Engine warm-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016 | 09:35 PM
Racer

Engine warm-up

Hi
I am asking about engine warm-up. I read some article that not suggesting warming up the car when start up. over 5 minutes idle will damage the engine and pollute the environment.
I feel that if not warm up the car in the morning, the engine sounds total different from getting warmed up.
What do you guys think?
Old 01-27-2016 | 09:53 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Originally Posted by lltfly
Hi
I am asking about engine warm-up. I read some article that not suggesting warming up the car when start up. over 5 minutes idle will damage the engine and pollute the environment.
I feel that if not warm up the car in the morning, the engine sounds total different from getting warmed up.
What do you guys think?
It's actually very healthy for the car to warm it up in the morning before you start driving in colder weather. If you're driving in a cold climate let it warm up to the first line on your thermo gauge. In the first 1-5 minutes is where most engine damage can occur or like 60/80%. Should only need to run it for 2-3 minutes.

Shouldn't be a big deal if you run it for 5 minutes. Volkswagen has already done worse lmao
Old 01-27-2016 | 10:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes it does sound different (leaner a/f mixture, increased piston clearance, etc). I'm a mechanical engineer that used to design rotating machinery. My philosophy from experience and training is let the engine run 10-20 seconds after you start it. Also, take it easy on the car until it warms up. The internal components expand differently (rates, etc) until it warmed up. You might run it longer if its very cold outside. There is NO "correct" answer to your question. 5 minutes does sound a bit excessive unless you just want to get the cabin heater working.
Old 01-27-2016 | 10:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by lltfly
Hi
What do you guys think?
I've always wondered about this. I've lived somewhere that has single digit winters and have always let my car warm up at least 5-10min in those temps. Had a good friend of mine who has a 87 accord as a back and forth to work beater that is still going strong with 346,000 miles and he lets it warm up sometimes 20 minutes in the winter. Doesn't seem to have negatively affected the engine, as to the environment that's probably another issue.
Old 01-27-2016 | 10:38 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Originally Posted by Velocity350
I've always wondered about this. I've lived somewhere that has single digit winters and have always let my car warm up at least 5-10min in those temps. Had a good friend of mine who has a 87 accord as a back and forth to work beater that is still going strong with 346,000 miles and he lets it warm up sometimes 20 minutes in the winter. Doesn't seem to have negatively affected the engine, as to the environment that's probably another issue.
Shouldn't need to run it for 20 minutes that's really excessive. 2-3 min's should do the trick maybe 5-7 in -40 degrees celcius but anything from -12 to 1 degree celcius i'd say 2-3 mins.
Old 01-27-2016 | 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Don't warm up the car more than 5 minutes or idle for long periods of time. Idling an engine can contribute and start oil consumption.
Old 01-27-2016 | 10:56 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JasonK
Shouldn't need to run it for 20 minutes that's really excessive. 2-3 min's should do the trick maybe 5-7 in -40 degrees celcius but anything from -12 to 1 degree celcius i'd say 2-3 mins.
I agree. I don't think he was intentionally letting it run for 20 min, he was never in much of a hurry. Just saying it doesn't seem to have decreased the longevity of the engine.
Old 01-27-2016 | 11:01 PM
09 TL SH AWD /w TECH

Originally Posted by Velocity350
I agree. I don't think he was intentionally letting it run for 20 min, he was never in much of a hurry. Just saying it doesn't seem to have decreased the longevity of the engine.
It goes to show. When you take care of your car and do the scheduled maintenance it last longer. When you don't you end up with a 4-5 thousand dollar repair like the Audi I'm working on in this shop tomorrow
Old 01-28-2016 | 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by csmeance
Don't warm up the car more than 5 minutes or idle for long periods of time. Idling an engine can contribute and start oil consumption.
I'm curious as to the rationale for this.
Old 01-28-2016 | 12:02 PM
Cruisin'

