Getting a new TL, leaving behind a much loved 08 type s

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010 | 03:54 PM
Drifting

Getting a new TL, leaving behind a much loved 08 type s

My lease is up on my white 08 type s which I love to death! For the last three months I have spent countless hours investigating countless cars to replace it with. My type s lease was 2 years at 469 month with 12k.

I have decided that I wanted a far lower monthly lease price for whatever I bought. I was going to get the new TSX with the V6, and had Acura down to 349 a month for a non tech one. Nothing down, just hand him the keys to my 08 type s and leave with the new car. Since they couldn't find my color of choice, the red basque pearl, he called and told me I could have a new TL in the red basque pearl for the same 349 a month. Sounded pretty sweet, so I think Im going to pull the trigger.

Here is my dilemma. The TL also doesnt have the tech package, but It seems like more of a big deal with the TL as it would of been with TSX. Nicer leather, navi, more watts with the stereo, rear view camera and decklid spoiler. But its would be another 75 dollars for the tech package. Im so torn. I feel like Id have this TL that has no tricks and treats.

how did all of you who opted out of the tech package decide on it. any regrets.
Old 03-13-2010 | 04:03 PM
Burning Brakes

The car your driving now seems to be more equipped then the base tsx or tl. Have you considered buying the 3g? the type-s is one hot car and selling well in the used car market now

this is just my .02,

the base tl is still very nice and the only difference in the leather is it doesn't have perforations in it.
Old 03-13-2010 | 06:27 PM
Racer

The Tech package is a must on the TL. Not the same car without it. You will not regret getting it but I think you will regret not getting it. JMO. Good luck.
Old 03-13-2010 | 11:58 PM
Team Owner

The tech package IS pretty cool stuff. I'd like to have the weather portion in my Type S.
Old 03-14-2010 | 07:12 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
The tech package IS pretty cool stuff. I'd like to have the weather portion in my Type S.
With all due respect the "weather" feature on the 4G TL is utterly worthless. It tells you only if it's going to be "overcast/cloudy/sunny/etc." over the next three days. No projected highs/lows, etc. It's total hype and bullshit. The traffic function is particularly good but only if you live around a major city. It'll do nothing for you if you live in a rural area as it only covers major highways.

As to the other poster's dilemna about whether to get the tech package I think getting this car without it should almost be a crime.
Old 03-14-2010 | 08:34 AM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by 007Acura
The car your driving now seems to be more equipped then the base tsx or tl. Have you considered buying the 3g? the type-s is one hot car and selling well in the used car market now

this is just my .02,

+1 I agree with 007Acura. You said it yourself, you love the car to death. It's only 2 years old,you know the car, you have had it since day one. I would stick with a good thing if I were you.
And yes the 3G Type-S is still and will be a HOT car always!!!
Old 03-14-2010 | 06:39 PM
Racer

If you don't get the SH-AWD 6MT than I would either buy the 08 or look elsewhere if you are going to lease again. Just my opinion!
Old 03-14-2010 | 06:50 PM
Racer

BTW... I have had no regrets. I was able to lease the car with zero down for $538/M + they paid the last 2 months of my prior TL's lease. Last month my brother took what I did a step further and was able to get a base TL with Nav and 18" rims for $399/M also with zero down + they paid 1K of the 2K he owed for excess mileage. Point being get two dealers involved in a price war and you will get the car for below invoice.
Old 03-14-2010 | 09:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jspagna1
+1 I agree with 007Acura. You said it yourself, you love the car to death. It's only 2 years old,you know the car, you have had it since day one. I would stick with a good thing if I were you.
And yes the 3G Type-S is still and will be a HOT car always!!!
Wow, this is what I was afraid of. I feel that getting rid of this type s will be a mistake somehow. Between this and the post about how I will likely regret getting a base TL without the tech package. Damn acura for these conundrums!!
Old 03-15-2010 | 05:45 PM
10th Gear

Having traded in my much loved 2005 base TL for the SH-AWD w/tech I can say that I probably would have regretted trading it for a 4th gen base w/o tech. The 3rd gen was such a nice car that the only things that made the trade up worth it were the SH-AWD and the tech.
Old 03-15-2010 | 05:49 PM
Advanced

Did you have your 2008 appraised yet? The dealer pay off on your TL-S maybe less than your cars trade in value, keep in mind you can always trade in your lease if it has equity.
Old 03-15-2010 | 05:53 PM
B A N N E D

is there any way you can keep that 08 type s. Re lease it or something
Old 03-15-2010 | 06:47 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ALsAcura
Did you have your 2008 appraised yet? The dealer pay off on your TL-S maybe less than your cars trade in value, keep in mind you can always trade in your lease if it has equity.
I have almost $1,800 in equity. My buyout is 24,700, and Im trading it in for 26,500. Thats how Im leasing the new one for 349 with nothing out of pocket.

