I want to buy 4th Gen TL... but QUESTIONS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
I want to buy 4th Gen TL... but QUESTIONS!

Hi guys,

Just joined forum... always admired the 4th gen TL... contrary to what others say I think its one of the slickest designs EVER on the road... still can't get over it so I am going to trade in my '08 Accord for a 2009-2011 Acura TL. I have a few questions pertaining to certain details however... if you guys can answer my questions, I would greatly appreciate it!!

1. I have no interest in the SH-AWD version but I love the gunmetal five spoke rims that come with it as seen here: http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-...fixedsmall.jpg

If I want to replace the stock 17" rims with the 18" 5-spoke wheels down the road... will there be any issues? To clarify, would the larger 18" diameter be a mis-match with the smaller 3.5L V6 in any way... and cause ratios and tuning to go out of whack?? I guess its more of an engineering question...

2. Also... I see these killer 19" rims on marketing photos but I can't find any cars equipped with them. What is the deal with these? Were they very rare options from dealership? As you can tell I'm not too hot on the stock 17" rims..
http://strumors.automobilemag.com/fi...rs-623x389.jpg

3. I've also noticed that without the technology package... I also lose out on the rear spoiler and chrome accents on the door handles. Is this correct?

4. With the technology package and push-button ignition, does driver always need to stick the key inside the little slot or is it a true keyless ignition system?

5. If I get the car WITHOUT technology package, will I lose out on features like iPod integration?

6. Do all trims come with xenon headlights? Or is that only a technology package feature??

7. FINALLY... are there any notorious problems that the '09-'11 models experience? Has there been any recalls or service advisories?

Thank you guys in advance... I look forward to hearing from you.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a dick, these are all questions that you should be asking your salesperson while you are test driving the car. I mean this honestly - no snarkiness here. Basically all of this information is also available online if you do some researching around.

But........

1. Doesn't matter. No, you won't throw anything out of whack. Just don't go putting 22s on the damn thing. That would just be... Well, whack.

2. They aren't rare. They're optional & extra. Ask your dealership.

3. Correct. The backup camera is actually located in the spoiler. The non tech / non Advance models do not have this.

4. No.

5. No, but all this information is honestly so widely available - have you not read Acura's website? They detail all trim levels. Research. Compare.

6. The headlights don't vary per trim level.

7. Read here: https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Last edited by birdy*feet; 08-15-2012 at 05:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
birdy feet for the win!
birdy*feet (08-15-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Eh-um, trolling question here, do either of you own a 4G TL?

OP, you sound excited. Go to the dealer and drive it.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 08-16-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
honestly.. more than half your questions could be answered if you just test drive one..

and for the wheels.. 18's are optional if dealer provides it.. and i do believe 19's are optional too but most SH-AWD are equipped with either 18 or 19's..

car does have its little problems, but make sure you run through everything on the car before purchase.. and when i mean everything, i mean EVERYTHING! down to the head rest buttons on the back seat.

my advice, pay the extra to get the tech package.. you get soo much more
mr_raja (08-17-2012)
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Marco

Either of you who? I've owned three. So I would think that is a yes. Anyway....
justnspace (08-16-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 04:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok...

1) If you have no interest in SH-AWD, stick to your accord.
The height of the tires are almost identical when you compare the 17s on the base to the 18s on the SH-AWD. Condsidering the $$ you will spend upgrading rubber and wheels, it's a no-brainer to get the AWD... seriously. To get back to your question, I would have Acura do the switch, but again, why would you not just get the AWD????

2) Those 19s are the ones that came with the ASPEC package I got on my 2010 SH AWD black. For that year, they even came with summer, Michelin pilot sports (245/40ZR/19 94Y). For 2012, they come stock on the SH AWD ELITE, i believe, but I think they come with all-seasons for 2012. My summer michelins are sick. Wouldn't have it any other way. Personally, the 19s are a must. Even 18s look small on the TL. Trust me.

3) the chrome accents came on my black one. But I think it depends where you get the car. For 2012, I've seen black ones without the chrome accents. Don't have an answer for the spoiler. All I can tell you is that I have one

4) the smart key stays in my pocket at all times. I've never used that slot ever. The dealer actually told me not to anyways. They said they've seen a lot of issues with that slot. Keep the key in your pocket, hit the brake, and push the button. That's it. To lock the car when you leave, all you have to do is have the key in ur pocketm then press the little rubber button on the door handle.