Always let it warm up at least until ur temp needle starts to move....
allow the oil to circulate through all parts of the engine
let the engine reach its normal operating temperature
reduce engine wear and prolong its life

if u dont warm up the car ur reving the motor without fully lubrication specially in a 6 cylinder u need to remember the oils has to reach the last cylinder and when its cold outside oil thickens and takes longer to circulate
Old 01-28-2016 | 06:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 14SH-AWD

if u dont warm up the car ur reving the motor without fully lubrication specially in a 6 cylinder u need to remember the oils has to reach the last cylinder and when its cold outside oil thickens and takes longer to circulate
I think every car is different... The cars with sweeping tachometers I think needs to be let WOT for warm up and ours don't. Further, our cars also don't have a moving red line according to the engine temperature.
Old 01-28-2016 | 09:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
I'm curious as to the rationale for this.
I imagine it has to do with a lack of load on the engine but I'm unsure. I've lost 1/2 quart of oil in my 760 ilding in a parking lot talking on the phone multiple times. Never happened on long road trips or during any other point in time.

Originally Posted by 14SH-AWD

The oil is already circulating when the engine starts, hence the oil pump. Doesn't matter the # of cylinders. My 760 has 12 and it starts up without issues in -10F temps.

If you were to leave the car to idle until operating temp it'd take 10 minutes!
Old 01-28-2016 | 09:47 PM
Pro

Doesn't matter what the temp is I like to give it 30sec to 1 min before go anywhere if it is a cold start. Course I am easy with it until the engine is up to normal operating temp.

If it is below 10 degree Ill use the remote starter for on avg 4 to 7 min before I head out
Old 01-29-2016 | 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm no mechanic but everything I've read recently about this topic indicates that the best way to warm the engine is by driving it, not letting it idle. The consensus seems to be start driving within 20 seconds of igniting the engine. Be gentle and easy on the throttle until the temperature gauge is in the normal operating range.
The following users liked this post:
HeartTLs (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016 | 03:52 PM
Drifting

Thank you for the input Reorge! I use to let my cars warm up for 5-10 min during cold temperatures but after reading many articles on the matter, many seem to suggest as a35tl would agree that it's best to just keep the rpm low until the engine warms up. I keep it under 3K until it does.
Old 01-30-2016 | 12:12 AM
Instructor

In our winter, I usually let the rpm drops to normal range, which is below 1000rpm. But if it is -30 to -40 Celsius outside, I'll let it run until the interior gets a little warmer before driving it.

The main point is DO NOT drive HARD when the oil is not at it's normal temperature, which is the middle on the guage
Old 02-07-2016 | 01:55 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

With my OEM remote engine starter, I let it run for 10 minutes max. Even if I go into car after 10 minutes, (15 min) the car is a good temperature family.
Old 02-08-2016 | 02:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by echodigital
With my OEM remote engine starter, I let it run for 10 minutes max. Even if I go into car after 10 minutes, (15 min) the car is a good temperature family.
Sometimes for us in our kinda extreme climate like -40 with wind chill, 10 minutes is not warm enough without plugging in block heater
Old 02-08-2016 | 02:46 PM
Racer

I have never once let my car warm up, I just follow my routine maintenance and I have never had a major engine issue. I generally keep cars until they reach 240,000 miles (~Distance to the moon), but I have kept several over 300K. Even when I was in Wisconsin I did not waste time warming them up. I don't push it when its cold, but I drive it normally.

If the engine starts and continues to run, except for some obvious major issues that may occur, it is being lubricated and it is working. If car engines have to warm up for a few minutes for the oil reached all cylinders, than they were designed so poorly they won't last more than a few miles anyway.
Old 02-10-2016 | 10:02 AM
Instructor

LMAO bad for the environment? Who said that?
BigDTL (02-18-2016)
Old 02-12-2016 | 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by a35tl
I'm no mechanic but everything I've read recently about this topic indicates that the best way to warm the engine is by driving it, not letting it idle. The consensus seems to be start driving within 20 seconds of igniting the engine. Be gentle and easy on the throttle until the temperature gauge is in the normal operating range.
I keep seeing posts like this, and it makes me shake my head. I don't think there's any doubt that driving (putting a load on the engine) will warm the car up faster than idling. That's not the question, though. The point of getting in the car is to drive it, not to idle it. It's not a choice between the two...the driving is going to happen. The question is, will it be better for the vehicle generally to allow it to warm up without a load prior to "take off". In my opinion, the answer is yes, though it doesn't have to idle for more than 30 seconds to a couple of minutes, depending on ambient temperatures.

