Freaking out, my engine just lost all of its oil on the highway in 3 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:23 AM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Freaking out, my engine just lost all of its oil on the highway in 3 minutes

I have no idea how it happened but I started my journey to clarksville, tn from richmond, va this morning at 6:30am and at 7:4t, while maintaining a cruise controlled speed of 75mph on I-64, I noticed my exhaust began to spew out a heavy cloud of white-ish smoke from the exhaust. I quickly looked at my temperature gauge (fine) and then switched to my tire pressure on my MID (maybe a brake caliper was stuck?) And it was fine. The car seemed to be running fine with no hiccups or abnormal noises. I figured that it probably was some of the blue painters tape that I put on the front of the car, and a strip came off and attached to the exhaust and was burning. This made the most sense to me because after 3 minutes, the smoke lessened considerably. That's when an exit came up and my "check oil level" light on the MID came on. I pulled off on the offramp immediately and shut my car off. I got out and opened the hood and smelled burning oil so I looked under the car and watch as the last 3/4 quart or so of oil came literally pouring out (not dripping).

I called acura roadside assistance and now a towtruck is coming to my car to take it all the way back to richmond to crown acura (where I just got an oil change last weekend). I'm fucked if they pinpoint my takeda intake as somehow causing all of this :-( even though I don't know how it could.

Ill keep you all posted and upload the pictures I took when I get a chance. Wish me luck.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:29 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Wow, does not sound good. Good luck and let us know what's up. I bet Dealer screwed up something.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:34 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Old 10-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
how would the tire pressure on the mid tell you that you have a stuck brake caliper....

keep us posted...
Old 10-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
How recent was that oil change. It's possible that maybe they didn't close up everything like they should have when they finished the change...
Old 10-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
There is no way the intake will affect your warranty. The Intake has nothing to do with oil leaking from your car. Just hope you did not incur any engine damage.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Agree with others. Dealer probably screwed something up with the oil change. No way the intake has anything to do with oil. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
most likely the dealer screwed up, they are notorious for stuff like this ... hopefully no engine damage, and if there is, the dealer better cough up the cash to replace it with a new one. best of luck to you, keep us posted
Old 10-08-2010, 09:03 AM
Colorado Springs

Originally Posted by vinnier6
how would the tire pressure on the mid tell you that you have a stuck brake caliper....

keep us posted...
I figured if there was a stuck caliper, the increased friction on the rotor and tire would heat the wheel up and increase the psi? I don't know, what would you have done with the gauges in front of you? I looked for anything out of the norm on the readouts.

I'm here at crown acura as we speak. From as far as me and the tow truck driver can tell, the oil came from the front main seal (passenger side of engine) area. It did get all over the jpipe still but the guy at the dealership is looking over it as we speak. Ill probably know what happened in an hour or two.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:47 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
definitely dealer related foul-up..... maybe they didnt tighten the oil filter, or didnt use the proper o-ring on the oil pan
Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Colorado Springs

Just got the news, the oil filter gasket had a failure and that led to the oil spraying all over the exhaust (hence the smoke). They said since I turned off the car in time that I'm probably good internally, but they are filling it up with oil now and then will turn on the car and check for abnormal noises, some other check and even do a compression check. This sucks that its taken such a huge hit out of my day that I was supposed to be seeing my wife, but at least it wasn't something catastrophic on the inside of the engine. Obviously its all under warranty and didn't even cost me anything for the tow (thank you acura roadside assistance!)

