How is the new TL selling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that lagging 4th Generation sales are mainly due to the economy. I don't totally hate the '09, I think that it is a solid car and I hope it will sell well. Time will tell, but Acura may have put the new TL in a position where it faces more competition from brands like the Lexus ES by raising the price and not carrying over many styling cues from the 3rd Generation to set it apart. I feel that the '09 TL is a nice looking car from the sides and rear.

For me, the dealbreaker would be the grille. I have to love a car that I am going to spend close to $40k on. I'm one of those guys who turns around and looks at my vehicle when I park it, so I am probably more picky about styling than most. The only time I compromised on styling was when I bought my '04 CRV. At that time, my criteria for a vehicle was that it had to have 4WD, have an above average reliability rating, good crash test ratings and get over 20 MPG.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:06 PM
So Slick, bugs dont stick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Acura didn't make the TL for "diehards."........they got the upcoming NSX for that. The TL is their "bread and butter" car.....as such it is made to appeal to as biggest group of people as possible......young, old, men, women. With the 4G, I believe Acura purposely designed this car to go more upscale and bigger to appeal to more older buyers, families and women.
Yes my mom likes it alot, but she isnt going to buy one (just got another new car). But slightly before the economy went into the slums. Nobody could predict this coming, and acura couldnt either. So they launched a new, weird looking car. It will grow on people, and the grill thing i totally agree with, thats one of the only things i dont like. Minor change = maybe more sales.. who knows. the grill flows on the tsx tho so i dunno. .
Old 10-25-2008, 01:08 PM
FPR pimpin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the new TL is pretty nice, Im not CRAZY over the grille but its not something that turns me off.

The TL with skirt pkg and everything looks pretty HOT. The TL is now in another level of luxury they are trying to move it upscale, Its HUGE now, for comparison the 3G TL looks about the same size as the new TSX when I saw them side by side, the new TL just dwarfs it

According to VTEC.net test of the 6MT SH-AWD model, they had it turning laps faster than a 335i

type S... M3 killer?

I am very interested in the Type S when it comes out and I'm 99% sure from seeing the fully optioned 4G that if I have the $$$ I will get it

Honestly I dont think anything in its class is as nice... but looks are subjective
Old 10-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kennyl
Hi everybody, does anybody know some exact figures so that we can crutch the numbers to see how the new 09TL's are selling? In my mind, I doubt the numbers are on par to what Acura has projected. The new design is awfully disgusting to all other TL's and for that matter, most Japanese cars. I wonder if their was any other intentions on having such a poor product so that other car companies can do better. Did that guy who's in charge of the new ***keen/dynamic look really have good intentions for the TL? How did he get hired anyway? Who their really made the decision for this bad selling design and who surrounded his decisions? Was it all the cast of 3G designers or was it a bunch of new gilligan's island people. I smell a big rat, if you ask me. Anyhow, what do I know. I'm just a family doctor that's very disappointed in the new design. I was never disappointed with any of the other previous TL designs. There needs to be some major firing, reconcillation and improvement for continued success. Don't get angry of the truth, the truth is REALITY!Just my two cents.
Honda will be releasing the October numbers in a week.

In the meantime, we're all just shooting the breeze here!
Old 10-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Acura didn't make the TL for "diehards."........they got the upcoming NSX for that. The TL is their "bread and butter" car.....as such it is made to appeal to as biggest group of people as possible......young, old, men, women. With the 4G, I believe Acura purposely designed this car to go more upscale and bigger to appeal to more older buyers, families and women.
Yup. There seems to be a slight shift in the 4G's main target audience to those segments that you stated.

Though when manufacturers change their marketing targets like that, there is always the risk of not quite getting traction with your new target customers while simultaneously alienating your existing customer base, esp. at the introduction phase.

So the October sales number might be reflecting this marketing shift as well as of course the general economic malaise as you have stated.

Since changing marketing strategy oftentime require time and lots of marketing outlay to change public's perception, short term Acura may be excused for showing poor TL sales number for these reasons.

But long term, TL needs to deliver the numbers to show that Acura's new market positioning for the TL is sound.