Freaking out, my engine just lost all of its oil on the highway in 3 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh
Just got the news, the oil filter gasket had a failure and that led to the oil spraying all over the exhaust (hence the smoke).
I hate to say it, but my gut reaction to this explanation is, "Yeah. Right."

I'd certainly keep all documentation of this, which would establish the dealer's liability through their use of this defective part, and I would further document the incident at your myacura.com site and anyplace else you keep your automotive records.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prepre, what is the purpose of the blue tape?
Old 10-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
There is a couple of reasons I do the blue tape thing... first, within the first 5,000 miles I had this car (almost all miles were highway) I had 4 rock chips in my paint and even a tiny crack in my windshield that was half the length of a dime! so being as how this is my first new car and I plan on keeping it as new as I can for as long as I can, I decided that I'm going to protect my paint everytime I drive long distances on the highway.

Since a bra for this car is around $300 I think, and because it would require taking off, putting on, washing, etc, I stick with painters tape for my heavy highway travel. Round trips to see my wife in TN are 1300 miles and round trips to my family in ohio are 1100 miles, so taping up the front end for $5.75 every roll of tape (I get two trips with one roll) makes it financially feasible to reapply tape for those long trips and when I'm done, I simply take the tape off and throw it away. Its usually covered with bugs and road debris too, so that let's me know it was woth it every time.

Also, there might be something to say about aerodynamics being improved on the car because I tend to try to position the tape around the headlight, grill, foglight area for increased smoothness of aerodynamics. It might not do anything, but you've got to admit that racers have been streamlining the front end of their cars for years for some kind of performance reason.

I get a lot of looks on the highway for sure, but I also get a lot of thumbs up from 20-somethings who probably think I'm tracking the car somewhere, haha.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldn't that cause some paint damage?
Old 10-16-2010, 01:44 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Painters tape uses a mild adhesive that usually doesnt leave a residue, but when it does, its easily removed with quick detailer and a mocrofiber cloth.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Colorado Springs

Originally Posted by Ronp8
Wouldn't that cause some paint damage?
Yeah, I'm surprised that everyone asks me about paint damage with tape that is designed to be put on the paint in your homes walls. Why would painters tape not take off home paint and not leave residue on the walls of your home, yet do the opposite o. A cars clear coated surface? That was always my train of thought when I first started doing it but I guess not everyone thinks that way,
Old 10-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
A couple comments for prepreludesh:

1. it sounds like you caught the failure in time since oil was still spewing after you shut off the motor. You had oil and wasn't running the motor dry. It would help to run with a Synthetic oil in the future (if you hadn't stopped the motor in time) because most Synthetics stick to the internals better and are more slippery and take more sheer force. There are technical terms for these traits at bobistheoilguy.com if you want to learn more. Only the dealer knows the cause- it could be a old seal or it could have been a loose filter. I had a VW Scirocco that had a suffered a front-end collision and my oil filter gave out the next week similar to you. I stopped the car and it was fine for 40k more miles until I sold the car even. My money would be on the incorrect torque of oil filter scenario.

I also experienced the old gasket issue on my next car after the VW which as a Prelude that had the filter in some hard to reach area near the firewall. In my case, the car was spewing oil when I started the engine after the oil change- it did not take time for that gasket to blow- just seconds. Ever since the Prelude incident I always look at or feel the metal flange that mates up to the filter as a precaution.

2. Instead of the blue painters tape, consider www.buyroadwrap.com instead- they make a nice clear tape that is much easier to install/remove and doesn't look so hideous. It comes in 6" or 12" widths and I find the 6" pretty easy to use. This is a great product for ding/scratch protection at a Airport parking lot too- I add it to the doors and side of the car in those situations.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a filter on my 06 TL go bad just after an oil change. Turns out the filter itself had a defect and developed a pin-sized hole that slowly leaked out all of the oil. The dealership was just up the road, so fixing it wasn't an issue and 100% covered since it was an Acura part. So I guess these kinds of things do happen.

And PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, because I sorta understand your logic about the painter's tape, BUT... You bought a $43K luxury car. It's well worth the expense and your time to buy the bra to protect the car instead.

Painter's tape?

Dude.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Colorado Springs

Originally Posted by jzacuto
I had a filter on my 06 TL go bad just after an oil change. Turns out the filter itself had a defect and developed a pin-sized hole that slowly leaked out all of the oil. The dealership was just up the road, so fixing it wasn't an issue and 100% covered since it was an Acura part. So I guess these kinds of things do happen.

And PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, because I sorta understand your logic about the painter's tape, BUT... You bought a $43K luxury car. It's well worth the expense and your time to buy the bra to protect the car instead.

Painter's tape?

Dude.
No offense taken, but like I said, I've driven this car over 25,000 miles from april to october. This isn't a run of the mill groccery getter because this car sees a lot of time on the highway. I only put this tape on when travelling distances of 500 miles or morein a single day, so its not like others see me with the tape up front around where I live because as soon as I arrive at the destination, tape gets peeled off and I'm left with a. perfectly smooth and clean surface underneath with paint that doesn't have the texture of an orange peel after 50k miles.

Besides, I haven't seen anyone driving around with a bra on their 4g probably because it looks ugly and also because I bet its a pain in the ass to install and uninstall and clean as frequently as I use my tape. So yeah, my $43k luxury car looks like a $43k luxury car 99% of the time, but the rest of the time it will continue to have great looking paint.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
glad it worked out alright for you and you didn't come across any major engine damage...
Old 10-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Advanced

Prepre, a couple of suggestions:
1) re stone protection, on another car which I was using for weekly long distance driving, similar to what you are doing, I had the 3M transparent film applied by the dealer: it's totally transparent, flexible and still looks good five years on. The cost was approx. $400 for the front and mirrors on a very large car.
2) going forward in order to monitor potential damage or abnormal wear from the lack of lubrication you may want to send a sample of your oil regularly to Blackstone Labs for analysis (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/). The cost is approx. 30 dollars, the sample can be easily taken with their hand pump without changing the oil, and their database is phenomenal: they will report on all the chemicals in your oil and compare them with what is normal for your engine type with the specified mileage and the specified oil. The report shows any values that are outside the norm, just like a bolld test report for a human. They also include a brief narrative that interprets the report, and if you let them know what happened they will look for specific tell-tale signs, such as a higher-than-normal amount of chromium (piston rings). I have been sending them samples from all my cars for years now, typically at the oil change but more often for engines that I have reason to believe are stressed or high-mileage. By the way, I do not work for them nor have any monetary interest in their company, I just found out about them from a Car&Driver article many years ago.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G Express
You are an idiot. I offer you no points and may God have mercy on your soul
Call me an idiot if you want, I see bad business at some dealerships as well as some issues that happened to me, like my mothers Sentra she used to have, she took it in for a head gasket, i look over everything when she got home because she complained it starting stuttering halfway home, found vicegrips on the fuel line.

Thank you for bashing me with your closemindedness, and yes God loves my soul because me him and Jesus will be kicking it on the clouds with chicken and purple drank.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
i work at a honda dealer and yes the ones doing the easier jobs are different ppl than the regular techs. and honda and acura have different district reps. my father is a district rep for American honda. also i do agree that not all dealerships are bad.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
sorry to hear about your car. that's a horrible thing to have happen
Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Old thread why did this pop back up? OP did this happen soon after the dealer did an O/F change?

re read the thread and it wasn't clear to me

I think there was an issue with honda CRVs were the oil filter o rings were sticking from the old filter or something like that and even starting exhaust fires?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 PM
8th Gear

Sorry, but what is the point of the blue painters tape?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TLGuyNJ
Sorry, but what is the point of the blue painters tape?
see post #43 above

(OP was driving a camouflaged early test mule of the 2012 4G - and they wanted to keep the new front end under wraps)
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
if you're not careful, those bras can scratch your paint. If any dust or sand manages to find it's way between the bra and your car..... Or if for some reason the bra comes loose and starts flapping around.....scratches.