Good-Bye TL SH-AWD..

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
i am not knocking is his choice of vehicle by any means. I am however knocking the way the vehicle was acquired. I honestly dont understand the lease option. Why not just purchase the vehicle?
Don't think anyone answered this question.. and its kinda late and off topic butttt..

Leasing is an excellent option for anyone whom jumps from car to car every few years. If you're always with a car payment there is no real reason to purchase a vehicle straight up. With a lease you finance a portion of the vehicle and only pay for damages while possessing the vehicle.. However the great part is, you get to walk away from it and get into somethin else in 3 years no questions ask no negotiating no trade-in worries. Just come in drop the keys off and leave.

If you purchase a vehicle everytime you go in to get a car every 3 or 4 years you're financing the entire value of the car for the entirety of your ownership and you have to worry about how much you're going to get for the vehicle when you go to trade it in. So if you're going from car to car every 3 or 4 years you spend less money leasing, then you would financing.

Just have to ask yourself, "Am I going to keep this car?" or " I like to get a new car as often as possible to keep up with the ever changing models and features" ..

Also dudes got it tied into his business for a tax break? If you're in that high of a tax bracket you're trying to jump down one then thats the smartest thing i've ever heard.

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Most people (incl. myself) who decide to get into these pricey German luxury cars know it's far better to lease than to own. I get free scheduled maintanance for 3 years. It's also titled to my business name, so it's written off for tax purposes.

I'd just be worried you hit some chick, and now shes not suing you, shes going after your company..
Old 07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
If the 4G had that "S" front they would be selling a lot more of them.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
Yeah, I'll definately get some snow tires for the winter. It'll be more than adequate for where I live. AWD is really unnecessary if you live in a big city with good snow removal.
(Late reply...)

Where you live is not too far from where I live (I drive by the dealer where you bought your new toy practically every day). I definitely agree that AWD is unnecessary for the winter but I'd worry about RWD without snows. I was wondering if you were planning on getting separate rims or just mounting the snows on your existing rims.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Olu
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tishkevich
Don't think anyone answered this question.. and its kinda late and off topic butttt..

Leasing is an excellent option for anyone whom jumps from car to car every few years. If you're always with a car payment there is no real reason to purchase a vehicle straight up. With a lease you finance a portion of the vehicle and only pay for damages while possessing the vehicle.. However the great part is, you get to walk away from it and get into somethin else in 3 years no questions ask no negotiating no trade-in worries. Just come in drop the keys off and leave.

If you purchase a vehicle everytime you go in to get a car every 3 or 4 years you're financing the entire value of the car for the entirety of your ownership and you have to worry about how much you're going to get for the vehicle when you go to trade it in. So if you're going from car to car every 3 or 4 years you spend less money leasing, then you would financing.

Just have to ask yourself, "Am I going to keep this car?" or " I like to get a new car as often as possible to keep up with the ever changing models and features" ..

Also dudes got it tied into his business for a tax break? If you're in that high of a tax bracket you're trying to jump down one then thats the smartest thing i've ever heard.

I'd just be worried you hit some chick, and now shes not suing you, shes going after your company..
This is the Leasing "party line" and a bit over simplified.

Factors that should effect your decision.
-Cars residual value at the time of trade/sale.
-Money factor vs financing rates.
-Annual mileage
-Modifications?
-Business deduction?

I was sure I was going to lease my next car because I generally trade up every 3-4 years, so I ran the numbers. I still have the initial numbers but can't find the more detailed analysis.

At 3 years. Acura TL's projected Residual value-56%
Money factor .00237 vs Financing rate 3.9% 60 months
Lease 12000mi/yr
Down payment GS 300 trade-in

Late into the 2nd year the Lease and the Buying option were even, meaning you trade/sell the car at that point, you've spent the same amount of money on the car leasing or buying...period. At 3 years you will be spending more on the Lease then if you bought/financed the car. At 4 years you've spent a several thousand more on the lease then on a financed car (though you will probably be in a new car if you leased). If you have some extra cash to put down on a car (therefore financing less) the numbers are even more favorable for the buying option (Even taking into account the amount of money you'd lose with a conservative investment on that cash). At 5+ years you're talking about several thousand dollars per year in savings AND you still own the car.

You should probably buy
-If you drive over 12,000 mi/yr
-You plan on staying in the car for more then 3 years
-You plan on spending money on modifications
-You're not quite sure financially where you'll be in 3 years

You should probably lease
-If own a business and can deduct your lease payments (and don't mind the liability attached to that)
-You drive less than 12,000 mi/yr
-You have to have a new car every 2-3 years
-You want to lease a car with poor resale/residual value (ie VW)
Old 07-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Olu
This is the Leasing "party line" and a bit over simplified. .....
Yeah, I've never done that much research It's incredible that you're patient and smart enough to do that though and I appreciate the information.

I only knew the basics, was the finance managers job to take all that into consideration. My over simplification was for the common mind :-P Just to get them over the "i won't ever lease" stigma and open there mind to the possibility

Lets just say I don't got a college education and I sold cars for 2 years, should explain a lot