HL22-1200 Lumen V-LEDS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
KB1 would you say that bulb is also useable as a high beam?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts
When my headlamp is on, when I flashes my high beam you can see a noticable difference in brightness.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
we will take more pictures tonight , also H11 for the fog lights
Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KB1Spec
Thanks Ds for posting the pic
come by later , we gonna have a bbq
Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Safety Car

BBQ everyday eh? LOL

Originally Posted by DeeQRL
come by later , we gonna have a bbq
Old 03-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

BBQ everyday eh? LOL
not everyday lol ... im getting fat
Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce_Wayne
Very interesting camphil. Thanks for being the "guinea pig" on these for the rest of us.

I want to see what they look like in the housing. Please post shots of the DRLs in the daytime and nighttime please and thanks.

Judging by the lowbeam w highbeam pic (last one)... it doesn't look like it would throw as much light out as a hologen bulb. But anything over regular LED bulbs is definitely an improvement... hopefully a functional improvement.
Sorry for the crappy pics but my DSLR was acting up last night and had to use my camera phone. The actual light output is a little brighter than what the pictures show. However, I'd say it is still not as bright as halogens, but brighter than the other 28 LEDs I had in before.

Originally Posted by DeeQRL
we will take more pictures tonight , also H11 for the fog lights
Would really appreciate if you could post as soon as possible. If the output from KB1's lights proves brighter, I'd want to return my current setup and get those from JLCLighting.

Last edited by CamPhil; 03-27-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: forgot to post pics.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
When my headlamp is on, when I flashes my high beam you can see a noticable difference in brightness.
Can you post some pics like CamPhil of their high beam capacity.

Originally Posted by CamPhil
Sorry for the crappy pics but my DSLR was acting up last night and had to use my camera phone. The actual light output is a little brighter than what the pictures show. However, I'd say it is still not as bright as halogens, but brighter than the other 28 LEDs I had in before.

Would really appreciate if you could post as soon as possible. If the output from KB1's lights proves brighter, I'd want to return my current setup and get those from JLCLighting.
Much more light output then I thought possible from a LED. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that much light output for my high beams but it's better then LED's I've used in the past. Definitely, and thanks for the pics!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Much more light output then I thought possible from a LED. I don't know if I'd be comfortable with that much light output for my high beams but it's better then LED's I've used in the past. Definitely, and thanks for the pics!
The ones I have are advertised as 22W each and and only throw light in one direction (up to the top of the reflector housing). His are advertised at 24W and throws light on 4 sides. Hopefully that means it provides better light output since it actually utilizes the entire reflector and has a tad bit more power. If that is true, I'll be returning my V-LEDS bulbs for the JLCLighting set.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I wonder with the size of the heat sink on the JLCLighting bulb if there are any clearance issues ie any modding that needs to be done to make fit so it won't be in the way of anything? It's a very large heat sink.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Word of caution to people using LED DRLs, side marker lights etc.

Newer Acura headlights use a clear coated on the inside of the lens, for some reason the light emitted from the LED bulbs interacts with the clear (something to do with wave length) which in turn eats through the inside of the front lenses.

Just check with Fyah TL and 07TLFIXDUP (sp?)

I had to refinish the inside of the front lenses to rid the spider webbing caused by the clear, the common denominator in both lights was LED DRLs.

This especially goes out to my past customers as I shall not he held responsible for any damage caused by any after market LED based set up.

This again is just a word of caution as the common denominator in both the cases I fixed was LED based DRLs.

I have fixed about 5 sets of Nissan headlights with this issue as well so this issue is not just with Acura lights.

Last edited by JnC; 03-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JnC:
Alexander. (03-27-2013), itsryanftw (03-28-2013), TeamAcura (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JnC
Word of caution to people using LED DRLs, side marker lights etc.

Newer Acura headlights use a clear coated on the inside of the lens, for some reason the light emitted from the LED bulbs interacts with the clear (something to do with wave length) which in turn eats through the inside of the front lenses.

Just check with Fyah TL and 07TLFIXDUP (sp?)

I had to refinish the inside of the front lenses to rid the spider webbing caused by the clear, the common denominator in both lights was LED DRLs.

This especially goes out to my past customers as I shall not he held responsible for any damage caused by any after market LED based set up.

