Globe & Mail Review (Canada) 2010 TL - not good!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Globe & Mail Review (Canada) 2010 TL - not good!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle1496413/

I don't think there's an uglier front-end treatment in the industry than Acura's new corporate grille design. From the Civic-derived CSX to the MDX SUV, Acura models have a massive slab of angular chrome in the front of the car where the grille should be.
When I recently asked a Honda Canada executive if sales were down because of it, he mumbled something about a depressed economy, poor sales throughout the segment, and how about those Maple Leafs.
The worst offender, as far as I'm concerned, is the top-of-the-range TL sedan, which – aside from the addition of a six-speed manual transmission and different paint – is carried over from 2009. The TL looks like a chunk of sheet metal origami, all angles and sharp edges, topped by a grinning front end that looks like it was designed by robots. I'm usually a fan of Honda/Acura products, but, to quote my granny, Acura's design team has come a cropper on this one.
Kind of a shame, because the TL is, in other respects, an interesting piece of work. For starters, you can get it with Honda's Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive (SH-AWD), which gives it a leg up on much of the competition when it comes to handling and road-holding ability, and secondly, it has that marvellous i-Vtec V-6 engine that, in this configuration, displaces 3.7 litres, and is on the receiving end of an extra 200 cc and an additional 25 horsepower over the base TL.
The front-drive, non-SH-AWD version retains a 3.5-litre V-6 that is essentially carried over from last year. Either way, this is a lovely engine; refined, powerful, quiet and reasonably efficient. Acura's strongest point seems to be its drivetrains these days, because stylistically, this company has lost its mojo.
The other thing that makes the TL stand out is the fact that you can get it with a manual six-speed transmission, which came with my tester. The other choice is a five-speed automatic, but the manual gives the car an added dimension of performance.
That said, it honestly felt kind of odd rowing through the gears in an otherwise luxury sedan, and, truth be told, if I was in the market for this car, I think I'd stick with the autobox. It may not have the seat of the pants appeal of a stick shift, but it does come with steering-wheel-mounted shift paddles and is arguably more in keeping with this vehicle's overall character.
Still, the availability of a manual does show that Acura is paying attention, and it doesn't cost any more than the automatic. It's also about as good as manual gearboxes get – well-spaced gearing, smooth linkage, linear clutch action. One of my own little tests that I sometimes conduct with manual transmissions is to go through the gears without the clutch and see how things work out. Virtually without exception, Honda products slip in and out of gear without drama.
Indeed, the whole driving experience of the TL – SH-AWD or otherwise – is effortless. It's much smoother in operation than, oh, BMW's 5-Series or the Audi A6, and its closest rival is probably the Cadillac CTS when it comes to overall flavour and driveability.
It's still not what I'd call a really tossable car, but it's arguably the most performance-oriented TL Acura has ever put forward. I didn't get the opportunity to put the SH-AWD system through its paces, but you don't have to buy the TL with this feature.
Being the flagship of Acura's model lineup, the SH-AWD Technology TL has all the goodies and there are no options. Standard kit includes heated front seats, leather interior, XM satellite radio, Bluetooth, power trunk release, navi system, back-up camera, headlight washers and 18-inch alloy wheels and tires – the base model comes with 17-inchers.
What it may lack in visual beauty, the TL more than compensates for with interior amenities and modcons, even if things are a little busy inside. Unofficially, Acura claims it is trying to do something about the overly complicated and cluttered centre stack that it has on many of its models – this is a common complaint, and it needs to simplify things here.
Lots of safety stuff though; as well as four-wheel discs with ABS and the usual roster of front, side and side curtain airbags, it also has a hill start assist feature, tire-pressure monitoring system and traction control and vehicle stability systems.
As far as the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is concerned, it's a “top safety pick” for mid-size cars. It also gets five stars from the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
But not from me. I just can't get my head around its awkward styling, and it doesn't move me the way some of the other models in this segment do. It's also worth noting that the TL requires premium gasoline, which, the last time I looked, was more than $1.25 a litre.
globedrive@globeandmail.com
Old 03-11-2010, 02:37 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
"That said, it honestly felt kind of odd rowing through the gears in an otherwise luxury sedan, and, truth be told, if I was in the market for this car, I think I'd stick with the autobox."