Also, my dad and I just talked and he says that the oil filter might have an old rubber seal/gasket on it that wasn't fully taken off from the last oil change and when the new oil filter was put on, it was put on top of the old one and caused the failure due to two gaskets sealing improperly. When I spoke to the service manager about this possibility, he said that wouldn't happen or the oil would start spewing out immediately upon start up of the car after the oil change. I don't know which to believe, but ill post up final results as they happen.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tell them the only way to be 100% certain of no motor issues is to see the inside of the motor yourself.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Get a signed record of what happened from the dealers manager accepting responsibility incase you get expensive noises down the road.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Get a signed record of what happened from the dealers manager accepting responsibility incase you get expensive noises down the road.
This.
Cover your bases
Old 10-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
this is a lesson to everyone! check your shit before you leave the dealership!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
this is a lesson to everyone! do your own shit and dont go to the dealership!
fixored.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
LONG, long long time ago I had my stupid hat on...changed my oil and didn't check for the rubber ring....On start up my old jeep begin spewing oil..So yes the dealer has a point..
Old 10-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
dayam! effin screw up...Hopefully no internal damager.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
They should give you at least a year of free oil changes for being idiots!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by prepreludesh
Just got the news, the oil filter gasket had a failure and that led to the oil spraying all over the exhaust (hence the smoke). They said since I turned off the car in time that I'm probably good internally, but they are filling it up with oil now and then will turn on the car and check for abnormal noises, some other check and even do a compression check. This sucks that its taken such a huge hit out of my day that I was supposed to be seeing my wife, but at least it wasn't something catastrophic on the inside of the engine. Obviously its all under warranty and didn't even cost me anything for the tow (thank you acura roadside assistance!)

Also, my dad and I just talked and he says that the oil filter might have an old rubber seal/gasket on it that wasn't fully taken off from the last oil change and when the new oil filter was put on, it was put on top of the old one and caused the failure due to two gaskets sealing improperly. When I spoke to the service manager about this possibility, he said that wouldn't happen or the oil would start spewing out immediately upon start up of the car after the oil change. I don't know which to believe, but ill post up final results as they happen.
Had a very similar situation with my 97 Prelude many years back. Oil was pouring out from under the car. Not sure if it was the same thing but in my situation it was the "oil filter adapter" or essentially where the oil filter screws in that was faulty. I had the same warning you got (oil light) meaning I had barely any oil left in the engine. FWIW, that was when my Lude had about 100K on it. It has about 80K more on it now and has had no further engine issues.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
You should be OK. These cars are built tough. Many years ago, my current dealer, on my very first service visit there, forgot to replace the oil fill cap after a change on my wife's Integra.

We went driving down the freeway for 120 miles, no smoke, no smell, no lights. When we hit the exit ramp, the burning oil smoke was everywhere. Got the car pulled over, immediately saw the problem and called AAA. They towed the car home and I called the dealer. It was at least 2 quarts low with oil coating everything under the hood.

The dealer apologized profusely, cleaned the engine bay, did all the diagnostics and promised the engine was OK. Many years later we sold the mighty Integra (great car) and it never missed a beat, used a drop of oil or ran anything other than brilliantly.

All this to say, I think you likely got it shut down quickly enough to prevent damage. But if not, it's clearly on the dealer. You might ask them to comp you an extended powertrain warranty, just for the peace of mind factor and for your inconvenience.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:37 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Some crazy incidents happening here lately. Best of luck to you OP
Old 10-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
sure sounds like whoever changed the oil didn't tighten the oil filter enough, or as others said - oil ring left from old filter?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
very common, to leave the old gasket from the filter stuck in there and put the new filter with new gasket right on top of it...there is no way to really check this when you pick up the car from an oil change...

i would think the engine is ok, your computer kicked on the warning and you shut it down, so i would think there is little to no chance you did damage, not to mention, things will stay lubed up for a short time with zero oil in there....
Old 10-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by AMUA6
Some crazy incidents happening here lately. Best of luck to you OP
Times are still hard dealers are doing everything they can to keep business, but the wrong way.

But I change my own oil since its very easy to do.

Dealers are real sketchy right now I would steer clear of any dealer right now

I went and looked at a used RSX for only 5k...it was a flood car, smelled like a zoo and they guy was trying to keep me out of the trunk, like I won't look back there.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Prepre, I'm glad this worked out OK. Keep updating this and let us know if you experience any other issues.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 536 Likes on 345 Posts
Wow crazy stuff, prepreludesh, and it sounds as if you did everything right so I wouldn't be too worried about long-term damage.

Originally Posted by OperationDarkie
I went and looked at a used RSX for only 5k...it was a flood car, smelled like a zoo and they guy was trying to keep me out of the trunk, like I won't look back there.
LOL I could picture it now, "No no, there's no need to look in the trunk...so why don't we go ahead and get the paperwork ready?!?"
Old 10-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Times are still hard dealers are doing everything they can to keep business, but the wrong way. What?

