Has anyone dynoed an AWD TL yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone dynoed an AWD TL yet?

I was wondering because I had dynoed my MDX and wanted to know what the AWD TL's were putting down...stock? modded? and so on thanks.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dynoed? What's dynoed?
Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
I'm interested in how much power your MDX actually put down!

bmode, when you take a car to a dyno, you are basically testing how much power the car really has. Most of the time it's measured at the wheels. After the dyno, you will get a graph showing how much power and torque your car vs the engine speed.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bmode
Dynoed? What's dynoed?
Chassis dynamometer

A chassis dynamometer measures power delivered to the surface of the "drive roller" by the drive wheels. The vehicle is often parked on the roller or rollers, which the car then turns and the output is measured.

Modern roller type chassis dyne systems use the Salvisberg roller[1], which improved traction and repeatability over smooth or knurled drive rollers.

On a motorcycle, typical power loss at higher power levels, mostly through tire flex, is about 10%and gearbox chain and other power transferring parts are another 2% to 5%.

Other types of chassis dynamometers are available that eliminate the potential wheel slippage on old style drive rollers and attach directly to the vehicle's hubs for direct torque measurement from the axle. Hub mounted dynos include units made by Dynapack and Rototest.

Chassis dynos can be fixed or portable.

Saab 96 on chassis dynamometer

Modern chassis dynamometers can do much more than display RPM, horsepower, and torque. With modern electronics and quick reacting,low inertia dyne systems, it is now possible to tune to best power and the smoothest runs, in realtime.

It is also common to, on a retail level, with a wideband oxygen sensor, graphed along with RPM, to "tune to an air fuel ratio".

Some, like Dynojet and others, can also add vehicle diagnostic information to the dyno graph as well. This is done by gathering data directly from the vehicle using on-board diagnostics communication.

Because of frictional and mechanical losses in the various drivetrain components, the measured rear wheel brake horsepower is generally 15-20 percent less than the brake horsepower measured at the crankshaft or flywheel on an engine dynamometer.[2] Other sources, after researching several different "engine" dyno software packages, found that the engine dyno user can integrally add "frictional loss" channel factors of +10% to +15% to the flywheel power, raising the claim that 20% to 25% or even more power is actually lost between the crankshaft at high power outputs.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamometer#cite_note-0
Old 12-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by iforyou
I'm interested in how much power your MDX actually put down!

bmode, when you take a car to a dyno, you are basically testing how much power the car really has. Most of the time it's measured at the wheels. After the dyno, you will get a graph showing how much power and torque your car vs the engine speed.
On DynoDynamics Load set at 130, dyno put down 159whp 149 TQ,added a K&N filter and the difference was small,the stock intake works good on the MDX.
This week I did some custom exhaust work,remove the stock J-pipe,removed the third cat and the pipe behind it.
I installed a true duel exhaust system with an X-pipe right before where the third cat was into the stock duel resonators and mufflers.
The results on the same dyno with load at 130 was 172.6 HP and 160 TQ.
The part throttle driving is really nice and in V-TEC it rips to redline nicely.
The noise difference is barely none at all,the stock mufflers have the backpressure valve that opens at 3900 rpm's straight out,you can see the tube inside the mufflers
I will have pete post the graph's up.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:22 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

wow, that's a pretty decent increase of power. But 159whp...hmmm that dyno reads pretty low...doesn't it...
Old 12-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Intermediate

wow, that's a pretty decent increase of power. But 159whp...hmmm that dyno reads pretty low...doesn't it...
Yes it does read low.It can be calibrated to read higher like dynojet numbers or Mustang dyno numbers.The Torque curve is nice and feels great to!Just spoke with Pete he will post up the sheet tomorrow,I would like to see a AWD TL on this dyno to see what it puts down.I'm sure everyone would to.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, it's going to be a good comparison. Did Pete use the same dyno as you did?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:34 AM
Intermediate

Yea, it's going to be a good comparison. Did Pete use the same dyno as you did?
Sorry pete is the guy with the dyno,we used the same dyno on my car before and after mods on exhaust.
If there is anyone with an AWD TL that would like to meet up I would go with them and dyno same time to see what they are putting down.Long Island NY.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Cruisin'

dyno sheet

Here is the dyno runs for Peter's Acura MDX.
I noted on the dyno sheet which runs were from stock-drop in filter-exhaust. These dyno runs were all done on the exact same load setting(130).

Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Cruisin'

Feel free to ask me any questions related to the dyno sheet. Please do not critique on how my dyno reads. If anyone has knowledge on this particular dyno, they should know it is the lowest reading dyno. There are a few different options regarding the power it "could" or "should" make, but I choose NOT to use any corrections factors. It Is what it is. Thank You.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Those are smooth curves after 4500rpm, but what's going with those 3 spikes form 3750 - 4500rpm?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Cruisin'

I am sure Peter will explain when he gets a chance to come online. I do know it has something to do with v-tec or the Intake Manifold. Correct me if I am wrong Peter.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
What are the MDX's numbers at the crank? Isn't it around 300 or something? It's losing a lot of power to the drivetrain. Almost too much.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
What are the MDX's numbers at the crank? Isn't it around 300 or something? It's losing a lot of power to the drivetrain. Almost too much.
You have to take a few things into consideration:

1. The car is AWD
2. It is an SUV
3. It has big heavy tires
4. It is an AUTOMATIC
5. The testing was done on the lowest reading dyno

I have seen tire/rim combos take away as much as 30whp!
It is obvious that an AWD car will lose more whp/wtq than a fwd/rwd car. Add 15-18% on your average dynojet.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Intermediate

Those are smooth curves after 4500rpm, but what's going with those 3 spikes form 3750 - 4500rpm?
We think that might have something to do with the converter locking up,and V-tec engaging all at different times we did alot of pulls and Peter managed to repeat the 172.3 run 3 times,with intake manifold temps averaging 100 degrees.It was consistant 172.6,172.3,172.4.So the spikes were always there on every run we made,and we did a bunch of runs stock to was the same??
As far as dyno's go in my experience I had my evo put down 618 whp at 29psi pump gas on dyno jet then,same day on dynodynamics made 579,then 2 days later on Mustang made 584 all at the same boost levels and 93 octane.They all read differently Pete's dyno was the same settings when I ran my MDX stock and then with the exhaust mods so it was good to see the gains that I made with the mods we have done.
I am still amazed what my but dyno tells me when I punch it.I am now looking foward to replaceing the stock resenators and mufflers with high flow units...and then back to the dyno again to see if we gained any at all.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

thanks for the explanation.

SebringSilver, the MDX is rated at 300hp by Acura.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
thanks for the explanation.

SebringSilver, the MDX is rated at 300hp by Acura.
Thanks! That's what I recall. I also recall taking an MDX for a test drive about a year and a half ago. It gets up and goes. I really liked it.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Intermediate

All we need now is a AWD TL to see what they are dynoing at I am very curious I'm sure alot of people are to.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
DG Motors - Where are you located? I found a website with the same name, and if it's the one I found I'm very close. I'm curious as to what my TL is putting down.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CleanCL
DG Motors - Where are you located? I found a website with the same name, and if it's the one I found I'm very close. I'm curious as to what my TL is putting down.

We are located in Lindenhurst NY.
Did you happen to look at this website?
Click Link: DG Motors
If you did, that is us!

Peter is very curious to see what a TL puts down. I would preferably like to do a stock baseline run, then do a drop in filter to see how the TL compares to the MDX. Dyno rates will be drastically reduced if you can make the trip.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Dg Motors
We are located in Lindenhurst NY.
Did you happen to look at this website?
Click Link: DG Motors
If you did, that is us!

Peter is very curious to see what a TL puts down. I would preferably like to do a stock baseline run, then do a drop in filter to see how the TL compares to the MDX. Dyno rates will be drastically reduced if you can make the trip.
Yup, that's the place I found, checked it out. I've only got about 850 miles on the car, think I should wait for the first oil change?

I want to get a baseline, then do the drop-in as well... but I haven't yet pulled out my filter to check on the size.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Cruisin'

Yup, that's the place I found, checked it out. I've only got about 850 miles on the car, think I should wait for the first oil change?

I want to get a baseline, then do the drop-in as well... but I haven't yet pulled out my filter to check on the size.
We started testing our Evo X with 7 miles on it right out of the dealer! The car also had full bolt-ons before our first oil change. If i was you, I would grab a filter and go for it. We can set up a time whenever, I believe we did Peter's MDX on a Saturday after noon which would make weekends fine.

I'm assuming your from Long Island?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Dg Motors
We started testing our Evo X with 7 miles on it right out of the dealer! The car also had full bolt-ons before our first oil change. If i was you, I would grab a filter and go for it. We can set up a time whenever, I believe we did Peter's MDX on a Saturday after noon which would make weekends fine.

I'm assuming your from Long Island?
Nice. Ok, I will measure up the filter tonight and see if I can find the proper K&N (they still do not have it listed on the website). I'm only about 20 mins north of you guys. Once I have the filter I will call up to schedule some time to test.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Cruisin'

Nice. Ok, I will measure up the filter tonight and see if I can find the proper K&N (they still do not have it listed on the website). I'm only about 20 mins north of you guys. Once I have the filter I will call up to schedule some time to test.
Sounds like a plan sir. Peter and I will be happy to see the results. I hope everyone else subscribes to this thread.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

wow sounds like we will see the results pretty soon!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Cruisin'

wow sounds like we will see the results pretty soon!
It is all up to CleanCL. All we need from his part is to find a K&N air filter and make it out here.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Tomorrow the MDX is getting high flow resenators and mufflers,when it's done will redyno going to have Pete post up pics to.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

Nice Peter. Should be an interesting test. Eager to see and hear improvements.