The point in which this "writer" lost all credibility.

Plus he's complaining it takes premium fuel.... oh boo hoo, your're driving a 50k car(in the great white north prices) and you can't afford premium fuel?

I will agree with him, the styling is not for everyone, but that's fixable :P
Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Reads as a fairly good review except for the styling, even in the numerical ratings. About the center stack, it's a tough choice because I am sure one of the reasons Acura went that way is because of the constant iDrive bashings. Why can't we just have a button for everything instead of scrolling through multiple menus and sub menus, now they have a button for eveything and it's too busy. Condensing it or a merger of the two concepts should help appease both sides.

Now I am just saying before everyone gets all crazy on me but anyone else notice how the Canadian reviews and authors always have the TL competing against cars like the 5 or the A6? Just like in this case but the author called the CTS it's closest competitor, which is spot on IMO. The car does have a slightly different and unique position in the auto segments. I am not sure why he would prefer the auto, maybe because it's really rare for this type of car and it's not the usual test subject. I guess in the end, if you like the styling or are ok with modding it, it's a great car, without much question.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 03-11-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Drifting

^^ Yea i think since he's comparing with the A6 and 5, which don't have manuals (right?) he thinks it's odd that it does have one. When we down here think the car is in the A4 and 3 market - in reality it's somewhere in the middle... still trying to figure out it's place.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That writer is not a car guy and he lost credibility when he wrote an incorrect fact: the TL is *NOT* the flagship of the Acura lineup.

Styling is subjective so no biggie if he doesn't like it. It didn't sound like he gave the car a fair chance against the 5 series, A6, or CTS, which he mentioned.

Don't all of those cars also require premium fuel, too?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:17 PM
Drifting

^^ Yea i think since he's comparing with the A6 and 5, which don't have manuals (right?) he thinks it's odd that it does have one.
All the 5 series sedans and variants except the GT are the only other ones in that larger mid sized range to offer a 6MT and a 6MT with AWD. The CTS has it on the RWD only. Otherwise out of the German and Jap luxury brands and besides Cadillac, that's all that have it in that specific size range, there is nothing else even from the E AMG, or the Audi S6.

When we down here think the car is in the A4 and 3 market - in reality it's somewhere in the middle... still trying to figure out it's place.
I agree, it has always appeared that way to me too but a lot of others are really sensitive on the subject, whatever. Just got to be careful where you throw those words around, that's all.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
...anyone else notice how the Canadian reviews and authors always have the TL competing against cars like the 5 or the A6? Just like in this case but the author called the CTS it's closest competitor, which is spot on IMO.
That's due to the size; the TL is larger than a 3-series or an A4. But keep in mind also that the car Honda puts against the 5xx and A6 is the RL, which Consumer Reports was pretty adamant about being insufficiently luxurious for that segment. And the TL is even less so.

(And since you always respond to my posts defensively and accusatorily, no, I did not write the Consumer Reports review of the RL. )
Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Drifting

Don't all of those cars also require premium fuel, too?
The A6, 5 and TL do, the CTS does not.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TechnoCat
That's due to the size; the TL is larger than a 3-series or an A4. But keep in mind also that the car Honda puts against the 5xx and A6 is the RL, which Consumer Reports was pretty adamant about being insufficiently luxurious for that segment. And the TL is even less so.

(And since you always respond to my posts defensively and accusatorily, no, I did not write the Consumer Reports review of the RL. )
I agree with the luxury side of it for the TL, but to a much smaller extent and not so much for the RL, but no real argument from me there since you always jump on my post anytime I bring this up.

