Good-Bye TL SH-AWD..

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010 | 07:53 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by KeithL
WOW, I'm not doubting you, byt my 09 AWD with 19K miles is rock solid, tight car, built like a tank, not a squeak or rattle and the laether looks almost new. If the RL is better than that then Acura surely has sadly missed great opportunities with that car.

23K on my '09 TL SH-AWD, I'm having a blast with mine. If one thing I've notice is how she performs better after her break in period. Other than a cat climbing up near the radiator no odd noises. Test drove the RL, nice...the cooled seats and blind spot sensors were tight, however IMO the TL supplants it...I believe that's why the model line is in a precarious position to this date. A friend of mine wants an one for his retirement, but he's holding off to see what the next RL will be...he test drove the new TL's and said he saw why the RL was left on the lot.
Old 06-23-2010 | 09:11 AM
Pro

WOW, I'm not doubting you, byt my 09 AWD with 19K miles is rock solid, tight car, built like a tank, not a squeak or rattle and the laether looks almost new. If the RL is better than that then Acura surely has sadly missed great opportunities with that car.
Keith....good point. That's one of the first things that struck me about the TL when I first test drove the 4G...how rock solid, tight, and well built it was. Nothing against the RL, but the TL to me was clearly meant to be the performer and build quality beacon of the Acura line up.
Old 06-23-2010 | 09:12 AM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by Blazing GT
jealous much? haha

congrats man have fun with that car
Not at all. Would not want that payment.
Old 06-23-2010 | 06:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
23K on my '09 TL SH-AWD, I'm having a blast with mine. If one thing I've notice is how she performs better after her break in period.
You know I have been spoiled and missing out, my last few cars I had swapped out of by 12K miles, I ntoiced that somewhere in the last few K miles my AWD is really awesome perfromer as well, I suspect it started happaning aroudn 15K miles, the engine is super smooth the MPG climbed about .5 MPG on average and the sucker just has some nice low end pull, sure the AWD power train loss sucks a lot of that up off the line, but still sweet. I just re-test drove a G37 this past weekend as well as the new M37 and I can say while the G is a accleration rocket, the AWD TL had both cars beat on the low end and for handling (neither was a sport package though).
Old 06-25-2010 | 09:31 PM
Instructor

Did you trade it in at Patrick BMW? I think I saw the TL on their lot the other day. Looks good with the RonJon grille. Not crazy about those wheels though...
Old 06-25-2010 | 09:56 PM
10th Gear

What you got $33,200.00 on your trade in, & your still paying 9 bills/mth on a car you don't own? Insane! You must of gotten a high interest rate...
Old 06-25-2010 | 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by simon222333
What you got $33,200.00 on your trade in, & your still paying 9 bills/mth on a car you don't own? Insane! You must of gotten a high interest rate...
My TL was leased. Even with a perfect credit score and $2K down (1st months payment, security deposit), you're still looking at $950+/month. (But this is a $72K car after all).

But as I mentioned before in my earlier posts, I lease all my cars through my business for tax purposes and everything is pretty much written off.
Old 06-25-2010 | 11:57 PM
5th Gear

the red ambient lightning is not for me...but otherwise, its too good...
Old 06-26-2010 | 12:36 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Originally Posted by PetesTL
But as I mentioned before in my earlier posts, I lease all my cars through my business for tax purposes and everything is pretty much written off.
That's the smart way to do it, lowering your taxable income as much as possible.
Old 06-26-2010 | 05:49 AM
Cruisin'

Congratulations!

As someone who also leases high value and high tech cars (I am leasing my TL) and has owned a 550i Sport (previous car was leased 2008 550i) - I understand your reasoning and fully agree with what you did.

Congratulations and enjoy that car!!
Old 06-28-2010 | 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Well it seems I too have come to bid farewell. I finally pulled the trigger ona 2011 M37 Sport Touring. True not as nice as Pete's 550i, but a fine machine indeed. I only have 25 mile son it and have barely got familiar with the basics in the car, but it is the closet thing for the money to the ride of my SH-AWD TL. I loved my TL, it was one of the best built cars I have ever owned. The ride was second to none and the seats were perfect. But in the end the damn styling never grew on me enough to make me happy. Between the muted colors of the 4G to the god awful beak that just never did it for me. I will visit here from time to time as I found this forum one of the best most active forums that had a great group of people. Maybe Acura will get their styling right at MMC or the 5G and I will return, but the time was right for me to shoot my load on this. I don't think the M37 will ever be as rock solid as my TL, but then it is a lease and I never keep anything more than 2 years so I guess it will be fine for that time. I will try and post pics over the holiday weekend.
Old 06-28-2010 | 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

