Sponsored by: DashLynx

Having buyer's remorse about 4g TL

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ll_22
Did you test drive the cars?

335 is a nice and popular car. Let us know how it compares when/if you get it, I'll be very curious to hear your thoughts.

I did test drive the cars. What made me choose the TL over the 335xi were two things -- 1) the backseat in the TL provides a little more leg room, and 2) a similarly equipped 335xi was $4k more than the TL so I thought the TL was a better value and included more for the money. The BMW however was incredibly fun to drive, especially with the low-end torque.

At this point I don't want to spend more than what I did on the TL so I am honestly asking myself if I think I would be happy with a 335i or a 328i and not have the AWD.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by btomcik
I did test drive the cars. What made me choose the TL over the 335xi were two things -- 1) the backseat in the TL provides a little more leg room, and 2) a similarly equipped 335xi was $4k more than the TL so I thought the TL was a better value and included more for the money. The BMW however was incredibly fun to drive, especially with the low-end torque.

At this point I don't want to spend more than what I did on the TL so I am honestly asking myself if I think I would be happy with a 335i or a 328i and not have the AWD.
If you're really curious, why don't you find a way to rent a 3 series for a few days and see if this is something that is worth trading up for. There are some high-end/luxury rental car companies that have Bimmers, Mercedes, etc. in their fleet for rent. It may be expensive but it will definately answer a lot of questions for you and put your mind at ease. A test-drive at a dealer just may not be enough.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Racer

Life IS short. Buy what makes you happy. Even if it costs more. Do you have other long term plans for your money?

Retirement? Who is to say you would make it that far? And even if you did, by the time you are retired, that will be the time for a slower car.

I traded in my (07) TL for a (07) 550i. I lost 13 grand on the trade in and the BMW will cost me an additional 21 grand over the next 5 years. But I am very happy. No regrets here.

The wife will have no choice but to understand...she can't stay mad at you forever.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:04 AM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Yes I turned it around but it looked so damn stupid and it just pissed me off every time I looked at it. Plus if I were rear-ended, my head would go pretty far back before it hit the restraint. That's when I then got the used 2004 TSX headrests, which improved the situation, but I still have some shoulder/neck soreness after driving for 30-45 minutes.

I get pissed everytime I get in the car and see the headrests because it reminds me that I spent $40k on a luxury car only to have had major comfort issues to the point where I had to either take out the headrests completely (safety issue), turn the headrests around (looked assinine and still a safety issue), or buy some used headrests from a previous model year (leather and stiching don't match, not that I expected it too totally but now I'm just disappointed with the whole situation.)
Not to be a dick or nothing but shouldn't that have been something you would look into before you actually sat down and filled out the paper work? I mean didn't you test drive the car or something
Old 04-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Here's the original thread on the headrests:
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/headrest-issues-765816/

Some people have comfort issues like me, others not. It varies from driver to driver.

I am disappointed with those things I mentioned about the car and at least at this point the grass seems greener and I really do wonder if I'd be happier in a BMW. But there are things I do like about the car as well, so who knows.
I wonder if it's the short people... I'm 6'2" and my seat leans back a ways so that my head does not hit the roof. The headrest are at least a fist size back from my head. If I were to lean back and put my head on it, I'd be looking straight out at the sun visor. Maybe try to tilt the seat back (not the seat back, but the entire seat tilts, that will probably help the headrest.)

That and a 335xi is going to be MUCH more comparably equipped. It's an amazing car, but I can't believe it's only a few grand more... maybe if you don't include comfort access, nav, sports package... but then it's not really comparably equipped. The ones I looked at were all 10k more than the TL, quite a jump. If I was leasing I wouldn't even think about it, I would have got the 335, but since I need to keep from swapping cars every 2 years, the TL was for me.

Last edited by Pete2010; 04-27-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by eazy
Not to be a dick or nothing but shouldn't that have been something you would look into before you actually sat down and filled out the paper work? I mean didn't you test drive the car or something

Nah you're not being a dick. Honest question. Yes I test drove the car three times about 20-30 minutes each time. I have asked myself if this is something I should have caught at that time when I test drove the car. I don't think it is because when you're test driving a car you're concerned about all sorts of things like not getting into an accident with a car you've never driven before, how it drives, the sound system, listening to the salesman, going over all teh features of the tech package, etc. I adjusted the seats to what seemed comfortable at the time and it wasn't a problem.

