Had my test drive today

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Had my test drive today

Finally got around to driven the ugly duckling. Out of the 3 acura's I think the TL is the worst with that big ugly grille. I own an 06 TSX, 06 Miata and lease an 06 RL so my review is based on my experience from driving these. First I want to point out, IMO the RL is one of the best value in the car industry. Its the only car I have ever driven that hards to find anything wrong. I have test driven everything from a smart car to Jaguar XF and the RL is still my car. I have read a few reviews on the 09 TL and no one had mentioned how cheap the sunshade is. My TSX has a padded sunshade whereas the TL is cheap plastic! I also noticed the window buttons are not as well made as the ones in my TSX. Cost cutting?? Anyway the 09 did not feel much different then the 05 TL I leased. I am not sure what is suppose to be better on this car. It is not as smooth as my RL. Though the car is fast, it was not engaging like a BMW or my miata. I did find the sound system was improved from the 3g, but to my ears its just good. The audio system in the RL is still better, and if you want wow factor in an audio system, listen to the Lexicon in the New Hyundai Genesis. Thats the best I have heard in a stock system. I also was suprised by the seats. I found the seats in my TSX to be more comfortable and had more bolster then the TL. Hopefully the new AWD version will be much better. I believe its suppose to have better seats.

I rolled the windows up and found the car to be fairly quiet. I would call the steering neutral. I did not notice the torque steer that the 3g has, so that is one improvement I noticed. I am sure the navi is better, although I drove the non tech version. I've driven the new RL so I know the two are similar. I did like the dash layout on the TL better than the 09 TSX which is just way too busy and honda Accord looking. Had my first experience with rain sensing wipers with the Saab and its a feature I would like to see on Acura's Anyway thats my take, and I am looking forward to the AWD version. Lease is up on the RL in March so gotta find something else soon.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
First I want to point out, IMO the RL is one of the best value in the car industry.
Shhhhhh, don't say that, people will start buying them! Then we'll have to teach more people the secret RL owner handshake!

Seriously, thanks for the review from the RL owner standpoint. I also value your opinion based on your test drive descriptions in the RL section. Are you going to test drive the SH-AWD version when available? That will be a more direct feature comparison to our beloved RL, which really is the best value ever, especially used, right now. *biased*

I am surprised to hear you say that the TL doesn't feel that different between the generations, especially when you see how great the interior looks in pictures.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Acuras Only in

If the 4G TL doesn't have any new grilles or rear-ends coming up, I might have to turn to RL for rescue ... LOL ... I'll be keeping my eyes on these things the next few years ..
Old 09-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Shhhhhh, don't say that, people will start buying them! Then we'll have to teach more people the secret RL owner handshake!
Better get the lessons ready Bob... http://finance.yahoo.com/loans/artic...to-Bargain-For

Old 09-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Seriously, thanks for the review from the RL owner standpoint. I also value your opinion based on your test drive descriptions in the RL section. Are you going to test drive the SH-AWD version when available? That will be a more direct feature comparison to our beloved RL, which really is the best value ever, especially used, right now. *biased*

I am surprised to hear you say that the TL doesn't feel that different between the generations, especially when you see how great the interior looks in pictures.
The interior is different. I do like the gauges but its not as refined looking as our RL, and I found the quality of the interior lacking for a car that is commanding more bucks. I was really shocked by the seats and suprised no one has mention that. Did anyone notice that the interior door handles were plastic! The ones on the 06 tsx are chrome metal. Is the TL trying to be a hyundai? Thats the game they play.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
fyi - the tech package contains a 440w ELS sound system, like the RL. and the awd comes with upgraded seats.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CleanCL
fyi - the tech package contains a 440w ELS sound system, like the RL. and the awd comes with upgraded seats.

Thanks for the info, I was not aware that there were two different sound systems in the TL. I was rather disappointed that I was not offered the tech package. However I will get a call when the AWD comes out. Depsite the new styling of the current Acura's they still offer very good value.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Compared to a 5 series, A6 or E Class, the TL is a real bargain...Not sure why they keep benchmarking against the 3 series...I guess they are waiting for the current RL to sunset.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Racer

I test drove the new TL yesterday. I must say I was not all that impressed. There was no, "wow" factor to it. From the looks to the horse power it was so so. That grill is nothing that will ever grow on me...it is huge and belongs on a truck. The technology is the plus side of the TL; Nice NAVI display, 40GB HD, Multi Aux Connections, Keyless Start and etc. Also there seems to be way to much going on as far as buttons on the steering wheel and console that clutters the cabin a little bit, IMO, The ride is smooth and more quiet than the previous model. Other than that I would not trade my 06 in for the 09.