550i FTW, period - congrats Pete
Old 06-28-2010 | 10:24 PM
Racer

Well it seems I too have come to bid farewell. I finally pulled the trigger ona 2011 M37 Sport Touring. True not as nice as Pete's 550i, but a fine machine indeed. I only have 25 mile son it and have barely got familiar with the basics in the car, but it is the closet thing for the money to the ride of my SH-AWD TL. I loved my TL, it was one of the best built cars I have ever owned. The ride was second to none and the seats were perfect. But in the end the damn styling never grew on me enough to make me happy. Between the muted colors of the 4G to the god awful beak that just never did it for me. I will visit here from time to time as I found this forum one of the best most active forums that had a great group of people. Maybe Acura will get their styling right at MMC or the 5G and I will return, but the time was right for me to shoot my load on this. I don't think the M37 will ever be as rock solid as my TL, but then it is a lease and I never keep anything more than 2 years so I guess it will be fine for that time. I will try and post pics over the holiday weekend.
Sick! Congrats buddy...what colour did you get? How are the payments?
Old 06-28-2010 | 11:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Haha.....I knew that itch needed to be scratched sooner or later!...In my head, I was betting sooner and lo and behold, I was right!
Congrats Keith!
From what I've read, I thought you were eyeing that G37 but the M's definately a step up. Happy trails, Keith!.....hopefully one day, our paths will meet up again in one of these forums.
Old 06-28-2010 | 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Pardon my negativity but it seems like growing number of TL owners are dumping their 4G.

Going to happen sooner or later but it seems like a fair portion of them weren't fully pleased with it.

Too bad, but it reassures me for not pulling the trigger on a 4G.
Old 06-29-2010 | 05:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
Sick! Congrats buddy...what colour did you get? How are the payments?
Silver over Black. Payment are ridiculous becaue I had to roll $2000 frmo my TL, but they were taking about $4K+ off the M37 and I get 17K miles on the lease. I got he car right near invoice.
Old 06-29-2010 | 05:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Haha.....I knew that itch needed to be scratched sooner or later!...In my head, I was betting sooner and lo and behold, I was right!
Congrats Keith!
From what I've read, I thought you were eyeing that G37 but the M's definately a step up. Happy trails, Keith!.....hopefully one day, our paths will meet up again in one of these forums.
I do love the G, but we are less than 18 months form a new G and I didn't find the G to be as luring as the M. The G handled a bit better as it was more nimble and able to put power to the pavement quicker (it is 400 lbs lighter). The M37 Sport Touring rode much closer to the TL so it was a no brainer, plus the tech in the M37 is a little better than the G. The 20 inch Sport wheels make the car. I still feel the Acura AWD felt more planted and secure on the road, but the M is far more nimble and lighter on its feet. The Sport brakes in the M are grippy, more so tham the Brembos on the 08 Type-S I had. The Acura seats in the AWD were awesome the M Sport seats are more comfortable, but lack some of the side bolstering and "glove like fit" of the TL AWD. The Bose 5.1 sounds system is OK, but the Acura ESL is better, but the Bose is a little cleaner.
Old 06-29-2010 | 05:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
Pardon my negativity but it seems like growing number of TL owners are dumping their 4G.

Going to happen sooner or later but it seems like a fair portion of them weren't fully pleased with it.

I struggled with this decision for a long time. When I got my TL AWD the thing that attracted me ws the awesome ride and handling, seats and ELS. The looks turned me off, but were not horrible. Over time I just wasn;t loving the car, I did live driving it, but anyone that knows me knows I wash my car every week, not my 4G, usually once a month. In the end the styling never grew on me the way I had hoped. I still think the 4G AWD is an awesome riding car, I felt it was proabbly the best built car I have every owned, 19K miles not a single issue not a peep out of the car and as tight as day 1. I don't beleive the M37 will be that good, but then I'll probably be out of it in less than 2 years anyway. I wanted to stay Acura and want to come back, but until they get their styling resolved I can't see myself coming back. Alos I found the 4G color choices IMO sucked. The PM was a muted off beige, no real silver anymore and the grays and reds too dark and muted IMO. Look beauty is on the eye of the beholder and I am not trashing anyone that loves their 4G, but I just never loved it. I will be still stopping by since I have 6 Acuras in my blood, that does not go away over night.
Old 06-29-2010 | 08:58 AM
COTM Coordinator

Growing Number? Care to elaborate? If you mean growing from none to less than 5 then yes you are right its growing, but I wouldnt call that a "fair portion" of people who arent fully pleased. I think you are basing your comments solely on the members of the forum and not the other percentage of TL owners who dont care about forums. Grandmas love these cars, and so do mid aged asian women lol.

