4G TL (2009-2014)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interesting conversation with my dealler about grill...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Interesting conversation with my dealler about grill...

So I was in for oil change talking to my sale person (I have bought so many cars they I know most of the staffs) and they were telling me how Acura is surveying some dealers about the impact the 4G design, specifically the grill, is having on customers. They told me they unamiusly told Acus the grill needs to go. I thought it was interesting, the sales people told me it is the biggest complaint they get about the car that turn peopls off that come into the show room. I found it interesting. While the car is not as polarizing to me as it once was I really do prefer the 3G overall style better, but the 4G is such a superior machine. I wonder if they are making the V6 TSX so close to TL price to prvent it from cannabalizing TL sales?? Sure the TL has more features and size, but if a buyer wants a V6 luxry class car and can't take the TL looks why not milk them for as much as you can get?
Old 08-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope Acura changes the grille on the 4th generation. Nothing against anyone who has a 4th gen, but for me the grille is a deal breaker, I simply would not buy the car with that grille.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:26 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
That indeed is funny as I was talking to my friend yesterday about the same thing, he just picked up an SH 4G himself, his exact remarks were the same as the dealership staff i.e. the car itself is so good that it makes you forget about the grille. I expect an updated grille very soon as all these complaints about the grille will eventually/hopefully make Acura change it.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JnC
That indeed is funny as I was talking to my friend yesterday about the same thing, he just picked up an SH 4G himself, his exact remarks were the same as the dealership staff i.e. the car itself is so good that it makes you forget about the grille. I expect an updated grille very soon as all these complaints about the grille will eventually/hopefully make Acura change it.
That is why I bought it, I hated the grill but the car road so damn good and was so refined, and that is what the dealer tells me they just ask customers to try it before making a judgement, but there will be those that won't even go to the dealer knowing what the grill looks like. I doubt 2010 will see a change, but I guess either the 11 or MMC will.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
That is the one major gripe I have with the Japanese cars, especially Honda/Acura is that they radically change their designs from generation to generation. The Germans have proven adept at just refining the lines but the car still remains unmistakably a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. The last three generations of the TL look nothing alike.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:21 AM
Instructor

Obv as everyone on here knows the grill is brand/model wide at this point. Look at the ZDX pics they brandish the grill as if there is no negative consumer response. I cant imagine them abandoning it entirely although I can definitely see an alteration incoming.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4G Express
Obv as everyone on here knows the grill is brand/model wide at this point. Look at the ZDX pics they brandish the grill as if there is no negative consumer response. I cant imagine them abandoning it entirely although I can definitely see an alteration incoming.

If you look at the upcoming ZDX, they refined the grill so that it actually looks pretty tasteful....much better than the 4G's. I really think that the ZDX grill will eventually show up on the 2011 TL.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAB00
That is the one major gripe I have with the Japanese cars, especially Honda/Acura is that they radically change their designs from generation to generation. The Germans have proven adept at just refining the lines but the car still remains unmistakably a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi. The last three generations of the TL look nothing alike.
This is so true, from the coupe all the way to the sedans. Some vehicles still keep their shapes but the TL and Accord wow, those don't look simliar at all. Which if they kept the lines similiar it would probably not makes the cars look so old after a couple of years
Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Pro

Did the dealer mention anything about the chrome strip on the trunk? I've always thought that the strip was completely unnecessary and made the car look too much like a Saturn Aura.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
While the other models' grills are similar, I really dont like them since they have the high shine chrome finish. As big as the TL's grill is, the polished finish makes all the difference and I still prefer it over the TSX grill for example.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Racer