The RL is indeed the full competitor to that class but the 2010 Acura TL press release specifically states the car is aimed the Audi A4 and A6, BMW 3-Series and 5-Series, Infiniti G35 and M35, Lexus ES, GS and IS sedans, and the Mercedes-Benz C-Class and E-Class.

http://hondanews.com/categories/735/releases/5198

So the assessment that it is a tweener or joint segment vehicle is correct. The reason for this is, the TSX does not have a real performance platform and the RL does not have a lower end model like much of the competition does, so the TL takes both positions in the Acura lineup for now.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 03-11-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Racer

Okay, I didn't understand that, but I think we agree... the TL is a tweener (sounds precisely correct - good term) and the RL is due a bit of a freshening, which is coming anyhow.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The exterior syling will be the TL's biggest achilles heel. The previous generation was that it was FWD only. The MMC needs 6sp automatic and a refresh (at least make it like the TSX) to the grille to remain relevant in my opinion.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Drifting

...tweener...

I don't know why that's so funny... clearly i'm in a strange mood...
Old 03-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Are there any cars as large or larger than the TL and sold in the U.S. or Canada that offer AWD and 6MT?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim 2004
Are there any cars as large or larger than the TL and sold in the U.S. or Canada that offer AWD and 6MT?
Porsche Panamera
Old 03-11-2010, 06:59 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
This guy has no clue of what he's taliking about. He obviously does NOT like the TL so that's why he going to write a negative reveiw on the car.
And as for having to use premium fuel, my 2003 Maxima has to have premium fuel. You know it up front so you make the decision!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Drifting

Porsche Panamera
Now you can see the value of the TL!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
...tweener...

I don't know why that's so funny... clearly i'm in a strange mood...
Tweener, a new category has been created.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I don't think really what somebody says in the Globe & Mail is going to mean much to automotive enthusiasts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeQC45KunwA
Old 03-12-2010, 12:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, it isn't just the Canadiens. Many in the US media, esp. Motor Trend, have slammed the 4G ever since it came out primarily due to its styling. Recently I've seen more and more 4G's out in the streets so maybe people are getting more used to the styling. (Either that or dealers are slashing prices so low to get them out of the door)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Well, it isn't just the Canadiens. Many in the US media, esp. Motor Trend, have slammed the 4G ever since it came out primarily due to its styling. Recently I've seen more and more 4G's out in the streets so maybe people are getting more used to the styling. (Either that or dealers are slashing prices so low to get them out of the door)
I was at Karen Radley yesterday getting my A1 service, and there were so many TL of all varieties on the lots that it was hard to move around at all.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by George Knighton
I was at Karen Radley yesterday getting my A1 service, and there were so many TL of all varieties on the lots that it was hard to move around at all.

Used or New??

I can see a lot of ppl. trading in their TL's for the prices of Premium Fuel alone!.

(i know for people like you guys, as enthusiasts, it's a necessary evil, but for your avg. Joe, it gets expensive.).

Just out of curiosity, does the Lexus equivalent (GS/ES) take premium fuel??
Old 03-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay, I didn't understand that, but I think we agree... the TL is a tweener (sounds precisely correct - good term) and the RL is due a bit of a freshening, which is coming anyhow.
I think a bit of a freshening is an understatement but I otherwise agree!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seen the numbers have doubled within a few months and I saw yesterday 1 black ZDX!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got mines for $2,000 under invoice and with 1.9% in Jan. So yeah they're kinda slashing prices.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Racer

They're definitely not selling up here in Canada. Since the TL came out last year, I think I've sold 1FWD Tech and maybe 7 SH-AWD Tech's...very sad...the only time TL's really moved was when Acura gave $3000 and $5000 rebates. Something is going to be done folks, patience is wearing thin...2006/2007 TL Lease customers are turning in their TL's and going to Mercedes/BMW/Audi and we'll never see them again. Even old TSX customers...Acura is truly shitting their pants right now.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Huge rebates!!!

Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
They're definitely not selling up here in Canada. Since the TL came out last year, I think I've sold 1FWD Tech and maybe 7 SH-AWD Tech's...very sad...the only time TL's really moved was when Acura gave $3000 and $5000 rebates. Something is going to be done folks, patience is wearing thin...2006/2007 TL Lease customers are turning in their TL's and going to Mercedes/BMW/Audi and we'll never see them again. Even old TSX customers...Acura is truly shitting their pants right now.
WOW! So, when they had the $5000 rebate, how much were the TL SH-AWD with Tech going for in Canada then? CDN$45000 or even less???
Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

The problem for Acura has always been that unlike BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and even Lexus, that they haven't been able to maintain a firm, stable brand image for many years that people could relate to. Acura is searching for an identity, and in the case of the TL and even the TSX, has been doing too much "experimenting" which has hurt them in sales. The other issue which I find disturbing is that Acura's entire model line is becoming pricier and pricier every year. Yes, Acura's are feature-rich and still offer a ton of value, but when a ZDX costs as much as a X5, something isn't right. If Acura doesn't see the light within the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai overtakes them in the entry-level luxury segment.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was at the local dealer today...cash back has been raised to $4500 (CAD)! Very tempting....