Your negativity is spread all over this 4G section of the forum and you do not own one. I dont care if you borrow your moms, your friends, or your moms friends to base your personal experience. Your comments are like bacteria, no one likes them but without them we wouldnt have balance.
Old 06-29-2010 | 09:31 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
Growing Number? Care to elaborate? If you mean growing from none to less than 5 then yes you are right its growing, but I wouldnt call that a "fair portion" of people who arent fully pleased. I think you are basing your comments solely on the members of the forum and not the other percentage of TL owners who dont care about forums. Grandmas love these cars, and so do mid aged asian women lol.

Your negativity is spread all over this 4G section of the forum and you do not own one. I dont care if you borrow your moms, your friends, or your moms friends to base your personal experience. Your comments are like bacteria, no one likes them but without them we wouldnt have balance.
I feel you Murky, but I have tried to refrain from going there...moderators have asked that those debates be toned down.

The cars that folks are moving "up" to are substainsally higher in cost and in a different class. Moving from a $35,000.00 vehicle to one $72,000.00 is a BIG move. So is the M37 in a different class...it would be like me moving to a Panamera, Cayman, or Cayenne.

I've seen 5 series and A-4's and MB's on the used car lot here in Augusta all trade-ins for the TL SH-AWD or TL. What does that say? Folks have different taste.

I may use forums and reviews to get a feel for a car but the overall satisfaction found with a decision rest with me. There are those who give into peer pressure or, oh I can't find the word, but it's when you let other's affect how you view your choices or views about a purchase you made. Either way, the numbers are small and it is not like a landslide of owners changing their minds.
Old 06-29-2010 | 09:44 AM
Race Director

very nice BMW

enjoy it
Old 06-29-2010 | 09:48 AM
Drifting

Old 06-29-2010 | 09:59 AM
Advanced

Who cares what the outside of the car looks like? What matters is the view from the drivers seat and how great a car it is. Sheesh.
Old 06-29-2010 | 10:02 AM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by Scotten
Who cares what the outside of the car looks like? What matters is the view from the drivers seat and how great a car it is. Sheesh.
Because Im sure the VW Beetle handles great and feels wonderful in the seat, but what man in his right mind would buy a new beetle.

Looks play a major role in a car as well as the interior design and ergonomics.
Old 06-29-2010 | 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

The cars that folks are moving "up" to are substainsally higher in cost and in a different class. Moving from a $35,000.00 vehicle to one $72,000.00 is a BIG move. So is the M37 in a different class...it would be like me moving to a Panamera, Cayman, or Cayenne.
Agreed, yes Pete and I both "UP"graded, but part of the point I was making is the TL left me less than satisfied from the styling, I would have gladly UPgraded with Acura, but they have nothing the RL is useless. Look at my tag, I was in no rush to leave Acura or the TL, this was their decision to release a polarizing style car with IMO crappy color choices. Again I am not flaming anyone that loves their TL, hell people don't like the M for various reasons as well.
Old 06-29-2010 | 10:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Scotten
Fully Agee to a point. If I cared that much about the outside I woudl have been in somthing else after my 3G sicne the 4G never appealed to my styling preferences, but I also like looking at my car. All my 3G TLs I woudl get out of the car at work every day and turn back and look at the car and think about how much I loved the car. The 4G I never looked back at it, I did love driving it, but when you drop this kind of $$$ I was getting tired of the nose of the car and to some degree the tail. The side profile was great, but the lowered hood and edgey front just never did it for me. One never knows in the MMC if there is a nice Type-S where they do like a RJ grill I may be back.
Old 06-29-2010 | 10:45 AM
Drifting

You gotta be happy with what you spend your money on. Sounds like a great pickup, can't wait to see some pics!
Old 06-29-2010 | 10:50 AM
Registered Member

Was that not obvious?

The rest of that personal garbage I could have done without, thank you.
Old 06-29-2010 | 11:17 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Agreed, yes Pete and I both "UP"graded, but part of the point I was making is the TL left me less than satisfied from the styling, I would have gladly UPgraded with Acura, but they have nothing the RL is useless. Look at my tag, I was in no rush to leave Acura or the TL, this was their decision to release a polarizing style car with IMO crappy color choices. Again I am not flaming anyone that loves their TL, hell people don't like the M for various reasons as well.
I hear you, my point is you pulled the trigger when you weren't sure of your choice. Heck I look back at my car when I walk away from it feeling exhilarated and liberated by the drive and the look...it was your decision to buy it, you seem like you had a lot of buyers remorse even before you left the car lot. I like the color selection as well. Now I wasn't satisfied with the Taurus SHO...as much as I wanted to try a Ford again, but it left me confused. So I passed.