5) IDK. I would have never gotten a fwd TL or one without the TECH package either.

6) HIDs are standard across the board.

7) Some real minor, assembly plant stuff. Probably cuz the TL wasnt made in japan, unlike my previous TSX. Cant answer the other questions

The AWD on this thing is sick. Don't even consider the FWD. Again, if you're against the AWD, stick with the accord. If you really want the acura, try the V6 tsx. Probably a cleaner styled car than the TL.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by PCTCONE
Ok...

1) If you have no interest in SH-AWD, stick to your accord.
The height of the tires are almost identical when you compare the 17s on the base to the 18s on the SH-AWD. Condsidering the $$ you will spend upgrading rubber and wheels, it's a no-brainer to get the AWD... seriously. To get back to your question, I would have Acura do the switch, but again, why would you not just get the AWD????

some people just like to cruise.. no use of a awd if your not going to use it.. you have to keep in mind that not all of us are going to even use the awd system to its potential..

i test drove the awd first before i tested out the fwd.. and to me, as a daily driver and commuter, i dont need it.. as i dont race nor do i auto-cross..also i live in socal.. so there is no need for it.. not worth the extra money..

2) Those 19s are the ones that came with the ASPEC package I got on my 2010 SH AWD black. For that year, they even came with summer, Michelin pilot sports (245/40ZR/19 94Y). For 2012, they come stock on the SH AWD ELITE, i believe, but I think they come with all-seasons for 2012. My summer michelins are sick. Wouldn't have it any other way. Personally, the 19s are a must. Even 18s look small on the TL. Trust me.

if your going to upgrade your rims down the line or plan to upgrade it.. just get the stock 17's. save yourself some money as the upgraded 18's and 19's are pretty expensive additional option.. thats just my take on it.

3) the chrome accents came on my black one. But I think it depends where you get the car. For 2012, I've seen black ones without the chrome accents. Don't have an answer for the spoiler. All I can tell you is that I have one

2009-2011 have chrome accent door handles.

2012 have color matched door handles.

4) the smart key stays in my pocket at all times. I've never used that slot ever. The dealer actually told me not to anyways. They said they've seen a lot of issues with that slot. Keep the key in your pocket, hit the brake, and push the button. That's it. To lock the car when you leave, all you have to do is have the key in ur pocketm then press the little rubber button on the door handle.

to unlock, just put your hands on the door handle..

5) IDK. I would have never gotten a fwd TL or one without the TECH package either.

i refer you to question #1's answer

6) HIDs are standard across the board.

yup

7) Some real minor, assembly plant stuff. Probably cuz the TL wasnt made in japan, unlike my previous TSX. Cant answer the other questions

all of acura's cars are never perfect.. one way or another they have issues.. this is my third acura and let me tell you.. all of them had issues. japan or US made.. doesnt matter

The AWD on this thing is sick. Don't even consider the FWD. Again, if you're against the AWD, stick with the accord. If you really want the acura, try the V6 tsx. Probably a cleaner styled car than the TL.

this is all personal preference..

why would you get a TSX V6 over a TL FWD v6 when they are both the same price?

its like asking yourself.. would you pay for a civic when an accord is the same price?

and for the FWD and AWD thing.. it all depends on personal preference.. some people dont need it.. some people just want to cruise.. and relax during a drive..

i will agree that if you live in the conditions that require it then do so.. but if you live in sunny weather like SOCAL.. and if you are not a enthusiast.. then you dont really need it.. some people just like to have it..
psychostud (08-17-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 AM
Intermediate

Like i said, stick with the accord. I, myself, am an enthusiast. If you're not, sure, just opt for the basic fwd TL.

(why would you get a TSX V6 over a TL FWD v6 when they are both the same price?

its like asking yourself.. would you pay for a civic when an accord is the same price?)

i would rather have a top-trim tsx over a base TL. Again, that's just me...
Old 08-18-2012, 03:26 AM

Like i said, stick with the accord. I, myself, am an enthusiast. If you're not, sure, just opt for the basic fwd TL.

