Does anyone have the underbody spoiler kit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have the underbody spoiler kit?

Hi Everyone (sorry if you read that like Dr. Dick from the Simpsons),

I am a new 4G TL owner. Traded in my 04 TSX for one recently. So far, I love my car. Before I purchased the car, I opted for the underbody spoiler kit (front, rear, and sides). It looks really nice but I noticed a gap between the rear underbody spoiler and the rear bumper on the "corners" of the rear bumper (if you can understand what that meant). I asked the dealer about it and they said there is nothing they can do about it. Does this sound right? Does anyone else have one of these and can let me know how their kit fits?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Have a look see at this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-photograph-gallery-296/stage-1-underbody-kit-headlights-736252/
Old 10-06-2009, 01:03 PM
7th Gear

Thanks. His car certainly does look nice and the thread is helpful but I didn't see him address anything about the rear bumper not fitting. Is that why he had to cut it?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:31 PM
Cruisin'

i think i know what you're talking about. Is it on the inside of the wheel wells? If so, then yes, I see the same thing. I was checking it out the other day and it didnt seem to not fit; just had a gap.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hubbard53
i think i know what you're talking about. Is it on the inside of the wheel wells? If so, then yes, I see the same thing. I was checking it out the other day and it didnt seem to not fit; just had a gap.
If you are talking about the rear kit meeting at both edges at the wheel well then yes I have the exact thing. I can actually see a little bit of the black gasket that separates the spoiler and the bumper.

I complained that the install wasn't flush but they assured me that there is no way around it. I believe them, they have been very honest with me since purchase.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
(as mentioned in PM)

The OP is concerned with the GAPS between the lip and the bumper... on the outer corners of the bumper...

I do have those gaps (very small, maybe 2-3mm ) just on the corners of the bumper... i had the same problem in my 3G as well

The problem is, that the lip kit does NOT come with enough double sided tape.... and when installing the kit, the installer is SUPPOSED to use a rubber roller of some sort, to press the kit against the bumper with a little more force, so that tape sticks

in the end. unless you take your SWEET time doing this (like free958 did) you will have gaps.... I have them... I plan to fix it one day, but removing the lip, and adding more double sided 3M tape in the corners where needed, to help the lip adhere to the bumper better
Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Racer

I have a WDP with the kit, the gap is VERY minor, like you literally have to come up and see it to notice it. I have the white rubber gasket I guess the dealer used for the gaps, but still not 100%.

I don't mind it, but in the long term, its not something I need to worry about it coming off or anything or becoming a bigger gap is it?

Also, don't tell me the kit is only held by double sided tape, there must be more to it?

Sorry for the stupid questions.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:06 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
^ there are also special "zip-tie" like clips... and a bolt or two

the kit wont "fall" off dont worry...
Old 10-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Advanced

I have the same problem...just noticed it the other day....i was getting ready to take it up to the dealership, but now i'm thinking twice about it...thanks to everyone who posted..
Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 AM
3rd Gear

Hi all, I am new to this forum, I am contemplating between the 2010 SW-AWD WDP with Taupe interior vs the umber. I have seen the taupe and WDP looks very slick, have not seen the WDP umber in person. Can anyone help with my decision.

Also i am planning on purchasing the Underbody Spoiler kit, it just looks so nice. Does anyone know the cost of it (installed by the dealer)

thanks, nice forum here
Old 10-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DA GHOST
Hi all, I am new to this forum, I am contemplating between the 2010 SW-AWD WDP with Taupe interior vs the umber. I have seen the taupe and WDP looks very slick, have not seen the WDP umber in person. Can anyone help with my decision.

Also i am planning on purchasing the Underbody Spoiler kit, it just looks so nice. Does anyone know the cost of it (installed by the dealer)

thanks, nice forum here
I can't remember the exact cost without getting the paperwork out of the glove compartment (lazy) but I think it was around 1200?
Old 10-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Racer

I got it installed for $1200 Canandian...normally $1500 up here but I got them to give it to me at their cost.

Its a MUST have, the car looks so much more aggressive!!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DA GHOST

thanks, nice forum here
The color thing is going to be a tough one. I have an 09 SH-AWD (no Tech) WDP with taupe interior and it looks quite nice. Then I went to the dealer yesterdapy to pick up some parts and they have the same car (w/Tech) with umber interior. Man, I like that better but the taupe, being a lighter color, makes the inside feel more roomier.

I think it's a personal decision so I think you should find both and see it in person.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Hi All,

I have quite the irritating gap issue(mine is what appears to be in a different area from what everyone is saying here - it is on the sides of the rear underbody trim pieces). I have no idea what to do and I've tried layering on some 3m (and even Gorilla) double-sided tape then "rollering" my kit over the bumper. Nothing seems to be working! It's great to know how strong these underbody pieces are (as it won't 'flex' to the molding of the bumper) but this gap is irritating. I've attached a few photos of how the gap looks. Does anyone have suggestion to resolve this? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have the underbody spoiler kit?-photo_1.jpg   Does anyone have the underbody spoiler kit?-photo_2.jpg   Does anyone have the underbody spoiler kit?-photo_3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Mr Marco (10-12-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
the zip tie piece inside the rear lip is detached from the rear lip.. its the fastener. it happened to my car. you have to find a way to re-attach it,.
The following users liked this post:
4GCEL28 (10-10-2011)
Old 10-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Received 673 Likes on 542 Posts
[quote=DrewV;11377706]Hi Everyone (sorry if you read that like Dr. Dick from the Simpsons),

I am a new 4G TL owner. Traded in my 04 TSX for one recently. So far, I love my car. Before I purchased the car, I opted for the underbody spoiler kit (front, rear, and sides). It looks really nice but I noticed a gap between the rear underbody spoiler and the rear bumper on the "corners" of the rear bumper (if you can understand what that meant). I asked the dealer about it and they said there is nothing they can do about it. Does this sound right? Does anyone else have one of these and can let me know how their kit fits?

I have a very small gap around the same area,i will be taking the car in at the end of this month for them to have a look at it,in the event that they are unable to fix it i will remove it myself and use some 3m vhb tape and then reinstall,the kit has some flex in this area and this should take care of the problem.For people that have used 3m tape make sure that you purchase the one that has 'vhb' written on it,i have used this on several applications without any problems.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Thank you KarKraze and potmilkz for the words of advice.

I should've included that I removed the clips on the inside of the rear underbody trim pieces - at the time I didn't think they played a critical role in the fitting of the bumper (I thought it was more of a security purpose). However I removed the clips so that in any situation (such as the one I am in now) I can re-attach them. I'll be doing this either this weekend or next and will update you all. I'm sure attaching and tightening those clips will be the solution - I just didn't know they were key in ridding those gaps.

I'll also look into putting some some vhb tape while everything is off.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Back at it with the TL SH

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
DOes anyone have the body kit on thier silver moon TL?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
For 2012 TL aero kit info, please go to this thread : https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/2012-tl-oem-aero-kit-834668/

In that thread, Jimmmer is planning to put on the Alabaster Silver aero kit on his car next weekend.

Alabaster Silver (Canada) = Moon Silver (US) = NH700M.

There is really no need to keep two threads going talking on the same thing.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Front and sides were installed today! Check out my thread in the photogallery forum.