Dealers are real sketchy right now I would steer clear of any dealer right now You should choose who you do ANY business with carefully. There are bad people and bad dealers everywhere, but there are plenty of good ones too.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Times are still hard dealers are doing everything they can to keep business, but the wrong way.

Dealers are real sketchy right now I would steer clear of any dealer right now

You are an idiot. I offer you no points and may God have mercy on your soul
Old 10-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G Express
You are an idiot. I offer you no points and may God have mercy on your soul

Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,181 Likes on 689 Posts
Sucks and I would have to go with a dealer screw up too. I think it was 1999, I got my oil changed at the dealer and when I started my CL, I heard a loud noise under the hood and noticed something roll along side my car. Come to find out, they laid the oil cap on the engine and when I started the car, it rattled loose and hit the fan or something causing the noise. Everything was fine and they apologized but these things do happen.

A few months later a seal let go and the oil blew all over the highway and the car was towed. Come to find out, it was a seal that was later recalled and the car ran for miles w/o oil. That was about 80k and it was totaled at 298,000 with no problems

You're good but get a letter like the others said
Old 10-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Intermediate

The dealership can offer you with permission from the Acura Service Rep an extra powertrain warranty to cover the engine past the normal year/mileage restrictions. I would push them to do this. You never really will know what damage has been done until a bearing has spun or something of the sorts.

Remember the oil change guys at the dealership are not the same guys doing the normal service work. These are usually untrained guys working minimum wage.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by kermitson
The dealership can offer you with permission from the Acura Service Rep an extra powertrain warranty to cover the engine past the normal year/mileage restrictions. I would push them to do this. You never really will know what damage has been done until a bearing has spun or something of the sorts.

Remember the oil change guys at the dealership are not the same guys doing the normal service work. These are usually untrained guys working minimum wage.
x2
Old 10-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Colorado Springs

Where does the Service Rep actually work? At the dealership? Or is this person somebody at corporate Acura? I'd love to get an extended powertrain warranty because even though the warranty on that is something like 6 years/ 70,000 miles, I'm already at 25,000 miles in less than a year and will probably hit that 70,000 in 4 years or so?

BTW, if the Service Rep actually works at the dealership, and doesn't give me an extended warranty, can i call corporate Acura and fight it there as well?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^The service rep does not work at the dealership. He works for Acura corporate and approves or authorizes questionable warranty claims. He is the arbiter of sorts.

I don't see why Acura Corp would pay for an extended warranty if it is determined that it's a local dealers fault. At that point, the dealer should pay for the extended powertrain warranty, no need for Acura corporate to get involved.

If it's a parts failure as indicated, it falls more to Acura (assumes it was a genuine Honda filter). This is definitely not a 'cut and dried' situation and I would continue to discuss it with the Service Rep if possible. He normally travels between several dealerships in the region so you need to find out when he'll be at your local store.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Colorado Springs

Here are some of the pictures of that fateful morning. Yes, I coasted backwards with the car off and saw that trail of oil...

Name:  IMG_1524.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  161.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1525.jpg
Views: 2699
Size:  152.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1526.jpg
Views: 2723
Size:  281.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1535.jpg
Views: 2608
Size:  73.3 KB

Here's the rear bumper being coated with a fine mist of oil droplets all over. I'd hate to know what I did to the couple of cars I passed while it was spewing out in that smokey mixture!

Name:  IMG_1527.jpg
Views: 2671
Size:  93.3 KB
Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 846 Posts
Good ol Crown... who was your service writer?

Shame we dont have another dealer in RVa
Old 10-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Intermediate

Correct, the Acura Service Rep works for Acura (and sometimes for Honda at the same time in some areas)and usually has a region he is responsible. Someone mentioned that Acura would probably not be responsible for the extended warranty cost, but they would be the one for force the dealership to offer it on a good will basis(customer relations). Acura and Honda are known for the customer relations being top notch.

I can tell you that the Service Rep has a lot of control on what happens in the service dept of a dealership. They have the right to approve or deny any warranty claims. This means money to the dealership so when the Rep says jump they ask how high! Ask to speak to the rep and watch how the dealership will start to make things right.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Damn, pics make me sad
Old 10-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hope all works out and you get that extended warranty.

Yeah can't imagine driving behind you or worst off riding a motorcycle!

Quick Reply: Freaking out, my engine just lost all of its oil on the highway in 3 minutes