The problem for Acura has always been that unlike BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and even Lexus, that they haven't been able to maintain a firm, stable brand image for many years that people could relate to. Acura is searching for an identity, and in the case of the TL and even the TSX, has been doing too much "experimenting" which has hurt them in sales. .
Nail on the head! They have to pick a direction and stick with it....may be too late already...
Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Goosew
Used or New??
New.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Racer

Yep, we just recieved $4500 Cash Rebate on all 2010 models! Having an almost par CDN dollar I think helped too, but so far YTD in Canada, Acura is down like 25% compared to 2009 - a time of deep recession...pretty sad that we can't even claw back to the same numbers as last year!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Instructor

The problem for Acura has always been that unlike BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and even Lexus, that they haven't been able to maintain a firm, stable brand image for many years that people could relate to. Acura is searching for an identity, and in the case of the TL and even the TSX, has been doing too much "experimenting" which has hurt them in sales. The other issue which I find disturbing is that Acura's entire model line is becoming pricier and pricier every year. Yes, Acura's are feature-rich and still offer a ton of value, but when a ZDX costs as much as a X5, something isn't right. If Acura doesn't see the light within the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai overtakes them in the entry-level luxury segment.
Agreed. They had a winner with the 3G design I dont know why they didnt trend the brand in that direction. Not that I mind the looks of my 4G but they 3G was a winner, everyone embraced it.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 4G Express
Agreed. They had a winner with the 3G design I dont know why they didnt trend the brand in that direction. Not that I mind the looks of my 4G but they 3G was a winner, everyone embraced it.
For me, the 3G was Acura's pinnacle. It had the perfect blend of universally-appealing style, decent performance, features, safety, and probably most important of all, affordability. Acura couldn't have picked a more terrible time in American history to re-invent the TL. For the 5G, Acura needs to go back to the drawing board and think about what made the 3G their best-selling car.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigMacDTA
Yep, we just recieved $4500 Cash Rebate on all 2010 models! Having an almost par CDN dollar I think helped too, but so far YTD in Canada, Acura is down like 25% compared to 2009 - a time of deep recession...pretty sad that we can't even claw back to the same numbers as last year!

Craig , what is the financing rates for 36/48/60 months ?
I saw that the 4500$ is only for cash purchase , how much can be the rebate on financing ?
Just to compare with the period when my I got my 2009 as it was an official 3000$ of and 2.9%/48 months.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G Express
That's the problem with the Honda Company. Each generation has drastic changes. The current Honda Accord looks nothing like the previous. The current TL and TSX look nothing like the former.

What ever happened to an evolution in looks? A BMW or Audi is universal, most people would know what it is from generation to generation.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Momyc
Craig , what is the financing rates for 36/48/60 months ?
I saw that the 4500$ is only for cash purchase , how much can be the rebate on financing ?
Just to compare with the period when my I got my 2009 as it was an official 3000$ of and 2.9%/48 months.
Strangely, Acura hasn't given any special finance rates, only 1.9%/2.9% to lease or $4500 cash. Finance rates are standard rate (if you're buying they want YOU to use your bank rates and take the rebate).
Old 03-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
That's the problem with the Honda Company. Each generation has drastic changes. The current Honda Accord looks nothing like the previous. The current TL and TSX look nothing like the former.

What ever happened to an evolution in looks? A BMW or Audi is universal, most people would know what it is from generation to generation.
Any body can instantly recognize Honda Euro Accord between 1G and 2G.

TSX sales were not that much like BMW 3 series. so it does not come instantly to mind. 6.5 years for same car.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
^^^ Honda treatment FTW