(why would you get a TSX V6 over a TL FWD v6 when they are both the same price?

its like asking yourself.. would you pay for a civic when an accord is the same price?)

i would rather have a top-trim tsx over a base TL. Again, that's just me...

please elaborate on why you would.. as a tech TL trim is already way above a top of the line TSX trim.

if given the same price which one would you pick?

for the same price tsx v6 tech and TL Tech, your getting much more options with the TL
-better sound system 440 watt vs 415 watt
-push start (tsx still uses key)
-door handle unlocking sensors (most luxury cars have this feature now, but tsx doesnt)
-10 way adjustible driver seat vs 8 way
-more solid (tsx is a little louder)
-much better refined car (we can all agree that the TL interior is much better than that Accord inspired interior)
-More room

http://www.acura.com/tools/pdf/GetFactsheet.ashx?t=pricing&model=TL&modelYear=201 2
<- tl fact sheet
http://www.acura.com/tools/pdf/GetFa...modelYear=2012 <- tsx fact sheet

v6 TL tech is same price as a v6 tsx tech

here are screen shots from acura website

anyways there is already a thread on tsx vs tl.... some members have owned both and would never step down to a tsx again..

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=856782&page=2
birdy*feet (08-19-2012)
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why no love for the base TL? Of course the SHAWD is a better car but if you are buying used, I'm seeing average-mileage 09 base TLs for 21k which is a lot of car for the money, whereas a SHAWD 09 will be in the high 20s unless it's got very high mileage. A difference of 7-8k is a lot of money.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Intermediate

(please elaborate on why you would.. as a tech TL trim is already way above a top of the line TSX trim.

if given the same price which one would you pick?)

I've had both cars. To me, the TSX was much more refined. Have you driven/owned both? Regarding fwd and awd, the TSX V6 actually stands out amongst its competitors, especially with the V6. With the TL, correct me if I'm wrong, but no car I can think of that competes with the TL has a FWD layout. With the TL, you're in a different class of car. You can say all you want about the same price yada yada yada... but they are in two different classes. I feel my TL already lacks a lot when compared to its arch rivals. And I simply don't want that disadvantage to grow any larger by having FWD. I've been with acura since 2006, and they better step up their game. Even if they raise the MSRP for the TL, I'd gladly remain a customer, as long as they up their game.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Intermediate

One other thing. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the TL tech come with wheels that are one size smaller than a v6 tsx?? Since I'm big on wheels, that's another reason I would rather have a top-trim TSX V6 over a TL with no AWD.

Regardless of what I said previously about the competition, I am very happy with my SH AWD Aspec. I love the 19s, the handling, the interior, the sound, etc. Much i like, but i hope there's more with the 2014. But we'll see i guess. If there aren't many upgrades or improvement, I'll pay a bit more and become a member of some infiniti forum......
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
(please elaborate on why you would.. as a tech TL trim is already way above a top of the line TSX trim.

if given the same price which one would you pick?)

I've had both cars. To me, the TSX was much more refined. Have you driven/owned both? Regarding fwd and awd, the TSX V6 actually stands out amongst its competitors, especially with the V6. With the TL, correct me if I'm wrong, but no car I can think of that competes with the TL has a FWD layout. With the TL, you're in a different class of car. You can say all you want about the same price yada yada yada... but they are in two different classes. I feel my TL already lacks a lot when compared to its arch rivals. And I simply don't want that disadvantage to grow any larger by having FWD. I've been with acura since 2006, and they better step up their game. Even if they raise the MSRP for the TL, I'd gladly remain a customer, as long as they up their game.
My TL has better fit and finish than my sons TSX (2009). Especially the interior. The V6 TSX to me was not that impressive. IMHO, the TSX I4 is a nicer engine, especially in manual. The SH-AWD Tech is the nicest vehicle, but if I had to choose I would take the tech package over the AWD, but I picked both and love the car.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's an interesting take PCTCONE - do you mean the TSX is more refined compared with its competitors than the TL (as opposed to being more refined that the TL)? Because our household just turned in a 2009 TSX and I bought a 2012 TL and if you're comparing the two, refinement goes to the TL in spades. Much better built, much tighter, more smooth and powerful engine, etc.

