Is it good to use teflon on leather Upholstery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Is it good to use teflon on leather Upholstery?

I just bought a 2010 Base TL and the dealer is offering me a cleaning and detailing package for my car when I send it in for the first service...

so... I'm wondering if they put teflon on the leather will it be all shinny and greasy?

P.S sorry for my bad english.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
NO!

First, teflon can only be applied with high heat to bond to a surface. I doubt that's what they're doing to apply whatever they're applying. I can almost guarantee whatever it is they're putting on the seats is little more than $10 worth of leather protectant that you can get at any auto parts store.

Usually the dealer's warranty for those applications is dependent upon you renewing it every year or so (at a charge to you). Plus, they are exclusions.

Read the fine print very carefully on it.

No reason that anyone should buy any of the dealership exterior or interior "protection packages". All they amount to is a wax job (usually wax that isn't as good as something like Zaino) and some off-the-shelf interior cleaner/protectant.

The killer is, for $35 worth of product they use, they charge you $100s (sometimes many $100s).

Just wash/wax your car regularly. Apply a leather protectant a couple of times a year. If the leather gets dirty, get a leather cleaner. You'll save yourself a bunch of money, and do a better job in the process.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:30 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Lexol leather cleaner & conditioner... the only chemicals that will ever touch my super soft leather....

$5.99 @ your local auto parts store
Old 05-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
NO!

First, teflon can only be applied with high heat to bond to a surface. I doubt that's what they're doing to apply whatever they're applying. I can almost guarantee whatever it is they're putting on the seats is little more than $10 worth of leather protectant that you can get at any auto parts store.

Usually the dealer's warranty for those applications is dependent upon you renewing it every year or so (at a charge to you). Plus, they are exclusions.

Read the fine print very carefully on it.

No reason that anyone should buy any of the dealership exterior or interior "protection packages". All they amount to is a wax job (usually wax that isn't as good as something like Zaino) and some off-the-shelf interior cleaner/protectant.

The killer is, for $35 worth of product they use, they charge you $100s (sometimes many $100s).

Just wash/wax your car regularly. Apply a leather protectant a couple of times a year. If the leather gets dirty, get a leather cleaner. You'll save yourself a bunch of money, and do a better job in the process.
Yes! Do NOT buy any additional "protection" packages that the dealer offers you. They are all 100% a scam. I've never seen one place offer anything of value, that you couldn't find better or cheaper elsewhere.

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Lexol leather cleaner & conditioner... the only chemicals that will ever touch my super soft leather....

$5.99 @ your local auto parts store
+1 That was one of my first detailing purchases.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by t5620
I just bought a 2010 Base TL and the dealer is offering me a cleaning and detailing package for my car when I send it in for the first service...

so... I'm wondering if they put teflon on the leather will it be all shinny and greasy?

P.S sorry for my bad english.
Stay away from this offer. Do it yourself. Save your time for going to dealer to have it done by them, save your money a lot because you can buy the products much cheaper and much better quality. Zaino and Lexol are some of products that I use as well.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile

allright guys thanks for all the feedback

I'll buy Lexol and Zaino...
Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We thought about the leather seal package as well but after a few google searches we came to the same conclusion that it was not worth the money. Just clean the leather every 6 months with pine sol or simple green and then liberaly apply leather conditioning lotion overnight (must have lanolin, like Mother's, Lexol, Car-brite, Malco), letting it soak in. Soft and as good as new. No cracking!!!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by platinum1
Stay away from this offer. Do it yourself. Save your time for going to dealer to have it done by them, save your money a lot because you can buy the products much cheaper and much better quality. Zaino and Lexol are some of products that I use as well.
+1.

I'd stay away from any type of stealer "car wash" or "detailing" at all.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by grymg
We thought about the leather seal package as well but after a few google searches we came to the same conclusion that it was not worth the money. Just clean the leather every 6 months with pine sol or simple green and then liberaly apply leather conditioning lotion overnight (must have lanolin, like Mother's, Lexol, Car-brite, Malco), letting it soak in. Soft and as good as new. No cracking!!!
I would even skip the pine sol or simple green. Get a cleaner that is designed for leather. Lexol cleaner w/ conditioner is the gold standard.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Man if you guys havent tried Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner your missing out!! Great leather smell and conditions awesome. I also started the Zaino system for the outside! Really happy with that also!
Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by melrob1
Man if you guys havent tried Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner your missing out!! Great leather smell and conditions awesome. I also started the Zaino system for the outside! Really happy with that also!
Lexol is good. I like Zaino better. Been using it exclusively for years. Works very well. Smells good. Lasts a long time.

Matter of fact, you can say that about all of Zaino's products.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Meh - I'm not a Zaino fan at all. I see why people like it, but I think there are other products on the market that do just as good of a job, for cheaper and ofter quicker.

Plus I don't know how their "polish" works. There is no way you get actual correction for swirls by applying it by hand. It's probably a glaze that fills in the swirls. And finally, they say to buff off the "polish" with a cotton towel? Yikes, I would never let a cotton towel touch the ultra soft clearcoat of Honda/Acura. Microfiber or nothing.

I may try it sometime just to see what the fuss is all about...
Old 06-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
What do you use for clothes?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by petec2010
Meh - I'm not a Zaino fan at all. I see why people like it, but I think there are other products on the market that do just as good of a job, for cheaper and ofter quicker.

Plus I don't know how their "polish" works. There is no way you get actual correction for swirls by applying it by hand. It's probably a glaze that fills in the swirls. And finally, they say to buff off the "polish" with a cotton towel? Yikes, I would never let a cotton towel touch the ultra soft clearcoat of Honda/Acura. Microfiber or nothing.

I may try it sometime just to see what the fuss is all about...
Pete...not trying to dissuade you to use one product over another. However, I've been using Zaino for probably 13 years. First misconception is that it's a true polish. Regardless of what they call it, it is not. It is a synthetic wax. As far as I'm concerned, the best synthetic available. I've tried Meguiars (both carnuba and synth), some of the other boutique brands.......Klasse, Collinite, Liquid Glass, P21, and more that I've probably forgotten. For shine and durability, I always come back to Zaino.

Their Z5 is the "swirl" product. It only fills them swirls in. It is not abrasive. And, it takes more than one coat depending on the severity of the swirls. If you've got anything more than light swirling, you should be looking at other products that offer abrasives which will correct them.

As far as towels, like anything else, there are good towels, and there are bad towels, regardless of what they're made of. I used to use 100% cotton towels (even baby diapers) for a long while....high quality ones with cotton, not synthetic, edges. Tough to find.

I use some high quality microfiber towels now. But, it took me a couple of years to find ones I considered good enough not to cause swirling.

As far as Zaino's leather care. Haven't used everything out there. So, I don't know whether it's better than some others. I know it's good. So, whenever I place a Zaino order, I include their wheel dressing and leather care as part of my order for convenience. None of Zaino's products have ever been less than good, most times great, whenever I've used them.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Drifting

Not to totally thread hijack :P

But yea, I'm not hating on anyone, and I see the draw for the Zaino line. The stuff seems kind of expensive... but I'm sure like all the other products that I'm using, I'll probably try it out eventually to see how it compares.

Thanks for the info!