I agree 100%.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
So I was in for oil change talking to my sale person (I have bought so many cars they I know most of the staffs) and they were telling me how Acura is surveying some dealers about the impact the 4G design, specifically the grill, is having on customers. They told me they unamiusly told Acus the grill needs to go. I thought it was interesting, the sales people told me it is the biggest complaint they get about the car that turn peopls off that come into the show room. I found it interesting. While the car is not as polarizing to me as it once was I really do prefer the 3G overall style better, but the 4G is such a superior machine. I wonder if they are making the V6 TSX so close to TL price to prvent it from cannabalizing TL sales?? Sure the TL has more features and size, but if a buyer wants a V6 luxry class car and can't take the TL looks why not milk them for as much as you can get?
It is nice when you go into the dealership and almost everyone recognises you by name. I have dealt with the same dealership for almost 9 years and have become friends with many of the staff. We keep in touch via email, phone and facebook. From the owner, sales & service managers, service advisors, salespeople, techs, finance dept, etc) They also told me the same thing about the grill. I am planning on buying a 2010 TL/tech with 6MT in March/April 2010. My 06 tsx has almost 90,000 problem free miles-love it. I do not lease and pay off the car loan way ahead of time.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 08-21-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
If you look at the upcoming ZDX, they refined the grill so that it actually looks pretty tasteful....much better than the 4G's. I really think that the ZDX grill will eventually show up on the 2011 TL.
How are you getting that this is more tasteful than the TL grill? It look identical to the TL grill to me.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Instructor

^ Look how much lower the TL's grille comes down pass the level of the headlights vs the ZDX. In the TL its like screw the headlight we are going as far down as possible like 2-3 inches. The ZDX is maybe and inch below the headlights
Old 08-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I don't think there is a problem with the design or the entire grill theme, it's just the top portion of the grill on the TL that makes it a little too pronounced. It's almost the same looking grill on the TSX just minus the hood portion. Most don't see a problem in real life, viewed in 3D, but on 1D photos, maybe. There are already some really good looking custom modifications, aftermarket grills and overlays available. If Acura offers a temporary alternative it will likely be something along those lines until MMC. So in regards to that, someone not considering this car becuase of the grill is an injustice to one's self and the brand. I really feel that most people don't mind it just that they don't want the negative criticism that comes with it and fail to realize the amount of positives that outweigh that.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-21-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I don't think there is a problem with the design or the entire grill theme, it's just the top portion of the grill on the TL that makes it a little too pronounced. It's almost the same looking grill on the TSX just minus the hood portion. Most don't see a problem in real life, viewed in 3D, but on 1D photos, maybe. There are already some really good looking custom modifications, aftermarket grills and overlays available. If Acura offers a temporary alternative it will likely be something along those lines until MMC. So in regards to that, someone not considering this car becuase of the grill is an injustice to one's self and the brand. I really feel that most people don't mind it just that they don't want the negative criticism that comes with it and fail to realize the amount of positives that outweigh that.
+1. And what criticism? All I get is great comments everywhere I go...and they come from people with financial means to buy a car like a TL not some late teens punk who prefer an EVO because it's «so much more hardcore». Yeah....go ahead little champ...I'm looking foward to see that kid's face in the obituaries next morning...
Old 08-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
That's correct, it's mostly only perception based self criticism but in reality all 4G owners are getting many compliments. I am all for it, could give a rats ass what anyone else thinks. Maybe only my opinion but I just like to think they know no better.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-21-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JD23
Did the dealer mention anything about the chrome strip on the trunk? I've always thought that the strip was completely unnecessary and made the car look too much like a Saturn Aura.
They said the survey was all about the grill, I told them the strip on the trunk is not as offensive to me, but I don't care for it. The material/plastic they use is a bitch to keep clean and free from water spots.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KeithL
Even a change as subtle as this would offer a dramatically improved look IMHO; saw this PS during the early days of the 4G; not sure who the creator was...

Old 08-22-2009, 02:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts
^^ That was one of my renditions

I think the strip that encroaches onto the hood has been one of the elements that turn the 4G design into a negative factor (for many, not all). It's the same reason the '09+ RL is ungainly but the TSX is not.

As for the 2010 RDX, MDX, and ZDX, they're SUVs/Crossovers and have the size to pull it off. I don't care for the RDX redesign, but I think the 2010 MDX and ZDX are attractive. Just because a Chevy Silverado has a popular "face", doesn't mean you should slap a Silverado grille on a Malibu. It may work on the larger utility vehicles, but the sedans need something more mainstream.

I agree the 4G TL is a dynamically superior vehicle, but you 4G owners shouldn't have had to "look beyond" the styling to fall in love.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

I totally disagree wit this 100%, I think when they radically change a model, the previous model stays a little fresher.

For instance, Infiniti updated their G just slightly by rounding out some corners, it immediately made the previous model look old. All the boxy BMW's looked old right away when the new ones come out.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
^^ That was one of my renditions

I think the strip that encroaches onto the hood has been one of the elements that turn the 4G design into a negative factor (for many, not all). It's the same reason the '09+ RL is ungainly but the TSX is not.

