Fog Light Replacement -- Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fog Light Replacement -- Need Help

I just bought Phillips 5000k H11's to replace the OEM bulbs on my 2010 TL SHAWD. Last night I tried doing the installation and failed miserably. I read the instructions in the manual (and followed them), which told me to take out the wheel-well liner, and spoiler to gain access to the bulbs. It seemed straight forward and simple.

When attempting to unhook the Driver's side bulb, the manual says "press the tab and pull down". Pressing that tab down was nearly impossible. I also tried taking the housing out -- which would be a 1/4 turn counter-clockwise. It would only move 1/8th a turn at best and not budge. I gave up and tried the passenger side. To only find that the windshield washer reservoir completely blocks any access to the bulbs.

Is there any way to do this without taking the bumper off? It seems like taking my bumper off is an unnecessary 5hr process to change a simple light bulb. Has anyone else run into a similar problem? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/g-005-how-install-hid-fog-light-kit-4th-gen-tl-863117/
The following users liked this post:
pdemers (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skier4lyfe303
Thanks, I found that when I was searching for the correct bulbs last week, but the pictures don't display. That seems to be exactly how I did attempted the installation.

However, I'm not sure how they got passed the windshield washer reservoir on the passenger side without removing the bumper.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pdemers
Thanks, I found that when I was searching for the correct bulbs last week, but the pictures don't display. That seems to be exactly how I did attempted the installation.

However, I'm not sure how they got passed the windshield washer reservoir on the passenger side without removing the bumper.
You can easily just pick up the windshield washer container up and place it on top of the radiator. It is not bolted in and is removable. The H11s are a bit tight when it comes to loosening so you do have to put some strength into it when u twist. If you are unable to twist then try to use some pliers.
pdemers (04-04-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ItzRocky
You can easily just pick up the windshield washer container up and place it on top of the radiator. It is not bolted in and is removable. The H11s are a bit tight when it comes to loosening so you do have to put some strength into it when u twist. If you are unable to twist then try to use some pliers.
I actually have to correct myself. Sorry but I gave you the wrong information. You CANNOT remove the windshield washer container. I was actually thinking of the antifreeze/coolant container. You can actually lift the car and reach in from under the car to remove the fog lights.
pdemers (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
Get access to under the car... ramps or just slide under if you're stock height... pull the two side inspection panels... they are on either side under the front of the car... access is easy from there... I ran the relay harness and pulled the front bumper since I was doing other things at the time... but went back and fixed a few things from those panels... it's a couple of push pins and 10mm bolts...
pdemers (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ItzRocky
I actually have to correct myself. Sorry but I gave you the wrong information. You CANNOT remove the windshield washer container. I was actually thinking of the antifreeze/coolant container. You can actually lift the car and reach in from under the car to remove the fog lights.
I figured lol that thing was not moving. I was able to do it just by removing the 3 tabs in the wheel-well and 1 screw from spoiler. I figured out the trick is you need very small hands/arms. So I had my friend do it. Took the bulb out of socket first then got the clip off. Going from underneath is easier said then done.

Thank you for your help!
Attached Thumbnails Fog Light Replacement -- Need Help-photo1.jpg