FWD vs. SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:23 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
FWD vs. SH-AWD

Hey fellas,

Hoping you can help me make up my mind on a purchasing decision. First off, the vehicle I'm interested in is the 2014 MDX which for the first time comes in FWD and SH-AWD variants. This is also the reason why I'm posting in the TL section as the TL also has both variants. Unlike the TL though, both variants of the MDX has the same specs on HP and torque and many of the other features are identical but there is a 2K difference in price.

My question is, purely from a performance/handling perspective how much better does the TL SH-AWD perform than the FWD? Has there been any tests to scientifically measure the gains/losses? I know this may be unfair comparison as the SH-AWD TL has more power then the FWD TL.

I live in DFW so snow and ice isn't all that much of an issue, so I'm leaning towards the FWD to save some money, but I'd like to get an idea of how much (if any) handling performance I'm giving up by going with FWD?

According to Consumer Reports - the 2014 MDX will really have to get pushed to the limits to take advantage of SH-AWD. I'm not planning on tracking this car by any means, but I do enjoy spirited driving and like to take tight corners!

Last edited by TiggaMan909; 06-25-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Simply un-true concerning pushing the limits

SH-AWD is on all the time, and helps all the time, regardless of weather conditions or how hard you push the car

Any turn I make I can watch the meter on the display showing the torque going to the wheel to help make the turn easier. There is no comparison between FWD and SH-AWD in the case of the TL - the SH-AWD system is simply amazing and brings the car to a new level.

I have no experience with the MDX, and can't comment on the difference, but I would imagine when talking about a much heavier vehicle with a higher center of gravity you're going to want all the help you can get to keep it on the road, so for my money it'd be SH-AWD
Old 06-25-2013, 01:34 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i've had both TL variants as loaners over 2-3 days each time. hands down the SHAWD TL is A LOT more fun to drive around corners. of course it is tuned differently than it's FWD counterpart (suspension, sway bars (i think)...outside of the engine).

your best bet would be to test drive both in the new MDX and see for yourself. you are the one that will buying the car in the end. if you do test drive both FWD and SHAWD MDXs....let us know.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by TiggaMan909
but I do enjoy spirited driving and like to take tight corners!
Then you'll enjoy a SH-AWD much more than a FWD. Test drive both and you'll see why (FWD first, then SH-AWD).
Old 06-25-2013, 01:56 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Agree that a proper test drive will ultimately decide my fate, but was just wondering if there was any official tests or reviews that was done against fwd vs. sh-awd.

Would love to see some actual numbers if they exist.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I have zero experience with the MDX so not sure how relevant this is. I am currently driving my third TL in a row, the first two were FWD......current one is SH-AWD. In all honesty they are completely different cars in terms of handling. I thought there would be a difference but not as much as there really is. As others have said you can literally "feel" the SH_AWD helping you around turns. I love it and there is no way I can return to the FWD.....this car spoiled me quickly.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 35 Posts
Agree that a proper test drive will ultimately decide my fate, but was just wondering if there was any official tests or reviews that was done against fwd vs. sh-awd.

Would love to see some actual numbers if they exist.

You don't need numbers... you can feel the difference like night and day. If my car-clueless wife (who once thought synthetic motor oil bottles were 'gasoline bottles') can sense an immediately difference during the test drive... I think you can too.

But hold on... I think the TL's implementation of SH-AWD is a little different compared to the MDX as it is more performance oriented on TL. I think I heard somewhere that the SH-AWD on MDX lacks the tuned suspension, steering, engine boost. Horsepower rating remains the same right? MDX's SH-system is just for the sake of having an AWD system... I may be wrong.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Originally Posted by mynameisjacob
But hold on... I think the TL's implementation of SH-AWD is a little different compared to the MDX as it is more performance oriented on TL. I think I heard somewhere that the SH-AWD on MDX lacks the tuned suspension, steering, engine boost. Horsepower rating remains the same right? MDX's SH-system is just for the sake of having an AWD system... I may be wrong.
This is exactly what I'm thinking. I believe the SH-AWD was offered on the MDX to simply accommodate those in snow country who really need an AWD vehicle and NOT for specific performance gains. IMO, the TL is engineered to be sport sedan so there probably more to it then just standard AWD.