But it was only after I bought the car and drove it every day that I was able to truly tweak the seat positions to something comfortable as possible and that's when the headrest issue came up.

Like I said before, there's no one to blame but me on this one.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
I agree with Pete....rent one. Even go to a BMW dealer and ask if you can use one of their service loaners for a day or two...even if it costs a couple hundred to do so.

I think what you're going to find out, once you start adding up the options like Nav, nice stereo, etc, it's going to cost about 2X-3X more than $4K to get a 335ix. A 328ix? Maybe a little less. I think you'll also start to miss some of the features the TL has, that the BMW doesn't if you go for something less feature rich.

I mentioned that when I was irritated with Acura, I actually looked to trade my TL SH AWD with just a few hundred miles on it for a new 335Ix loaded similarly to my TL. Even with just a few hundred miles on the TL, it would have cost me about $14K to do that trade. And, for what? A smaller car that, while a bit faster than the TL, is not as nice in other areas (including seat comfort).

To get something of a similar size as the TL (with the room you mentioned you liked) you can look at the new Infiniti M, which is supposed to be very nice. There again, you're looking at a $12k-$15K hit to do so.

You might want to drive a Taurus SHO. A friend of mine just bought one. Very nice cars. While I wouldn't sneeze at having one, his has the massaging seats. I was happy to get back into my TL after driving his. But, I think he paid something north of $42K for his. That represented an $8K-$10K hit...trading for a Taurus (albeit a very nice one).

If you're stuck on BMW, maybe look at something used, a year or two old CPO 5 Series.

I dunno. Maybe it's me. I just can't stomach the idea of throwing at least $10K+ right out the window to trade out. Believe me, I thought long and hard about doing so. I'd take a long time, adjust the seats every which way they can be adjusted, to find the right "comfort" level for me.

I'm 5'10", about 175 lbs. I find the TL's seats supremely comfortable. That was one of the selling points for me. I don't even notice the headrests.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Only 4? The ones I looked at were at least 8k more than the TL comparably equipped.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
I traded in a 2009 Lexus IS 250 AWD at 4000 miles...Absolutely hated that car. Became so dam uncomfortable I couldn't drive it without pain; the most uncomfortable car ever. Dam AWD hump caused for my right leg/knee/hip to hurt; couldn't walk without my right leg hurting or not popping. Add to that a useless nav, and poor visibility. .
My daughter has an IS250. I've driven it many times including trips a bit longer than an hour. I agree. It's a great car for her (5'2" 110lbs), but it's not a guy car. Can't explain it exactly. It just doesn't 'fit' you if you are 5'8" or more
Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

I don't suggest you pay more than what you can afford just because you like it.

And if you live in Ohio then I would recomment AWD, but consider snows on a RWD car.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

By the way, do you not like the G37x? It was updated for 2010 and I just priced one out on the site for kicks; it came in at $42,850 plus destination, taxes, licensing, bleh bleh.

And that's everything, like the technology package, sport package, the works. You get a 7-speed and a nearly 330 horsepower V-6. And if it's space you're concerne about it has a larger trunk than the TL and almost one more cubic foot of interior volume, so there's no real size downsidem just less weight!

Also consider the CC or upcoming Regal GS. Like I also recommended, wait for the 2012 3-Series because you might like that a lot more.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
My daughter has an IS250. I've driven it many times including trips a bit longer than an hour. I agree. It's a great car for her (5'2" 110lbs), but it's not a guy car. Can't explain it exactly. It just doesn't 'fit' you if you are 5'8" or more
That was my biggest gripe with the IS250. I really like the body style and interior but it was just way to small overall in everything for any avg sized adult. The backseat was completely useless for passengers and only as an extended trunk, then trunk was pretty small too!

