HELP!!!! White garage drippings on the paint!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Moneyman2011

HELP!!!! White garage drippings on the paint!!!

I need help fast! I parked my car in a garage yesterday evening and never noticed until this morning that the whole passerger side of the car is covered with white water spots and it is not coming off by hand washing. I want to be careful not to damage the paint, but does anyone have any recommendations on how to clean this? It almost looks like dried milk. Please reply with assistance.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Dried milk? as in its dried up and crusty?
can you use your fingernail to chip it off?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
I would try a claybar and wax to see if that does anything. If that doesnt work maybe some paint safe solvent. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
wetsand then buff

only way to remove it..
Old 03-18-2011, 11:25 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Take it by the dealer and let the detail folks do a rinse and if it is determined that something else is required they can hanlde it on location.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
Take it by the dealer and let the detail folks do a rinse and if it is determined that something else is required they can hanlde it on location.

do not follow this advice!!!

never take your car to dealer to detail, its a dumb idea and im sure everyone here can vouch for me on this.

they do not take care of your car and you will probably end up getting all the a paint off but at the end your car will end up with scratches and keep swirls.

take it to a professional detailer ( might cost about 200) but your car gets fully detailed along with a good wetsand on the areas that has paint droppings on it.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by potmilkz
do not follow this advice!!!

never take your car to dealer to detail, its a dumb idea and im sure everyone here can vouch for me on this.

they do not take care of your car and you will probably end up getting all the a paint off but at the end your car will end up with scratches and keep swirls.

take it to a professional detailer ( might cost about 200) but your car gets fully detailed along with a good wetsand on the areas that has paint droppings on it.

I've had great experiences at my dealership, so for me it's not a dumb thing to do.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me to my TSX. My white substance was rain water that was dripping off from the building, but was collecting lime and calcium coming from the concrete catwalk above me from the building. It was pretty horrible looking. It was very hard and felt rough and sandy on the car. I didn't know any better and just used my finger nails to scrape it off. It left a lot of scratches on the car. I then went to go get that area detailed and the scratches were eliminated.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by Smoothie97
I had the same thing happen to me to my TSX. My white substance was rain water that was dripping off from the building, but was collecting lime and calcium coming from the concrete catwalk above me from the building. It was pretty horrible looking. It was very hard and felt rough and sandy on the car. I didn't know any better and just used my finger nails to scrape it off. It left a lot of scratches on the car. I then went to go get that area detailed and the scratches were eliminated.

On top of that you never know if it is a caustic chemical...I had a Dodge Conquest TSI back in the day and some kids took a yellow substance and squirted a few cars in the apt. development with it. It was a gated community which help catch the perps. The substance was French's mustard. My car was like a midnight black....mustard is pretty harsh on paint. I got it to my car folks in time, but initially when it was removed it left signs of it being their. Seagull droppings are pretty acidic and needs to be attended to pronto. Was living in Charleston, SC when that happened to a white car I owned at the time...it ate down to the metal!
Old 03-18-2011, 12:38 PM

I've had great experiences at my dealership, so for me it's not a dumb thing to do.

its a dumb thing to do considering that they charge an arm and a leg to do their work. (which by the way is not good at all and they will keep your car for weeks at a time too)

keep in mind that OP said a white substance thats on top of the paint, a simple wetsand can take this off, there is no need to take to stealership to do this type a work.. hell a body shop can take this off for you.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

its a dumb thing to do considering that they charge an arm and a leg to do their work. (which by the way is not good at all and they will keep your car for weeks at a time too)

keep in mind that OP said a white substance thats on top of the paint, a simple wetsand can take this off, there is no need to take to stealership to do this type a work.. hell a body shop can take this off for you.

Your bad experiences with dealerships may not be mine, the fellas treat me great. Often things of this nature are taken care of for me with little or no cost. A few months ago they fixed a bent rim for me without keeping it or cost. Had claybar done at a low-low price. And I have to say it was an amazing difference, about time to have it done again too.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Wax

Originally Posted by Moneyman2011
I need help fast! I parked my car in a garage yesterday evening and never noticed until this morning that the whole passerger side of the car is covered with white water spots and it is not coming off by hand washing. I want to be careful not to damage the paint, but does anyone have any recommendations on how to clean this? It almost looks like dried milk. Please reply with assistance.
A lot of good ideas below, but it is important to keep a very good coat of wax on the car, you may have already done this,, I don't mean running through a car wash and ask for wax, however that is better then nothing, but two or three coats of wax when the car is new, then at least a refresh coat every 3-5 months depending on location and driving habits. That will help protect the paint in case of an issue... For me it is Bird Droppings in San Diego when I park near the ocean..
Old 03-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX
A lot of good ideas below, but it is important to keep a very good coat of wax on the car, you may have already done this,, I don't mean running through a car wash and ask for wax, however that is better then nothing, but two or three coats of wax when the car is new, then at least a refresh coat every 3-5 months depending on location and driving habits. That will help protect the paint in case of an issue... For me it is Bird Droppings in San Diego when I park near the ocean..

Damn those seagulls
Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Moneyman2011

Update:

I ran down to my preferred body shop and showed them the car. The owner and a technician came out with some compound and cleaned it all up in about 20 minutes. They took the car into the shop and applied a "pre-wax" to the whole side of the car, and then waxed the entire car with three different types of wax compounds. I told them this was not needed as I could and would wax it myself, but they insisted. The car looks better now than the day I picked it up on February 28th! I have never seen depth in paint like this with exception of my friend's 599 GTB Fiorino. Nothing beats Ferrari paint jobs. It looks awesome! I asked what the waxes were, and they said that it was a "special mix". He told me that they are industrial products offered only to body shops and custom shops and costs a fortune. I asked how much this wax job would cost if I called up and asked for it. The owner said that he does not do this for just "anyone" nor does he advertise this kind of work to the public. They handle very high end cars, and are particular about their customers. I have had my cars repaired there many times over the last 15 years and they do supreme work and craftsmanship. I would have gladly paid $500 for the work they performed. I insisted on giving the technician a tip and snuck $200 in his shirt pocket. He appreciated the gesture.