I get what Murky is saying too...the appearance is with a few folks trading the TL's early some want to say that it's a trend. You'd have to do some serious research to prove that. And if you do, then you are seriously caught up on slamming the TL and don't have anything else to gratify you in life, MO.

Last edited by compewterbleu; 06-29-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-29-2010 | 11:21 AM
Registered Member

I hear you, my point is you pulled the trigger when you weren't sure of your choice. Heck I look back at my car when I walk away from it feeling exhilarated and liberated by the drive and the look...it was your decision to buy it, you seem like you had a lot of buyers remorse even before you left the car lot. I like the color selection as well. Now I wasn't satisfied with the Taurus SHO...as much as I wanted to try a Ford again, but it left me confused. So I passed.
If the SHO had handling even close to the TL I'd have bitten as well.
Old 06-29-2010 | 11:28 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

If the SHO had handling even close to the TL I'd have bitten as well.

It made me feel like I was driving my brother in-laws Lincoln Continental. Even the overall ergonomics of it's interior were foreign to me. Weird.
Old 06-29-2010 | 11:31 AM
Registered Member

It made me feel like I was driving my brother in-laws Lincoln Continental. Even the overall ergonomics of it's interior were foreign to me. Weird.
Really? It felt taut enough for me. Taste difference I suppose.

I liked everything about the car other than its sheer size. If it had something like the TL's handling I might have overlooked that detail but with both of those minuses I couldn't swallow the 45 thou.

And so a man waits for either a Tesla or a Buick. WTF ....
Old 06-29-2010 | 11:40 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Really? It felt taut enough for me. Taste difference I suppose.

I liked everything about the car other than its sheer size. If it had something like the TL's handling I might have overlooked that detail but with both of those minuses I couldn't swallow the 45 thou.

And so a man waits for either a Tesla or a Buick. WTF ....

Tesla, 230 million in loses, scary. Buick, I'll have to give them a few years before I'd test those waters.

$45k...I suppose. Got mine for a little over $35K. The dealerships here wanted $44k for the SHO...didn't want to budge.
Old 06-29-2010 | 11:45 AM
Registered Member

Tesla, 230 million in loses, scary. Buick, I'll have to give them a few years before I'd test those waters.

$45k...I suppose. Got mine for a little over $35K. The dealerships here wanted $44k for the SHO...didn't want to budge.
Yeah, this would be assuming the Model S turns out the way the preproduction test drives suggest. Annnnnd if they survive, which I still think they will.

I know Buick is an oddball choice but their products haven't been unreliable, just duller than....what, a Buick? But the new ones have been a world a difference and with the sportiness of the new GS model that's the one I'm gunning for. Hopefully it has more than 255 horsepower though.

And Ford wouldn't budge on SHOs here either. Of course I also ready an article that said sales of them are really strong. My personal sightings on the road confirm this as well, good for a low volume model anyway.
Old 06-29-2010 | 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

I hear you, my point is you pulled the trigger when you weren't sure of your choice. .
Not true I agonized for 2 weeks without a car as I decided back then, what put me in the 4G TL was the G37 could not compete with the technology or the ride and was a little cramped inside. I looked at an A4 and BMW 3, G37 and the Audi was hard to get with features I wanted, BMW was impossible to get way I wanted and I felt their Nav sucked and the car is cramped, great driving car, but that was it. I was not toally hating the styling and honestly it did grow on me a bit, but when the M37 came out I said OMG what a beautiful car and wanted to check it out. I drove the BAse Premium and it rode OK, but was not enough to get me out of the TL. I drove a Sport and realized it was a ride that wodul keep me happy. Ultimately I know I will miss the TL, the ride, build quality, technology and the seats! I suspect the M37 will not live up to some of those standards, but then by that time I'll be 18 months in and we'll see what the 4G MMC has to offer or even the new G37 due then. I have no regrets about owning the TL AWD, I just grew tired of it and without the looks it grew boring.
Old 06-29-2010 | 11:59 AM
Suzuka Master

So,

I went into my local BMW dealer today to finalize my order for a 2011 535iX (choosing color, options, etc.) to take delivery in the fall. Well right there in the lot was a fully decked-out, super shiny 2011 550i. I was very curious about it so I requested a test-drive....20 minutes later: DAMN IT, I was SMITTEN! Needless to say, I came home tonight with a 550i!
So my 2+ year love affair with my 4G TL came to an end.
I came home late tonight from the dealership so I couldn't take any pictures.....however, I will post some pics tomorrow in the daylight.

