Does The 4G TL Ride Too Hard? (Try To Be Honest)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:21 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by cornelius
For me, my TL is WAY too soft. I always have to go super slow on small bumps and dips or else the front will crash into the ground. I always scratch the bottom when coming out of strip malls unless I drive extremely slow. How is the suspension in other large cars like Lexus GS, Mercedes Eclass, or BMW 7series?? M3 and s4 shouldnt be compared here. Those are tiny cars, and out of the tiny I cars I think Mitsubishi Evo has the best suspension.
Are you being serious? That doesn't sound right. You may some busted shocks.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have owned three Acuras and test driven most every single one of them, including the TL SH-AWD (twice).

Having remembered the bone-jarring experiences with the RDX and the TSX, I was expecting the same for the TL.

It was a firm ride, but I did not find it harsh at all. Yes, I might have liked just a pinch softer but I found little to complain about.

Except road noise. Perhaps the tire tread has something to do with this.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbr
I have owned three Acuras and test driven most every single one of them, including the TL SH-AWD (twice).

Having remembered the bone-jarring experiences with the RDX and the TSX, I was expecting the same for the TL.

It was a firm ride, but I did not find it harsh at all. Yes, I might have liked just a pinch softer but I found little to complain about.

Except road noise. Perhaps the tire tread has something to do with this.
Definitenly concur with you, both the 3G TL and 4G TL have a smoother ride then the TSX and RDX. If people think the TL both base and AWD have a firm ride, go ride in a TSX and especially RDX and you'll see what a firm ride is really like
Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I had a TSX as a loaner for an extended weekend when my CL was having maintenance done and then looked at purchasing a TSX and test drove everything in the lineup before going with the TL SH-AWD....I like being able to interface with the road a bit. By that I mean when the cabin of a vehicle is dead silent or the ride too much like a a comfy sofa it's as if some information isn't being given to me about the condition of the road. Not only that but when getting on my car hard or when pressed to, I want her to sure footed and with an athelectic suspension.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by smarty666
Definitenly concur with you, both the 3G TL and 4G TL have a smoother ride then the TSX and RDX. If people think the TL both base and AWD have a firm ride, go ride in a TSX and especially RDX and you'll see what a firm ride is really like
smarty....my Accord ('08, which my son uses) rides very firm.....much firmer than my TL SH AWD. Since the TSX has the underpinnings of the Accord, it doesn't surprise me that it would ride more firm than the TL SH AWD (and certainly firmer than the TL base)>.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes, I'm 1 of those guys

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Last night was the first time that my wife let me drive the car some place other than the store. I did find that the ride was a little more solid then I would expect. I am hoping as the car ages, it will comm down some. I am comparing this to my 2000 528i with a worn out suspension.
Old 07-04-2010, 01:51 PM
8th Gear

I test drove a AWD the other day. I was very impressed. My 1st car was a BMW and now I drive a Challenger R/T which is pretty stiff. I don't think the AWD TL was too stiff. But it depends on what you're used to. I plan to get a FWD w/ Tech by the end on the year
Old 07-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Life at 6,000 feet. Nice.

The ride works very well for me. I test drove both versions of the TL and decided that the SH AWD was a better ride for my comfort level. But, surely we can agree that this is something that is subjective. What's too harsh for one person is going to be fine for another, right? There is no right answer.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The TL? Harsh ride? Whauchusmokin?

First, ride quality is very subjective and depends on what you've driven in the past, so if it feels harsh to you, it is and I can't argue with that.
I owned three Acuras (2 TLs and my RL) and they were all smooth-riding. I have personally driven the FWD and SH-AWD 4G TL and agree that the SH is firmer as befits its sportier mission, but was hardly harsh. With the SH, it was almost like they put the old A-Spec suspension on at the factory instead of making it an option.

Honestly, a magnetic ride shock option would be AWESOME, though very costly.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:36 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The TL? Harsh ride? Whauchusmokin?

First, ride quality is very subjective and depends on what you've driven in the past, so if it feels harsh to you, it is and I can't argue with that.
I owned three Acuras (2 TLs and my RL) and they were all smooth-riding. I have personally driven the FWD and SH-AWD 4G TL and agree that the SH is firmer as befits its sportier mission, but was hardly harsh. With the SH, it was almost like they put the old A-Spec suspension on at the factory instead of making it an option.