As for the 2010 RDX, MDX, and ZDX, they're SUVs/Crossovers and have the size to pull it off. I don't care for the RDX redesign, but I think the 2010 MDX and ZDX are attractive. Just because a Chevy Silverado has a popular "face", doesn't mean you should slap a Silverado grille on a Malibu. It may work on the larger utility vehicles, but the sedans need something more mainstream.

I agree the 4G TL is a dynamically superior vehicle, but you 4G owners shouldn't have had to "look beyond" the styling to fall in love.
Yes, I think the killer on the TL grill is how it wraps over the natural hood line. I never had a problem with the "shield" concept. It looks fine on the new MDX and ZDX photos, so maybe they've gotten the message and will tone it down going forward.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:40 AM
'02 TL S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The front grill killed the deal for me. I am waiting to see what options develop within the 5 year plan for this model….or I gottta go elsewhere.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

The grill going into the hood & the acres of plastic under the slit head lights are turn offs for me along with the whole rear treatment.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Initially when the car first came out, I thought the grill was too much, but now I've progressed from "don't mind it" to actually liking it.

It's part of the "edge" that this design has. I was in the dealer a week ago and someone was in there asking if the dealer could remove the grille paint and get it back to the stock look, interestingly enough!

I've gotten nothing but compliments on my TL... I wonder how many people had themselves convinced they'd not like the grille before seeing the car, just from all the bad PR out there about it... the mind is powerful, eh?!?!
Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by YetiTL
+1. And what criticism? All I get is great comments everywhere I go...and they come from people with financial means to buy a car like a TL not some late teens punk who prefer an EVO because it's «so much more hardcore». Yeah....go ahead little champ...I'm looking foward to see that kid's face in the obituaries next morning...
Guess Honda is just wasting its money surveying all its dealers on such a beloved styling theme as the 4G grill. Its interesting that those who's livelihoods depend on selling these cars said "they unanimously told Acura the grill needs to go". Hey but what do they know all they need to do is come to AcuraZine to find out all is well.

Its also interesting how well received the RonJon Grill has been, must be a lot of guys here who don't drink Kool Aid

EDIT BTW didn't you post this about the RonJon grill?

"Indeed! If they would have done something like this, most criticism about the styling wouldn't even exist and the TL would be more attractive to a lot of ppl. Why didn't Acura hired you in the first place?

With the emblem, it's truly awesome!"

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 08-22-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:29 AM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's what you call, design language, Germans have came out over the years with design language identity so, customer can identify their product...

something Apple has done pretty well in the computer industry... OS user interface feel, and iPod interface....

Japanese definitely needs to learn about that...
Old 08-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Acura needs to check with Azine on what the consumers like and don't like. This is a pretty big community! Have them browse the site and ask some questions, I'm sure we can help
Old 08-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by georgegiorgio
that's what you call, design language, Germans have came out over the years with design language identity so, customer can identify their product...

something Apple has done pretty well in the computer industry... OS user interface feel, and iPod interface....

Japanese definitely needs to learn about that...
They have obviously learned it with the unmistakable design notes. If they keep them around this generation and the next will confirm what you are saying.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Guess Honda is just wasting its money surveying all its dealers on such a beloved styling theme as the 4G grill. Its interesting that those who's livelihoods depend on selling these cars said "they unanimously told Acura the grill needs to go". Hey but what do they know all they need to do is come to AcuraZine to find out all is well.

Its also interesting how well received the RonJon Grill has been, must be a lot of guys here who don't drink Kool Aid

EDIT BTW didn't you post this about the RonJon grill?

"Indeed! If they would have done something like this, most criticism about the styling wouldn't even exist and the TL would be more attractive to a lot of ppl. Why didn't Acura hired you in the first place?

With the emblem, it's truly awesome!"
Well I don't see the problem with my 2 posts. All I was stating is that I only got great comments but I am only a minuscule fraction of TL buyers. Of course the grille has been subject to much criticism, anybody who din't read that all over the net is either blind or just misinformed. I, for one, love the grille but I'm in the minoity and I'm aware of this fact. Honda/Acura should play close attention to its dealers as they are their ears and eyes. The fact the grille brought so much criticism is a clear sign that something is wrong and that your new design isn't to the taste to the majority of people.