We also just got a 2012 G37 sedan w. Nav on a lease. While it does have RWD and more HP, I can definitely say that the TL more than holds its own against it (my gf and her bro leased the G when they turned in the TSX). They both appeal to a slightly different driver preference (TL is more smooth whereas G37 is more sporty) but when we compare it, we actually like the fit-n-finish, and the smoothness of the TL over the G's advantages in HP. We also all prefer the engine sound of the TL over the G (G is more high pitched and sounds like its straining compared to the smooth lower rumble of the TL). And we can confirm the MPG advantage of the TL over the G (they're actually pissed at how low MPG they get).

As far as other competitors and FWD:
  • Audi A6 comes in FWD with an available Quattro
  • Lexus ES 350 comes in FWD as well
Old 08-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
To me, the TSX was much more refined.
Wow. I've driven a few loaner TSX's and 4G TL's and there's no way I'd pick the TSX over the TL in terms of refinement unless your definition of "refinement" is different than mine.

Have you driven/owned both? Regarding fwd and awd, the TSX V6 actually stands out amongst its competitors, especially with the V6.
I haven't looked up pricing lately, but have done this in the past, but the problem with the TSX having a V6 is that it starts bumping up against a TL's price, in which case, most people aren't going to buy the TSX - they'll buy the TL. As an example, on truecar.com, a TSX V6 Tech is listed as having an average sale price of $37,548 in my area. A FWD TL Tech is listed at $36,054. Yes, less. Add SH-AWD, and it becomes $39,340. I'd be out of my mind to pick a TSX at those prices (I'm saying this as personal opinion, of course. lol.).

With the TL, correct me if I'm wrong, but no car I can think of that competes with the TL has a FWD layout. With the TL, you're in a different class of car. You can say all you want about the same price yada yada yada... but they are in two different classes. I feel my TL already lacks a lot when compared to its arch rivals.
You should've bought one of the rivals then. To me, price is not a "yada yada". It's one of the most important features in a car. There are more options given by competitors, true. But you pay anywhere from $5000-$10,000 probably for those options. To say the TL is not in the class of those vehicles - so? I don't think they're trying to be. There are people who would choose a Lexus GS over the TL, but to get something as basic nowadays as navigation in that car, you have to add a $5000 or $8000 option package (I forget the actual cost). Sorry, at that point, it becomes everything about price to me.

And I simply don't want that disadvantage to grow any larger by having FWD. I've been with acura since 2006, and they better step up their game. Even if they raise the MSRP for the TL, I'd gladly remain a customer, as long as they up their game.
I hear where you're coming from, but there are tons of people that are happy they can get what Acura is offering for a sub-$40k price. If they go above that, then I'll downsize to another vehicle like a Maxima or Accord or something. Right now, that $40-$42k is my mental barrier. It's one reason I'm hesitant to jump into a Cadillac ATS 2.0 - the price.

You make some good points though because I hear others echoing the same thing. I definitely don't agree with you on the TSX vs. TL, though.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Quite simply, I notice fewer squeeks and rattles when I had my TSX. I never said it was better than my TL tho. My point, from the getgo, was that I wouldn't want a TL without AWD.

Uh, whoever it was that said the Audi A6 is competition to the TL is wrong. I'm sorry, but you are. The A6 is 5 series and e-class territory bro. And I never knew audi actually made something other than AWD, but I guess they do.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

(That's an interesting take PCTCONE - do you mean the TSX is more refined compared with its competitors than the TL (as opposed to being more refined that the TL)?

YES. I meant the TSX is better than its rivals, in terms of refinement. In terms of G37 vs TL. I'm talking pure 0 to 60. And I think the advantage of the G37 is greater than you allude to.

Again, please tell me how the A6 is in the same class as the TL. I'd love to hear your reasoning. So if acura does a TL- type s, for example, in 2014, ur gonna say its in the same class as an audi S6? Regretfully, it wouldn't be.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

lol, i cant get over that FirstTL12! How does a 20k difference in starting price make the cars in the same league????????
Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 PM

I've had both cars. To me, the TSX was much more refined. Have you driven/owned both? Regarding fwd and awd, the TSX V6 actually stands out amongst its competitors, especially with the V6.
i test driven both, at first i went to dealer looking to get a v6 tsx tech.. i then test drove a fwd TL tech..

what i can say is that the tsx is not in the same league as the tl.. even in tech gadgets.. the TL offered more.. and yes its more REFINED.. your statement is comparing TL to TSX which i think you are incorrect on that part..

keep in mind that tsx is accord inspired... and actually is an accord in some countries.