For $40 grand I need to really appreciate the car from exterior to interior. There are some other options to look at before considering a TL. But all in all TL is a solid car. The TSX Looks better than than TL, IMO!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I was really shocked by the seats and suprised no one has mention that.
dwest, I did notice that too! I posted that in another thread. But I do hope the AWD does have upgraded seats.

Originally Posted by nhousepro
I test drove the new TL yesterday. I must say I was not all that impressed. There was no, "wow" factor to it. That grill is nothing that will ever grow on me...it is huge and belongs on a truck. Other than that I would not trade my 06 in for the 09.

For $40 grand I need to really appreciate the car from exterior to interior. There are some other options to look at before considering a TL. But all in all TL is a solid car. The TSX Looks better than than TL, IMO!
I'm with you on everything you've said above. I like the updated technology. But be careful my friend, the "Negative 4G Police" will get you!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nhousepro
The ride is smooth and more quiet than the previous model.
Lol. It would just about have to be.

Seriously though. Thanks to the OP for the post. The only comment I saw in the thread that I disagree with is the buttons. The tech TL looks to have very similar button layout as the Accord with NAV.

I will agree that the Accord without NAV has ridiculously large buttons, and that the TL without tech looks quite a bit better, but both cars with NAV have almost the same dash layout, and the TL is quite a bit busier on the steering wheel.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
I'm with you on everything you've said above. I like the updated technology. But be careful my friend, the "Negative 4G Police" will get you!
Eventually the thread needs to belong to the actual 4G owners, but the car is still new enough that its worth discussing as potential buyers.

What I don't get is the value everyone is putting on AWD. Saying its a $50K car because it has AWD. You can get a 2009 Subaru Legacy for $21K with AWD. So how does just adding AWD add $15K value to the TL when you can buy the whole darn car with AWD for $20K??
Old 10-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the info, I was not aware that there were two different sound systems in the TL. I was rather disappointed that I was not offered the tech package. However I will get a call when the AWD comes out. Depsite the new styling of the current Acura's they still offer very good value.
to one of your comments prior, on acura's website their listing the tech package to also have chrome door handle trim. originally it was listed that the AWD model came with sport seats, and now acura.com is listing the tech package to come with sport seats. i know my brochure lists the AWD to have the sports seats. very confusing, acura seems to be confused themselves.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The seats in the Tech package and in AWD versions are the same. (according to my dealer)
Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Ah ok, that makes sense. I sat in a base TL with Tech, but the seats didn't look like the upgrade seats shown in the brochure, so i'm not sure. Maybe since it was a display it wasn't exactly 100%. A few other minor things didn't seem to fit according to what the teach package actually lists like the Chrome door handles.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

I didn't drive, but I saw the new TL in the dealership. It looks too big and it stands too high. It didn't impress me from any view. Especially the side view is so "regular". On the photo below it seems that black car has an "original" TL creek on the side and it looks much better than "fat" grey one:
Old 10-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DavidJuch
...On the photo below it seems that black car has an "original" TL creek on the side and it looks much better than "fat" grey one:
Oldest trick in the book: to look slimmer, wear black!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
- The new TL sits lower than 3G TL.
- Also, the sun roof is now smaller. Noticable when you look up.
- The interior head room is lower (look out anyone over 6 feet tall).
- And the fuel door sit way high on the side of the car and the door is HUGE. Looks silly.
- Trunk looks WAAYYYY small. I didn't try golf bag but am sure that it wouldn't fit.
- Also, Paddle shifters are more work than one handed drive-by-wire on 3G TL's.

I seriously ignored all the "design" critisim before the release and thought I'd like it but once I touched it in person at the dealer yesterday, I don't think I will buy it. Acutally, I know I won't buy it. I'd take the new RL instead if I'm going to stay with Acura. But that's a lot of cabbage just to stay with Acura.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:16 PM
2019 RDX Tech SH-AWD

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts
I like the RL, but at 50k it seems too expensive. Not that it isn't worth it but it just doesn't have an expensive look about it. Maybe that's why Acura is only selling about 650 RL's a month? I'd buy a used one though, a one or two year old is a great value.