Honestly, a magnetic ride shock option would be AWESOME, though very costly.
It just seems to me that cars like the BMW 5 and the M-B E manage to "get the ride thing" a lot more 'right' than the TL. Both handle very very well and yet they seem to provide a far more comfortable, compliant ride in day to day normal driving conditions (read: road irregularities, potholes, etc.) than the tL which feels punishing in day to day driving on less than glass-like surfaces.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I don't think it's a harsh ride at all. It's firm but not harsh.

I drove the TL SH-AWD and G37Xs back to back - now, the G37Xs is MUCH firmer than the TL SH-AWD even!!!

The Audi A4 S-line is also much firmer too.

I do agree that BMW does it a bit better. MB does a good job too but it is more of a Lexus ride without the floaty feeling.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by ostrich
I don't think it's a harsh ride at all. It's firm but not harsh.

I drove the TL SH-AWD and G37Xs back to back - now, the G37Xs is MUCH firmer than the TL SH-AWD even!!!

The Audi A4 S-line is also much firmer too.

I do agree that BMW does it a bit better. MB does a good job too but it is more of a Lexus ride without the floaty feeling.
I kind of had the same experiences when I was test driving. Had two previous BMWs....plus, I test drove a new 3 and 5 series. Familiar with them. Different ride/handling (xDrive). Wouldn't say better than the TL SH AWD. More similar than different as a matter of fact.

Drove a Mercedes C300 4 matic....probably the closest in ride handling to the TL SH AWD.

A4/5 rode a little nicer, but with more body roll.

Gx was harsher and didn't handle as well, IMHO!

To me, the ride/handling of the SH AWD was ideal....FOR ME! YMMV!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

SH-AWD is a bit harsh, but not too bad. I think it is noisy though; possibly the OEM tires??? Not to mention I got into the TL from a 05 GS300 Lexus, which is library quiet inside. I took my car in for service the other day, got a FWD loaner for 24hrs and the FWD felt softer than my SH-AWD.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:01 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm coming from a Lexus IS 250 and about to take delivery of a TL SH-AWD 6MT tomorrow. I'm picking it up from a dealer 800 miles away, so I'll have a good opportunity to see how the TL AWD rides over a long trip. Initial test drives of the AWD TL at the local dealership showed me that the TL AWD did not ride a whole lot worse than my Lexus.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lji
I'm coming from a Lexus IS 250 and about to take delivery of a TL SH-AWD 6MT tomorrow. I'm picking it up from a dealer 800 miles away, so I'll have a good opportunity to see how the TL AWD rides over a long trip. Initial test drives of the AWD TL at the local dealership showed me that the TL AWD did not ride a whole lot worse than my Lexus.
I don't think the TL SHAWD will "ride a whole lot worse" than the IS250. However, when it comes to noise and bump absorbtion, the IS250 is way ahead of the TL SHAWD.

Everytime I get into my friends IS250, it's really quiet and you don't even notice most bumps, they're all easily absorbed. In my late SHAWD, you heard and felt each and every little bump. I think vehicle noise (wind noise, glass thickness) is fine, it's the poor bump absorbtion from the suspension (or larger tires?) that makes the SHAWD noisy and stiff (though, not jarring).
Old 11-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 365 Posts
I wonder if you had tire or shock issues with your AWD. This is all subjective, of course, but my 6MT has a very nice ride and is quite quiet. It's not as isolated-feeling as the larger Lexus models (i.e., GS, ES), but to me strikes a very nice balance between very good handling and smooth, quiet (but firm) ride.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Bearing in mind that I have been driving a 2008 Civic Si and Mazda MX6 for the past two years...

I think the ride in the TL is perfect. Its sporty, communicative, and not one bit jarring. Not once have I gone over a bump, pot hole, or railroad crossing that has jolted me.

If I can drive from A-to-B in a relaxed mood, and not be startled or "jarred" from any of the road blemishes, I consider that a great thing. The SH-AWD TL is a very good blend of firm and soft.

Quite honestly, you're comparing a vehicle that isn't intended to be a wafting cruiser to a Mercedes. If my wife and I wanted a ride that was pillow soft, we wouldn't have considered the TL. We wanted a sporty sedan that is a great value, which none of the BMWs or MBs can fulfill.