My thoughts on trying to justify this move is this... the base TL has XM, bluetooth, and xenons, and Ipod integration. The lack of navi can be cured with a 100 garmin. The real time traffic and weather are pointless for me. And back up cameras in cars are overkill IMO. I would have a brand new car, new look, and from what Ive read, the acceleration for the base TL and Sh-awd is the exact same. Obviously handling would suffer, but I don't weave like a maniac anymore. Straight line acceleration is a more important a factor for me.
Old 03-15-2010 | 07:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rodney
and from what Ive read, the acceleration for the base TL and Sh-awd is the exact same.
I can't believe that is the case, do you have a link showing that? Get the MT model, and it blows away the AT versions.
Old 03-15-2010 | 07:09 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

I say either go for the 6MT AWD (which sounds like it's not going to be a payment you like) or work a deal to buy out your lease. I think you'll have BIG regrets with going from the fully decked out Type S, to a base TL...
They are just bells and whistles...but once you have them...you know you're missing them.
Old 03-15-2010 | 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

My lease is up on my white 08 type s which I love to death! For the last three months I have spent countless hours investigating countless cars to replace it with. My type s lease was 2 years at 469 month with 12k.

I have decided that I wanted a far lower monthly lease price for whatever I bought. I was going to get the new TSX with the V6, and had Acura down to 349 a month for a non tech one. Nothing down, just hand him the keys to my 08 type s and leave with the new car. Since they couldn't find my color of choice, the red basque pearl, he called and told me I could have a new TL in the red basque pearl for the same 349 a month. Sounded pretty sweet, so I think Im going to pull the trigger.

Here is my dilemma. The TL also doesnt have the tech package, but It seems like more of a big deal with the TL as it would of been with TSX. Nicer leather, navi, more watts with the stereo, rear view camera and decklid spoiler. But its would be another 75 dollars for the tech package. Im so torn. I feel like Id have this TL that has no tricks and treats.

Actually coming out of a Type-S I'm surprised you are OK witht he ride in the base TL, I came out of a 08 Type-S and the base TL felt way too soft. Also as others have said there is no way I woudl give up Tech, again especially coming form a Type-S! Maybe look into buying the Type-S. Also the AWD rides so much sportier than the Type-S and way more refined. The base TL felt soft and numb. Buy the Type-S!
Old 03-15-2010 | 11:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by petec2010
I can't believe that is the case, do you have a link showing that? Get the MT model, and it blows away the AT versions.
Here is the article from edmunds, its the third paragraph down...

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tl/2010/review.html

and here is a another article, just scroll down to "acceleration and power"

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...L/Performance/
Old 03-16-2010 | 09:19 AM
Drifting

Ahh all the loss at the tranny. That's crazy that they can't gain any addition with the added HP and TQ. Probably the added weight of the SHAWD negates it. But pony up for the big dog and get the 6MT - 5.3 seconds according to Edmunds (with a 1ft rollout). I've seen in the mid 5s with the 6MT.

http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tl/2010/testdrive.html

Honestly, if you're coming from the Type-S to the 2010, you need to get the Tech version, without it, it's a totally different car. If the speed is your thing, it's going to be slower going from the Type-S to the 4G FWD. When I test drove cars, the 4G AWD felt slower than my Type-S, but the 6MT (IMHO) felt faster than the 3G Type-S.

Until we can get these on the track, we'll never know which one is really faster.
Old 03-16-2010 | 06:38 PM

If you feel like it is...that's the only test I'd need.
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by petec2010
When I test drove cars, the 4G AWD felt slower than my Type-S, but the 6MT (IMHO) felt faster than the 3G Type-S.

Until we can get these on the track, we'll never know which one is really faster.
4G SH AWD 6MT is faster. C&D got 5.2 to 60, whereas the best that they ever timed the 3G TL-S was 5.5 to 60.

For the OP, unless you're getting SH AWD Tech 6MT....keep the TL-S.
Old 03-16-2010 | 07:10 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

chalk up another vote to keeping the 3G. Buy it back if you can.
Old 03-16-2010 | 09:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
4G SH AWD 6MT is faster. C&D got 5.2 to 60, whereas the best that they ever timed the 3G TL-S was 5.5 to 60.

For the OP, unless you're getting SH AWD Tech 6MT....keep the TL-S.
Coming from a 2007 TL-S I 100% agree with this statement, if you can't get that, keep what you have and wait until you can upgrade. It's totally worth the upgrade, but it's not cheap.
Old 03-17-2010 | 05:18 PM
Racer

Base TL is too Soft and little slow compared 2008 TL type-S. If you are ok with that then at least get Tech version.. It is much better choice than base without tech.
Old 03-17-2010 | 06:30 PM
Racer

See if they'll extend the lease for 6 months and get a 6AT 2011 model
Old 03-17-2010 | 07:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

OP have you driven the base and the SH-AWD cars? I read thru this thread quickly. Its the handling that separates the 2 above. - night and day.
Old 03-18-2010 | 07:19 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Take it to Car Max. I sold my prior Acura to them for a great price.