It also happens that I love Ronjon work and I really think his grille with the Acura emblem would have been much more to the taste of most people.

When I wrote «what criticism?» I realted to my particular situation not the whole TL fuss over the grille. Don't worry bear, I don't live in an Igloo, cut-off from the rest of the world. I know the whole grille story as anyone here on Azine...

Have a good day!
-YetiTL
Old 08-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by YetiTL
Well I don't see the problem with my 2 posts. All I was stating is that I only got great comments but I am only a minuscule fraction of TL buyers. Of course the grille has been subject to much criticism, anybody who din't read that all over the net is either blind or just misinformed. I, for one, love the grille but I'm in the minoity and I'm aware of this fact. Honda/Acura should play close attention to its dealers as they are their ears and eyes. The fact the grille brought so much criticism is a clear sign that something is wrong and that your new design isn't to the taste to the majority of people.

It also happens that I love Ronjon work and I really think his grille with the Acura emblem would have been much more to the taste of most people.

When I wrote «what criticism?» I realted to my particular situation not the whole TL fuss over the grille. Don't worry bear, I don't live in an Igloo, cut-off from the rest of the world. I know the whole grille story as anyone here on Azine...

Have a good day!
-YetiTL
Thanks for an honest candid statement!
Old 08-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jjsC5
Thanks for an honest candid statement!
Thanks a lot! I don't want another debate on the grille subject or derail the thread. Afterall, that's what PM are for!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I grille is a deal breaker. It reminds me of a Parrot

Honda Acura was a little to happy with the chrome on the back

I actually love the rest of the car. I'm not willing another penny on another car with the exception of window tent pass the what the car come equipped with from the factory. (Nothing against the great work of "Ronjon" which done a good job at cleaning up honda's mess)

I'm not so forgiving. I didn't buy the Pontiac G8 because it doesnt have the NAV. The Genesis Coupe is on my S*list until the NAV is available which should be in the dealers within a matter of weeks.

Lets hope that American Honda listens to the customers.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,395 Likes on 700 Posts
Talking Le Bra

I personally do not have much of a problem w/ the Power Plenum grill other than the blade is too large on the TL. There is a SH-AWD version that parks in my lot @ work & they got the full nose mask; interestingly, the bra pretty much covers the whole grill:
It should be noted that on the 2009 RL & TSX version, the bras do not cover that much:
Perhaps the TL's blade finish needs the extra protection or maybe it is a sign that Acura knows that they have to revise the grill as the TL came out last of the 3. However, they are slapping it on the 2010 MDX & RDX so who knows ...

On a side note, yesterday I was out & saw a 2009 TL in a parking lot across the street ... we were several hundred yards apart but I still could recognize the Power Plenum. Love it or hate it, it definitely raises Acura's visibility which was a common complaint I have heard in past years.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:57 PM
8th Gear

I love my 2004 TL, but will wait for an update to the giant beak grill, or begin looking at BMW, Infiniti, Lexus or Mercedes.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Olu
Instructor

Originally Posted by Baapo
Type34 I was just sitting down to try and photoshop this type of modification on pictures of my TL. This IMHO would be my favorite option. I like the beak, but like many others feel that the encroachment on the hood is a bit over the top. I like the RJ grille but feel that it some how neuters the distinctive look of the TL.

1st person to come up with a good way to make the stock grille look like this, gets my $$$
Old 08-24-2009, 01:06 AM
Intermediate

[...the encroachment on the hood is a bit over the top....[/quote]

That's exactly the problem.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
So did you get a TL or a TSX?

Even a change as subtle as this would offer a dramatically improved look IMHO; saw this PS during the early days of the 4G; not sure who the creator was...

Last edited by dtc5; 08-24-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,916 Likes on 14,458 Posts
The dealership near me says they added a painted grill as an option now. This was listed at 45K...JEEZ. I was getting my car checked out for something (3G) but thought you'd all appreciate seeing the option with it painted. Much improved if you ask me.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 PM
Racer

^^^ No way I would pay additional money for an "option" to correct an Acura design team snafu.

Quick Reply: Interesting conversation with my dealler about grill...