With the TL, correct me if I'm wrong, but no car I can think of that competes with the TL has a FWD layout. With the TL, you're in a different class of car. You can say all you want about the same price yada yada yada... but they are in two different classes.
my point exactly.. why would you go with a lower class car then a higher class car when price is almost identical

pound for pound, TL out beats a TSX any day..

I feel my TL already lacks a lot when compared to its arch rivals. And I simply don't want that disadvantage to grow any larger by having FWD. I've been with acura since 2006, and they better step up their game. Even if they raise the MSRP for the TL, I'd gladly remain a customer, as long as they up their game.
were talking about tsx and tl, and your compairing it to other cars?

One other thing. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the TL tech come with wheels that are one size smaller than a v6 tsx?? Since I'm big on wheels, that's another reason I would rather have a top-trim TSX V6 over a TL with no AWD.
correct me if i am wrong but the TSX doesnt come with push start? and since i am a big fan of convenience, that is another reason i would rather pick a FWD TL over a overprice v6 tsx..

wheels can be changed out. you know that.. for god sakes its almost 2013.. and yet a tsx still uses turn to start function..

the god damn ILX has it..

Last edited by potmilkz; 08-19-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Intermediate

(keep in mind that tsx is accord inspired... and actually is an accord in some countries.)

Uh, "keep in mind" that the TL is also accord-inspired...

what i can say is that the tsx is not in the same league as the tl

Ya, no kidding - I never said it was. All I said was that it arguably looked better, but that's only cuz the base TL comes with puny 17s. If i thought the TSX was better, I'd be driving it... and not my TL.

were talking about tsx and tl, and your compairing it to other cars?

????

This started off as me giving my thoughts to "MYNAMEISJACOB", the original thread starter. I simply meant that, to me, the SH AWD system was a huge part of my purchase decision. I respect the fact that you say it's no big deal to you. But to me, it's huge. You make AWD sound like it's only good when used as a "necessity". You say that u don't need it in SoCal cuz the weather is nice. Well, I could care less about the weather. My TL AWD came with summer michelins, for crying out loud. If AWD was strictly for poor weather, then why did I get summer rubber? I got the AWD based on CHOICE, not NECESSITY. I got it for the driving experience... one that you can't get with the FWD TL. You say that "some people just wanna cruise and relax on a drive" so they don't need AWD. Um, please explain how an AWD system prevents you from "cruising" or "relaxing". I stand firm when I say that, if ur thinking of getting a TL, spend the extra $ for the AWD. You also get bigger wheels and some more hp, tho not as much as I'd like

On a side note, when the 5g is here, I really hope they reduce the size. As I mentioned on another thread, way too much front and rear overhang. And PLEASE ACURA, LED daytimes PLEASE!!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
lol, i cant get over that FirstTL12! How does a 20k difference in starting price make the cars in the same league????????
When I referenced Audi A6 that was just to show that Audis put out FWD, even in HIGHER classes (in reference to your post about how everything in the TL's class is either RWD or AWD). Audi offers A4 and A6 in FWD with optional AWD. That's the point to draw from that.

So if you want to stay "in class" then the A4 also comes in FWD. Point is, in the $35-$40K class there are plenty of options in FWD/AWD/RWD and the TL isn't some freaky outlier that is the last of the FWD dinosaurs.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
(That's an interesting take PCTCONE - do you mean the TSX is more refined compared with its competitors than the TL (as opposed to being more refined that the TL)?

YES. I meant the TSX is better than its rivals, in terms of refinement. In terms of G37 vs TL. I'm talking pure 0 to 60. And I think the advantage of the G37 is greater than you allude to.

Again, please tell me how the A6 is in the same class as the TL. I'd love to hear your reasoning. So if acura does a TL- type s, for example, in 2014, ur gonna say its in the same class as an audi S6? Regretfully, it wouldn't be.
Could have guessed off the bat that this guy is one of those clueless status driven people who eat up the propoganda and acts like car classes are like the indian caste system...

1.) If you are an enthusiast as you claim to be, then why did you buy an AWD TL over competition that stomps it in performance?

2.) You claim a TL/Tech is a 'base' car compared to your AWD when the only interior differences are baseball stitching and a slightly thicker steering wheel

3.) FWD is more efficient a platform for touring vehicles like the TL and its competitors... There are more advantages than cons for this as a daily driver.