I don't have have any proof or evidence to back this up but thats what these forums are for right!?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
The AWD will be faster since your wallet will be lighter

But seriously this is one of those questions that won't have a particular right answer. Sort of like "I can buy a car with a 300hp engine but maybe I should opt for the 340hp engine--should I do it". Naturally the greater the bells and whistles the "better" you feel. Until of course the model comes out with the 350hp engine.

If all you do is easy to-and-from work casual driving you probably won't derive the benefit of the AWD but if you do spirited driving you probably will. If you feel it is worth it to get the AWD (since you are asking it seems like you do) then go ahead and do it.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Another plus for the AWD is that you won't have torque steer like you have with the FWD
Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Racer

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I believe the SH-AWD was offered on the MDX to simply accommodate those in snow country who really need an AWD vehicle and NOT for specific performance gains. IMO, the TL is engineered to be sport sedan so there probably more to it then just standard AWD.

I don't have have any proof or evidence to back this up but thats what these forums are for right!?

I think the answers you seek will probably come from the MDX forums. If you were buying a TL... I'd recommend SH-AWD 1000%.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:34 PM
In Search Of Sunrise....

Appreciate the feedback guys! This has been helpful!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Racer

I read through the 2014 MDX specifications. From what I can gather, engine and chassis remain identical between FWD vs. SH-AWD. Looks like they just slap on the rear differential and call it a day.

In that case... I predict the SH-AWD MDX model will be slower than FWD. The engine bump to 3.7L 305HP on the TL is there to negate the performance loss caused by added weight and AWD drivetrain loss.

I've lived in DFW... and to be honest, if your test drive yields imperceptible differences in driving dynamics... I'd go with FWD. It's not worth the MPG loss and added maintenance costs to cover the 3 out of 365 days a year of possible snow. Heck... the city shuts down on 3 inches of snow anyway... you'll already be better off on FWD than all those RWD pickup trucks slippin' and slidin' on Bush Turnpike.
The following users liked this post:
TiggaMan909 (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Here is a handy Wikipedia snippet on the implementation of SH-AWD across the Acura lineup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SH-AWD#Implementation

They seem almost identical mechanically - save for a few small changes (ratios and such?). The biggest differences I found which would make sense due to the more performance oriented system in the TL:
MDX:
In hard cornering, up to 50 percent of available torque can be directed to the rear axle for enhanced chassis balance and increased cornering capability

TL:
In hard cornering and under acceleration, up to 70 percent of available torque can be directed to the rear wheels to enhance vehicle dynamics.
With less torque geared to the back the MDX will feel more FWD than the TL even with the SH-AWD. I am sure there are electronic control differences as well for when/how the AWD system responds.

I would test drive both and see how they feel and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
TiggaMan909 (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I don't think you can bridge a comparison between the two and I hope you wouldn't drive an AWD MDX as aggressively as a AWD TL, if you would/do then you're in the wrong vehicle. From what you described I'd get the FWD and enjoy the greater mpg.

In the TL the SH-AWD makes it blast to drive. Accelerating hard in the middle of a turn is an interesting, counter intuitive, exciting, etc, etc feeling. There's nothing I love more than some idiot tail gaiting me until some sort of turn comes along and they either have to slow down to the speed they should be driving or nearly crash trying to keep up; wish I had a dash cam facing back.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:09 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
After purchasing SH AWD vehicle, dang I am never going back to FWD only. Whats a few MPG loss.

20mpg to 30mpg does not save the same amount fuel as 10mpg to 20mpg.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlexG_6MT
Here is a handy Wikipedia snippet on the implementation of SH-AWD across the Acura lineup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SH-AWD#Implementation
I don't think that's accurate, or perhaps it's out of date. Check these two pages for the 2013 TL SH-AWD and the 2014 MDX SH-AWD.

http://www.acura.com/Features.aspx?m...allwheel_drive

http://www.acura.com/Features.aspx?m...allwheel_drive

It looks like it's the same for the two. Also, the MDX leverages the VSA system for Agile Handling Assist -- basically using the brakes to apply torque steer going into turns, and not only in emergency over/understeer situations. Not sure this is available for the TL (yet).