The car looks fantastic now! I appreciate all of your advice in helping me. It turns out it was calcium rich water runoff that someone else thought it might be. The recommendation from the technician was to wax every 3 months, clay bar and then 2 coats of wax every 6 months since I live in the northeast. He said that a good kit you can buy out there that will do a really good job is offered by Meguiar's. He said that there is a kit that includes Gold Class Shampoo, a 25g Smooth Surface Clay Bar, clear coat safe Ultimate Compound, and Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Wax. I went to the local auto parts store and bought it on my way home so I will have it for next time.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM

Your bad experiences with dealerships may not be mine, the fellas treat me great. Often things of this nature are taken care of for me with little or no cost. A few months ago they fixed a bent rim for me without keeping it or cost. Had claybar done at a low-low price. And I have to say it was an amazing difference, about time to have it done again too.

then i guess either you had a lucky streak or just around your area.. but a lot of people been having horrible service with dealers especially when they wash your car or do repairs.. they take forever..

but all in all, for white spots on your car, no need to take to dealer. they will charge you because its not their fault, but your own.

clay bar then buff, it should clean it out.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:31 PM

Update:

I ran down to my preferred body shop and showed them the car. The owner and a technician came out with some compound and cleaned it all up in about 20 minutes. They took the car into the shop and applied a "pre-wax" to the whole side of the car, and then waxed the entire car with three different types of wax compounds. I told them this was not needed as I could and would wax it myself, but they insisted. The car looks better now than the day I picked it up on February 28th! I have never seen depth in paint like this with exception of my friend's 599 GTB Fiorino. Nothing beats Ferrari paint jobs. It looks awesome! I asked what the waxes were, and they said that it was a "special mix". He told me that they are industrial products offered only to body shops and custom shops and costs a fortune. I asked how much this wax job would cost if I called up and asked for it. The owner said that he does not do this for just "anyone" nor does he advertise this kind of work to the public. They handle very high end cars, and are particular about their customers. I have had my cars repaired there many times over the last 15 years and they do supreme work and craftsmanship. I would have gladly paid $500 for the work they performed. I insisted on giving the technician a tip and snuck $200 in his shirt pocket. He appreciated the gesture.

The car looks fantastic now! I appreciate all of your advice in helping me. It turns out it was calcium rich water runoff that someone else thought it might be. The recommendation from the technician was to wax every 3 months, clay bar and then 2 coats of wax every 6 months since I live in the northeast. He said that a good kit you can buy out there that will do a really good job is offered by Meguiar's. He said that there is a kit that includes Gold Class Shampoo, a 25g Smooth Surface Clay Bar, clear coat safe Ultimate Compound, and Meguiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Wax. I went to the local auto parts store and bought it on my way home so I will have it for next time.

point proven, no need to go to dealership for this
Old 03-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

then i guess either you had a lucky streak or just around your area.. but a lot of people been having horrible service with dealers especially when they wash your car or do repairs.. they take forever..

but all in all, for white spots on your car, no need to take to dealer. they will charge you because its not their fault, but your own.

clay bar then buff, it should clean it out.

I suppose, I started with Acura in Pennsylvania, then North Carolina, Georgia, Maryland, and Georgia again and I've never had an issue. Maybe it's my magnetic personality
Old 03-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

point proven, no need to go to dealership for this

If you find a hook up spot stick with it...some of mine just happen to be, Stealerships...perhaps it's an honor among thieves thing I dunna na know?...
Old 03-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Update:

Wish my detail guy was that cool...think mine has a meth habit.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Moneyman2011

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Wish my detail guy was that cool...think mine has a meth habit.

This shop is a certified repair shop for Bentley, Lamborghini, Ferarri, Aston Martin, Mercedes Benz, Audi, and Porshe. They do not mess around. In fact, their technicians wear clean suits to make sure they are not bringing in dirt into the facility. Before a car gets painted there, it goes through two air chambers (one to clean the dust off, and one where they do the painting). The painting booth is a "down draft electrostatic" room. It is similiar to the ones used in the OEM paint booths for Ferarri (it was modeled off of it).

They had several high end cars there that were getting worked on, one of them was a black Veyron with a scratch on the bumper. I asked how much it was going to take to fix that, and I was told more than $12,000. Wow!

I should take some pictures of my car and show you what they did. It probably will not show just how amazing the paint looks.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
A few years ago I had this happen at work, they were spraying the building and over spray got allover my car. Clay bar took care of it and then laid nice coat of wax on it. Truly is amazing what clar bar can do even for a new car, very impressive!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
I remember when an apartment complex's wooden/painted gate arm came down on the top of my car, it left paint on there that no amount of washing/elbow grease could take off. I thought the paint was scraped off initially. One of my friends suggested I just wipe it with brake fluid and then wash it off immediately. It worked immediately with just one or two wipes and I washed the car immediately afterwards. lol.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happens in my garage at work also. I found a solution on the internet which is a cup of white vinegar mixed into a gallon of water. The spots will come right off with no effort. It doesn't harm the paint either. Just remember to re-wax the area.