Just funny when people ride their high horses into town.

I don't think of an A6 as a substantially different class of car. Its very nice... its an audi so forget owning it out of warranty. The new SC 3.0 seems wicked.

Marketing is all about convincing people that something they don't need is essential to them...
Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Burning Brakes

I got it for the driving experience... one that you can't get with the FWD TL. You say that "some people just wanna cruise and relax on a drive" so they don't need AWD. Um, please explain how an AWD system prevents you from "cruising" or "relaxing". I stand firm when I say that, if ur thinking of getting a TL, spend the extra $ for the AWD. You also get bigger wheels and some more hp, tho not as much as I'd like
The 'sport' suspension on the AWD is substantially rougher and less refined than the base TL... Forgot to mention that on my last post...

Cars are purpose engineered machines, there is no 'best', there are choices based on intended use. Would I trade harsh suspension conditions during the 95% situations I am DDing it to work versus it feeling super stiff as I got around an offramp?

Come on now. I just got out of a civic Si with suspension upgrades ( A FWD w LSD mind you) that would outhandle your AWD TL handily... I won't pretend a stiff sport suspension is enjoyable as a daily commuter in most situations.

I think the AWD system itself is great, however i think they really punted on the suspension on it... The only way I'd have a sport suspension commuter would be if it had adjustable damping settings.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 AM

(keep in mind that tsx is accord inspired... and actually is an accord in some countries.)

Uh, "keep in mind" that the TL is also accord-inspired...
oh please tell me where you got this info..

because from sources, the latest 3rd gen is based on a accord.. not the 4th gen..

what i can say is that the tsx is not in the same league as the tl

Ya, no kidding - I never said it was. All I said was that it arguably looked better, but that's only cuz the base TL comes with puny 17s. If i thought the TSX was better, I'd be driving it... and not my TL.
here let me quote you.

I've had both cars. To me, the TSX was much more refined.
in tech gadgets.. the TL offered more.. and yes its more REFINED..

This started off as me giving my thoughts to "MYNAMEISJACOB", the original thread starter. I simply meant that, to me, the SH AWD system was a huge part of my purchase decision. I respect the fact that you say it's no big deal to you. But to me, it's huge. You make AWD sound like it's only good when used as a "necessity".
nope i never stated that.. i said its good when you need it.

You say that u don't need it in SoCal cuz the weather is nice.
oh please tell me what i could possibly need it for in packed traffic in los angeles..

Well, I could care less about the weather. My TL AWD came with summer michelins, for crying out loud. If AWD was strictly for poor weather, then why did I get summer rubber?I got the AWD based on CHOICE, not NECESSITY. I got it for the driving experience... one that you can't get with the FWD TL. You say that "some people just wanna cruise and relax on a drive" so they don't need AWD. Um, please explain how an AWD system prevents you from "cruising" or "relaxing".
it doesn't, i never stated it did.. your just assuming.

do you really think a awd is much more comfortable than a fwd?
awd = more stiff suspension, uses more gas, rear seat has large bump, trunk space is some what reduced, car weights more.

all are reasons why a awd is not a cruising or relaxing car.

I stand firm when I say that, if ur thinking of getting a TL, spend the extra $ for the AWD. You also get bigger wheels and some more hp, tho not as much as I'd like
like i said, some people, or should i say most.. are not HARDCORE enthusiast like you.. we dont need it as a requirement.

Your coming off as "if your going to buy a TL, a AWD is the only one you should get."

Most of us has shit to do, like take siblings or children to school. Long drives to work, commute 30+ miles each way.. 5 days a week.. why would we get a AWD when a FWD offers not just a more comfortable ride, but better mpg and more rear seat room?

point is, if you are a enthuiast, yes, get the awd.. but a awd is not necessary for us daily drivers that use it to commute.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Instructor