German cars I have driven and to which I compare: MB S320, BMW 330i, 325i, 525i, 530i, 540i Sport Wagon, 745, Z4 3.0, etc.

Not to mention the fact that by the time my friend's 1990 525i hit 220,000 miles he had his 4th auto transmission, new head, and every other problem you can imagine. My Acura Legend with 230,000 miles has a perfectly running original transmission and engine. Only time will tell if these comparisons remain relevant, but I am sure its not a total 180*.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The thing about the TL SH is it comes with a standard sport package and with the larger rim and lower profile tire setup. Many of the times the comprison is a little off base because the competitor car being referenced does not have the sport package or upgraded rim and tires, usually has norrower rubber and is on the smaller rims, sometimes with a larger tire diameter for improved noise and ride quality. That is more inline with the FWD model and is mostly how and why they differentiate the two.

The TL SH is AWD and front biased which doesn't help that situation and it uses the same large tire and rim setup all around, it's not staggered as many RWD cars are and many of the AWD competitors use smaller norrower setup, some with more rubber diamater.

Their tire choice in the Michelins are on the sporty side of all season touring. Others often use the popular and also cost effective Bridgestone and Continental all seasons models which I have had in previous cars and they are quieter and improve the ride quality a bit but really sacrifice in handling and grip and wear quicker with spirited driving but can last longer used normally in comparison.

The SH suspension is firm, firmer than a lot of cars it compares to and that is a big reason why it is as capable as it is but it is not necessarily as harsh as some of those that handle no better or worse.

I think all of this has to be taken into consideration and combined with probably the biggest reason for it, in what seems like Acura not sound insulating the wheel wells as well as they could have to allow for the car's engine and exhaust note to be heard through the cabin while not sacrificing wind and exterior noise at the same time, which is something previous owners called for and is another reason they left out the active noise cancellation.

Because of that, it is a bit noisy over bumps but that is only really apparent with no stereo or heat or A/C running in my experience. If you are driving in silence, essentially looking for it, you notice it immediately and it is a bit loud but for normal driving and given the car's ability and demeanor, it's not something terrible or overly apparent IMO but it is something that could be improved.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 11-05-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
I wonder if you had tire or shock issues with your AWD. This is all subjective, of course, but my 6MT has a very nice ride and is quite quiet. It's not as isolated-feeling as the larger Lexus models (i.e., GS, ES), but to me strikes a very nice balance between very good handling and smooth, quiet (but firm) ride.
I haven't driven a 6MT yet, but it has been said that the 6MT is lighter and it's suspension is tweaked to feel better than the Auto SHAWD.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
I think all of this has to be taken into consideration and combined with probably the biggest reason for it, in what seems like Acura not sound insulating the wheel wells as well as they could have to allow for the car's engine and exhaust note to be heard through the cabin while not sacrificing wind and exterior noise at the same time, which is something previous owners called for and is another reason they left out the active noise cancellation.

Because of that, it is a bit noisy over bumps but that is only really apparent with no stereo or heat or A/C running in my experience. If you are driving in silence, essentially looking for it, you notice it immediately and it is a bit loud but for normal driving and given the car's ability and demeanor, it's not something terrible or overly apparent IMO but it is something that could be improved.
Yea exactly, it is noisy/busy but NOT jarring, the ride itself is quite comfy, which i appreciate. I just did not like the noise and "touchy" suspension (aka, feel every bump). btw i don't "look for noise" but I do like a quiet ride. I guess I'm particularly sensitive to noise, but I'm not alone, there are numerous reviews complaining about the auto SHAWD's noise. Note, the nvh "problem" pretty much only applies to the AUTO SHAWD, my base is pretty quiet and no one has complained about the 6mt.