It's kind of crazy, but they tuned the MDX at the Nurburgring. It's still 4000+ lbs, but at least it handles well for a big vehicle.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:59 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

after looking over the comparison specs....the SHAWD MDX has slightly bigger front and rear sway bars along with the stability control differences: "Vehicle Stability Assist™(VSA®)12 using ABS, available SH-AWD®, throttle control and yaw, lateral G, speed & steering sensors"

SHAWD in the 2G MDX...makes the MDX handle like it wants to be a sedan. i know how my 3G TL handles with FWD and it's a noticeable difference. granted it's a sedan to CUV comparison, but for a 4500 lb CUV, the MDX (at least the 2G which is probably close to the 3G in the handling dept), handles itself quite nicely in turns and corners.

i've driven the 2G RDX loaners in FWD and AWD...noticeable. the AWD was much more confidence inspiring around turns, while the FWD was sloppy and tentative. so...tigga, you'll have to drive them back to back on the same test drive route and see what it feels like for yourself.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
The only downside to the shawd will be that its straight line speed will be a little slower, you will lose some mpg, and the ride quality will be a little rougher, otherwise its the better choice in all other aspects over the fwd.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 AM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 126 Likes on 109 Posts
Test drove used 2009 model in FWD and SHAWD. Because the tires were at around 50 km, when I hit then acellerator, relatively hard, the FWDs tires chirped a bit trying to get traction. I have had no issues with SHAWD. You hit the accelerator at a stop sign or off/on Ramp or traffic lights and it just goes. In the end, got the SHAWD because it performed and looked better. i.e. 18" rims.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:08 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
I've had 4 FWD CL's, & TL's
My 5th is a SH-AWD TL/Tech; no comparison; MUCH better handling; stiffer springs, etc.
Downside is a somewhat rough ride on NYC streets; great on the highway
If cost is not a factor, SH-AWD is the way to go!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Remember guys he's looking at an MDX which isn't really a great comparison to the TL drivetrains because the TL gets an extra 25hp to make up for the AWD and the MDX doesn't. My suggestion is if you plan to use the MDX as a highway/city cruiser I'd probably opt for the FWD, if you're getting it for use in snow or actually plan to use it on rough terrain and for pulling/towing things I'd get the SH-AWD hands down.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
Remember guys he's looking at an MDX which isn't really a great comparison to the TL drivetrains because the TL gets an extra 25hp to make up for the AWD and the MDX doesn't. My suggestion is if you plan to use the MDX as a highway/city cruiser I'd probably opt for the FWD, if you're getting it for use in snow or actually plan to use it on rough terrain and for pulling/towing things I'd get the SH-AWD hands down.

Exactly. He also stated he won't be encountering foul weather because of the region he lives in. And Yes I know SH-AWD isn't just for bad weather, but for the OP's need the AWD sounds like overkill.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
My guess is on a MDX the difference between SH-AWD and FWD for most people will be indistinguishable, unless Acura stiffened the suspension in the AWD like they did int he TL. I am willing to bet if you took 2 identical TLs and the only different were truly the SH-AWD vs. FWD and identical suspensions most people would not notice the difference. Acura stiffened the suspension in the SH-AW, plus the bolstered seats, etc makes that car feel night and day different handling than the FWD. I loved my SH-AWD ride, but realized only a small part was due to the SH-AWD itself and not the suspension, seat and tire changes.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
after looking over the comparison specs....the SHAWD MDX has slightly bigger front and rear sway bars along with the stability control differences: "Vehicle Stability Assist™(VSA®)12 using ABS, available SH-AWD®, throttle control and yaw, lateral G, speed & steering sensors"

MDX is a top heavy beast, hence the bigger sway bars.

OP, SH-AWD.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^yes, but even the 2G behaves like it wants to be a sedan. i've thought about doing the RSB mod to my MDX (swapping for the RSB on the sport model) just to decrease some of that body roll.

if i was in the market for the 3G MDX...SHAWD all the way, but i get snow and plenty of rain. i'm also a cornering junkie.