A6 is not even on the same planet as the TL. A4, maybe...
Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Regardless of what I said previously about the competition, I am very happy with my SH AWD Aspec. I love the 19s, the handling, the interior, the sound, etc. Much i like, but i hope there's more with the 2014. But we'll see i guess. If there aren't many upgrades or improvement, I'll pay a bit more and become a member of some infiniti forum......
Wheels should have zero to do with your purchase decision. You can easily put whatever wheel & tire setup you'd like on practically any vehicle. This makes no sense to me.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Birdy*feet....
and we get called the troll.
half this thread is arguing about whose the better enthusiast....
kinda like winning the special olympics, eh?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace
Birdy*feet....
God, no kidding, eh?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by birdy*feet
A6 is not even on the same planet as the TL. A4, maybe...
The A4 is tiny compared to the TL, not really comparable other than price. TL is a ton more car than an A4. I don't think the differences between the A6 are that crazy. Better in some ways not as reliable long term
Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Birdy*feet....
I just piped in bc that dude is spouting off verbal diarrhea. Yapping about racecar.
The following 2 users liked this post by Booya4139:
birdy*feet (08-20-2012), justnspace (08-21-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

1.) If you are an enthusiast as you claim to be, then why did you buy an AWD TL over competition that stomps it in performance?

I got it as my daily commuter. Lots a corners and stuff on my route, which is why i chose AWD. For the winter, that's why I have my truck. for the summer, that's why I have my IS-F (RWD).

Come on now. I just got out of a civic Si with suspension upgrades ( A FWD w LSD mind you) that would outhandle your AWD TL handily...

Great, sounds like you have a bad-a__ civic.

2.) You claim a TL/Tech is a 'base' car compared to your AWD when the only interior differences are baseball stitching and a slightly thicker steering wheel

Who cares about interior differences? The other differences are what I'm talking about.

I don't think of an A6 as a substantially different class of car.

Uh, yes it is a different class of car.

Marketing is all about convincing people that something they don't need is essential to them...

I don't think I'm the only one on this forum that would never get a TL FWD...
Old 08-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Booya4139
The A4 is tiny compared to the TL, not really comparable other than price. TL is a ton more car than an A4. I don't think the differences between the A6 are that crazy. Better in some ways not as reliable long term
No, I totally agree with you - the A4 is much smaller... I wasn't speaking in terms of simple size - just options and the car you get for the $$. I don't feel like, in terms of options, performance, and what you get in the vehicle as a whole, the TL is more than the A4.

PS I don't know how we got to Audi from the OP but... uhhhhh... I'm goin' with it.

Last edited by birdy*feet; 08-20-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Intermediate

because from sources, the latest 3rd gen is based on a accord.. not the 4th gen

You're telling me the 4g TL isn't based on the accord???? cmon now. Please.

oh please tell me what i could possibly need it for in packed traffic in los angeles..

I never said you needed it in S. Cal.

Your coming off as "if your going to buy a TL, a AWD is the only one you should get."

That's exactly how I'm coming off, yes.

point is, if you are a enthuiast, yes, get the awd.. but a awd is not necessary for us daily drivers that use it to commute.

That's all i meant from the beginning.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Instructor

because from sources, the latest 3rd gen is based on a accord.. not the 4th gen

You're telling me the 4g TL isn't based on the accord???? cmon now. Please.
Google "seventh gen euro accord."

Then, Google "eighth gen euro accord."

If you can't clearly see a third gen TL and a TSX, well.... Then I just don't know. 4th gen TL and Accord? Nope.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 AM
Intermediate

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5708272_ho...-acura-tl.html

http://www.oncars.com/news-blogs/sto...ser-Experience

http://karfarm.com/mag/2011/08/2012-...ackage-review/

http://iguida.com/2009-acura-tl

http://acura-tls.blogspot.ca/2008/01...tl-report.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/revi...a-tl_quality_4

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/re...871462#VIP_TAB
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by birdy*feet
Either of you who? I've owned three. So I would think that is a yes. Anyway....
You've owned three 4G TL? Bullshit.

Looks like you Audied yourself.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Instructor

You've owned three 4G TL? Bullshit.

Looks like you Audied yourself.
Ha! Bullshit nothing. I had two 2009s and a 2012 which I traded in a few weeks ago for a new A6 - not that I have to explain myself to a grown man over an intraweb forum.

(Audied myself, heh )

Last edited by birdy*feet; 08-21-2012 at 01:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by birdy*feet:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-23-2012), justnspace (08-21-2012), RPhilMan1 (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 01:06 PM

^i just met you, but i like you.
birdy*feet (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Instructor

^i just met you, but i like you.

Quick Reply: I want to buy 4th Gen TL... but QUESTIONS!