At least with the TSX, it might be a tight squeeze but I was able to get back there and sit pretty comfortably if you had to. The trunk wasn't a bad size for its class but it could not compared to the rear room and trunk you get in the A4 which I believe is just about the same size as the TSX!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ductman
My Audi Q5 was repurchased due to transmission issues, the price for their maintenance is ridiculous, try 1000 for front or rear brake pads as rotors have to be replaced, I have never seen so many customers with check engine lights at service, I would hate to see any after warranty costs, to me it is not the fact the car is under warranty but
how many times you have to take it to the dealership, that fact alone is annoying, no vehicle is trouble free but you are more likely to receive a trouble free Acura verse a trouble free Audi.
This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm tired of reading about with Audi and what scares a lot of potential buyers from going to them. I really love the Q5. I love the size, the sporty exterior, gorgeous interior and it has nice luxury equipment packages reasonably priced and I would love to get this over a RX350 but its the reliability I'm concerned about. Even if your under warranty, that can be just as bad if you have to constantly take it in for warranty work, even if Audi is paying for everything. If I went with an Audi ever, I probably would lease it. If anything went wrong during those 3-4 years, I definitely would not keep it and look else where. I think that is your better bet in Audi right now rather than buying it outright or financing it! Just my !
Old 04-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
I wonder if it's the short people... I'm 6'2" and my seat leans back a ways so that my head does not hit the roof. The headrest are at least a fist size back from my head. If I were to lean back and put my head on it, I'd be looking straight out at the sun visor. Maybe try to tilt the seat back (not the seat back, but the entire seat tilts, that will probably help the headrest.)

That and a 335xi is going to be MUCH more comparably equipped. It's an amazing car, but I can't believe it's only a few grand more... maybe if you don't include comfort access, nav, sports package... but then it's not really comparably equipped. The ones I looked at were all 10k more than the TL, quite a jump. If I was leasing I wouldn't even think about it, I would have got the 335, but since I need to keep from swapping cars every 2 years, the TL was for me.
Don't think it's short people. I'm 5'8 and I think they're perfect.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
Don't think it's short people. I'm 5'8 and I think they're perfect.
I'm 5'9" and it's also perfect.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Correct, that statement about a 3 series being a few thousand more is wrong. In fact, generally I find you should expect to pay about 20% more for a comparably equiped BMW over an Acura. A comparably equiped 335 compared to a TL SHAWD will be in the mid 50's.

As a result, most people buy them "stripped" down because of that major cost difference so they still have a comparable car payments and get to drive an amazing machine. Only problem is that if you really value the creature comforts of luxury you won't be happy becaues you will be driving a car that has the luxury appointments of a Corolla. Most 3's on the road don't even have real leather.

Having said that, you can't always just go by MSRP when cross shopping. often times BMW offers some killer deals on leases and usually inflates the residual also. It's not uncommon to see the residual on a 36/36 lease in the 60's.

If you are leasing, definitely do the negotiating first on your monthly payment before disregarding it even if it's $10k more on the windows sticker
Old 04-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
By the way, do you not like the G37x? It was updated for 2010 and I just priced one out on the site for kicks; it came in at $42,850 plus destination, taxes, licensing, bleh bleh.

And that's everything, like the technology package, sport package, the works. You get a 7-speed and a nearly 330 horsepower V-6. And if it's space you're concerne about it has a larger trunk than the TL and almost one more cubic foot of interior volume, so there's no real size downsidem just less weight!

Also consider the CC or upcoming Regal GS. Like I also recommended, wait for the 2012 3-Series because you might like that a lot more.
I agree here. The G is an awesome value as oposed to the 3 series. I look at the TL a little different because of size but if it's that kind of smaller sporty car you are leaning towards the G is a great option.

I disagree with the interior volume. With a sunroof equipped G, the standrad sunroof equipped TL has more interior volume, that is cargo and passenger volume combined. It's 110.7 as opposed to 110. The TL has less cargo by itself but has 1.7 ft more passenger volume alone.

Only 4? The ones I looked at were at least 8k more than the TL comparably equipped.
Ya, it's more like $56.6k for a 335xi with leather, pearl paint, 7AT, all the packages like in the TL, excluding the M sport stuff. Harman Kardon, satellite radio, 18 in rims option in the sport package, navi, and ipod and USB. It only has a hand full of features more, but also some less. That is absolutely ridiculous for only a 3 series. It's amazing what they make you pay for. The 5 series the same way is only another $5k-$6k, with the blowouts that are going on with them to make room for the new gen, you are better off getting the 5.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I agree here. The G is an awesome value as oposed to the 3 series. I look at the TL a little different because of size but if it's that kind of smaller sporty car you are leaning towards the G is a great option.

I disagree with the interior volume. With a sunroof equipped G, the standrad sunroof equipped TL has more interior volume, that is cargo and passenger volume combined. It's 110.7 as opposed to 110. The TL has less cargo by itself but has 1.7 ft more passenger volume alone.