This again is just a word of caution as the common denominator in both the cases I fixed was LED based DRLs.

I have fixed about 5 sets of Nissan headlights with this issue as well so this issue is not just with Acura lights.
How long was it on before you noticed the damage?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:05 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

^^ 07FIXDTL got in touch with me after a few months and Fyah had the issue after a few month AFAIK.

Again, this is not me bad mouthing a company's product, I am sure they make an awesome product, its only when you put LED DRLs and headlight lenses with clear on the inside together that you might run into issues.

Just a heads up to people who are running them or plan on doing so.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JnC
^^ 07FIXDTL got in touch with me after a few months and Fyah had the issue after a few month AFAIK.

Again, this is not me bad mouthing a company's product, I am sure they make an awesome product, its only when you put LED DRLs and headlight lenses with clear on the inside together that you might run into issues.

Just a heads up to people who are running them or plan on doing so.
do have pictures of the damage?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

do have pictures of the damage?

07FIXEDTLs set.

He was running tower sized marker LEDs and LED DRLs. I can try to dig out FYAHs pictures as well but usually its the spider web cracks that you see in the pictures. THe white haze is from the clear he had used. Also notice how the damage is mostly in front of where the LED light shines (marker and DRL)

The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (04-09-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
damn so glad i dont have this issue and i have been running my led drl's for about 2 years now and recently just purchased a small 5 led for my side marker and not some tower design like what you see above.. i hope mine dont have the same problem..

are you sure its not the paint fumes that is causing the damage to the headlights?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:39 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by potmilkz

are you sure its not the paint fumes that is causing the damage to the headlights?
If it was the paint fumes then the issue wont be localized as you can see in the pictures posted above.

The lenses I refinish for oneeightcustoms are from the newer model 370Z and the problem is again localized in front of the LED markers.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

FML. Now IDK what to do. I really want some LEDs too but not at the risk of damaging the lens.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
I've DRL LED on my 12' TL without any issues.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Zelaya, for how long you been running them? I think I'm gonna go JDM yellow instead. Much cheaper and different.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Since April 2012 and no sign at all.

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
Zelaya, for how long you been running them? I think I'm gonna go JDM yellow instead. Much cheaper and different.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Zelaya
Since April 2012 and no sign at all.
I also never had any issues with my original housing and ran LEDs from V-LEDS as DRLs for several months. That might mean that only certain types of LEDs are the culprit and causing the damage that JnC is describing.

Originally Posted by TeamAcura
FML. Now IDK what to do. I really want some LEDs too but not at the risk of damaging the lens.
Just to be safe, I pulled my DRL fuse yesterday. I am contemplating putting in HIDs because for me, high beam functionality is most important. A bit overkill? Perhaps, but if you don't plan on running them as DRL it provides a viable option unless somebody can chime in and let us know if that will not work for any reason. To reiterate, high beams are more important to me because of the areas I drive in.

Originally Posted by JnC
If it was the paint fumes then the issue wont be localized as you can see in the pictures posted above.

The lenses I refinish for oneeightcustoms are from the newer model 370Z and the problem is again localized in front of the LED markers.
JnC - are you able to provide the LED bulb type and brands that were in all those housings? I'm just trying to figure out if it may be caused by specific ones since some of us have not had any signs of damage.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Burning Brakes

JnC - are you able to provide the LED bulb type and brands that were in all those housings? I'm just trying to figure out if it may be caused by specific ones since some of us have not had any signs of damage.
Great question! It might be specific LED bulb types?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Thats a question only FYAH, 07FIXEDUPTL can answer or oneeightycustoms

You can see one of the market LED tower in the picture I posted above, not sure if brand can be told by looking at that picture.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, if you don't mind, output pictures at night (with high-beam engaged) would be great.

I know this thread has taken a different turn, but here are some output pics of VLED's 5K WHITE 6 LED DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS HB3 9005.

I have the stock housing with Xenondepot 5000K bulbs, with the shield still in the high beam housing.

As you can see from below, the high beam function is pretty much useless, even with these bulbs that supposedly put out 725 lumens.

Low beam

Low Beam with High Beam
Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by deuce415
I know this thread has taken a different turn, but here are some output pics of VLED's 5K WHITE 6 LED DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS HB3 9005.

I have the stock housing with Xenondepot 5000K bulbs, with the shield still in the high beam housing.

