Impact of 2010 TSX V6 on the TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
While the SH-AWD has 25 additional horses, it also has considerable drivetrain loss due to the AWD mechanism. And it weighs about 200 pounds more than the FWD.

I've driven the 535xi and while it is fast and handles extremely well the interior is no match for the TL, the sound system is not in the same league and the navi system can't even hold a candle to the TL's.

Oh, and it costs ~$58k similarly equipped.

That $20k differential is a nice piece of change. Assuming $3/gallon gas, you could put gas in your TL essentially free of charge for 12,000 miles/year for 10 years and still have $2000 left over to go to Starbucks!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The TL is the largest premium mid sized and therefore will weigh more, especially with AWD. It suffers a bit in performance becuase of it and needs that 6AT already. Still, as is it's only a tenth or two away from the BMW. The 6MT should be a beast though. It's not a total loss at least crash tests have earned high honors probably the best in class and it's really comfortable and spacious throughout, nice big seats too. That's all mainly a product of it's size.

As far as which version is faster, it's hard to tell. The testers have had a hard time with the SH. There are a few more faster published times for the FWD but the fastest published time and highest trap still belongs to the SH for this gen TL. Short of running them side by side it may not be conclusive enough.

I agree with everything the doc said about the TL, it's dead accurate. I have shopped that segment for some time and am now leaning on the 6MT SH TL, the new E and even new upcoming 5 are sweet but I just can't seem to find how they justify charging an extra $20k, and I looked hard, very hard, more than once. Now let's get the thread back on topic.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
The TSX is built in Japan, when it comes to Canada they have to pay a big Tariff, which jacks up the price. The TL is built in Ohio? That may explain why their prices are close together.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:37 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBello
I did not read all the replies, but I will go back and do so. But I was talking with a friend about the TSX v6 tonight- actually kinda arguing lol so I wanted to share my thoughts. This reminds me of 2002 when the new alitma came out. the 240hp SE was a far more modern and better car then the current maxima at that time. Any Alitma with the v6 was superior to the maxima. And the altima became Nissans best selling car. While the TSX is not an all new design. I feel it will do similar damage to the new TL which I think has moved upscale and more lux than sport. 3971 pounds!! for the TL Sh jeez.. a 5 series BMW with the twin turbo is only 3660! The tsx is also quiet heavy how is it 3680?? thats crazy when the TL is 3700 or so. Regardless it is fast than a Base TL and I bet handles alot better. Acura needs to add a coupe, and an entry level car.. the integra was always its top seller, I dont know where they are headed but it seems like more lux than sport these days.
Actually the Altima vs Maxima thing that year is not totally correct, 02 was the year Nissan started moving the Max more upscale and production was intentionally lowered to over 100k units a year to 90k in 02 and lower than that in 03-current (Altima is nissan's bread and butter car it is suppose to sell more than the Max). Max offered features not available on the Altima and some still are not including: Memory seats, auto entry, heated steering wheel, HID's, 6 spd manual vs 5 spd, HSLD and more. Not to mention the interior was head and shoulders above the Altima's (criticized bad for that), which most Nissan guys loved. Performance was so similiar between these cars with some test giving Max the edge some Altima (same in real world).... Maxima has one of the most loyal following in the auto world with many repeat buyers and most if they donot get another Max will move on to the G series or TL etc, not Altima. Same in this case TL is moved more upscale, has features not available on TSX etc etc.....

Last edited by Monte TLS,MAX; 07-21-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Litt
The TSX is built in Japan, when it comes to Canada they have to pay a big Tariff, which jacks up the price. The TL is built in Ohio? That may explain why their prices are close together.
IIRC the sticker on my TL (SH-AWD) said that all assembly was done in Marysville, OH and that the transmission had been built in Japan. I think the percentage breakdown was 35 percent Japan and 65 percent in the US.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Some people still place a premium on Japan production and of course this also contributes to the cost/value ratio. There was a reason they moved TL to the US in 1999. I hope everyone remembers that they need to ship the engine from Ohio to Saitama and then send the whole thing back again.
Engine is Japan built for TSX V6. on RL it is 100% Japan. I saw 95% Japan on TSV V6 and 100% Japan on 4cylinder TSX.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think there will be much of an impact if any. I just bought an '09 TL yesterday and while the dealrship had an '10 TSX V6 in the color I wanted, there was no way I would choose the TSX over the TL, even though the prices are comparable.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Ac Man
I don't think there will be much of an impact if any. I just bought an '09 TL yesterday and while the dealrship had an '10 TSX V6 in the color I wanted, there was no way I would choose the TSX over the TL, even though the prices are comparable.
I have to agree. Sadly, Acura has given anyone wanting an Acura poor choices. I love Acuras for many reasons - and have owned three. But we get to choose between overpriced (TSX-V6) or seriously ugly (TL).

And oddly enough, it's a poor time for looking elsewhere. Looking at what I consider the most direct competitors, the G37 is getting a bit long in the tooth, the BMW 328 is underpowered and lacking some key features, the Maxima is close, but compromised by the CVT transmission, odd interior appointments and lack of an up to date navigation and top line stereo.

That's my take on the current state, and I will be buying (or leasing) something about six months from now to replace my CTS.