Factory Bumper to Bumper Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Factory Bumper to Bumper Warranty Question

Hi Guys

the factory bumper to bumper warranty is about to expire in about 2k miles.

current miles :47900

should i have the dealer do a check throughout the car make sure everything is set before it expires?

let me know what you guys think!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
IMO just follow all services as manual says... Acura is reliable car, if you want to sleep better, buy extended warranty
Old 04-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
But don't buy it from your dealer unless you want to pay $2400 for it. You can get the "real deal" AcuraCare extended warranty online for half of what your dealer wants for it (although it may be too late now to buy it)
Old 06-30-2014, 06:21 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to this forum, just bought 14 RLX, paid $2200 for 8yr/120K extended warranty (after CPO 5 yr/62K mile). Keep or cancel warranty?

Finance guy sold me on all the computer stuff that could go bad on the car (typical Phase 2 of buying a car). so I caved. Keep or cancel warranty? (still within 3 business days)
Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I always find that part of car shopping funny. The sales guy tells you how reliable and bulletproof the car is, then they tell you you'll need the extended warranty because shit's gonna go wrong with it.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:14 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
The sales guy is ripping customers off for his sales commission, and the finance guy is ripping customers off to make sure his financial book will look good.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
My car has the majority of the bumper to bumper warranty still remaining.

The finance guy also gave me a ridiculously hard sell on the way over-priced extended warranty, and was visibly pissed when I politely said 'no thank you'.

Continued to hard sell me. Showing me all kinds of graphs, and insinuating that the electronics on my car were on the verge of exploding at any time.

The 'warranty' would have been in the $2200 - $2400 range.

Just doing his job, no doubt. But I shouldn't have to say no more than once.

This was at Crown Honda in Holland, MI.

Originally Posted by areza15143
New to this forum, just bought 14 RLX, paid $2200 for 8yr/120K extended warranty (after CPO 5 yr/62K mile). Keep or cancel warranty?

Finance guy sold me on all the computer stuff that could go bad on the car (typical Phase 2 of buying a car). so I caved. Keep or cancel warranty? (still within 3 business days)
Old 07-02-2014, 03:55 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
I purchased my 2012 less almost a month ago with just under 55,000km on it and after some deliberation, ended up purchasing the Acura Plus warranty for 7/160,000km.
Here's my rationale for it:
  • I like the car and plan to keep it for at least 5 years.
  • Here in Canukistan, dealership labour rate is pricey especially for luxury vehicles.
  • More stuff to break on an AWD car.
  • The Acura Plus covered 99% of what's in the bumper to bumper.
  • My biggest fear is the electronics and sensors going haywire.
  • The climate is such here that the car takes a beating in the winter especially if we have more like the last one.

The next day after buying the car from a used dealership, I went to the Acura dealership that the car was bought from and they confirmed that the car was serviced there and all but told me that it would have to go trough a full check-up before they sell me the extended warranty and if all was good, the labour rate will be absorbed and all i would have to pay was for the warranty itself!

I didn't feel comfortable with that suggestion cause I could sense I was gonna get screwed over by them. Why would I need a full assessment if they had all the maintenance records and knew the car well?
So I emailed the other 5 Acura dealerships within an hour of me and got quotes for the warranty and ended up price matching with the lowest price and buying from the dealership that gave me the best customer service via email!
They didn't even look at the car when I went to sign and pay for it!
Old 07-02-2014, 04:24 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Unless the factory extended warranty is bought for a brand new vehicle, otherwise it is common practice for a dealer to go through a full check-up of the used vehicle before selling the factory extended warranty, especially if the used vehicle is more than a few years old.

The purpose of the check-up is not to screw the customer, but to find out and repair any hidden problem with the used vehicle, under the factory standard warranty coverage. This is to prevent the hidden problems from carrying over into the factory extended warranty coverage.

Sometimes this is beneficial to customers, because some components, such as shock absorbers, are not covered under the extended warranty.

In addition, the customer will have nothing to lose, since the check-up cost will be absorbed by the dealer if the customer ends up buying the extended warranty.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:29 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Unless the factory extended warranty is bought for a brand new vehicle, otherwise it is common practice for a dealer to go through a full check-up of the used vehicle before selling the factory extended warranty, especially if the used vehicle is more than a few years old.

The purpose of the check-up is not to screw the customer, but to find out and repair any hidden problem with the used vehicle, under the factory standard warranty coverage. This is to prevent the hidden problems from carrying over into the factory extended warranty coverage.

Sometimes this is beneficial to customers, because some components, such as shock absorbers, are not covered under the extended warranty.

In addition, the customer will have nothing to lose, since the check-up cost will be absorbed by the dealer if the customer ends up buying the extended warranty.
I agree but they only mentioned the full inspection after they found out that the vehicle was not purchased from their dealership even though it was originally sold and serviced there. And they were also pushy about purchasing it ASAP!
Plus it went trough a full safety inspection when I bought it will brake service and all.