Impressions - a bit of a lengthy read

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressions - a bit of a lengthy read

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but have to share anyways - and yeah, people have probably already done similar write-ups, but I just spent the last hour searching threads about a silly interior light issue on my car, so I'm too tired to search more right now.

So today I was supposed to test drive a Genesis after making an appointment earlier in the week, but the dealership was treating the sales-lead as if I was asking to buy an Accent, so I told them to forget it. After that failed, I booked an appointment to test a G37x. Got there and decided to do an about-face and talk numbers prior to driving. You know how when you were a kid, you were hungry and you asked your mom what's for dinner and she told you and it was something you didn't like and suddenly you weren't hungry anymore? That feeling came back to me clear as day after talking to the sales-guy. Got a few interesting lessons for my personal knowledge out of it, but it totally killed my "month of test drives" plan. Stupid reality check

Not to be defeated, I drove to the BMW dealership to check out a used 328xi they had - I think it started to feel like a junkie needing a fix: I HAD to get my test-drive! It wasn't the 6MT model, so I looked at the 330 instead with the 6MT. Car was just returned, so it wasn't cleaned. Again, we go through the numbers, which this time reflects a little closer to what I expected, but then I thought about what I would be giving up in terms of in-car electronics (on my TL) just for the thrill of a 6MT car. I'm a geek, I love tech toys, and since I've started modding the TL, it's been a much more fun car, just working on it. Plus, huge support on this forum to find info...

Walked out of the BMW dealership without any drives and figured the Acura dealership is nearby, why not? Took the TSX tech for a spin - they did not have a manual model for demo, which I wanted to experience, so I had to go with the auto, which I admitted to the sales-guy, shifted quite smoothly, dare I say better than my 3G TL. Came back to the lot and I backed into a spot to park. Have to admit, my aftermarket backup camera mod puts that OEM camera on the TSX to shame, so right away I was like "No way". Audio is much better though, so I'll give that one credit. We go back inside and talk a bit and I ask to see the navi on the 09 TL. He comes back with the key for an SH-AWD model with tech pkg and we check it out. First off, absolutely AMAZING quality. I see why everyone praises the navi on this car, when compared to what was offered before. It's like going from a tube TV to HD. I joked that the voice now sounds like she's half-asleep.. talks slightly slower. Then I asked the sales-guy if I could take it for a spin. He didn't mind, so off we go (did I mention that I never once touched the key?). He's impressed that I know the voice-commands and actually use it, claims even some of the sales-guys don't know it (scary that they're selling that car and don't know about one of the best features). After turning out of the dealership, I gas it. The car has crazy pickup. The ride feels (can I say this?) German-good, compared to the TSX that I just got out of, and even my car. I'm happy the sport-shift now stays in first gear instead of jumping to second. I ask it to find the nearest Acura dealer; she responds in 2 seconds. I try to find a restaurant downtown, based on the Zagat rating; she plots a course in less that 10 seconds. My jaw is on the floor now. It's really fast! We check out the audio, try the HDD option. Blown away! The quality is crystal clear. This car is crazy!

Ok, I said all that to say this: I admit to being one of the many who criticized this car because of the design. Standing in the dealership looking at it, it didn't seem so bad. Sitting in one of the showroom models again after sitting in the TSX, it felt closer to my car in terms of visibility, general familiarity (size perception/edges of the car) and comfort. But getting in and driving it and actually experiencing the car made me realize that I didn't care about the shield on the front (with my driving habits, you'd probably only see the shield for a brief moment in your rear view before you see the tail) or the shape of the trunk (for which my argument about it being unacceptably small still stands). What this car has is the goodies where it matters: performance, handling, electronics. She may be the ugly step-sister, but this girl can dance like you wouldn't believe! Now the 6MT-SH-AWD model, I'm hedging my bets that beast is going to be off the charts when it arrives!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tigger - good summary. For a techie - this car is a blast. Putting MP3s on a flash drive (or iPod), using voice commands, leaving my cell phone in my pocket, and not pulling out a key are a few of the things that may seem trivial but all add to the overall experience. As I posted elsewhere, the cornering of the AWD can be fun - allowing me to push the car through turns instead of slowing down.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:36 AM
My beer fridge is in

+1, i agree with all of it. The looks grow on you too after seeing it everyday. I came fro a WRX and actually like the handling on the SH-AWD TL better!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Pro

I'm just curious what happened at the Infiniti dealer. Given the economy, cars aren't exactly flying off the lot.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JD23
I'm just curious what happened at the Infiniti dealer. Given the economy, cars aren't exactly flying off the lot.
I don't want to answer for the OP but I can tell you my impression of the Infiniti dealer in Manhasset, Long Island. The word, "slime" comes to mind. Guys in way-too-bright shirts with gaudy pinky rings and gold necklaces speaking Brooklyn-ese. The sales pitch generally went something like, "What do I have to do to put you in a car today?" Lots of the obligatory "I'll have to check that out with my manager" crap. Whatever the opposite is of "class" these guys pretty much have it nailed.