I'm still looking into the MMC TL and will take a loss if the car is good enough
Old 11-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Winslovtec raised some excellent points; the TL SH-AWD isn't harsh and yet handles well. What I found it lacking in was composure; it doesn't absorb the small stuff and settle down the way the German brands do. But that's not the same as harsh - more like busy.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone who has extensive experience behind the wheel of a BMW or M-B will immediately feel the difference when driving a TL. Especially so, the SH-AWD TL. For some reason, the German offerings just get the ride compliance/firmness thing 'right.' The TL is way too harsh. It's not complicated. Just drive a 3 series or 5 series back-to-back with a TL and get back to me. Don't get me wrong, the TL give you an absolutely bullet-proof car in terms of reliability and quality of construction. It's also a tremendous bargain. But you do give up a comfortable ride. With the German brands, you give up nothing except your dollars.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Anyone who has extensive experience behind the wheel of a BMW or M-B will immediately feel the difference when driving a TL. Especially so, the SH-AWD TL. For some reason, the German offerings just get the ride compliance/firmness thing 'right.' The TL is way too harsh. It's not complicated. Just drive a 3 series or 5 series back-to-back with a TL and get back to me. Don't get me wrong, the TL give you an absolutely bullet-proof car in terms of reliability and quality of construction. It's also a tremendous bargain. But you do give up a comfortable ride. With the German brands, you give up nothing except your dollars.
I like the TL's ride over the C-300. I rented one for over a week and I thought it's ride was a bit too firm for me. Now the BMW is a different story, I thought it was just right for the car. I only drove it once (my sisters car) but I thought the ride was surprisingly good for as sporty as it is. Just my two cents.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Advanced

I just realized you are in NYC. No wonder you find the difference so big. Those roads will make any two cars seem significantly different. I am in Virginia, and our roads aren't exactly well-groomed, but I still can't relate to what you just posted. That being said, I believe I am going to go out on a relaxing cruise on some country roads in a few minutes.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
I generally agree the Germans get the ride/handling balance better than the others, but all should bear in mind Winstrolvtec's first paragraph: make sure you're comparing comparably equipped cars. Without the sport packages, BMW's have good handling, but not the razor sharp reflexes that allow them to win most Car & Driver comparison tests. They also have a very comfortable ride. With the Sport Package, the handling is spectacular, but the ride is stiffer, partly due to the low profile run-flat tires. It's all about which balance you prefer, and I'd take the sport package.

I haven't driven a current-gen TL, but have a 2010 TSX, and I think its ride/handling balance is outstanding, certainly better than the multiple previous generation TL's I've driven. It might even have the best balance, for me, of any non-BMW sedan I've driven. It's somewhere between the BMW 328i with and without the sport package, but closer to the non-sport. Many non-enthusiasts would probably find it too harsh, or at least too "busy," but after eight years in a 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero it seems almost cushy to me.

Now, if they could only fix that steering...
Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 PM
OMGTHEDONNY

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Big price difference though

Anyone who's ridden in/driven a BMW or M-B know how they've mastered the art of ride compliance vs. handling. Simply put, the TL has not. It rides way too hard and is jarring on all but the best paved surfaces. The FWD car is way too hard and the AWD car is simply ridiculous.

And don't tell me "it adds to the car's sportiness," etc. because, as I said earlier, BMW and M-B pull off the perfect suspension tuning without a hitch. And I defy you to say BMW designs cars that wallow or are too loose.

Well, I came from a Subaru and the ride in that was WAY worse then my TL-SH so I'm happy its a night and day difference. BMW indeed has the best ride - but than again to get a BMW with the power, awd and tech my TL has I would have to pay about 15,000$ more
Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

Well it's no surprise your rally car subaru had a worse ride than the premium sporty sedan acura
Old 11-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
If you want to experience a hard to explain ride, test drive a Genesis sedan. Don't know if my a** is used to Acura but on bumpy roads the Genesis gave me motion sickiness. It doesn't recover and regain composure well imo. On freeways it feels tall and the steering looses it's feel. Again imo. Quick lane changes cause the cabin to sway but the car remains firmly planted. Hard to explain. My wife and I both noticed how much road noise could be heard in the Genesis cabin.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:05 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I find that AWD vehicles in general have a rougher ride than non-awd vehicles. I also think the steering is harder as well.
I don't mind it, but I can see where older folks would not like it.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jspagna1
I find that AWD vehicles in general have a rougher ride than non-awd vehicles. I also think the steering is harder as well.
I don't mind it, but I can see where older folks would not like it.

Ditto, must be the configuration.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Cruisin'

I have a 2010 BasicFWD/Tech. Having owned a 2ndGenTL , AudiA4 and a Caddy DTS I find the 2010 about right for driving in upstate NY. Not soft or not harsh. A better ride than the A4 and a more sportier feel than the 2nd GenTL. The Caddy was a different class altogether. No complaints from me.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Intermediate

Anyone who's ridden in/driven a BMW or M-B know how they've mastered the art of ride compliance vs. handling. Simply put, the TL has not. It rides way too hard and is jarring on all but the best paved surfaces. The FWD car is way too hard and the AWD car is simply ridiculous.

