Insideline Tests the TL SH-AWD 6MT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I just read through this thread and it is certainly interesting to hear everyone's widely varying viewpoints and opinions! I guess all I can add from my perspective is that everything is relative, based on personal desires and qualities...hence the world has many different automotive manufacturers and models that cater to all the varying personal tastes out there. Person A may associate quality with an interior that is more 'luxurious' without much plastic...while Person B may associate quality with a car that can run autobahn speeds on a daily basis...while Person C associates quality with a car that can carry 5 kids in the back in peace and comfort (soccer mom)...or Person D, who associates quality with being completely isolated from the road (grandma)...and so on.

For myself, I found the qualities I was looking for in the TL 6MT...ie: I needed a good winter season/snow/bad weather vehicle with a 6-speed, AWD and a decent amount of power and fun factor, all at a price point that was reasonable to me.

Since this thread mentions the A4 and 3-series, the key reasons why those cars didn't meet my personal needs were that I found the A4 lacking a bit in power with its 4 cylinder platform and didn't feel like spending another $10K or so for an equipped S4. With the 3-series, I actually didn't like the interior at all (I realize I'm probably in the minority of the greater population, finding the interior stark and bland compared to the TL) and again, I didn't want to spend another $10K for the X-drive and packages required to get the TL type features.

So, for myself and my personal needs and tastes, quality came in the form of the TL 6MT. And compared to my summer vehicle, the TL is extremely luxurious in comparison! (you ain't seen nothin for plastics or hard surfaces until you've taken a ride in my Lotus Elise!) In the summer, I become Person E, who associates quality with a vehicle that can navigate hairpin/switchback curves at insane speeds with ease...hence my biannual visits to the Dragon for the last 10 years
Old 02-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Nice!