As you can see from below, the high beam function is pretty much useless, even with these bulbs that supposedly put out 725 lumens.
Thanks for posting. Still good to know and helps other members decide what they want to do. Have you had any issues with LEDs in your housing? Doesn't seem like it.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I just bought a pair of the HL22-1200 Lumen V-LEDS and I must say they are very functional as hi -beams. My only gripe is the bulb is not exposed 360 degrees. It can make it a slight chore when installing because the base turns and the bulb does not. So you have to place it in the slot just right with a little silicone grease. Other than that, this will be my last experiment with DRL replacements because this reaches my satisfaction level aesthetic and functional
Old 03-28-2013, 10:57 AM

see thats the thing about the damaged headlight lens.. it only applies to headlights that were previously opened and painted...

i question if its the actual led bulb or the paint.. a lot of us are running LED DRL's with no issues with stock headlights.. but JNC is running into issues with headlights that are previously opened.. not saying its your fault but maybe that has with the fumes given off by the paint mixing with the led bulb fumes?

Last edited by potmilkz; 03-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by keith7120
I just bought a pair of the HL22-1200 Lumen V-LEDS and I must say they are very functional as hi -beams. My only gripe is the bulb is not exposed 360 degrees. It can make it a slight chore when installing because the base turns and the bulb does not. So you have to place it in the slot just right with a little silicone grease. Other than that, this will be my last experiment with DRL replacements because this reaches my satisfaction level aesthetic and functional

i can say for certain that JLC's drl bulbs are about 10x brighter than VLEDS... just because its 360 degrees.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Agreed 100% I'd like to know if anyone including myself who has unopened headlights have a issue by using LED bulbs. I don't think is the leds, like I mentioned before I had LED on my previous RL and no issues on my current TL.

see thats the thing about the damaged headlight lens.. it only applies to headlights that were previously opened and painted...

i question if its the actual led bulb or the paint.. a lot of us are running LED DRL's with no issues with stock headlights.. but JNC is running into issues with headlights that are previously opened.. not saying its your fault but maybe that has with the fumes given off by the paint mixing with the led bulb fumes?

Last edited by Zelaya; 03-28-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

I'd think that as well but the nissan lights I have fixed were OEM, non modified along with a couple of GT-R headlight lenses, customers had them reconditioned/cleared whilst the headlights were getting fixed.

The notion that the bulbs should damage ALL headlights they are used with is negated by the fact that it could be just a stray batch of LED bulbs that omit a certain wavelength of light that causes the clear to react.

Lets not forget that the factory clear is cured using UV light in the first place.

I would like to point out here, once again, my statements should not be taken as bad mouthing any of the involved companies or their products. This is strictly a heads up to people who might run into this issue down the road as they'd want an explanation.

Think of this as one of those side affect warnings that you hear after a medications ad, doesnt mean that you will get those side affects but the manufacturer much rather bring it to your attention before hand.
Alexander. (04-03-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:54 PM

well said JNC.. did not know that these were happening to OEM headlights as well..

thanks for the heads up, i will be keeping a close eye on my headlights

also how did you end up fixing them? did you clear coat them again?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
I guess someone just have to "take one for the team" and try out new LED bulbs to see if there will be any problem in the long term.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I guess someone just have to "take one for the team" and try out new LED bulbs to see if there will be any problem in the long term.

id do it if Louis at JLC gives me 50% discount on it
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I felt obligated to do a true comparison of the two sets discussed on this thread (V-LEDS vs. JLC). The set from JLC should arrive early next week. Once again my objective was "white" DRL AND functional high beams.
deuce415 (04-03-2013)
Old 04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Safety Car

My set up have functional high beam kee kee kee
Old 04-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced

My set up have functional high beam kee kee kee
haha...I considered the other set I had in "functional" but wanted to see how much of a difference there is between the 2 sets. Can you hook us up with some pictures please?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Safety Car

Do it tonight
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
Damn the jlc's are pretty freaking bright. I think I'll get those.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,143 Likes on 817 Posts
I felt obligated to do a true comparison of the two sets discussed on this thread (V-LEDS vs. JLC). The set from JLC should arrive early next week. Once again my objective was "white" DRL AND functional high beams.
Good man.

Quick Reply: HL22-1200 Lumen V-LEDS