And don't tell me "it adds to the car's sportiness," etc. because, as I said earlier, BMW and M-B pull off the perfect suspension tuning without a hitch. And I defy you to say BMW designs cars that wallow or are too loose.
What are you talking about? I know its all subjective, but my TL gives a much smoother ride on any pavement compared to what a 335xi does, so I guess it depends on the exact model your comparing it to.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
ding ding

I love the ride.. I have been in the G37x and this car has a much smoother ride
Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the stock suspension for the AWD is a perfect setup. Its very sporty with some comfort also. Not too stiff but not too soft but everyone is different.

I prefer a more sportier setup. I like stiffness(not crazy stiff though). It gives me that road hugging feeling. After getting my coilovers installed, I set it to be just a tad stiffer than the OEM setup.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
I drove back to back the TL SH-AWD (which I own) and the 335ix and 535ix which I cross shopped...

The TL SH-AWD has a firm ride...not uncomfortable (the fabolous seats filter a lot) just firm.....which you have to expect from a sport sedan with sport tuned suspensions, but extremely precise at the same time......it is literally glued to the ground so I guess that is the price you have to pay.

The 335ix felt as firm but not as glued on the road (but a lot depends on the actual tire setup of the car you actually test...it is hard to make generalization where the tires are a huge factor)....the 535ix felt softer, just a touch more puffery but, again, not as firmly planted and sure footed.

But I do like the BMW steering setup better (part of it is because of the RWD platform).....I like a lot its comunicative feeling...the TL is sharp accurate but it feels more sort of like a videogame....not much feedback.

I ride often in an A4....yes it is softer, but not as planted or precise...definitely more wallowing.....you cannot really compare the regular A4 with a TL SH-AWD.....the S4 instead is a different thing...

If you look for a puffy ride the TL SH-AWD (and probably the regular FWD TL too) is not the car for you......it is a sport sedan...get the RL or something else.

Last edited by saturno_v; 01-21-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by buster04
I love the ride.. I have been in the G37x and this car has a much smoother ride
Absolutely
Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM
The Sicilian

Originally Posted by 2010_TL
I think the stock suspension for the AWD is a perfect setup. Its very sporty with some comfort also. Not too stiff but not too soft but everyone is different.

I prefer a more sportier setup. I like stiffness(not crazy stiff though). It gives me that road hugging feeling.
I'm with you. The last 2 Maximas I've owned were the SE models for that specific reason. Sporty but not too stiff.
It also depends a lot on the tires on the car. A strictly summer performance tire is going to give a lot stiffer ride than an all season tire.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
If you want to experience a hard to explain ride, test drive a Genesis sedan. Don't know if my a** is used to Acura but on bumpy roads the Genesis gave me motion sickiness. It doesn't recover and regain composure well imo. On freeways it feels tall and the steering looses it's feel. Again imo. Quick lane changes cause the cabin to sway but the car remains firmly planted. Hard to explain. My wife and I both noticed how much road noise could be heard in the Genesis cabin.
BINGO! DITTO! I was close back in 2009 to a Genesis and they let me keep one overnigth as they scratched the bumper ont he car Iw as going to take. Well I came away with same feeling. The back suspension was sloppy and I felt the car made me feel like I was on a bad cruise and felt literally motion sickness form the subtle uncrontrolled way liek action of the body.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm glad I'm not alone KeithL.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My previous 3 cars were German, vw gti, BMW 535i, and BMW 540i with sport package. The tl shawd I currently own has a somewhat harsher ride than the 540, better than the vw and much firmer than the 535. However, the BMW's are very sensitive to the balance of the tires and wear of the front suspension parts. Look on any BMW form for "shimmy" and you will get an idea of the problem. When everything is just right, I believe BMW has the best ride characteristics of any car I have ever driven. Keeping them just right will entail considerable coin as they get over 60k miles. My 540 with the staggered wheels devoured rear tires averaging about 10-12k per set.

Quick Reply: Does The 4G TL Ride Too Hard? (Try To Be Honest)