Ya, it's more like $56.6k for a 335xi with leather, pearl paint, 7AT, all the packages like in the TL, excluding the M sport stuff. Harman Kardon, satellite radio, 18 in rims option in the sport package, navi, and ipod and USB. It only has a hand full of features more, but also some less. That is absolutely ridiculous for only a 3 series. It's amazing what they make you pay for. The 5 series the same way is only another $5k-$6k, with the blowouts that are going on with them to make room for the new gen, you are better off getting the 5.
Agreed, the G37 is a great value when compared to the 3-Series and your getting that higher resale value and long term reliability, though the 3 has the free maintenance program the first 4 years so the first 4-5 years that cost savings will probably go to the 3-series though.

I thought the G37 felt cramped inside. That felt big compared to what it was like in the 3-Series. My God, it be fun for a few hours and gives you that sport car feel but I could not take that cramped in feeling day in and day out!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

I really liked the G37 but I'm just waitin for the new 2013 cars to come out.

Acura TSX

BMW 3-Series

Cadillac ATS

Cadillac CTS

Infiniti G

Lexus IS

It's gonna be a great year!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Acura TSX

BMW 3-Series

Cadillac ATS

Cadillac CTS

Infiniti G

Lexus IS

Very true, I'm waiting for the redesign G too! I really like the current one but the lack of width turned me off and the ride was even firmer, even without the sport package, then the TL both 3 and 4G! Infiniti has some minor issues with this new 7th spd automatic with hunting and pecking for gears apparently but someone at my Infiniti dealer told me that Infiniti is going to have all the kinks worked out for the 3G G!

I thought the 3-Series was having a redone for 2011? or is that just a mid-life refreshing thing?
Old 04-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by smarty666
Very true, I'm waiting for the redesign G too! I really like the current one but the lack of width turned me off and the ride was even firmer, even without the sport package, then the TL both 3 and 4G! Infiniti has some minor issues with this new 7th spd automatic with hunting and pecking for gears apparently but someone at my Infiniti dealer told me that Infiniti is going to have all the kinks worked out for the 3G G!

I thought the 3-Series was having a redone for 2011? or is that just a mid-life refreshing thing?
Yeah those were some of the reasons I didn't buy the G37 when it was new for 2009. Overall it drove better than my TL, ride quality aside. The interior also felt like a downgrade. Factor in that it was missing that last whiff of refinement and I just didn't quite bite, but I'd totally recommend one.

3-Series gets a couple of model and equipment shufflings, but nothing big. Just streamlining the lineup before it's replaced.

Honestly I'm more excited about the new 3-Series and ATS than anything else. I figure Lexus and Acura will keep screwing up but I shall remain patient.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mycarisntinmywifesname
yeah those were some of the reasons i didn't buy the g37 when it was new for 2009. Overall it drove better than my tl, ride quality aside. The interior also felt like a downgrade. Factor in that it was missing that last whiff of refinement and i just didn't quite bite, but i'd totally recommend one.

3-series gets a couple of model and equipment shufflings, but nothing big. Just streamlining the lineup before it's replaced.

Honestly i'm more excited about the new 3-series and ats than anything else. I figure lexus and acura will keep screwing up but i shall remain patient.
+1
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Just don't price out the 335is... that bitch is like 63k fully loaded... i mean seriously that M3 territory... I guess they'll do anything to keep up with the S4.

Acura TSX

BMW 3-Series

Cadillac ATS

Cadillac CTS

Infiniti G

Lexus IS

2013? Or you mean 2011, cause otherwise you're going to be waiting a while...

Is the Caddy ATS that new coupe, because that's going to be my buddy's next new car, it's hawt.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

2013? Or you mean 2011, cause otherwise you're going to be waiting a while...

Is the Caddy ATS that new coupe, because that's going to be my buddy's next new car, it's hawt.
No I meant 2013. So yeah I still have to wait over two years but nothing tickles my fancy just enough for me to bite on a finance offer. I suppose I could do a two year lease but I don't care enough lol.

I think you're referring to the CTS Coupe. The ATS is the new 3-Series/C-Class sized Cadillac to compete with those cars. The new CTS will bulk up to compete with the 5-Series/E-Class, and the STS goes buh bye.

Hopefully it comes with the 2.8 turbo. I love that engine.