote were not close to the car to start with.
2: If the key/remote was dropped outside after start up and driving away. Your MID should have been blinking like a mad man tell you key/remote not detected. Hard not to notice it but your car will remain running till it has been shut down but can not be restarted without remote/key in range afterwards.
3: Car doors can not be locked via external handle button if keys are in the car/trunk. It however can be locked via internal door switches if I recall.

Hope this helps some and stop losing your keys
Old 10-23-2013, 07:08 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
The following just happened to me yesterday.
My wife thought she had lost the driver 2 key fob but apparently, it slipped out of her pockets and fill in between the seat and the center console and here are couple of things....

1. I was still able to lock the car while in possession of driver 1 key fob via the external handle button and thru the driver 1 key fob.
2. I was told by the SA that while they can disable the lost key for the ignition, the lost key fob can still open the doors.
3. Even with driver 2 key fob inside the car, if you open the doors with driver 1 key fob, and start the ignitiion, the MID will display DRIVER 1.
4. SA told me that the key fob does not have to be inside the car to start the car. If the key fob is in around 30ft range, it can still start the car.