If what you're looking for is warm air coming out of the vents, then yes, driving (putting a load on the engine) will achieve that faster. But that's a different question. And that doesn't change my position that letting the engine "warm" first.

A buddy of mine has a simple approach; he starts the car, but doesn't put it in gear until the tach drops. His cars last forever (course he takes good care of them in other ways as well).
Old 02-12-2016 | 10:38 AM
Burning Brakes

I usually let my cars idle for like 30 seconds. Then take it easy until the engine warms up.

The main reason is I park my cars in my attached garage, so it will be a hazard if I let it idle for too long.
Old 02-12-2016 | 10:46 AM
Racer

Warming Up Your Car in the Cold Just Harms the Engine

In the thick of winter, the common wisdom is that when you are gearing up to take your truck out in the cold and snow, you should step outside, start up your engine, and let it idle to warm up. But contrary to popular belief, this does not prolong the life of your engine; in fact, it decreases it by stripping oil away from the engine's cylinders and pistons.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...efore-driving/

Idling in winter thus has no benefit to your (presumably modern) car. Auto experts today say that you should warm up the car no more than 30 seconds before you start driving in winter.
Old 02-12-2016 | 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
I keep seeing posts like this, and it makes me shake my head. I don't think there's any doubt that driving (putting a load on the engine) will warm the car up faster than idling. That's not the question, though. The point of getting in the car is to drive it, not to idle it. It's not a choice between the two...the driving is going to happen. The question is, will it be better for the vehicle generally to allow it to warm up without a load prior to "take off". In my opinion, the answer is yes, though it doesn't have to idle for more than 30 seconds to a couple of minutes, depending on ambient temperatures.

If what you're looking for is warm air coming out of the vents, then yes, driving (putting a load on the engine) will achieve that faster. But that's a different question. And that doesn't change my position that letting the engine "warm" first.

A buddy of mine has a simple approach; he starts the car, but doesn't put it in gear until the tach drops. His cars last forever (course he takes good care of them in other ways as well).
I keep seeing posts like this, and it makes me shake my head. That's not the question, though.

The bolded is purely speculative and subjective.. What if I told you i never warm up my car and my car lasts forever and a day
a35tl (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016 | 03:37 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm no car expert...never claimed to be one. But the guy who wrote this article certainly isn't one, either. When he says "Even though warm air generated by the radiator will flow into the cabin after a few minutes, idling does surprisingly little to warm the actual engine.", that tells me he doesn't even understand where that warm air comes from.

I'll take my chances and let my car warm for a minute before taking off...particularly in winter. It typically gets cold enough here that failing to do so just means that you'll have to stop down the block and wait for the windows to defog. I'd rather idle a minute in my driveway, instead of down the street.
Old 02-18-2016 | 08:01 AM
Cruisin'

I imagine it has to do with a lack of load on the engine but I'm unsure. I've lost 1/2 quart of oil in my 760 ilding in a parking lot talking on the phone multiple times. Never happened on long road trips or during any other point in time.

The oil is already circulating when the engine starts, hence the oil pump. Doesn't matter the # of cylinders. My 760 has 12 and it starts up without issues in -10F temps.

If you were to leave the car to idle until operating temp it'd take 10 minutes!
I always let my cars warm and never had issue not one of my cars burn oil and in the winter i let it run the remote start for as long as it takes (about 10 min) and no issues at all... Now on the other hand im not surprised ur BMW burns oil.... All german cars do Specially VW Audi and BMW i have brand new X6M with like 8000 miles low on oil which is one reason ill never drive one....now loosing 1/2 quart while idling im sorry i would have traded it a long time ago.....