We have to get some pictures of that previous exhaust work. Top notch work.

We may even be going up to CT Tomorrow, I will pay for gas..........................
Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

OK well this has been a bit of a challenge finding a filter, mainly because K&N's search by dimensions are not working for me.

Here is what I got:
Overall Length: 10.25"
Overall Width: 8"
Height: The total is 2", but if I measure the way K&N pictures their measurements (from the lip of the seal to the bottom of the filter) it would be 1.5".

I couldn't find anything by searching for those sizes on Google. The best I could come up with this:
33-2934 (05-09 Kia 4cyl/6cyl)
10.25x8x1.125

Larger Image: http://www.kandn.com/images/l/33-2934.jpg

33-2403 (08 Accord 3.5L)
10.25x8x1

Larger Image: http://www.kandn.com/images/l/33-2403.jpg

Now logic says go with the Accord filter, but the fact that mine is AT LEAST 1.5" I felt going with the thicker one is probably better. I don't think the height is all that important because the seal part of the filter sits on the top of the box so it gets locked into place. Also the Kia filter appears to resemble the stock filter the closest and appears to have more surface area than the Accord filter. I put the order in for the 33-2934, should have it in a few days.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweeeet nice work Clean. Could you video the experience and Youtube it?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cleancl
ok well this has been a bit of a challenge finding a filter, mainly because k&n's search by dimensions are not working for me.

Here is what i got:
Overall length: 10.25"
overall width: 8"
height: The total is 2", but if i measure the way k&n pictures their measurements (from the lip of the seal to the bottom of the filter) it would be 1.5".

I couldn't find anything by searching for those sizes on google. The best i could come up with this:
33-2934 (05-09 kia 4cyl/6cyl)
10.25x8x1.125

larger image: http://www.kandn.com/images/l/33-2934.jpg

33-2403 (08 accord 3.5l)
10.25x8x1

larger image: http://www.kandn.com/images/l/33-2403.jpg

now logic says go with the accord filter, but the fact that mine is at least 1.5" i felt going with the thicker one is probably better. I don't think the height is all that important because the seal part of the filter sits on the top of the box so it gets locked into place. Also the kia filter appears to resemble the stock filter the closest and appears to have more surface area than the accord filter. I put the order in for the 33-2934, should have it in a few days.
you have a pm.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 AM
Cruisin'

Nice, looks like we are in business.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wavehogger
Sweeeet nice work Clean. Could you video the experience and Youtube it?
Yes that will be done to and we'll get some good pics to.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Cruisin'

Custom MDX Exhaust

Here are some pictures Peter, his friend, and I took tonight of Peter's Acura MDX at my shop. Peter noted that he was going to add "high flow" resonators and mufflers, and that is exactly what he did. We will have more dyno testing done this weekend. Here are some pictures of this beautiful custom exhaust.Remember that the car was dyno tested with the custom downpipe and x-pipe. We will be testing the high flow resonators and mufflers.

Here is the custom downpipe that will connect with a very nice X pipe.

Top notch welds.......

True dual exhaust running into high flow resonators.

High flow resonators with heavy duty thick hangers for extra strength.

Another shot of the thick hangers used. This one to support one of the high flow mufflers.

Oval blended tips with a nice touch. 110% better looking than stock.

Like I stated above, we will have dyno results for everyone this weekend. Peter and I are excited to do some real world testing on the first full true dual exhaust!

Please do not mind some of the pictures as they came out a little blury. I can garuntee the dyno sheets will be perfect! Stay tuned as we will be making a video of this next dyno session!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:26 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

wow, that looks really nice!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Cruisin'

It will be interesting to see if we can achieve some better results.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I just got the call... the K&N I ordered arrived. I will pick it up tonight and pop it in even if it is raining. ;] Hopefully it fits.

09MDX - I didn't forget about you, just been crazy with work because I"m taking off for a week and I'm trying to tie up loose ends.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

I just got the call... the K&N I ordered arrived. I will pick it up tonight and pop it in even if it is raining. ;] Hopefully it fits.

09MDX - I didn't forget about you, just been crazy with work because I"m taking off for a week and I'm trying to tie up loose ends.
Ok no problem hope that filter fits, and Saturday afternoon we'll meet up at DG for the dyno runs.So when you can give me a shout.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Sorry guys, got the filter, but I wasn't expecting a monsoon! I will test the filter tonight after work. I may meet you guys even if it doesn't fit just to get a baseline.

Quick Reply: Has anyone dynoed an AWD TL yet?