I felt cleaner walking out of an illegal gambling parlor than I did walking out of this dump.

If they have any intentions at all of selling a "near luxury" or "full luxury" vehicle, they better upgrade their abysmal dealership experience.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Olu
Instructor

tigger76 your experience with the TL is similar to mine. I really had my heart set on the G37x, but after researching the TL-AWD I thought it might be a better fit. I was definitly a grille hater when the 1st pictures of the TL were released. After seeing it in real life learned to accepted it. After driving the car.....grille, what grille?

Sorry about your experiences in the other dealership. The dealers I went to (Acura, Infinity, Audi, VW, Lexus), were all pretty good. I never expect the salesman to know more about the car then I do and usually a few minutes after talking, they stop trying to talk nonsense about competitors. I would say me least favorite experience this time would be from Lexus dealership .
Old 06-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Advanced

We talked figures first. Bear in mind that I was not actually looking to purchase the car, I was there purely to test it and get an idea of how it compares to other models in terms of features, handling and comfort (just for my personal experience). The sales-guy was reasonable and professional (up to the condescending "we don't do that, BMW does that" when I said something about the mileage for a lease). I think he sensed my hesitation after we worked out the numbers, and even though we prefaced the discussion with "Let's talk numbers first and then I'll test the car afterwards", he did not offer a unit for a drive, so I left.

I think it worked out for the best: if I had tested the G, I would not have ended up at the Acura dealer and would continue to have a bad impression of the 09 TL.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by tigger76
I think he sensed my hesitation after we worked out the numbers, and even though we prefaced the discussion with "Let's talk numbers first and then I'll test the car afterwards", he did not offer a unit for a drive, so I left.
I've never understood why some sales people think that consumers should be willing to spend many thousands of dollars on a car without a thorough test drive. Although the internet is a great resource, there are many things that cannot be evaluated without a test drive. For example, I have found cars that looked good on paper, but did not offer a suitable seating position, visibility or steering feel.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Advanced

I've never understood why some sales people think that consumers should be willing to spend many thousands of dollars on a car without a thorough test drive. Although the internet is a great resource, there are many things that cannot be evaluated without a test drive. For example, I have found cars that looked good on paper, but did not offer a suitable seating position, visibility or steering feel.
Agreed. And for the most part, all of this "research" will lead to me making a decision on what I'm going to replace my current car with, in the future.

One of the features which I use quite often is the voice-command option, and I've read several discussions back and forth on how the Infiniti's was stripped down in terms of some of the commands available, but some guys were saying that was just on the US model. So I wanted to experience it and see if it's something I could live with.

I'm not going to lie: on paper that car has very good specs which I'd go for. But as you rightly pointed out, there's more to a car than just what you read about and you don't want to shell out money to find out in the long run that you don't like it. Maybe I will go to another dealership and just test it without any lengthy discussion on funding, since I already know where that stands. But at this stage, the TL has my attention.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Vancouver B.C.

Received 325 Likes on 262 Posts
nice review man. I feel like going for a test drive today now haha
Old 06-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Olu
Instructor

Just curious. Why talk about numbers before you test drive the car? To me this screams of desperation. Walk in, tell them you want to test drive the car (preferably alone) walk back in after the test drive and don't even crack a smile (be friendly though). Act like you're doing them a favor, which you are if you buy the car. It's useless to get into the tit-for-tat about payments mileage etc unless you like the car.

I've always gotten good deals on cars and this is what I usually do.
-Let them know that I'm NOT buying the car today.
-Bottom line price of the car. I let them know up front that I know it's easy to go back in forth between dealerships, but it's a waste of my time and theirs...etc.
-If your finances are questionable have financing set up in advance but ask them about any financing deals they may have (Edmunds usually gives you all these numbers)
-If you are leasing get the estimated residual value at the end of your lease for the mileage you need and get the money factor number. There are lots of calculators online to see if it's really worth it to lease. General rule of thumb, if you can't write off a substantial part of your lease through your job, it's not worth it to lease unless you plan on getting a new car within 2 years. At 3 years leasing and buying are about even. At 4 years you should definitely buy. (These are based on the current economy and assuming that you can make back 4% on cash saved)
Old 06-07-2009, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You shoulda drove the G anyways... you might have found a way to make it happen.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 PM
Advanced

here's a video on car buying that i really liked
and i agree with a lot of what he says

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPor5b7JLLE
Old 06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Racer

Great review! BTW, that YouTube video is lame, lol.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 PM
My beer fridge is in

The Infiniti dealership in Hartford, CT is the same way. They also bad mouthed all their competitors, said things like the TL doesn't use a unit-body, its a frame and chassis, i couldn't believe it!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Olu
Just curious. Why talk about numbers before you test drive the car? To me this screams of desperation.
To be honest, I was trying a bit of reverse psychology and I admit that it backfired on me. I knew the routine was to talk numbers after the drive, so I was trying to get it out of the way, so that I could just bring the car back, say thanks and move on.

In any case, I had nothing to lose but some time and like I said, during the course of the discussion, I did get to learn a bit more so that it helps with future decision making (in regards to car purchases).