They have a "sold" 2008 WDP 2008 TL-S six speed at the Dulles Va lot that went for $32k retail.
Old 03-18-2010 | 11:12 AM
Advanced

Tough issue -- lease a new TL w/o tech for $349 (still no ownership), or purchase current leased TL Type S for about the same monthly payment -- $370 or so, if you get a 7/yr. loan and have great credit.
I would have to understand the reason for leasing. If it's for business then it's a no-brainer. If it's for show, well then a very different call.

Personally, I would rather drive around in a two year loaded Type S than a new base model TL any day of the week if I was personally making payments!
Old 03-18-2010 | 09:59 PM
Cruisin'

I'm a 2008 TL-S type owner and I just leased a 2010 SH-AWD non-tech. I gave my son the '08 and was actually looking for a low mileage used '08 to replace it. I went to the dealer and they had 3 Type S's but none of them were as clean as i wanted. I'm a freak when it comes to my cars. I walked across the street to their new car showroom and drove the SH. I was floored. Its a totally different car/ride but IMHO much more enjoyable for me. Dont get me wrong the S type was the best car I ever owned and I've had everything from 5 series BMWs, to every Benz you can think of and even a few 911's. Although I'm not in love with the front and rear of the '10, it handles as good if not better than anything on the road and after a Ronjon swap and painted rear trim I will be in love. As for the tech, after having lived with the S type tech and not really needing nav I opted for non-tech. Frankly, push button start and a color display are not high priorities for me. Don't expect the same "race car" type experience with the new car, its a much more refined ride and is closer to a european sport sedan than a riceburner racer. Both cars have their merits and the fact that I still have both in my driveway is a plus but I must say the '10 is now my preferred ride.

If your '08 is eat off the paint clean, I'd consider buying that car from you for my other son. Let me know what you decide to do with it. We are a 4 Acura family and I can always make it 5. Good Luck.
Old 03-19-2010 | 08:27 AM

Initially I thought...after everyone spent almost 40K on a newer car...OF COURSE they're going to say it's awesome and the best driver etc. But the more I read, the more I'm really looking forward to the day I can pick up a used SH AWD 6MT. I'm not into paying full price for anything but patience will pay off. It always does.
Old 03-19-2010 | 08:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mikes_in_PA
I'm a 2008 TL-S type owner and I just leased a 2010 SH-AWD non-tech. I gave my son the '08 and was actually looking for a low mileage used '08 to replace it. I went to the dealer and they had 3 Type S's but none of them were as clean as i wanted. I'm a freak when it comes to my cars. I walked across the street to their new car showroom and drove the SH. I was floored. Its a totally different car/ride but IMHO much more enjoyable for me. Dont get me wrong the S type was the best car I ever owned and I've had everything from 5 series BMWs, to every Benz you can think of and even a few 911's. Although I'm not in love with the front and rear of the '10, it handles as good if not better than anything on the road and after a Ronjon swap and painted rear trim I will be in love. As for the tech, after having lived with the S type tech and not really needing nav I opted for non-tech. Frankly, push button start and a color display are not high priorities for me. Don't expect the same "race car" type experience with the new car, its a much more refined ride and is closer to a european sport sedan than a riceburner racer. Both cars have their merits and the fact that I still have both in my driveway is a plus but I must say the '10 is now my preferred ride.

If your '08 is eat off the paint clean, I'd consider buying that car from you for my other son. Let me know what you decide to do with it. We are a 4 Acura family and I can always make it 5. Good Luck.
My car has some small chips in the paint, which sounds like it wouldn't meet your strict standards. 4 acuras are enough for you

Interesting. I do indeed love my type s, but I have found that I drive less and less spiritedly every month that passes. Who knows why.... getting older, massive congestion everywhere, speeding tickets, or just maybe got it all out of my system. So Im hoping that this move turns out to be alright. It is a bit concerning that everyone on here pretty much voted for me to keep the type s.

I am picking up the red basque pearl base TL tonight. Hopefully it feels right. I may cry giving up the car keys.

Thank you all for your valued opinions. I sure hope that the fact that my car payments are going down 120 dollars a month will offset any shortcomings or weaknesses I find in the new TL.