Here's a few quick tidbits about it:

-exterior: graphite (dark gray)
-interior: Oyster (ivory)
-drivetrain: 8 cyl. 400 hp/450 ft-lb
-8-sp sport automatic
-Sports package: 19" wheels/per. tires/sport steering wheel/sport seats/paddle shifters
-Cold Weather Package: heated steering wheel, heated F/R seats, headlight washers
-Navigation w/40G hard drive and I-Pod adapter
-premium surround sound system--awesome!
-Dynamic Handling Package: adjustable dampers (Normal/Comfort/Sport/Sport+)
-Rear-View, Top View, Side View Cameras
-HUD display
-ventilated seats
-rear/side sun shades

Sticker price: $71K
My sales agent gave me a $3K discount for being long-time customer.
My lease is $925/month for 36 months

My short driving impression so far:
This car is a FRICKIN DREAM!
--Takes off like a Lear Jet, rides like a Bentley, corners like it's velcro'ed to the road!
--This is my 6th BMW in the last 12 years and it's hands-down the best!!
How funny and ironic, I amd on my way out to lunch today and as I go to get in my new M37, 2 spots over from me is a brand new 550i with dealer temp tags, I immedialty think well Pete will be with me in Spirit every day now, and damn I'll be cursing you will jealousy!
Old 06-29-2010 | 01:11 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Not true I agonized for 2 weeks without a car as I decided back then, what put me in the 4G TL was the G37 could not compete with the technology or the ride and was a little cramped inside. I looked at an A4 and BMW 3, G37 and the Audi was hard to get with features I wanted, BMW was impossible to get way I wanted and I felt their Nav sucked and the car is cramped, great driving car, but that was it. I was not toally hating the styling and honestly it did grow on me a bit, but when the M37 came out I said OMG what a beautiful car and wanted to check it out. I drove the BAse Premium and it rode OK, but was not enough to get me out of the TL. I drove a Sport and realized it was a ride that wodul keep me happy. Ultimately I know I will miss the TL, the ride, build quality, technology and the seats! I suspect the M37 will not live up to some of those standards, but then by that time I'll be 18 months in and we'll see what the 4G MMC has to offer or even the new G37 due then. I have no regrets about owning the TL AWD, I just grew tired of it and without the looks it grew boring.

If you say so. To me the M37 looks like a stretched G37... IMO the TL is more masculine to the M37 being too feminine...to each his/her own.
Old 06-29-2010 | 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

To me the M37 looks like a stretched G37... IMO the TL is more masculine to the M37 being too feminine...to each his/her own.
Exactly, a grown up G37 and I love the G37 lines, very sexy looking lines, I agree the TL is more masculine looking, more in your face muscle.
Old 06-29-2010 | 02:07 PM
COTM Coordinator

Talking

Was that not obvious?

The rest of that personal garbage I could have done without, thank you.
Obviously it wasn't that obvious, especially when you make a generalized comment. Perhaps being a little more specific in your posts would help us better understand you point of view.

Going back to my comment, which seems to have stumped you, can you elaborate more on your post..... specifically of course

Oh and you base your personal experience of the 4G TL how?

Trolls belong under bridges, and trolling is done by fisherman.
Old 06-29-2010 | 02:59 PM
Registered Member

If you say so. To me the M37 looks like a stretched G37... IMO the TL is more masculine to the M37 being too feminine...to each his/her own.
With the Sport models it looks pretty aggressive, just not as "out there" as the TL.

To each his own in terms of styling.

Obviously it wasn't that obvious, especially when you make a generalized comment. Perhaps being a little more specific in your posts would help us better understand you point of view.

Going back to my comment, which seems to have stumped you, can you elaborate more on your post..... specifically of course

Oh and you base your personal experience of the 4G TL how?

Trolls belong under bridges, and trolling is done by fisherman.
I was only speaking in terms of owners on this board, so there's no "stumping" to speak of. I'm sorry you didn't get that.

Based on my personal experience of driving three separate TLs of the 4G variety, which I've already discussed prior in other threads. The only model I haven't driven is the manual.

You're calling me a troll? Please, spare me.

Again, you can leave the personal matters at the door.

Quick Reply: Good-Bye TL SH-AWD..