I will post my findings soon. . . .
Old 03-19-2010 | 09:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have an 08 Tech whose lease is up in Feb, 2011. I've already started pondering the same end-lease issues. By then the 11's should be out and I hope to get a great deal on either a leftover 10 or new 11. I would not consider the TL without Tech package. I think Acura finance would let you extend your lease for 6 months to put you in the same situation. Either that or buy the 3g and possibly look to trade later. I also plan on shopping more than one dealer, picking the 2 or 3 closest that have the largest inventories. Thus they are more motivated to get something off their lot even if they have to lose money to do so. Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 03-19-2010 | 09:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2Slo4U
Tough issue -- lease a new TL w/o tech for $349 (still no ownership), or purchase current leased TL Type S for about the same monthly payment -- $370 or so, if you get a 7/yr. loan and have great credit.
I would have to understand the reason for leasing. If it's for business then it's a no-brainer. If it's for show, well then a very different call.

Personally, I would rather drive around in a two year loaded Type S than a new base model TL any day of the week if I was personally making payments!
I just ran the numbers, and If I bought the type s, adding tax my payment would be 502 dollars a month, for a 5 year loan at 4.7%. Thats what also swayed me toward the new TL for 349 a month.
Old 03-19-2010 | 09:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Congrats on your new car. Keep us updated on your ownership experience.
Old 03-19-2010 | 09:38 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Initially I thought...after everyone spent almost 40K on a newer car...OF COURSE they're going to say it's awesome and the best driver etc. But the more I read, the more I'm really looking forward to the day I can pick up a used SH AWD 6MT. I'm not into paying full price for anything but patience will pay off. It always does.
Nope Blows the crap outta my 07 TL-S. Hell, I didn't pay full price when I got mine (paid over invoice) but got (at the time) a good deal when the 6MT came out in Oct.

I LOVED my TL-S, it was a great car, and will always be a timeless car. But the 4G is futuristic, you can fix the flaws easily enough to bring out the sexy.

I never looked back, no buyers remorse, no other car I wish I had more (except an e92 M3). I think the 4G 6MT will be remembered for being a hidden gem in the Acura world, too controversial looking for it to have mass appeal, but drives like a champ. Plus when that CT supercharger and exhaust comes out... Yup
Old 03-19-2010 | 11:02 AM
Advanced

Congrats on your decision. Don't forget to post pictures....
Old 03-23-2010 | 04:10 PM
Drifting

So I picked my new basque red pearl TL base last week. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I gave up my 08 type s.

Well, there is a significant difference between the two. This new TL is like a floater on stilts. But I dont mind too much. I like the soft cushy ride. The stereo is considerably better than the much hyped system I supposedly had in the type s. This one I think has 60 more watts. For all intents and purposes, in getting the base car, Im only really missing navi. This will be cured with the HTC Incredible cell phone I will be buying in 2 weeks that comes with google maps.

The car looks damn hot in the red basque pearl. The engine note at 6k is very similar to the type s. The type s was a bit quicker, but very negligible. Its most noticeable weak spot is off the line. The new car is only 85 pounds heavier, but I guess the rear squat on take off also makes acceleration suffer.

And all that work that acura touts about trying to make the cabin quiet sure is true! At 80 it is truly remarkable how quiet it is

So far no real big regrets. Especially at 349 a month.
Old 03-23-2010 | 04:32 PM
Drifting

Awesome congrats!

PICS!!!
Old 03-23-2010 | 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

So I picked my new basque red pearl TL base last week. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I gave up my 08 type s.

Well, there is a significant difference between the two. This new TL is like a floater on stilts. But I dont mind too much. I like the soft cushy ride. The stereo is considerably better than the much hyped system I supposedly had in the type s. This one I think has 60 more watts. For all intents and purposes, in getting the base car, Im only really missing navi. This will be cured with the HTC Incredible cell phone I will be buying in 2 weeks that comes with google maps.

The car looks damn hot in the red basque pearl. The engine note at 6k is very similar to the type s. The type s was a bit quicker, but very negligible. Its most noticeable weak spot is off the line. The new car is only 85 pounds heavier, but I guess the rear squat on take off also makes acceleration suffer.

And all that work that acura touts about trying to make the cabin quiet sure is true! At 80 it is truly remarkable how quiet it is

So far no real big regrets. Especially at 349 a month.
Congrats.

On another note, petec2010, is that your TL in your Avatar? It looks damn sweet. I like the rims and what you've done with the grille. If the TL looked like that, it was be a perennial best seller.
Old 03-23-2010 | 08:39 PM

I saw a white one today with the aspec and they painted the grill white...SEXY. But they bumped it up to 55K. Crazy.
Old 03-23-2010 | 08:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JAB00
Congrats.

On another note, petec2010, is that your TL in your Avatar? It looks damn sweet. I like the rims and what you've done with the grille. If the TL looked like that, it was be a perennial best seller.
Yea man, that's mine, thanks! My fav photo of my ride (also my background on my Mac). RonJon/JnC are the guys that brought the beauty to the 4G TL, a little bit of love with a new grille, black/clear headlights and wheels and it's dead sexy....

Quick Reply: Getting a new TL, leaving behind a much loved 08 type s